Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Having some issues with USB-C to 3.5mm adapters for headphones and using the phone's mic etc. Android 13, galaxy s21.

It looks like when I use a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for some clip-on Panasonic headphones for example, I can't use the phone's mic. I tried calls and the mic doesn't work, and confirmed by going to record a video with the camera and a message saying "recording audio through USB mic" pops up. But these headphones don't have a mic, so it doesn't record anything.

Is there a setting somewhere to somehow set the phone to select the phone's mic instead, even if it's confused by what I plugged in?

I've tried a few adapter dongles from Amazon, an Anker one, JSAUX, Mcsper, ugreen etc, all mention having a DAC and being compatible with recent Samsung phones.

As a bonus, any tips on using wired headphones on Android 13 or recent Samsung phones would help too. All sorts of quirks have come up. I constantly get error messages of connected and disconnected, and sometimes not recognized etc. But the audio of say a podcast still goes smoothly, so the error messages don't stop it from working. And these issues persist with different headphones or a car's aux port etc.

Also at first whenever I'd plug in the wired headphones via the USB-C adapter, Google assistant would pop up. I disabled Google assistant. Then after disabling it, whenever I plug it in a pop-up asked me if I wanted to use bixby (which I also disabled) or Google assistant for that action. After that happened a lot, I eventually just selected Google assistant (which is disabled) and those pop-ups stopped. But not sure if selecting that messed something up.

So anyways, it is just a lot more kooky to get wired headphones to work without the old headphone jack than I thought it would be. And the quirk of the mic being disabled is also an issue.

Do any phones handle this better than Galaxy s21, or any better adapters etc? I'm considering returning this phone. Since it's also possible the port is just messed up or something, being an Amazon renewed phone. And it does feel a bit snug plugging stuff in. But it seems like there's weirdness on the software side too, plus the dongle variable. I've also heard people mention you might need a different adapter for two rings vs three rings in your headphones jack, and maybe ones without a mic are always two rings. But most of these on Amazon don't include that info, and you'd think it would work for both.

Also another quirk with this, when I pause audio, sometimes I then hear a light pulsing sound through the headphones and they no longer work, it'll just play audio out of the phone's speaker. Seems like it's an issue with the phone no longer recognizing the USB-C connection or something.

I did get a Bluetooth chargeable converter, but don't want that in my pocket all the time.

Also, on getting lint out of USB-C charging ports on a phone, if that happens. I hear a toothpick works, but you might need a smaller one? Also I tried a little condensed air one time. Thanks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

edit: double post, also woops typo in title.