Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
A quick analysis of the current P5 coaches, with the caveat that I don't follow college foobaww as much as I used to:

ACC

Untouchable*: Brown(UNC)
Solid: Sweeney(Clemson), Norvell(FSU), Cristobal(Miami), Narduzzi(Pitt), Dorern(NCST), Elko(Duke), Clawson(WF), Freeman(ND)
Undecided: Brohm(UL), Key(GT), Elliott(UVA)
Heating Up: Pry(VT),
He's On Fire!: Hafley(BC), Babers(Cuse)

Let's address the obvious elephant in the room: no, I don't think Dabo's getting fired. Clemson's stupid and prone to making GBS threads the bed but even they're not that stupid. What I do think is that Dabo might consider gettin' out while the gettin' is good, especially considering the impending financial imbalance between Clampson and the rest of his geographical rivals. Mack's reputation will keept him in Chapel Hill as long as he wants, while Elko's not going to be at Duke for too long at this rate. Narduzzi/Dorern/Clawson are in a group where they've been at their respective schools for a while and haven't won anything for the most part, as I choose to ignore the fact Pitt and Wake played for the ACC title. The tragedy at UVA makes last year a wash for Elliott, but he's not done himself any favors to start '23. I don't know how Babers is still at Syracuse. Threw Marcus Freeman in here because why not.

B1G

Untouchable*: Franklin(PSU), Ferentz(Iowa)
Solid: Day(OSU), Harbaugh(UM), Locksley(Maryland), Fleck(Minn)
Undecided: Fickell(UW), Braun*(NW), Rhule(Neb), Barnett*(MSU), Walters(Purdue)
Heating Up: Schiano(Rutgers), bert(Illinois),
He's On Fire!: Allen(Indiana)

Franklin's been very good at Penn State for a while now, barring the COVID year, and once next season rolls around and they don't have to play OSU/Michigan every year, things are only looking up. I was tempted to lower Ferentz to solid with the possibility that he'd ragequit over his defense not scoring enough points to save his son's job. Day should be untouchable given the results, but he's now lost twice in a row to That school and did himself no favors with the final drive vs Georgia; I think OSU would be nuts to get rid of him but a third straight loss to That School Up North (plus Urbz mingling behind the scenes you know he is) can lead to irrational decisions. As for Harbaugh, that he's finally gotten Michigan over the hump and then done everything possible to leave is hilarious. I want Michigan to win the national title and in the immediate postgame interview for Harbaugh to openly throw his panties at like the Raiders or Falcons job. Schiano might be on the permanent warming up seat at Rutgers. Indiana's been bad since COVID and it might cost Allen his gig.

B12

Untouchable*: Gundy(OSU)
Solid: Malzahn(UCF), Leipold(KU), Sitake(BYU), Dykes(TCU), Klieman(KSU), McGuire(TTU)
Undecided: Sarkisian(UT), Satterfield(Cincy)
Heating Up: Venables(OU), Aranda(Baylor), Campbell(ISU)
He's On Fire!: Holgorsen(UH), Brown(WVU)

Had I done this at the start of the season, Sark would have been firmly in the NBA Jam categories. Beating Bama before we all realized Bama was trash this season earns him a bit of a reprive. Gundy and OSU are wed at this point. I considered putting Sitake in Untouchable, but let's see how life in a major conference suits the Mormons first. Leipold's age (59) might be the biggest thing against him getting a shot at a major program, sad to say. I think Campbell missed his chance to move up and might have to settle for a lateral or downward move. I'm assuming people wanting Holgo the Magnificent gone are due more towards his charming personality than his results.

P12

Untouchable*: Whittingham (Utah)
Solid: DeBoer(UW), Kelly(UCLA), Lanning(OU), Riley(USC), Smith(OSU)
Undecided: Dickert(WSU), Sanders(Colorado), Dillingham(ASU), Taylor(Stan)
Heating Up: Fisch(Arizona)
He's On Fire!: Wilcox(Cal)

Be I a betting man, I would be shorting Deion at Colorado right now. He's got the entire college football world eating out of his hand at the moment, but he's going to have to start playing some real teams here soon and there's obvious flaws with his Buffs. I also don't think Deion's gonna be in Boulder for the long term; either something better is going to come about and he'll make the leap or things will implode in a fury of media leaks and lawsuits. DeBoer is someone who could be in position to make a big leap here in the offseason, or at least force Washington to spend what little B1G money they're going to get on keeping him. Kelly is fascinating to me; both he and UCLA looked around for different partners a couple of years ago and found no one better (plus UCLA couldn't afford to fire him), so they stayed together for the kids and have found some degree of success. Riley can develop a Heisman QB just as well as he can crumble in a big time game. I'm not sure what to think of WSU/OSU's situations; Smith has done well enough to keep his seat while Dickert's only been average, and the real question is going to be how either side can keep spending at a P5 level without P5 money coming in. Speaking of P5 money coming in, I assume that's the reason Wilcox is still at Cal.

SEC

Untouchable*: Smart(UGA), Stoops(UK), Saban(Bama)
Solid: Kiffin(Miss), Heupel(UT), Kelly(LSU), Lea(Vandy), Beamer(SC)
Undecided: Freeze(Auburn), Arnett(MSU)
Heating Up: Napier(UF), Pittman(Ark)
He's On Fire!: Drinkwitz(Mizzou), Fisher(A&M)

One natty doesn't make you Untouchable in God's Favorite Conference. Two does, however, so welcome to job security Kirby Smart! I'm still amazed that Stoops' name isn't thrown around more and not only is he still at Kentucky, but he might outlast John Calipari. Godking Saban's going to coach until he's literally at death's door. Kiffykins has a good thing going at Ole Miss but he'll never be able to tame his wandering eye. Freeze is back in the SEC, meaning Auburn will be on probation come 2028 at the latest. Pittman is following the bert path, meaning there'll be a new coach calling the hogs either next year or the year after. I'm not sure who'll blink first between Drinkwitz and Mizzou but someone will after this season. Anyone else would have been gone after making GBS threads the bed as bad as Aggie did last season, but This Coach and more importantly This Contract kept that from happening. At some point the Aggie boosters are gonna have to swallow deep and realize that they're gonna have to spend nine digits to get rid of their mistake and to bring in someone new. And you know they're not gonna bring in Elko or DeBoer or someone who isn't "proven", they're gonna want a winner. Sweet Baby Jesus in Heaven, please let this come to fruition, please give me 2024 Texas A&M Head Coach Dabo Sweeney. I need it. I need Aggie not learning from their mistakes. Please let it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

Its about half as expensive to rent an equivalent well-located nice apartment in San Antonio as it is Austin as far as I can tell

If I had to go to anywhere in Texas for a weekend, I feel like SanAn would be the best bet.

Go have some churros with them big ol' women down by the dirty creek.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
lol yes please hire danger dan enos, what's the worse that could happen

i hear he will be very, very, almost painfully available this offseason

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rick posted:

I would say with Arizona Fisch is closer to an extension than he is the hot seat and I say that as he's on the verge of potentially only winning one more game this season. Arizona was so hosed up by Sumlin that I think everyone is ready to give some time to this.

I thought Sumlin with darkhorse Heisman candidate Khalil Tate was going to be a thing. How wrong I was.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Ferentz takes off the limiters and Iowa starts going full Air Raid, full mid 2010's Big 12 football.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Azrial posted:

I think Texas A&M should hire Dabo, nothing could possibly go wrong.

I’ve been trying to will that into existence since the start of the season. What could possibly go wrong?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Actually gently caress it 25m/y for Belichick make him say no.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
NGL if I had 70-80m coming my way I woudln't coach for another minute. I wouldn't work for another second. No TV, no analyst crap, not evne the banquet circuit unless I wanted to hang out with some old friends. I would build the nicest beach house on the coast possible and when it fell into the sea I would go 10 feet back and build another one.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I've been trying to will this since the start of the season. Join me my brothers in our Dabo to College station spirit bomb.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

Would Chip ever join up with Brian?

I feel like Chip would either retire or head to analyst life. Though let's go with the comedy option and he's the new OC for the Pats after Belichick gets real desperate to make a change.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Mark Stoops to A&M is all but official.

He's making 9m/year at Kentucky to not win a division, he should feel right at home in College Station.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/ThreeTechPod/status/1728649567535587412

First, if true, lol, lmao even.

Second,

https://twitter.com/TheTailgateTent/status/1728626652392124542

According to Bud Elliott, four of those names turned A&M down; Lane was never a canidate, and it makes no sense for Sark to jump from Texas to Texas A&M.

Fun times in College Station!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
jesus h dickshitting christ petrino why

guess i can skip arky games until '25, ty for saving me the time

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I assume she's wherever he left her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hed posted:

drat, now Bert is the only one still in the big ten, albeit at a different school.

Ferentz is still there, and always will be.