Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

I feel pretty strongly that Jimbo would have to miss a bowl again to get bought out this year.

I think if he won 6 or 7 games AND Texas had a really good season, the fear of living in our shadow in the SEC could loosen up the purse strings. The A&M fanbase seems to have a bit of a complex about being seen as little brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DuckHuntDog posted:

The Texas fanbase takes it for granted that we are better than A&M, so that definitely works both ways. Being in the same conference again is going to be wild.

Well yes the Texas fanbase generally considers it a given that they’re better than A&M in any number of ways. Not necessarily at football in a given year, but in a more holistic sense.

Gonna be that way in the SEC, for sure. “Whoever wins today, we’ll be back in Austin tomorrow and you’ll still be in rural Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana.” This is a pretty big part of why most everyone rightly hates us.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Realtalk, Austin seems like a dreadful place to live for a grownup.

Texas is a dreadful place to live. Austin’s about as good as it gets down there, though. And god it used to be incredible before all the drat grownups arrived.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

Peaked around 2014 and then fell hard after. By 2017 I would no longer recommend.

My favorite time was '07-'10 or so. It was still getting cooler from '10-'14 but you could see some of the problems that were upcoming.

Peak was more like 2005-2007 in my book

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Adun posted:

There’s no way Elko is big enough of a name.

At A&M he is, I think. A number of them miss his defenses and think of him as the one that got away. Also they may not be in a position to money whip a bigger name right after they shell out like $80m to fire Jimbo and his assistants.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 21, 2023

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Dr_Strangelove posted:

We’re leaving next year. We’ve had enough.

Left last year. Do recommend. I miss a lot of people from there and I miss the food but in general I do not miss being in Texas nearly as much as I thought I would, even after I felt it was time to get out.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

Rural CT here. New England is much, much nicer than I expected. If you can find good prices on housing, CT, Mass, RI, NH, VT, and Southern ME are all up there in best places to live. Providence metro feels a lot like Austin circa early 2000's, but their housing prices have risen with the rest of the nation as well.

We were looking at Colorado, going so far as to have toured houses there. It was close and we were redirected thanks to the pandemic. We had also started considering Washington state, but hadn't visited, and we had a short flirtation with Nova Scotia as well (and having now visited, I'd live in Halifax)

Same. We felt Colorado or the West Coast would be more our vibe, but among other factors those places are on fire much of the time and that seems unlikely to improve a lot going forward.

Rural CT is chill and friendly and pretty and there are four full actual seasons. You can easily drive to beaches in the summer and skiing in the winter. The public schools are generally great. The dispensaries kind of suck, but there are quasi-legal cannabis farmer’s markets that smell as good as any place on earth, where half ounces of the dankest poo poo ever go for like $35-40. Other than the pizza (New Haven represent) and the ice cream the food is subpar compared to Texas but then again going to NYC and back for a date night is viable if you’re willing to spend some time on trains.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Mike_V posted:

It'd be cool if they took Leipold out of Lawrence.

Someone’s gonna, at this rate.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

curried lamb of God posted:

I haven't been to Austin since 2009, crazy to think that it's changed so much.

Most cities change in the course of 20 years. Neighborhoods rise and fall in desirability, sprawl stretches ever further, etc. But even the skyline of Austin is unrecognizable from 2003. The vibe is totally different. It’s gone from a sort of flaking barn wood and rusty corrugated metal aesthetic to a glass and chrome Tomorrowland. The vibrant city where normal people could make rent and pursue their passions is long gone. Tech bros flock there the way purveyors of white blues once did. Teslas own the streets downtown.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

dispensaries are coming along. They've been open for like 6 months at this point. Wait until there are enough of them that they have to actually compete on price and quality.

Prices may come down eventually but they won’t compete on quality unless and until the law is changed. Per law, there can only ever be a maximum of four growers licensed to sell to dispensaries in CT. So it’s a few big corporate growers mass producing lovely corporate mids that smell like hay and nobody’s allowed to compete with them (gee, I wonder who wrote the law…?). Everywhere has roughly the same selection. It’s basically like if every liquor store in the state was restricted to only selling Bud, Miller, and Coors products.

But it’s ok because if you’re willing to go a little more underground with it the “craft brewing” scene is pretty incredible.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
In like 2010 Art Briles was an innovator, and lots of other people hadn’t caught up to where he was yet. He’s not going to take anybody by surprise now that his style of offense is practically the default across the sport.

When going no-huddle and lining up in 5-wr sets could still catch really good teams sleeping and nobody had ever seen an RPO, Briles was basically a wizard. I seriously doubt that after years away from the bigs he has it in him to find a whole other way to change the paradigm. There’s no sense dirtying up your program to get him on board. He’s just as toxic as ever and he no longer represents the potential he once did.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

This happened to Texas too (how we ended up with Sark, which I suppose isn't going as poorly as the last couple hires).

A&M at least gave Fisher and Sumlin a lot more time. Tennessee and Texas were just churning through coaches so quickly that any sane coach wouldn't want to jump into the mill. I think there's a big difference when you're looking at a school that fires its coach every 3 years vs. 5 years.

Strong only lasted 3 years but those were three losing seasons so what can you expect? Herman lasted 5 years, Sark’s wrapping up year three and he’s not on the hot seat. We’re not that fast on the draw.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Yeah I’d like to think A&M has at least established a track record as a place that will give you some time when you compared to, say, Auburn or Florida.

Yes but also kind of a track record as a place you go to watch your career go up in flames while a bunch of goofy motherfuckers with high and tight haircuts mill around moaning about how it’s all because they’re too accepting of your mediocrity.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 13, 2023

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

Herman got 4 seasons apparently. I think I forgot the covid-shortened one.

Had that been a full season I think he would’ve gotten to ten wins again. Good enough to take over from Charlie Strong and field two ten-win level teams in four years, all without the benefit of NIL, and we fired him for loving Sark. Still incomprehensible to me, even if it works out in the end.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

NickRoweFillea posted:

That is so much money.

Plus the buyouts for his assistants, plus the buyout for whoever they hire and all the assistants he wants to bring in, etc. This is easily a $100m decision I’d think.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Fisher was rapidly wearing out his welcome at FSU anyway, wasn’t he?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Chieves posted:

Starting a Dabo to A&M rumor on the basis of nothing at all.

E: besides it being funny

The funniest version of this is them doing the exact same thing as last time and having it go the same way or worse.

There’s a big name, natty-winning coach who has stumbled just a little of late and is catching some heat. Say, maybe with a sufficiently ludicrous contract A&M could actually lure him away from those ingrates and offer him a fresh start with all the resources in the world... Fire up the engraving machine, fellas, we’re gonna need another blank national title plaque!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I actually think it would be a good hire, but still lol if A&M shells out like $90m just to poach the HC from UTSA. Basically any hire outside of a massive splash is funny in that context I guess.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

If you hire the UTSA guy, you don't have to pay him $90 million. He's the coach of UTSA.

He makes $2.5 million a year now

I mean the total bill for the coaching change. Buying out Jimbo and his assistants, buying out Traylor’s UTSA contract and paying him, and hiring and paying new assistants, probably buying them out of contracts elsewhere, too. Jimbo alone is $77m. $90m is very conservative imo.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah the whole thing is gonna cost north of 100 milly before ATM signs a single paycheck for any of the new coaching staff

It’s insane. The whole point of this contract was they couldn’t get out of it. They were married to Jimbo, committed. They set it up where they couldn’t get emotional and fire him because nobody would do this to themselves. And then they just… did. They totally underestimated their own capacity to melt down this hard.

It’s like if Odysseus had his crew tie him to the mast so he could hear the siren song but not die, but then the chorus hit and he somehow ripped the mast off the boat and plunged face first into the water still tied to it.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It’s like the old paradox about omnipotence. Can A&M make a contract so onerous and unfavorable that they themselves cannot break it?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The greatest troll in the history of football would be for Jimbo to get an SEC gig and beat A&M while they’re paying him $8m a year or whatever to coach against them.

He was kind of incentivized to get fired by this contract where he gets paid his full salary 100% no matter what, no offset if he gets another job. So if he can get fired and find a gig that will pay him half as much as A&M, he just got a 50% raise. King poo poo.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LeeMajors posted:

Kansas being good is legit heartwarming. I’ve like actually got a lot of love for both Kansas and Kansas State.

Hell, same, even though both have been a real thorn in Texas’ side at different times

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

would be a great hire for Sparty and a real kick in the balls for the Beavs

A real kick in the beav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I once had a very bad experience with Manny Diaz and some Mormons