Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I had a bootleg Bar Mitzvah but it was referred to as "the bootleg Mitzvah" the entire weekend so I assumed it was correct. Basically the family was in town shortly after Doug (the grandson's) Bar Mitzvah. I was friends with a lot of older kids, so at this point I had been to a Bar, Bat, or Bene Mitzvah once a month or so for two years and I knew most of the words, but Grandpa went over them with me.

I'm a third or so Jewish but in all the wrong ways (3 of my grandparents are fractionally Jewish, none more than half and none practicing) so grandpa said Yahweh would appreciate us dropping a line for old times sake. The kids had been working on go-carts all weekend so the rain spoiled our fun, so I had a lot of time to go over the lines and what they meant. It ended up being a 40 minute thing very different than any I had attended prior, then they lifted me up on a chair a few times before hurling me into the pool and having a catered dinner. My mom came for dinner but didn't want to attend the ceremony (though she approved) because of her complex relationship with God.

I don't know the extent to which they planned it but I did get an embroidered yamulke and we partied all night. My mom was asked if she wanted to come but she didn't. Anyway it's my understanding that mine was similar to what you'd get in a war if you didn't have a handy temple (grandpa was a former rabbi so that but was legit) and were trying not to draw attention. Its been 20 years so I'm not sure the thrust of what I said to my boy Yahweh, but afterwards I talked to the rabbi the next time I attended services and I remember him talking about how Yahweh doesn't give a single gently caress about any of it and it's all for us, so if I wanted to be Jewish I could try it on for a bit before committing with his blessing.

I did and it didn't feel any more right, particularly, than Jesus. I ended up being atheist, but again the same Rabbi said that Yahweh, Eternal God-King of the Rules Lawyers, would be 100% fine if after I died he was like "so I'm not real?" and I had evidence. He actually said that Yahweh would be happier with that than unexamined belief. So basically I'm an atheist but if push comes to shove, the God of the Jews knows about me and has my back.

E: None of this is intended to offend, God/Yahweh/Allah is a multifaceted entity capable of being a great many things at once, and that's the face He chose to show me. Yours will be different, and that's great.

Aw, that's awesome, dude! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I love it. You could call yourself Jew-ish?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Im a born jew who was only semi-sometimes-religious. I loved being a jew but had so many questions. I am now a recently converted orthodox christian. Which will get me owned by someone I’m sure. But gently caress it. I believe. My church is staffed by a trans woman priest and has lgbtq orthodox kid meetups, we get threatened by armed evangelical gunmen sometime just like the ol Schulz back in Texas. Eh. Just wanted you to know, Hashem doesn’t care about your ethnicity or religion or gender or belief. (Hashem might judge you for all the shrimp, cheeseburgers, and mixed fabrics, but like not forever.) He will love you. And if I’m wrong. Even though he’s a dickhead. Theology is complicated and it’s for the Reddit atheist to land sick owns instead of understanding.

And if Hashem does punish one of us, it will be me. He will definitely love being owned.

Sorry if that lands too heavy but I just want to make clear, your rabbi is correct.

E: Jewish holidays I found far far fancier than my goy friends trees and toys, except for really wanting the toys.

Orthodox rite holidays are far fancier than the evangelical christian holidays I knew, because it’s a functional solemn event with food and not just waiting around for toys and dry nasty steak and Pastor Diddler to give his sermon about how Jesus is just like Anakin Skywalker. People take it seriously. It’s just different. And no uncles invited to go off about how we’re all about to become gay communists from twitch and the vaccine.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Oct 6, 2023

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
An aboveground pool like this in your backyard:

Perhaps a bit higher than this one but not much.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Wooden doors with panels. Our entry door was metal and the interior doors were flat, so paneled doors were super fancy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Laserjet 4P posted:

An aboveground pool like this in your backyard:

Perhaps a bit higher than this one but not much.

I dunno how much much those things cost new, but we found a kit at a garage sale for not too much money. I guess it did require having some amount of usable lawn space and a lot of water, but it was definitely way more feasible than I ever imagined having a pool to be beforehand. It was great to have, though, even if it wasn't huge, it was great for cooling off or hanging out with a couple friends.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Trabant posted:

For a while in the 90s and early 00s, I would stay in motels and hotels which had those "you can steal the removable part but it'll be useless" hangers:

So every time a hotel would have proper hangers, I'd think of it as a serious step up.

Was it? Maybe!

No wire hangers… EVER!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jesus is just like Anakin Skywalker.

"Luke, join me. We can destroy the Pope!"

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Thinking about comedy bang bang...if Jesus was the size of a man...how big is God? Mount Rushmore size?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Tiggum posted:

Stairs.

Most houses here are one storey so if you had a second floor in your house? Wow.

Same here! We had a main floor and a finished basement, so probably just as much square footage as the people with an upstairs, but their houses still felt fancier somehow.

Buttchocks posted:

Saturday morning anime shows. I kept watching them even though they were boring and incomprehensible because I thought maybe I just wasn't old enough to appreciate how sophisticated they were. Nope, they were boring and incomprehensible.

Those shows turned me into probably the only goon who hates anime with a passion.

I haven't seen these in years, but I envied the houses that had initials on their screen doors:

Ditto on house numbers posted in words rather than digits:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Did anyone say mini eclairs yet?
Like from Walmart.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm glad they're not fancy so i can afford them. Well, used to.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

How can you imply that Vienna Cakes were NOT fancy and still sleep at night?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Eating hot lunch at school

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When I was a kid, Stella Artois had a series of ads pushing an upmarket image with the tagline "reassuringly expensive". And that's how I thought of it until I was old enough to drink and found everyone else called it "wife-beater".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are you in the states? Apparently the image is complete different because the only ads I've ever saw for it were it being classy and brits have the opposite which is hilarious

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are you in the states? Apparently the image is complete different because the only ads I've ever saw for it were it being classy and brits have the opposite which is hilarious
Here in Ireland we also got the "it's fancy" versions. If there was an "It's swill for poors" ad campaign is busy have been UK only.

E: I don't drink so I don't know what they public perception was.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I thought having more that two TV channels to watch was fancy as hell.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the uk also gets "stella is classy" adverts. it's just it used to be stronger than other macro lagers (5ish% vs 4ish%) and thus got the reputation of being something that a) gets you drunker and makes you beat your wife, and b) is drunk by those who want to get really drunk and beat their wife

after the big 2008 financial crash they reduced it to 4%, and now it's just A Beer

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

UK. They were trying so hard to appear fancy.
Heineken went the other way and tried to portray itself as the beer of the people by doing a My Fair Lady parody where a posh lady talks common after drinking it.
At time of posting, Heineken is 29p a litre more expensive in Tesco. Britain is a silly place.

e: the vid in question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz9_YfIQaz4

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Stella is what Roast Beef, the trashy guy from the Achewood comic, drinks. That was my first and only exposure to the brand.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

your interpretation of roast beef is that he's characterised as... the trashy guy?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I mean Ray is the cool one

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

About ten years ago, Stella/their parent brand had a free massive event in DC that was basically “look how cool, trendy, and high class this brand is!”. They rented out The Building Museum which probably was like $50k at least just for the venue rental for the night, and had multiple DJs, photo booths, and a pouring competition where they highlighted that pouring Stella is a ritual, and has its own little knife to skim the head off as the final step or some poo poo.

It was great and I got to drink a bunch of free beer and pretend I was fancy, but knowing that it’s a trash beer outside of America made it extra great

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

your interpretation of roast beef is that he's characterised as... the trashy guy?

I want you to know that I deleted and retyped my description of Ray, specifically, for almost 15 minutes before finally just going with that and posting. I knew it would upset some people, but Achewood doesn't lend itself well to summarization so :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I want you to know that I deleted and retyped my description of Ray, specifically, for almost 15 minutes before finally just going with that and posting. I knew it would upset some people, but Achewood doesn't lend itself well to summarization so :shrug:

I feel you, after the posts responding to you I started trying to retype your post in my head to see if I could describe Ray or Roast Beef concisely and I gave up

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

roast beef is the goon, Ray is a cryptobro

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Roast beef is the guy who sucks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roast beef is depressed

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ziv Zulander posted:

Roast beef is the guy who sucks

i already said that

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I remember being amazed too to hear that Stella is called wifebeater in the UK. I'm from Australia.

On the subject of Heineken trying to be classy, I remember they started doing ads where loving James Bond orders a Heineken. I mean honestly. That feels like taking the piss.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

On the subject of Heineken trying to be classy, I remember they started doing ads where loving James Bond orders a Heineken. I mean honestly. That feels like taking the piss.

He's a man of the people now, he's also down for some good old Texas hold 'em rather than something snooty like baccarat

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stella is what Roast Beef, the trashy guy from the Achewood comic, drinks. That was my first and only exposure to the brand.

I cannot see a Stella and not think "that golden action is so crunchy".

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Stella used to run some extremely cringeworthy commercials where the vessel it was poured into was referred to as a chalice.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chalices are goblets made by the swamp Germans or swamp French. Fully accurate and like Stella only sounds fancy to a child.

E. I think the swamp French are most to blame here with chalice being the Latin choice for footed mug. A swamp German probably more likely to remind you of their ancient dumbassery by giving you a tulip.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Jan 16, 2024

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Having an intercom system in your house, even if it's just a normal-sized house where you can just walk to the next room and talk to somebody.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

As a young neckbeard I thought sword canes were so badass. Now I see them sold alongside the condoms and batteries at the convenience store by my house.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's because caneswordsmen gently caress

And need batteries too, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
they gotta keep that fleshlight vibrating some kind of way