Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, please hire Lane Kiffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I hope it's a Tennessee thing from a few years ago where they shoot for the stars on a hire but their first five turn them down or implode. I live for that type of drama. And A&M will over overpay again for whoever they get so it's doubly hilarious. Other multipliers are in play because there are a ton of bad choices.

This happened to Texas too (how we ended up with Sark, which I suppose isn't going as poorly as the last couple hires).

A&M at least gave Fisher and Sumlin a lot more time. Tennessee and Texas were just churning through coaches so quickly that any sane coach wouldn't want to jump into the mill. I think there's a big difference when you're looking at a school that fires its coach every 3 years vs. 5 years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Strong only lasted 3 years but those were three losing seasons so what can you expect? Herman lasted 5 years, Sark’s wrapping up year three and he’s not on the hot seat. We’re not that fast on the draw.

Herman got 4 seasons apparently. I think I forgot the covid-shortened one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

Maybe A&M will pull the ultimate in state coup and steal Sark from Texas. IMO that's the largest driver of this: in spite of loving up the second half of games by taking the foot off the gas and having the wheels fall off on offense, Sark has done well recruiting on both sides of the ball, in particular the lines and has Texas on an upward trajectory on their way into the SEC and playing A&M regularly again and in that time, A&M has stayed mid.

This doesn't change the fact that I don't think Sark can get the team to a championship until he shows more complete games. He has definitely raised the floor and got the team stable again.

It's so hard to tell.

I do get the logic that I see a lot that we've gone from losing close games to winning close games, and that the natural progression would be winning non-close games against teams we should beat on paper. But it's hard to watch and not just go "Well, we got unlucky last year and lucky this year."

We all loved doing the Sumlin-Fisher comparison, well Tom Herman was 22-13 at this point in his tenure and Sark is now 22-13.

Anyway I don't think A&M is champing at the bit to get Sark.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I haven't watched many Texas games but it's odd seeing a competent Sark after what I remember as incredibly mid to underwhelming when he was at UW. I guess he just needed better recruiting?

Not really coaching carousel talk, but we really should have lost the last 2 games, and got bailed out by very unlikely turns of event. (K State went for the 2-pt conversion instead of taking it to OT when they had us dominated in the second half, and Adonai Mitchell making a hell of a catch to convert a 3rd down that we had no business converting to run out the clock.)

All these second-half collapses are obviously on Sark and they keep happening.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
USC without Caleb Williams next year too.

Maybe they can get someone in the portal. How many years does Bo Nix have left?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If you hire the UTSA guy, you don't have to pay him $90 million. He's the coach of UTSA.

He makes $2.5 million a year now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

I went to look up when Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl in the 90s (It was 1995 and I mostly remember it because my sister declared them to be her favorite team "Because they're purple"), but also LOL at the beginning of the season record table:

It's not at all a unique thing - at least in the Big Ten schools, but it's still funny to me that this sport was once just a buncha dudes named Arthur Cumnock, Charles Bigelow Storrs, or Bum McClung* who'd get together to go like 0-2 against teams like the Dayton Athletic Club or friggin' Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology**.

* OK, these dudes were on like national championship teams and not 0-2 "Buncha guys" teams, but they were just the easiest names to find and I am not seeing the name "Arthur Cumnock" and NOT sharing it.

** I've known two people who actually went there. Go Fightin' Engineers.

I'm shocked to learn Rose-Hulman has a football team

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

They were even playing against Indiana, Purdue, Vandy, and Notre Dame!

.. They lost their last game against Notre Dame (in 1914) 103-0

All I can picture when I think Rose-Hulman football is tiny dudes with broken glasses repaired with white tape in the middle.

This also led me to the shocking discovery that MIT has a football team as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

I'm guessing we're going to seek fluke 'good seasons' for the bad big10 teams that do well by pure scheduling happenstance, like how the NFL teams sometimes get those fluke worst to first then dive right back into the dumpster.

NFL scheduling has a weird quirk that can contribute to that. 3 of your games in the NFL will be against non-divisional opponents who placed the same place as you in their division last year. So if you sucked last year but you're on the upswing, you'd get 3 games against other teams who sucked last year, which can help bolster your record. And then the opposite is true too; if you were good last year, you have a harder schedule this year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Looking forward to the 2-3 good Big 10 teams playing something closer to a real schedule going forward. This cake walk until your final game nonsense is absurd. I hope Oregon or UW wins the conference next year for maximum hilarity

It'll be interesting to see if this has an impact beyond just the harder schedule. Michigan played E. Carolina, UNLV, and Bowling green out of conference, and then their first SIX conference games were complete blowouts. That's gotta be a huge boon for a team right? Rest your first string and get playing time for your backups in your first NINE games?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yeah being able to rest any slightly dinged up starter and get tons of reps for the backups is huge not to mention the psychological impact of not being in tight games week to week. What’s nice is it won’t necessarily cost teams a playoff spot if they drop 1-2 games with the new playoff expansion but we’ll get a much better idea who’s actually good.

It's hard to say, right? I mean, Michigan was good enough to blow out all those schools.

Like, Texas lost its star running back this season because he was playing in the 4th quarter against TCU because we weren't good enough to stomp the poo poo out of TCU and put in the bench by the 4th quarter, even though we probably should have been. Same story if we'd been playing Illinois? Probably ... but I dunno maybe not.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

To be fair, Michigan barely survived against Indiana/Illinois last year
https://twitter.com/kylerrobbins/status/1594322637668638721

I suppose they're merely mediocre and feast on the true garbage teams in the big 10, then flail helplessly against good teams.

I think I'm just letting out a lot with the end of the big 10 west and all that it stood for (horrible football)

I loving hate pick plays. So much more because the announcers always highlight them in replay as "brilliant play design" and it's very clearly just OPI every loving time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

See, i think Texas is good enough and it was the game plan and playcalling shifting too early with the leads they had. They kept the starters in and didn't keep the foot on the gas, which is like, what's the point? just put the drat thing to bed in the for good in the 3rd and then you can coast in the 4th and instead they'd try and sit on a lead to start the half which never really worked out for them and yet Sark kept at it. That's my largest gripe with him is that he didn't seem to learn from that week to week, like Mack hanging on to Greg Davis for a few seasons too many.

I've found peace with Sark -- the team has got better every year and I won't complain about 10+ win seasons. The team is fun to watch. I don't think he's a like, year in and year out competing for championships coach and that's got to be ok, very few are and very few teams are. I think the second half collapses in games this season are on him and just gotta roll with it as he's the best coach since Mack and has the team in a good place.

The last 13 years have made me quite ok with a guy who can sometimes get us to this level and hopefully has a 7 or 8 win floor at all times. He seems to be an excellent game planner and a really bad in-the-moment decision-maker (see that goal-line stand for OU that cost us the game this year).

You ditch a guy like this at your own peril, Ohio State fans. Kirby Smart is like, the only time it has ever worked for a school to go "Sure, the team is very good under this coach, but it could be GREAT under a new guy".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

yeah, a more succinct way to state my thoughts. I think they could get to a championship, but won't be regulars at the playoffs.

Right, the players could always overcome a bad coach if they get the chance.

Vince Young won a title with Greg Davis as his OC.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Petrino can be head coach but the Faustian bargain is Houston Nutt as his OC.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1730637789161546015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/1733231251316723783

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

This is how I see the bowls. These are the last ten teams Penn State has played in a bowl compared with the last time they played a regular season game.

Houston - 1977
Boston College - 2004
Georgia - never played in regular season
USC - 2000
Washington - 1921
Kentucky - 1978
Memphis - never played in regular season, first meeting
Arkansas - never played in regular season, first meeting
Utah - never played in regular season, first meeting
Ole Miss - never played in regular season, first meeting

I just like seeing match-ups you don't see very often or ever before.

Totally.

And if they become kind of a preview of what the team will be like next year because all this year's playmakers are sitting out, well that's fun too.