Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Spacebump posted:

Tulane offered Fritz 5.5 mil yearly. He took 4.5 from Houston. Sucks that even offering more money didn’t work.

Jesus that sucks. You'd think with the new revenue from the Big 12 Houston would be able to beat their offer. If I were Fritz I'd feel lowballed, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spacebump posted:

Tulane offered Fritz 5.5 mil yearly. He took 4.5 from Houston. Sucks that even offering more money didn’t work.

houston just has more resources and is easier to recruit

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Declan MacManus posted:

houston just has more resources and is easier to recruit

Also, his daughter, mentor, and a ton of friends live in Houston.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tulane apparently announces new HC on Friday. I think the hire was made yesterday. The only rumor I’ve seen is the hire is currently a HC.

They may have interviewed Air Force’s coach.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 5, 2023

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Blast from the past

- New Mexico trying to hire Bronco Mendenhall

- Looks like Middle Tennessee is getting Derek Mason.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
That would be a great get for New Mexico

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Looks like Elko’s OC hire is going to be Collin Klein out of Kansas State. Seems like a solid pick.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Collin Klein Coaching Career...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He finished behind Manziel and Te'o in Heisman voting, but he seems to be winning the long game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Looks like Elko’s OC hire is going to be Collin Klein out of Kansas State. Seems like a solid pick.

Lol their OC didn’t kiss his wife until marriage.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Lol their OC didn’t kiss his wife until marriage.

Great, so he’s a cultural fit as well

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

wonder if tulane would hire jeff monken; he's desperate to get out of the service academies and he's willing to tweak the flexbone to look like a 21st century offense

brennan marion would also be a smart choice

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

wonder if tulane would hire jeff monken; he's desperate to get out of the service academies and he's willing to tweak the flexbone to look like a 21st century offense

brennan marion would also be a smart choice

They allegedly interviewed Monken, Troy Calhoun, Jon Sumrall, and Alex Atkins.

Calhoun’s son works for TCU, until recently his Twitter account only followed TCU or Air Force accounts. He started following a few Tulane accounts this week. About a day later, Tulane started giving out offers.

I suspect they hired or are about to hire Calhoun.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 7, 2023

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1732774872999239887?s=46

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Calhoun's son unfollowed Tulane accounts. Guess Calhoun is out.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

God dammit.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I once had a very bad experience with Manny Diaz and some Mormons

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bob Chesney to JMU confirmed

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bob Chesney to JMU confirmed

Interesting hire. Guy has been fairly successful at Holy Cross, but that's a pretty out-of-left field program.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

why on earth would they go with this retread when they are finally on an upward trajectory?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Neil Armbong posted:

why on earth would they go with this retread when they are finally on an upward trajectory?
21-15 (16-9 ACC) and bowl eligible 3x doesn't seem like a disqualifying past history for Duke of all programs, given they've avoided losing ACC records 5 times in the past 20 years and made 7 bowls in the period.

idk I hear retread and I think an extensive history of barely or not working out as a head coach, not a longtime DC with a fair amount of success who did a lot of winning in the p5 in his lone stint as a head coach.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Paracaidas posted:

21-15 (16-9 ACC) and bowl eligible 3x doesn't seem like a disqualifying past history for Duke of all programs, given they've avoided losing ACC records 5 times in the past 20 years and made 7 bowls in the period.

idk I hear retread and I think an extensive history of barely or not working out as a head coach, not a longtime DC with a fair amount of success who did a lot of winning in the p5 in his lone stint as a head coach.

He failed at Miami. Lots of coaches have failed at Miami in the last decade.

Sonny Dykes failed at Cal, but managed to take TCU to the national championship. Crazier things have happened.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I guess where I'm coming from is that if his Miami tenure was a failure, it's the sort of failure Duke should be eagerly signing up to repeat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

I don't know if I'd say "well, he accumulated this record at Miami, so it's realistic that he matches or succeeds that at Duke in the same conference." That said, maybe he's learned something, maybe the cultural fit is better, who knows. Seems like neither a slam dunk hire nor a "slam your head against the wall" hire.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

General Dog posted:

I don't know if I'd say "well, he accumulated this record at Miami, so it's realistic that he matches or succeeds that at Duke in the same conference." That said, maybe he's learned something, maybe the cultural fit is better, who knows. Seems like neither a slam dunk hire nor a "slam your head against the wall" hire.

Valid points. Also while 21-15 (16-9 ACC) and bowl eligible 3x may be failing at Miami, I don't think Duke would evaluate that the same way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tulane may be honing in on Sumrall. Coaching hire intro press conference (for unknown coach) is on Monday.

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/...sports-featured

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

yeah, a solidly 'meh' hire if they make it -- i feel like they could've done better and maybe he has learned?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Miami also wouldn't have fired Manny when they did if Mario was actually a FSU alum

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State fans all knew Diaz wanted another HC job and we figured he'd have one in two years. It's just disappointing the day we knew would come actually came. I would be surprised if Franklin went outside the program and elevated Anthony Poindexter to DC.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

kayakyakr posted:

He failed at Miami. Lots of coaches have failed at Miami in the last decade.

Sonny Dykes failed at Cal, but managed to take TCU to the national championship. Crazier things have happened.

His stint at Miami looks better after two years of Mario Cristobal in a weaker ACC produced the same results.

Feels like Duke is trying to too closely mirror what we did with Elko but on paper it seems like a great hire

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/1733231251316723783

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Sumrall is who I personally hoped for if Stoops took the A&M job. He was a good player for UK back in the day at MLB, and we had some awesome defenses when he was DCoord here. I'm glad he's landing somewhere with a good recruiting base and some recent success. He's gonna be a coach to watch in the future. Hope he ends up back at UK someday.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1733232374865912126

lmao at the Sunbelt is better than the AAC crowd.

Pumped Tulane made the right hire.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Sunbelt only just started getting money from tv deals. Shocked anyone could afford a mil there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Seems like a bit of a lateral move imo aside from money. Sumrall will do well there, but I'm not sure what Tulane will do for his profile that Troy wont

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Forty-second coach?

I guess no one hangs around at that job.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Seems like a bit of a lateral move imo aside from money. Sumrall will do well there, but I'm not sure what Tulane will do for his profile that Troy wont

You move from the fourth or fifth best program in a state with two SEC teams to the second best in a state with one, you have more money, better facilities, a larger booster base and a better conference. It’s not the P5 but it’s not at all a lateral move.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Just for reference the endowment of Tulane is 2 billion and for Troy it's 200 million. Obviously that itself isn't the athletic department's to play with but it's a reflection of the wealth and influence of the alumni and (with a good program) the ability to leverage the boosters.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Good, he sucks as a HC.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1733954917084090446?t=Y30JPFn0Xw7o4e2xKlaWqA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is he going to finish the playoffs?