Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

vyelkin posted:

It turns out Orangina is just a normal kind of fizzy fruit juice my dad bought to keep us quiet at the grocery store and not a fancy drink reserved for special occasions.

Oh that would have been my third guess on what orangina would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterPanda
Jan 3, 2022
Outback steakhouse. My dad was a high profile lawyer in the 90's, so I had been to nice steakhouses, I assumed incorrectly that outback was among them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PeterPanda posted:

Outback steakhouse. My dad was a high profile lawyer in the 90's, so I had been to nice steakhouses, I assumed incorrectly that outback was among them.

Are you a Kardashian or Johnny Cochran's kid?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I feel like Outback steakhouse is.. fine. It's a steak at the price of a steak. Not amazing but not Olive Garden tier

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i highly recommend any pa goons to check out hoss's steak and seahouse. hoss's is hoss-pitality!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like my only equivalent "I thought this was fancy!" is likely incomprehensible to non-Danes. It was a franchise called Jensen's Bøfhus(literally Jensen's Steakhouse) that my mom took me to as a kid a few times after she separated from my dad.

I think the penny dropped that it was a franchise and nothing fancy was one week where it felt like all of their franchise locations got obliterated by health inspections that declared them super unsanitary.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I remember being blown away by the discovery that that the UK had more than three flavours of crisps.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I thought any restaurant with a porte cochère was a fancy place, which by extension meant Red Lobster was fancy.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Essentially all brown mustards, but especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvDazrJuSdA

And then getting to ride in my cousin's car where he would do this in traffic.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Any restaurant where you pay AFTER you eat

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like my only equivalent "I thought this was fancy!" is likely incomprehensible to non-Danes. It was a franchise called Jensen's Bøfhus(literally Jensen's Steakhouse) that my mom took me to as a kid a few times after she separated from my dad.

I think the penny dropped that it was a franchise and nothing fancy was one week where it felt like all of their franchise locations got obliterated by health inspections that declared them super unsanitary.

And what did they give you? Something more valuable than money: and impossibly robust immune system.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Milo and POTUS posted:

And what did they give you? Something more valuable than money: and impossibly robust immune system.

Not sure about my immune system, but I've eaten plastic forks(accidentally), several kilos of cherry pits and some plum pits with no discomfort, so I think it might've hardened my digestive system.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yes, Viennetta! It was supposed to be a dessert "for adults" because I think it had alcohol in it, but young teenage me wanted one of those so bad.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned already: Crossfire. Now it just looks like a marble shooter, but I totally fell for the badass late '80s marketing: "Crossfiyah!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a fun game but man that commercial set the bar so high nothing could match it

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Viennetta didn't have alcohol in it, at least in the US. It was just layers of ice cream and thin chocolate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrv81wY8HQ

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yes, Viennetta! It was supposed to be a dessert "for adults" because I think it had alcohol in it, but young teenage me wanted one of those so bad.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned already: Crossfire. Now it just looks like a marble shooter, but I totally fell for the badass late '80s marketing: "Crossfiyah!"

Whoever told you it had alcohol in it was pulling a swift one to get your share, brother. You were robbed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Did you somehow confuse viennettas with trifles?

Trifle (and tiramisu) always seemed fancy to me as a child, probably because alcohol and coffee were for adults so putting them in a dessert obviously made it sophisticated.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My grandpa on my mom's side had satellite TV, but it was back in 90s when satellite TV meant a bigass dish in the backyard so I thought he might as well have been the richest man on the planet.

Also echoing everyone else about going to chain restaurants. My family lived in a very small town when I was growing up so to even get to one of those places it was like an hour long drive, so it was basically a day long affair where we crammed in a ton of shopping and other junk.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Hickory Farms sausages and cheeses

Friendly's ice cream

Saturday morning anime shows. I kept watching them even though they were boring and incomprehensible because I thought maybe I just wasn't old enough to appreciate how sophisticated they were. Nope, they were boring and incomprehensible.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That last post hit the spot regarding something that I think is currently impossible to experience: watching/reading/playing something incomprehensible, as a young person, bored and confused, yet having nothing else for entertainment, thinking you're just too stupid to appreciate it. Kid's media is much, much better than it used to be, to say nothing about the amount, variety and ease of access

Or maybe kids nowadays find strange poo poo on YouTube and it rewires their little soft brains :nomnom:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I feel like Outback steakhouse is.. fine. It's a steak at the price of a steak. Not amazing but not Olive Garden tier

bloomin' onion blowin' kids minds with its fanciness

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Buttchocks posted:

Hickory Farms sausages and cheeses

Oh man that hit me hard as a tweenage mall walker but as an adult I am sort of at a loss to defend it. The weird pipe shop with the meerschaums and the leaded glass crystal wizard and dragon sculptures. And something that proceeded sharper image. Eventually the pewter statues bled down to the walking mall with the guy selling smoke accessories and his son's shop next door with the occult knives and nunchakus. Good place to get nitrous cartridges and buy weed out on the street as we transitioned to fully illegal to medical to recreational.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BalloonFish posted:

This was TGI Friday's when we were kids - there was one about a 50 minute drive away from us in a retail/business park that also had a UCI cinema. Both were rarely visited and seemed like such a Big Deal when we did. Especially TGIF's because it had dark wood panelling, antiques on the walls (we always tried to sit at a table under a moose head), Tiffany lamps and a bar in the middle.

Wait, is it... Is it not? I guess so... I've literally only ever been there for birthdays and wedding aniversaries, and only as a young kid, because we didn't have a car (or money) after I was 10.

I remember sitting in a Chiquitos and watching fireworks go off for the millenium. Now you're gonna tell me that wasn't fancy either!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

laserghost posted:

That last post hit the spot regarding something that I think is currently impossible to experience: watching/reading/playing something incomprehensible, as a young person, bored and confused, yet having nothing else for entertainment, thinking you're just too stupid to appreciate it. Kid's media is much, much better than it used to be, to say nothing about the amount, variety and ease of access

Borrowing a game from your uncle when you were 8 and being unable to decipher whether your lack of progress was:

Genuine lack of understanding
Language barrier
The game just being awful trash

And smashing your head against it repeatedly for hours, refusing to give up, and having it stuck in your mind for a decade or more later, remembering a weird cover or a couple of screens and having it just be a baffling mess. Then eventually it pops up in your youtube feed in a strange video where you learn that it was an intentionaly bad game made by InfoSoftCorp to retain the rights to a little-known piece of IP for a couple of years longer, and a little weight lifts from your brain.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Going to a place that served sandwiches with a long thin pickle slice on the side

(regardless if those sandwiches were from a diner in cheap red plastic baskets; bonus pickle = fancy)

Enfys has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Sep 24, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PurpleXVI posted:

Borrowing a game from your uncle when you were 8 and being unable to decipher whether your lack of progress was:

Genuine lack of understanding
Language barrier
The game just being awful trash

And smashing your head against it repeatedly for hours, refusing to give up, and having it stuck in your mind for a decade or more later, remembering a weird cover or a couple of screens and having it just be a baffling mess. Then eventually it pops up in your youtube feed in a strange video where you learn that it was an intentionaly bad game made by InfoSoftCorp to retain the rights to a little-known piece of IP for a couple of years longer, and a little weight lifts from your brain.
Or the opposite. The end level marker in the 1996 gameboy game prehistorik man is a weird bouncing traffic light thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zji0hguQ1JU&t=24m15s
Oh there's the fucker. Huh, cool gorilla boss I never saw before literally today because it never occurred to me to walk slightly to the left and fall straight loving down.

E: I'm in this weird zen state of rage and acceptance.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Sep 24, 2023

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

These came in a fancy package and on the rare occasion they were available you could only eat one

Also Red Lobster. So fancy I was never once able to eat there

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

These came in a fancy package and on the rare occasion they were available you could only eat one

Also Red Lobster. So fancy I was never once able to eat there
Also, Pepperidge Farms frozen cakes. It was always An Event when one of these came out of the big freezer in the basement.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
cappuccino. We only had instant coffee at home because we were cheap frugal, but once in a while I would get to go to a coffee shop downtown that live jazz and poetry readings, and I would get a plain cappuccino and feel like the biggest hipster. It still feels like a treat to get one, but it's far less exotic now.

Also going to the fancy mall in some other town instead of the rundown local mall.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Flipperwaldt posted:

What's that thing called where everybody gets a tiny pan for frying food on a small electric or alcohol burner while you're at the table? That.

Raclette?

We enjoyed its vague cousin fondue frequently growing up (at least I associate cheese fondue with raclette). Not sure if it's because of the time my parents spent in Europe or because it was the 70s. I keep the tradition alive even though it's a mess to clean up, and I have to have two different broth bowls most of the time as my wife and I are both vegetarians and a cube of steak floating in our vegetables and raviolis is sort of gross.

Shrimp curry with saffron. I remember my father coming home with saffron once and my mother being so excited. It was like he was Han Solo pulling a bundle of spice out of the hidden compartments on the Millennium Falcon instead of an accountant pulling a jar out of a suitcase.

To echo something I've heard already, Red Lobster. I loving loved crab legs as a kid...until I was finally allowed to order lobster, not at Red Lobster, but somewhere else. Oh man did I feel like the King of Siam or something that day. Too bad my dad died pretty soon after that and I never got to order lobster again (because my mom wouldn't go to such an extravagant restaurant). I made it a couple of times in college before I became a vegetarian though, and it was awesome. And morally wrong, I see that now. But awesome. Why is my mouth watering?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

To this day, the freezer being at the bottom of the fridge rather than the top feels uncomfortably bougie

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I guess that must be it. It's weird though that here in Belgium people call it a fondue set, which is definitely just wrong. And it was always meat focused in the 80s. As in what the pictures on the box would suggest. I've only heard the word raclette for the first time in the mid 2010s when suddenly there was a massive marketing thing for that type of cheese. It feels like a thing that should have a proper English language name, but maybe it just doesn't. If not the Americans, then surely the Brits wouldn't have been immune to it being all the rage here in the 70s and 80s.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Flipperwaldt posted:

I guess that must be it. It's weird though that here in Belgium people call it a fondue set, which is definitely just wrong. And it was always meat focused in the 80s. As in what the pictures on the box would suggest. I've only heard the word raclette for the first time in the mid 2010s when suddenly there was a massive marketing thing for that type of cheese. It feels like a thing that should have a proper English language name, but maybe it just doesn't. If not the Americans, then surely the Brits wouldn't have been immune to it being all the rage here in the 70s and 80s.

I mean, loads and loads of proper english food names arefrench

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Buttchocks posted:

Also going to the fancy mall in some other town instead of the rundown local mall.

This basically reminded me that our local movie theater was trash (we also had a drive-in theater but living in GA meant that 80% of the year going meant it was still uncomfortably warm unless you just never cut the engine the whole time) so driving to the next town over and going to see a movie at a multiplex where the theater was half-decent and air conditioned? poo poo we may as well have been at some Hollywood premiere to my mind

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This made me remember, the last time I ever spoke to my dad and his new wife about a decade ago, she said "oh they're building a Morrisons here, but it won't do well. It's too posh for this area so nobody'll shop there."

:confused:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Power Windows and automatic transmission

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
The restaurant "Steak & Ale" and Royal Crown cola.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
That one mall that had a chandelier and a palm tree in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Frasier Crane