Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

If Jimbo is bought out in the next few seasons I’d bet on Elko coming back.

There’s no way Elko is big enough of a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I don’t get why the admin would do this without a big name already lined up. Expecting Urban to Aggie announced shortly

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Thermos H Christ posted:

Plus the buyouts for his assistants, plus the buyout for whoever they hire and all the assistants he wants to bring in, etc. This is easily a $100m decision I’d think.

That’s why it would surprise me if they went out and just hired Kiffin or Elmo or lol Kliff, you can’t spend that kind of cash and not come away with a clear top 10 coach

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

fast cars loose anus posted:

A&Ms booster class has this real stupid fixation on getting established coaches because they want to replicate Bama taking Bear Bryant from us, so we never end up doing what we should do which is find a good up and comer and give him resources

Franchione getting hired away from Bama is the most obvious example of this and rumors for years have it that our AD wanted to hire some guy from Bowling Green named Urban Meyer but was overruled in that case

I want Mike Elko personally

I think Elko is probably the best coach Duke’s had since Spurrier but spending north of $150m combined to bring him in is insane

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Going from Duke to Texas A&M is an even more dramatic change in expectations than Kentucky to Texas A&M.

But look to be realistic Duke can never compete with a team willing to drop $100m+ to fire their old coach and bring in a new one. It’s at least an improvement to have teams want to hire our coaches. Given they just hired Elko, cautiously optimistic about the administration getting the right coach in especially since next year is a rebuilding year anyways

Also hope Elko is represented by a good agent because he shouldn’t take anything less than a contract that sets him up for life

But man A&M firing a coach because 8-4 in the SEC west isn’t good enough only to hire a coach that went 7-5 in the ACC coastal is a trip

Adun fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

kayakyakr posted:

He failed at Miami. Lots of coaches have failed at Miami in the last decade.

Sonny Dykes failed at Cal, but managed to take TCU to the national championship. Crazier things have happened.

His stint at Miami looks better after two years of Mario Cristobal in a weaker ACC produced the same results.

Feels like Duke is trying to too closely mirror what we did with Elko but on paper it seems like a great hire