Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas is a dreadful place to live. Austin’s about as good as it gets down there, though. And god it used to be incredible before all the drat grownups arrived.

I don’t know; I’d happily go back and retire in Waco. Midland/Odessa has its own charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Peaked around 2014 and then fell hard after. By 2017 I would no longer recommend.

My favorite time was '07-'10 or so. It was still getting cooler from '10-'14 but you could see some of the problems that were upcoming.

07-10 was a wonderful time to be in Austin. Transitional years and just so much fun. Things hadn't quite blown up to what they are now.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

Peaked around 2014 and then fell hard after. By 2017 I would no longer recommend.

My favorite time was '07-'10 or so. It was still getting cooler from '10-'14 but you could see some of the problems that were upcoming.

Peak was more like 2005-2007 in my book

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

does a&m end with petrino as hc

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

If Jimbo is bought out in the next few seasons I’d bet on Elko coming back.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

If Jimbo is bought out in the next few seasons I’d bet on Elko coming back.

There’s no way Elko is big enough of a name.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Adun posted:

At A&M he is, I think. A number of them miss his defenses and think of him as the one that got away. Also they may not be in a position to money whip a bigger name right after they shell out like $80m to fire Jimbo and his assistants.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 21, 2023

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think Michigan State will hire Narduzzi. I hope so, anyway

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Adun posted:

Elko has been getting a ton of buzz as a Future Guy and in a couple years he’s probably at the right level. Plus the connection.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah if we’re talking a couple years down the road and Elko has put together a couple of 8 or 9-win seasons, he’s going to be red hot

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Declan MacManus posted:

Hmm what school has Texas A&M traditionally been known to share with/poach from in coaching

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Thermos H Christ posted:

At A&M he is, I think. A number of them miss his defenses and think of him as the one that got away. Also they may not be in a position to money whip a bigger name right after they shell out like $80m to fire Jimbo and his assistants.

aTm’s short a lot of things (sense, architecture, enjoyable surroundings) but money ain’t one of them

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Peak was more like 2005-2007 in my book

Franklin's trailer didn't open until 2009, so the town couldn't have peaked before then. The brick & mortar opened in 2011, so you could set that year as the peak, if you want.

Alamo Drafthouse, South Lamar reopened in '14 so you could mark that as the start of the decline. Black's BBQ opened their outpost in '14 as well, so that's giving more credence to that being the start of the decline.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Franklin's trailer didn't open until 2009, so the town couldn't have peaked before then. The brick & mortar opened in 2011, so you could set that year as the peak, if you want.

Alamo Drafthouse, South Lamar reopened in '14 so you could mark that as the start of the decline. Black's BBQ opened their outpost in '14 as well, so that's giving more credence to that being the start of the decline.

i remember when the thought of waiting 30 minutes in line for bbq at the trailer was insane and the person who took me for the first time reassuring me it was worth it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

aTm’s short a lot of things (sense, architecture, enjoyable surroundings) but money ain’t one of them

Some of the architecture at A&M is good :colbert: its just that the biggest expansion came in the era of brutalist stupidity

And yes having lived in Austin from 4th grade til I was in my late 30s it sucks terribly now and I was happy to get out

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Why is it that Austin sucks now? I lived there from about ‘04 to ‘11 (not including college at OU) and liked it quite a bit. Is it just tech assholes coming in and ruining things or is there more to it?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Why is it that Austin sucks now? I lived there from about ‘04 to ‘11 (not including college at OU) and liked it quite a bit. Is it just tech assholes coming in and ruining things or is there more to it?

that and it's gotten super bougie -- there's a gd soho house here now. lots of fun stuff to do, but a v different place now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wasn't Austin one of the cities that passed RV parking restrictions because people were using those as affordable housing solutions? Saw the proposal a while back about a guy wanting to build 300sqft homes for 100k+

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Housing prices went insane and chased out all the artists. Corporate interests came in and distilled the "Austinness" of everything down to a cookie cutter build.

The restaurant scene that gave us Chi'Lantro, Torchy's, Franklin, Ramen Tatsuya, etc has become saturated s.t. you either need major backing or are driven out of business. Good examples of this are Veggie Heaven and their attempted relaunch, Shady Grove, that one Irish Pub that was open near Shady Grove for a year or so, even Hutts Hamburgers.

Music scene went from the place where a new band came to be discovered to just another trendy thing for people to do. Small venues died. Twitter actually ruined SXSW day parties, taking it from a day of discovery while you walked around looking for music that sounded good (or followed the bands you liked around) to a case where you chase whoever is giving out free poo poo. Which also died a death of a thousand drunks.

And the town became overrun by Tech Bros. Who aren't bad in their own right, but need to be a balanced demographic within a city.

I will say Emerald Tavern and Vigilante created an exceptional nerd space, and there was a vibrant scene and group that sprung up around those venues. That didn't happen until, what, 2017? That's why I mark 2017 as the peak.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
For me even if nothing else changed the skyrocketing housing prices and rent made it untenable even though I actually do have a tech job. It would take a loving lot to offset that, like, New York level public transport and culture, and Austin doesn't have it.

Its about half as expensive to rent an equivalent well-located nice apartment in San Antonio as it is Austin as far as I can tell

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Austin became no longer cool when I moved away in 2013.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

Its about half as expensive to rent an equivalent well-located nice apartment in San Antonio as it is Austin as far as I can tell

If I had to go to anywhere in Texas for a weekend, I feel like SanAn would be the best bet.

Go have some churros with them big ol' women down by the dirty creek.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
everytime i see a huge self driving car traffic jam it's somewhere in austin

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Neil Armbong posted:

This. Texas sucks, as a whole, due to the state government. Austin used to be incredible and is the best place you can choose to live in this state.

I think we're done after my son gets through 5th grade.

We’re leaving next year. We’ve had enough.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dr_Strangelove posted:

We’re leaving next year. We’ve had enough.

Left last year. Do recommend. I miss a lot of people from there and I miss the food but in general I do not miss being in Texas nearly as much as I thought I would, even after I felt it was time to get out.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Mike_V posted:

everytime i see a huge self driving car traffic jam it's somewhere in austin

and thanks to state government fuckery cities can't regulate self driving cars. i saw that vw self driving vans have shown up the other day.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Left last year. Do recommend. I miss a lot of people from there and I miss the food but in general I do not miss being in Texas nearly as much as I thought I would, even after I felt it was time to get out.

For me, 25 years. Aside from a couple of years at the U of New Mexico, my wife has been in San Antonio, Austin, or Dallas her entire life. We’re so tired of this place.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Where did y’all go/are looking?

Texas has broken me because it’s not great here but the thought of leaving is just fuzzy noise in my brain

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Biloxi/Mobile/Pensacola is cheap as hell. Smaller cities, but the culture and food kinda box above their weight claass

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Texas has broken me because it’s not great here but the thought of leaving is just fuzzy noise in my brain

Same but San Diego

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
PJ Fleck come on down!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagine losing to 2023 northwestern lmao

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Nah. Fleck is always good for at least two :psyduck: losses per year and another couple escapes, with one exception (which was just a fuckton of escapes)

17: 4-8 Maryland, a combined 70-0 to NU and Wisconsin to end the season
18: 4-8 Nebraska (53-28), 4-8 Illinois (55-31)
19: 4th quarter comeback (and a pick 6) to beat South Dakota State at home, last minute pass to tie and double OT (game saving heroics from Winfield) to beat Fresno State, 4th quarter comeback (TD pass with :12 in the 4th) against Georgia Southern, and still ended the season by pissing away their first division crown by losing to their biggest rivals as favorites at Iowa and home (in a slaughter) to Bucky. This was his good year
21: Bowling Green, 5-7 Illinois
22: the most defensible year... 3 straight to Purdue, Illinois, Penn State to open conference play and then only dropping 31 on the Scarlet Knights, which counts as 4 straight imo

Definitely helps that he replaced Tracy Claeys after Tracy tearfully shared his pride in and support of the whole team announcing a boycott of the bowl game in protest of a group of their teammates receiving slaps on the wrist for sexually assaulting a cheerleader and then destroying evidence and intimidating witnesses... who himself took over from the abusive and seizure prone Northern Illinois (and now New Mexico State) legend Jerry Kill, who took over from the TE Coach GOAT Tim Brewster.

Minnesota's happy with cringe Glen Mason no matter how embarassing the annual egglaying gets.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Things are going to have to change quickly for the now-Big Ten West teams if they are going to compete in the division-less conference. Iowa, as bad as they are, could make the Big Ten championship this year if they upset likely division winner, Wisconsin. After this year, none of these teams in the West will sniff the conference championship or playoff, except maybe Wisconsin

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not a surprise to anyone but Tucker is officially gone.

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1707066051752497647

Some fairly strong language that adds up to 'you loving dumbass' in there.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Who are Michigan State's reasonable candidates?

Will Lance Leipold leave Kansas for a middling Michigan State or would he wait on a better job? We know MSU will pay, especially now that they fired Tucker with cause.

Narduzzi seems like an obvious candidate but seems like a perennial 8-4 type of guy. Pitt's poor start this year might diminish him somewhat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Leipold is the hottest name by far. I think they should give Chris Creighton a serious look especially if they are trying to go back to the identity of the Dantonio era (overlooked recruits playing above their rating, grinding it out, playing slightly dirty). Split Zone also did a good bit on how they aren’t necessarily going to spend the way people think. It’s a misconception that Ishbia is footing the bill for everything. $71 million of Tucker’s contract was supposed to be coming from normal boosters.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Democratic Pirate posted:

Rural CT here. New England is much, much nicer than I expected. If you can find good prices on housing, CT, Mass, RI, NH, VT, and Southern ME are all up there in best places to live. Providence metro feels a lot like Austin circa early 2000's, but their housing prices have risen with the rest of the nation as well.

We were looking at Colorado, going so far as to have toured houses there. It was close and we were redirected thanks to the pandemic. We had also started considering Washington state, but hadn't visited, and we had a short flirtation with Nova Scotia as well (and having now visited, I'd live in Halifax)

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

Rural CT here. New England is much, much nicer than I expected. If you can find good prices on housing, CT, Mass, RI, NH, VT, and Southern ME are all up there in best places to live. Providence metro feels a lot like Austin circa early 2000's, but their housing prices have risen with the rest of the nation as well.

We were looking at Colorado, going so far as to have toured houses there. It was close and we were redirected thanks to the pandemic. We had also started considering Washington state, but hadn't visited, and we had a short flirtation with Nova Scotia as well (and having now visited, I'd live in Halifax)

Same. We felt Colorado or the West Coast would be more our vibe, but among other factors those places are on fire much of the time and that seems unlikely to improve a lot going forward.

Rural CT is chill and friendly and pretty and there are four full actual seasons. You can easily drive to beaches in the summer and skiing in the winter. The public schools are generally great. The dispensaries kind of suck, but there are quasi-legal cannabis farmer’s markets that smell as good as any place on earth, where half ounces of the dankest poo poo ever go for like $35-40. Other than the pizza (New Haven represent) and the ice cream the food is subpar compared to Texas but then again going to NYC and back for a date night is viable if you’re willing to spend some time on trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Komet posted:

Who are Michigan State's reasonable candidates?

Will Lance Leipold leave Kansas for a middling Michigan State or would he wait on a better job? We know MSU will pay, especially now that they fired Tucker with cause.

Narduzzi seems like an obvious candidate but seems like a perennial 8-4 type of guy. Pitt's poor start this year might diminish him somewhat.

Kleiman's apparently declared himself out after being named as a possibility. Which...I don't know how much of a possibility he actually was but saying so right off the bat is odd. Like I have no interest in dealing with that smoke.

As it is odd that Michigan State would possibly be looking at both of the coaches for Kansas schools, not saying either would be the worst hire it's just weird historically.