Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

What's the consensus on globe bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

what is a globe bar?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

what is a globe bar?

https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Italy-...SRoCSC8QAvD_BwE

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They're always cool

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Having an intercom system in your house, even if it's just a normal-sized house where you can just walk to the next room and talk to somebody.
The place I lived from about the age of... 10? ish? had intercoms, installed by the previous owner. We played with them a little bit when we first moved in, but each unit only communicated with the central hub, which was in a room that no one was ever in. It might have actually been handy to have the hub in the kitchen/livingroom so that mum or dad could call us for dinner or whatever, but the way it was actually set up was completely useless.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

We had a switchboard in the cellar when I was a kid. You had to dial 32 to get an outside line, and each room in the house had its own number.

My dad was a nerd.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Achewood talk in the spirit of this thread: I feel like having or doing "things you thought were fancy as a kid" or maybe "things you thought were super rad" is a good part of how Ray unapologetically lives his adult life and it's sort of badass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

grittyreboot posted:

Hitler had one, so it’s verboten, like the moustache.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
When I was little my parents were broke so sometimes we would just have instant ramen for dinner, but not very often because it's so unhealthy. A few years into school their income stabilized enough that mom stopped buying it altogether because she didn't need to anymore, but for years after I still thought it was a special treat because usually if she was reluctant to buy something it was because she thought it was too expensive.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When we went to deposit money into my savings account at the bank the teller (a human!) would put the money in a cylinder and FLOOP send it down a pneumatic tube in their desk.

Pneumatic tubes are cool.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiggum posted:

The place I lived from about the age of... 10? ish? had intercoms, installed by the previous owner. We played with them a little bit when we first moved in, but each unit only communicated with the central hub, which was in a room that no one was ever in. It might have actually been handy to have the hub in the kitchen/livingroom so that mum or dad could call us for dinner or whatever, but the way it was actually set up was completely useless.
I must know what the command bunker room was

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the holy poopacy posted:

When I was little my parents were broke so sometimes we would just have instant ramen for dinner, but not very often because it's so unhealthy. A few years into school their income stabilized enough that mom stopped buying it altogether because she didn't need to anymore, but for years after I still thought it was a special treat because usually if she was reluctant to buy something it was because she thought it was too expensive.
One time when I was very young my parents made a special potato dish they never made again despite me asking multiple times over several years. It reached this magical level of amazing deliciousness in my head until I eventually kind of forgot about it. Sometime in my teens I suddenly remembered the special potatoes and asked them what that was all about and they busted up laughing at me still going on about the horrible flavourless textureless nutritionless potato gruel the mashed potatoes somehow turned into one time that they fed us and gave a funny name to because they were both too tired to start over.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

I must know what the command bunker room was

The house layout was basically a U shape with bedrooms on one side, lounge and study on the other, with master bedroom, kitchen/living, bathroom and laundry in between. The hub was in the study and the other units in each of the (non-master) bedrooms. A useful setup if the adult(s) of the house spend a lot of time working in the study, but for us it was first used for the family computer (before we got individual ones in our rooms) and then more for storage than anything else.

This is more or less the layout as I remember it (not to scale):

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiggum posted:

The house layout was basically a U shape with bedrooms on one side, lounge and study on the other, with master bedroom, kitchen/living, bathroom and laundry in between. The hub was in the study and the other units in each of the (non-master) bedrooms. A useful setup if the adult(s) of the house spend a lot of time working in the study, but for us it was first used for the family computer (before we got individual ones in our rooms) and then more for storage than anything else.

Add a nice set of double doors to the study's south wall and you'd have had a great little livingroom sub-room for chilling in slightly away from but still near everyone else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

This drawing is hosed up because the bedroom in the bottom left could be enlarged instead of the hallway having that useless appendix.

At least tell me that there was a window there.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Carbon dioxide posted:

When we went to deposit money into my savings account at the bank the teller (a human!) would put the money in a cylinder and FLOOP send it down a pneumatic tube in their desk.

Pneumatic tubes are cool.

My local Tesco still uses a system like this to do cash drops from the tills, and it's still v. cool to see.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

Add a nice set of double doors to the study's south wall and you'd have had a great little livingroom sub-room for chilling in slightly away from but still near everyone else.
That loungeroom and study layout was infuriatingly bad. Add to the issue you mentioned the fact that there was a wall-mounted air-conditioner in the loungeroom (the only air-conditioning in the house) but that room had no door and just opened straight onto the corridor so the cool air flows right out. The whole house was really annoying and inconvenient, tbh, and I'm really glad my parents moved to a much nicer place.

Platystemon posted:

This drawing is hosed up because the bedroom in the bottom left could be enlarged instead of the hallway having that useless appendix.
Now as you say it, I'm pretty sure that last bedroom did extend all the way across, I just drew it wrong. I'm pretty sure the kitchen/livingroom is wrong in some way too; I think the door there was perpendicular to the bathroom door, not parallel and it was't (as much of?) an L shape. When I was drawing it I just went "yep, doors along here, doors along there, all the same" without really thinking about it too much. The basic layout is there anyway.

Edit: Oh, there was also a second door to the outside in the loungeroom, leading onto a balcony from which you could walk down to the "courtyard" in the middle.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Was just reminded of these clocks. It was under glass, so I definitely thought it was super fancy and maybe a family heirloom or something.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was just reminded of these clocks. It was under glass, so I definitely thought it was super fancy and maybe a family heirloom or something.

One day I WILL find a Jaeger Atmos that some thrift shop thinks is just a plastic quartz.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think my grandma still has one of those, it's not sitting on top of the TV anymore though, because the TV is too flat now.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Weren't there some clocks that looked like that, that would explode after so many years because a mistake in the manufacture made them wind themselves way too tight?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiggum posted:

That loungeroom and study layout was infuriatingly bad. Add to the issue you mentioned the fact that there was a wall-mounted air-conditioner in the loungeroom (the only air-conditioning in the house) but that room had no door and just opened straight onto the corridor so the cool air flows right out. The whole house was really annoying and inconvenient, tbh, and I'm really glad my parents moved to a much nicer place.

Now as you say it, I'm pretty sure that last bedroom did extend all the way across, I just drew it wrong. I'm pretty sure the kitchen/livingroom is wrong in some way too; I think the door there was perpendicular to the bathroom door, not parallel and it was't (as much of?) an L shape. When I was drawing it I just went "yep, doors along here, doors along there, all the same" without really thinking about it too much. The basic layout is there anyway.

Edit: Oh, there was also a second door to the outside in the loungeroom, leading onto a balcony from which you could walk down to the "courtyard" in the middle.
I love me a courtyard, it's amazing how they made every possible wrong decision given the (very nice) basic floor plan. I especially like how the master bedroom is in the optimal position for literally everyone to be able to hear you loving.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

DrBouvenstein posted:

One Christmas my parents gave my sister and her husband that clock. Sister and BIL gave my parents...the exact same clock. No, it was not planned. Looking back now I wonder if those clocks were sort of trendy one year or something.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Having an intercom system in your house, even if it's just a normal-sized house where you can just walk to the next room and talk to somebody.

I would only use this for "Kirk to Engineering, Scotty, what's going on down there?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DrBouvenstein posted:

These are neat because they only need to be wound once per year.

But they don’t keep excellent time, so you’ll want to adjust them more often than that. :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody uses clocks for the time anymore gramps. They're aesthetic only. But I also thought those were a rich persons thing. Along with newton's cradles

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
If I ever see a clock that doesn't do IIII for 4 I just laugh at the owner's pedestrian tastes.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

These are neat because they only need to be wound once per year.

But they don’t keep excellent time, so you’ll want to adjust them more often than that. :v:

You're gonna find 10000 battery powered quartz clocks of this type for every mechanical winding one you find anyway.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

credburn posted:

If I ever see a clock that doesn't do IIII for 4 I just laugh at the owner's pedestrian tastes.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

credburn posted:

If I ever see a clock that doesn't do IIII for 4 I just laugh at the owner's blasphemy against Jupiter the Thunderer

Yes, I know it's a false aetiology

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm just always amused when people notice a clock with "IIII" for the first time (even though they're everywhere) and mockingly declare that whoever made the clock doesn't know their Roman numerals.

Learn your clockmaking history, you buffoon. And never buy a clock with "IV" again.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

...! posted:

I'm just always amused when people notice a clock with "IIII" for the first time (even though they're everywhere) and mockingly declare that whoever made the clock doesn't know their Roman numerals.

Learn your clockmaking history, you buffoon. And never buy a clock with "IV" again.
I've already got plans to do half of this.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

...! posted:

this doesn't amuse me and i won't do that, thanks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

username/post combo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not really

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want a clock that has IIII and also IIIIII but also still V

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
I always thought Macaroni Grill was fancy because we would only go once a year if that, and it turns out my mom just hated it so we would only go on my birthday if I remembered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want a clock that has IIII and also IIIIII but also still V

Nah, gently caress V