Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

General Dog posted:

Is he going to finish the playoffs?

Yes. He's going to be the LB coach (and assistant head coach of the defense whatever that is) at USC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://x.com/tu_alphawave/status/1733978791389614553?s=46
Tulane needs to lock the old coach staff out already.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I feel like if we're at a point where players don't want to play in bowls (or can't because of where the transfer portal window is currently situated) and 50% of the teams are coached by weird lame-duck skeleton crew coaching staffs who already have new jobs somewhere else, it may just be time to retire bowl season as a concept. It used to be fun but now it sucks, and making it not suck would require top-down structural change that are never going to happen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s still fun if you’re a G5 fan but all of the semi-prestigious ones are being totally swallowed by the playoff.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s still fun if you’re a G5 fan but all of the semi-prestigious ones are being totally swallowed by the playoff.

Is it still fun as a G5 fan when you're down 4 of your 6 best players to the portal and the team is maybe being coached by the tight ends coach? Seems like maybe I'd prefer the conference championship game or Senior Day to be my last memory of the team. The vibes for 80% of these games are just dogshit.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I like bowls still. There's def less juice than even a decade ago, but silly little football games in late Dec are awesome. Plus it's a good excuse to see college friends if you get into a fun/local one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bowls own, getting to a a lovely bowl is the only barometer of success for 95% of FBS teams, I love these weird, corrupt little rat guys that do nothing but skim money from them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This is how I see the bowls. These are the last ten teams Penn State has played in a bowl compared with the last time they played a regular season game.

Houston - 1977
Boston College - 2004
Georgia - never played in regular season
USC - 2000
Washington - 1921
Kentucky - 1978
Memphis - never played in regular season, first meeting
Arkansas - never played in regular season, first meeting
Utah - never played in regular season, first meeting
Ole Miss - never played in regular season, first meeting

I just like seeing match-ups you don't see very often or ever before.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

This is how I see the bowls. These are the last ten teams Penn State has played in a bowl compared with the last time they played a regular season game.

Houston - 1977
Boston College - 2004
Georgia - never played in regular season
USC - 2000
Washington - 1921
Kentucky - 1978
Memphis - never played in regular season, first meeting
Arkansas - never played in regular season, first meeting
Utah - never played in regular season, first meeting
Ole Miss - never played in regular season, first meeting

I just like seeing match-ups you don't see very often or ever before.

Totally.

And if they become kind of a preview of what the team will be like next year because all this year's playmakers are sitting out, well that's fun too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

I feel like if we're at a point where players don't want to play in bowls (or can't because of where the transfer portal window is currently situated) and 50% of the teams are coached by weird lame-duck skeleton crew coaching staffs who already have new jobs somewhere else, it may just be time to retire bowl season as a concept. It used to be fun but now it sucks, and making it not suck would require top-down structural change that are never going to happen.

The solution is to have the portal open after bowl season, not get rid of bowl season.

The playoff will only give 1 spot to g5 teams. Eliminating bowl season effectively gives the entire g5 access to 1 post season game. That’d be terrible.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I don’t mind the bowls with kids sitting out. I guess the assumption is that they’re leaving the school anyway so this is a chance to see what the team next year will look like.

That does effectively make them meaningless and more of an exhibition but eh.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What if they played the non-playoff bowls as the conclusion of spring practice? Give everyone a little spring break trip, give the fans a look at the early enrollees and their new coordinators systems in beta.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

General Dog posted:

What if they played the non-playoff bowls as the conclusion of spring practice? Give everyone a little spring break trip, give the fans a look at the early enrollees and their new coordinators systems in beta.

Man if you think the quality of bowls is bad now I don’t see how this is an answer.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

Hard pass. Lining up with the holidays is part of the appeal for me.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spacebump posted:

The solution is to have the portal open after bowl season, not get rid of bowl season.

The playoff will only give 1 spot to g5 teams. Eliminating bowl season effectively gives the entire g5 access to 1 post season game. That’d be terrible.

Because the players are nominally students, portal has to be before bowl season for academic stuff

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Can't wait for two years from now when everyone is in two conferences and your bowl opponent is in your conference but due to pod schedules you would never play them otherwise.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

General Dog posted:

Why don't you and your ideas stay on the SEC side of the fence and the G5 schools can continue to enjoy their mid-December bowls without a visit from The Bright Idea Fairy

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Carousel winds down a bit further as TCU hired Andy Avalos as DC.

Honestly was surprised it happened at this point. Joe Gillespie was officially axed yesterday and this got announced less than 24 hours later.

Defense was atrocious this year so a shakeup was desperately needed.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

General Dog posted:

this is maybe beyond the scope of this thread but the best solution is to replace the current week 0 with the bowl games that would happen over december or whatever

I guess the downside to that is kids from iowa or whatever can't chill out in nassau or miami during christmas but /shrug

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Because the players are nominally students, portal has to be before bowl season for academic stuff

Every school has classes that give full credit and start mid semester.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

https://x.com/tu_alphawave/status/1733978791389614553?s=46
Tulane needs to lock the old coach staff out already.

Kevin Sumlin did this when A&M poached him and it’s not loving cool

However I’m taking something that’s only appearing on Twitter with the usual rock of salt

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 12, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It's just like high round locks and transfers that sit out bowls, right? Everyone else who's leaving still wants the extra tape to improve their stock or are playing the last competitive game of their careers. And there's everyone playing for their spots next year who aren't going to sit.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dirty shrimp money posted:

Kevin Sumlin did this when A&M poached him and it’s not loving cool

However I’m taking something that’s only appearing on Twitter with the usual rock of salt

He tagged coaches who are moving to Houston but currently at Tulane on his commitment announcement. Every Tulane defensive player entering the portal’s announcement was immediately liked by (at the time) current Tulane/future Houston employee Wes Fritz.

I’d be shocked if they weren’t recruiting players while prepping for the bowl.

This is an obvious thing to happen when a coach jumps up conferences. However, Willie Fritz has a list of coaching rules/principles he likes to teach. One of the rules is specifically that coaches going to a new school should not poach players from their old school.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 12, 2023

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
That’s part of why Tennessee fans hated Kiffin for so long, and I guess some still do. When Kiffin left he was calling kids that had already been enrolled in classes to not show up to class because I guess there was some loophole that if you hadn’t yet started classes you could get out of your NLI and decommit/transfer without having to wait a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drunk leprechaun posted:

Hard pass. Lining up with the holidays is part of the appeal for me.

It’s true. We are expecting a baby so we are gonna be laying low and watching a poo poo ton of bad bowl games. CFB is the one sport that my wife actually likes. Pls don’t come early KG3.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s true. We are expecting a baby so we are gonna be laying low and watching a poo poo ton of bad bowl games. CFB is the one sport that my wife actually likes. Pls don’t come early KG3.

Congrats/good luck on the baby, and also congratulations on having a wife that enjoys cfb

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

General Dog posted:

The people laying the money out for bowl games don't give a poo poo what you think. Your misery is a non factor. Nothing has changed other than your perception. It's cute you think otherwise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

drewhead posted:

The people laying the money out for bowl games don't give a poo poo what you think. Your misery is a non factor. Nothing has changed other than your perception. It's cute you think otherwise.

Uh, I don’t think I suggested otherwise. I would imagine the number of people willing to go to the things is going to continue to decrease, but I don’t suppose that matters a lot since it’s all just TV inventory otherwise.

I’m not mad these things still exist, but it’s just kind of farcical the level to which everyone involved treats them as a nuisance.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

General Dog posted:

Uh, I don’t think I suggested otherwise. I would imagine the number of people willing to go to the things is going to continue to decrease, but I don’t suppose that matters a lot since it’s all just TV inventory otherwise.

I’m not mad these things still exist, but it’s just kind of farcical the level to which everyone involved treats them as a nuisance.

Yea, that sounded a lot more dickish than I intended, apologies. I was in a mood last night after Clemson's Futbol natty.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Congrats! Hope all goes well with the baby and bowl game watching!

Remeber that you can watch espn events on your phone hours after the fact. I watched a lot of rugby in the wee hours up with our kiddo when she was a freshie. And none of it was live.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drunk leprechaun posted:

Congrats! Hope all goes well with the baby and bowl game watching!

Remeber that you can watch espn events on your phone hours after the fact. I watched a lot of rugby in the wee hours up with our kiddo when she was a freshie. And none of it was live.

Thanks! That’s a good call, I’ve got the TV recording a bunch of stuff already but I’ll have to get the most of that ESPN+ subscription and watch like A-league soccer early in the morning.

dphi posted:

Congrats/good luck on the baby, and also congratulations on having a wife that enjoys cfb

Thanks! The monkeys paw is that she had to go to Michigan to get in to CFB and that made me a Michigan-adjacent Man :rip:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sumrall dismissed all the Tulane/future Houston coaches who were actively recruiting players to Houston.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Ed: wrong one

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

soooooo probably not a bad time to bump this thread now, since...... y'know...

https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/1745205496099766573?s=20

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 11, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Either there needs to be a new thread or we just keep in in N/V.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

General Dog posted:

Either there needs to be a new thread or we just keep in in N/V.

I'm thinking more about future domino effects for other teams after Bama poaches someone to replace Saban than the Saban replacement itself, but yeah maybe time to make a new thread or keep it in the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
We need a new thread, but I'd hate to just make my brand of low-effort bullshit OP since others have done sterling work before.