Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Essentially all brown mustards, but especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvDazrJuSdA

And then getting to ride in my cousin's car where he would do this in traffic.

I tried this finally as an adult and it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Tenkaris posted:

Frasier Crane

In hindsight Frasier reminds me a lot of my brother. Came from a blue collar family, first generation to go to college, married a girl from a rich family and got up his own rear end about rejecting anything not fancy because he's insecure about his class status.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DrBouvenstein posted:

A particular thing I remember is that I thought of using "Hamburger Helper" as fancy because I'd see it in stores/commercials, but WE didn't have it, so therefore it must be fancy...right?

I keep thinking about this one, I never would've come up with it on my own but it's 100% accurate. I mean, various noodles and sauces with burger mixed in were even in my mom's regular cooking rotation, and I'm sure they were higher quality since they were made from scratch. But the fancy box version must be so much better, we probably can't have it because it's too delicious :negative:

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

My dad worked at Ferrero's factory and yet I still thought these were the hoytie-toytiest fanciest and thereby most expensive chocolates you could get. We only ever got them at Christmas in the employee gift hamper, along with a Tic-Tac T-shirt and a bunch of other Ferrero products that never got sold in Ireland.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Eating at Red Lobster

Going to movie theaters that had new movies. We went to dollar theaters.

When I spent the night at a friends house and learned we were gonna see a movie that came out that weekend, I didn’t believe it until the movie actually started playing. I thought they were tricking me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just remembered those Hickory Farms gift baskets. Somebody would send us one for Christmas every once in a while, and it always seemed ridiculously indulgent despite being comprised of things we probably had on hand anyway, probably because everything was in tiny individual packages.
Small jam jars? :aaa:
Little salamis? :aaaaa:
Cheese wedges with a flavor more robust than mozzarella or American? 🤯

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just remembered those Hickory Farms gift baskets. Somebody would send us one for Christmas every once in a while, and it always seemed ridiculously indulgent despite being comprised of things we probably had on hand anyway, probably because everything was in tiny individual packages.
Small jam jars? :aaa:
Little salamis? :aaaaa:
Cheese wedges with a flavor more robust than mozzarella or American? 🤯
Man, they're not fancy at all but I still love getting those or one of those Harry and David things. They're just a little holiday party in a basket for only thrice what you would pay for the items at a regular store.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Man, they're not fancy at all but I still love getting those or one of those Harry and David things. They're just a little holiday party in a basket for only thrice what you would pay for the items at a regular store.

Yeah, I made myself hungry for one writing that out. That's all stuff I could just go buy at the store right now, but I really want it in basket form! :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's a local version of Hickory Farms in my area called Dakin Farms, and it is a lot closer to the fanciness we all thought Hickory Farms was. Local VT/New England/NY meats, cheeses, honey, jams, snacks, etc...

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I was also a poor 80’s kid. Any sit down restaurant was an occasion. Seeing other kids get new sneakers before the last pair was literally falling apart was inconceivable to me. I’d get a new pair at the start of the school year and I’d be wearing those fuckers till the next year.

Also, foreign cars. I don’t think my family had anything other than Fords or Chevys and all of them were very much used up when we got them. One of our neighbors got a new Nissan Maxima and it seriously felt like being in a space ship compared to moms 76 Ford LTD.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

the pears are really good

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
M’y childhood best friend’s house had a basement. And not just that. There was this storage tunnel place in there with two!!! doors. Inside there, he had a whole drat second N64.

What was that place, Versailles?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't impressed until the second N64. Jesus, the opulence

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I had the strange impression that table lamps were fancy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

grittyreboot posted:

Myrtle Beach

Myrtle Beach has gone so fuckin' downhill.

TwoPair posted:

I have a feeling this is a pretty universal experience for everyone growing up in South Carolina (or indeed much of the South)

North Carolina for sure. If your family was going on vacation to Myrtle y'all were *fancy*.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

My dad worked at Ferrero's factory and yet I still thought these were the hoytie-toytiest fanciest and thereby most expensive chocolates you could get. We only ever got them at Christmas in the employee gift hamper, along with a Tic-Tac T-shirt and a bunch of other Ferrero products that never got sold in Ireland.

Someone in the Irish Sea definitely pulled some poo poo with these because my family thought the same thing

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In high school. all my friends had cable TV with HBO!

Looking back now, they only got about 12 channels. Still, that was high-living.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Oh yeah those "Ambassador's Reception" ads convinced me those were exclusive high society things.
I'm hosting a bunch of dignitaries tonight, good thing Ferrero Rocher is £6 for a 24 pack with my Tesco Clubcard app.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

coronation street

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

git apologist posted:

coronation street

The soap opera?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
the queen of england (even less fancy now than when i was a kid)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How about those Royal Dansk Butter Cookies that came in those round tins that grandmas always would repurpose as sewing kits

As a kid I assumed it was because the cookies were really expensive and she wanted to keep the tin as a memento of the time when there were cookies in it, the sewing supplies were just a bonus

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Data Graham posted:

How about those Royal Dansk Butter Cookies that came in those round tins that grandmas always would repurpose as sewing kits

As a kid I assumed it was because the cookies were really expensive and she wanted to keep the tin as a memento of the time when there were cookies in it, the sewing supplies were just a bonus

My dad used to keep all his old receipts in those tins.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bitterandtwisted posted:

Oh yeah those "Ambassador's Reception" ads convinced me those were exclusive high society things.
I'm hosting a bunch of dignitaries tonight, good thing Ferrero Rocher is £6 for a 24 pack with my Tesco Clubcard app.
The Ferrero empire is basically built on using post war Italian hazelnut production to make cheap chocolatey Nutella and Rocher and then advertising the hell out of them as fancy. Chocolate money for Mediterranean nuts is very lucrative.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Double entry but I just remembered this. When we would take road trips when I was a kid, stopping at a Holiday Inn and seeing the "Sanitized!" paper band around the toilet seat made me think we were in a high-class joint.

I have no idea when or if they stopped this; it would have been late 70s or so that I'm remembering.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Admiralty Flag posted:

Double entry but I just remembered this. When we would take road trips when I was a kid, stopping at a Holiday Inn and seeing the "Sanitized!" paper band around the toilet seat made me think we were in a high-class joint.

I have no idea when or if they stopped this; it would have been late 70s or so that I'm remembering.

That reminds me of going to Disney World as a kid. Specifically that was the one time my aunt took me and we stayed at one of the on-property Mouse-owned fancy hotels that cost five hundred billion dollars, and the housekeeper knew I was a little kid and would leave the fresh wash cloths folded into various cute animals. That felt like I was royalty.

Really the entirety of Disney prolly counts. I've been there as an adult and it's still fun, but it feels as trashy as it is vs being a kid and thinking it's heaven on earth.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

zedprime posted:

The Ferrero empire is basically built on using post war Italian hazelnut production to make cheap chocolatey Nutella and Rocher and then advertising the hell out of them as fancy. Chocolate money for Mediterranean nuts is very lucrative.

That takes me back. When I was a kid, we got to visit some friends who'd moved to France, and Nutella was one of the foods I saw for the first time that really made an impression on me. It felt way too decadent and exotic, for something that you could actually just grab at the grocery store.

Same for Teisseire drink concentrates. They're functionally the same thing as kool-aid mix, but the fact that they were liquid in big fancy looking cans just made them seem extra special. I think this thread had established how little it took to amaze me as a kid, now slap fancy foreign words on top of that, and it'll blow me away :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Both quality street and cadburys roses.

Roses are still kinda fancy in my mind...

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Scalloped potatoes. Not the real ones, the ones from a box. We only had them when we had the type of company that warranted the nice plates and the linen tablecloths so I just assumed.

Also cranberry sauce with actual cranberries in it (still from a can though). Turns out it was a rare treat because my mom fuckin hates it and likes the flavored jello kind, so we'd only have it on holidays when the store was out of that.

Oh, and anything from the ocean. Fish, shramp, crab, seaweed, doesn't matter. Aside from canned tuna we never had any of it, and my ludicrously rich friend's parents found out and started making fish every time I was over (thanks for trying, Weiss family) which reinforced the idea. Once again, just something my mom didn't like.

Also I don't know if I would say I thought it was fancy but Jewish holidays. Most of my friends were Jewish or half, and my parents were non-observing Christians because my older brother went too hard in the paint on Jesus (he's a Westboro-adjacent Baptist and refers to his kids as "God's warriors"). Because I never really had any religious holidays, several families adopted me for the purpose and they had all the fanciest accessories so it was always a huge to-do with extended family coming over, and I was always made to feel included (partly because nobody really knew whose kids were whose) which was both nice and extremely unique. My friend Doug's grandfather even gave me a bootleg Mitzvah in their living room on a rainy afternoon. Jewish holidays were always a good time.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
For a while in the 90s and early 00s, I would stay in motels and hotels which had those "you can steal the removable part but it'll be useless" hangers:

So every time a hotel would have proper hangers, I'd think of it as a serious step up.

Was it? Maybe!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Owning a dishwasher. Every house or apartment I’ve lived in as an adult has had one, but when I was a kid, having a whole-rear end machine to just wash your cups and plates was some rich-people notions.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Boxer shorts

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Having Showtime or HBO

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Trabant posted:

For a while in the 90s and early 00s, I would stay in motels and hotels which had those "you can steal the removable part but it'll be useless" hangers:

So every time a hotel would have proper hangers, I'd think of it as a serious step up.

Was it? Maybe!

Oh my god THAT'S what those weird rings in the closet in my old apartment were??? Why did my apartment have those???

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Killingyouguy! posted:

Oh my god THAT'S what those weird rings in the closet in my old apartment were??? Why did my apartment have those???

you were living in a cheap motel, that's why

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Trabant posted:

Was it? Maybe!

I would simply buy the little things they attach to at the top

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Those battery operated cars kids could sit in and drive. I had a secondhand one that I had to pedal like a loving chump

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Also I don't know if I would say I thought it was fancy but Jewish holidays. Most of my friends were Jewish or half, and my parents were non-observing Christians because my older brother went too hard in the paint on Jesus (he's a Westboro-adjacent Baptist and refers to his kids as "God's warriors"). Because I never really had any religious holidays, several families adopted me for the purpose and they had all the fanciest accessories so it was always a huge to-do with extended family coming over, and I was always made to feel included (partly because nobody really knew whose kids were whose) which was both nice and extremely unique. My friend Doug's grandfather even gave me a bootleg Mitzvah in their living room on a rainy afternoon. Jewish holidays were always a good time.

I dunno, growing up Jewish holidays did feel fancy. Even Friday night dinner. You put on nice clothes and have a nice meal.

I have to ask, though, what do you have in mind when you say "gave you a bootleg Mitzvah"? Because I only know the term "mitzvah" as a religious commandment, out colloquially as a good deed.

....oh, wait, you mean Bar Mitzvah? You had a bootleg Bar Mitzvah? That's hilarious! :D What did that entail?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My hometown had only a Dairy Queen, KFC, Hardee's, and Subway for the longest. Thus, any drive-thru place not in my hometown was a treat. That included McDonald's, until we finally got one of those when I was a teen.

My family's treat place was KFC, so going to McDonald's seemed like some enormous upgrade, probably because I was too young to pay for myself at either establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Hyperlynx posted:

I dunno, growing up Jewish holidays did feel fancy. Even Friday night dinner. You put on nice clothes and have a nice meal.

I have to ask, though, what do you have in mind when you say "gave you a bootleg Mitzvah"? Because I only know the term "mitzvah" as a religious commandment, out colloquially as a good deed.

....oh, wait, you mean Bar Mitzvah? You had a bootleg Bar Mitzvah? That's hilarious! :D What did that entail?

I had a bootleg Bar Mitzvah but it was referred to as "the bootleg Mitzvah" the entire weekend so I assumed it was correct. Basically the family was in town shortly after Doug (the grandson's) Bar Mitzvah. I was friends with a lot of older kids, so at this point I had been to a Bar, Bat, or Bene Mitzvah once a month or so for two years and I knew most of the words, but Grandpa went over them with me.

I'm a third or so Jewish but in all the wrong ways (3 of my grandparents are fractionally Jewish, none more than half and none practicing) so grandpa said Yahweh would appreciate us dropping a line for old times sake. The kids had been working on go-carts all weekend so the rain spoiled our fun, so I had a lot of time to go over the lines and what they meant. It ended up being a 40 minute thing very different than any I had attended prior, then they lifted me up on a chair a few times before hurling me into the pool and having a catered dinner. My mom came for dinner but didn't want to attend the ceremony (though she approved) because of her complex relationship with God.

I don't know the extent to which they planned it but I did get an embroidered yamulke and we partied all night. My mom was asked if she wanted to come but she didn't. Anyway it's my understanding that mine was similar to what you'd get in a war if you didn't have a handy temple (grandpa was a former rabbi so that but was legit) and were trying not to draw attention. Its been 20 years so I'm not sure the thrust of what I said to my boy Yahweh, but afterwards I talked to the rabbi the next time I attended services and I remember him talking about how Yahweh doesn't give a single gently caress about any of it and it's all for us, so if I wanted to be Jewish I could try it on for a bit before committing with his blessing.

I did and it didn't feel any more right, particularly, than Jesus. I ended up being atheist, but again the same Rabbi said that Yahweh, Eternal God-King of the Rules Lawyers, would be 100% fine if after I died he was like "so I'm not real?" and I had evidence. He actually said that Yahweh would be happier with that than unexamined belief. So basically I'm an atheist but if push comes to shove, the God of the Jews knows about me and has my back.

E: None of this is intended to offend, God/Yahweh/Allah is a multifaceted entity capable of being a great many things at once, and that's the face He chose to show me. Yours will be different, and that's great.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Oct 5, 2023