Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As you have probably heard, Michigan State head coach Mel Tucker has been suspended without pay pending a Title IX investigation into allegations of sexual harassment. There is a less than 1% chance he makes it out of this considering he has admitted to things that could get him fired with cause. The university is just trying to make sure they don’t have to pay the $70 million buyout on his instantly regretted $95 million contract. Thus begins the opening of this year’s carousel...

...if not for it technically opening in the summer when Northwestern fired god-king Pat Fitzgerald among a hazing scandal that went back for years. Good luck with that!

A couple of other early hot seats:

Neal Brown has been on it for some time at West Virginia, and they looked like complete rear end to open the season against Penn State. But the school and state is also experiencing a major money problem. A dead man walking, but for how long?

Dana Holgorsen’s Houston squad opened the season winning a squeaker against UTSA, then mounting a valiant comeback from down 28-0 in a double overtime loss. Unfortunately that was against Rice, a team nobody in FBS should ever be down 28-0 to, let alone a Big 12 program. Coug fans seem pretty sick of him in general.

Butch Jones was seen crying as Arkansas State losing 73-0. This was the Sun Belt's most consistently good program for some time. He's currently 5-21.

Jeff Hafley at Boston College: what are we doing here at this point? Survived Holy Cross though.

Jimbo Fisher: Texas A&M still owes him so much money but the results remain disappointing and the SEC is about to get Texas and Oklahoma.

Feel free to suggest more I’m not thinking of!

Wow, only two of those five actually got fired, with three successfully coaching for their jobs (I could maybe see BC moving on anyway but also it's BC).

Here now is the updating carousel:

ACC

Duke
Out: Mike Elko, gone to College Station
In: Nobody yet. I don't think an interim has even been named for their bowl game

Syracuse
Out: Dino Babers, fired 11 games in
In: Georgia DBs coach Fran Brown

Big Ten

Indiana
Out: Tom Allen has been paid $20 million to leave after going 3-9
In: Curt Cignetti of transitional darlings James Madison

Michigan State
Out: Mel Tucker as discussed earlier. Harlon Barnett went 2-8 in his absence.
In: Jonathan Smith and most of his Oregon State staff

Northwestern
Out: Pat Fitzgerald before the season started
In: David Braun has had the interim tag removed after getting this squad to 7-5 when most expected 1-11 or worse.

Big 12

Houston
Out: Dana Holgorsen after a year where he seemed to have given up
In: Willie Fritz, coming off two of the best Tulane seasons since polio was eliminated

Pac-12 (RIP)

Oregon State
Out: Alumni hero Jonathan Smith, gone for greener and whiter pastures
In: Defensive coordinator Trent Bray has been promoted.

SEC

Mississippi State
Out: Zack Arnett on somewhat of a raw deal after Mike Leach's death
In: Oklahoma OC and Art Briles son-in-law Jeff Lebby

Texas A&M
Out: They finally ponied up to get rid of Jimbo
In: Mike Elko, their former DC in the better Jimbo years

The American

Tulane
Out: Willie Fritz, off to Houston
In: Nobody yet

CUSA

Middle Tennessee State
Out: Rick Stockstill is finally gone after being there forever

UTEP
Out: Dana Dimel and his 20-49 record

Mountain West

Boise State
Out: Andy Avalos, who underwhelmed at a school that still considers themselves the cream of the G5 crop
In: Nobody yet, but interim Spencer Danielson has gotten them to the MWC championship game anyway

Nevada
Out: Ken Wilson did terribly in a terrible situation

New Mexico
Out: Alumni Danny Gonzalez out after going 11-32
In: Nobody yet. Good luck guys.

San Diego State
Out: Brady Hoke has been forcibly retired after a couple of years of miserable offense
In: Colorado OC and possibly Kent State's greatest coach of all time Sean Lewis

Sun Belt

James Madison
Out: Curt Cignetti, gone to Indiana

Louisiana-Monroe
Out: Terry Bowden after going 10-26

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Add in Northwestern since they fired Pat Fitzgerald. David Braun is just an interim coach as far as I know.

oh yeah duh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Butch Jones, Arkansas State
Jeff Hafley, Boston College
Ken Wilson, Nevada

Of those three I assume Butch may not make it through the season. For the other two, I guess it’s a matter of whether anyone cares enough to bother firing them.

Nevada was starting from a pretty terrible position so he may have some leniency. But getting absolutely smoked by Idaho does not help his case.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

They were coming off an 8-4 season when he took over and immediately fell to 2-10. That’s John L. Smith caliber work.

Didn't they lose a shitload of players when Norvell left for CSU?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
MSU is a real poo poo situation now. The whole school's been in turmoil for like five years and the Big Ten is getting four new schools, three of which are in way better football position now. Who's gonna want this? The plus side is that they have a long time to search and won't have to pay Mel.

I've heard Leipold and Klieman suggested as guys they should target and those would both be pretty good fits. Honestly I think they should give Chris Creighton a call.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/GaryMiles_DN/status/1703870115635138697?t=njUYXz2nAJhG-Q6m1KhUVQ&s=19

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Please no Narduzzi I love what you did here as DC man but dear god the state of Pitt offense is reminiscent of our worst Dantonio years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Leipold is the hottest name by far. I think they should give Chris Creighton a serious look especially if they are trying to go back to the identity of the Dantonio era (overlooked recruits playing above their rating, grinding it out, playing slightly dirty). Split Zone also did a good bit on how they aren’t necessarily going to spend the way people think. It’s a misconception that Ishbia is footing the bill for everything. $71 million of Tucker’s contract was supposed to be coming from normal boosters.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We already have Klieman’s old DC as well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1707537168665563165?t=zDLeP92lflmWQR-ZmC9FNg&s=19

Please no Narduzzi

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can’t imagine watching Ole Miss play Bama and Georgia this season and thinking he’s the missing piece that will get you competing with the big dogs in the SEC, but I could never divine the mind of an A&M booster.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Northwestern has won a conference more recently than A&M. They are more like North Carolina but with people who care about the football team.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mississippi State has also been missing their starting quarterback, running back and best wide receiver recently. Shockingly this has been bad for the offense. But I get why they’d want a clean slate in Starkville.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dan Mullen's Mississippi State is basically what A&M has been for my entire life, just with the occasional five star.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The good Jon Smith

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Because hiring an Oregon State Coach worked so well by Nebraska

That's even more nonsensical than arguments that you shouldn't draft players from one program or another

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/camderbytv/status/1728212535873241176?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/MSU_Football/status/1728477761935938013?t=qxqADAECh5qPqy1LtVeXqA&s=19

Happy with this hire but I'm a little concerned that he's never been on a staff east of Montana.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Komet posted:

There was no point in him sticking around if he had any ambition for playoffs

Could have gotten the G6(?) autobid sometimes. Don't know if that's less realistic than MSU getting to the 12 team playoff in the new Big Ten

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Smith is apparently keeping Harlon Barnett on staff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Does ULM even have a reason to stay in FBS besides pride? Is it because Lafayette figured things out?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Coaches to successfully use Indiana as a stepping stone job include... uh ... *checks notes*

Sam Wyche got the Bengals job after 1 season and he went 3-8. Indiana is one of the most no-hope jobs in the sport

Northwestern has a longer track history of stepping stone success yeesh

Cam Cameron went from there to NFL OC and extremely failed head coach. I don’t think that’s the goal though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The OP now has the actual carousel in it. Let me know if I missed any.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/michaelniziolek/status/1730744899169853723?t=yWh6WLUnb3lnqD_bbGnBjw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s still fun if you’re a G5 fan but all of the semi-prestigious ones are being totally swallowed by the playoff.