Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Athletic has Feldman and Vannini pitching Tucker replacements as MSU inches towards being officially open

Both:
  • Sean Lewis (OC Buffalo)
  • Chris Klieman (HC Kansas State)
  • Lance Leipold (HC Kansas)
  • Mike Elko (HC Duke)
  • Brian Hartline (OC tOSU)
  • Pat Narduzzi (HC Pitt)
  • Matt House (DC LSU)
  • Charles Huff (HC Marshall)
Feldman:
  • PJ Fleck (Head Boatrower Goldy Bitch)
  • Willie Fritz (HC Tulane)
  • Jason Candle (HC Toledo)
  • Kane Wommack (HC USA)
  • Bill O'Brien (OC Patriots, CEO post misconduct reputation rehabilitation inc)
  • Sherrone Moore (OC Michigan)
  • Harlon Barnett (Interim HC Michigan State)
Vannini:
  • Matt Campbell and a time machine (HC Iowa State)
  • Dave Clawson (HC Wake Forest)
  • Jonathan Smith (HC Oregon State)
  • Mark Stoops (HC snowball's chance)
  • Mike Tressel (DC Wisconsin)
  • Dave Doeren (HC NC State)
  • Ryan Grubb (OC Washington)
  • Tyson Helton (HC Western Kentucky)

Bringing Fleck back to Michigan is an interesting thought. His arrival to Dinkytown was in the aftermath of a group sexual assault by players and recruits, including evidence destruction to try and cover it up - the incident that led their teammates to threaten to boycott their bowl game unless punishment was rescinded (supported by interim HC Tracy Claeys). Matt Campbell actually strikes me as the sort of boring, posthype coach they really need right now (but I don't recall and cba to look in to his program's off-field record at ISU).

That they've shown a willingness to overpay and overcommit even before the new TV deal tells us MSU should be an attractive job that can poach successful coaches from P5 schools (and nobody should blame Smith for jumping in the life raft), but between this and Nassar I'd also think my program would be (rightfully!) under a microscope.

MSU's in an interesting spot, and I wonder if they try and jump early or see if something idiotic like a Day firing happens later.

I'm halfseriously contemplating what a negotiated Jimbo exit would look like - obviously A&M wouldn't make the Spartans pay a dime at this point if Jimbo was willing, but how much would they have to kick in as an exit bonus to make the departure palatable for the guy who has $75m coming if they can him? Would an immediate $25m lump sum do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Nah. Fleck is always good for at least two :psyduck: losses per year and another couple escapes, with one exception (which was just a fuckton of escapes)

17: 4-8 Maryland, a combined 70-0 to NU and Wisconsin to end the season
18: 4-8 Nebraska (53-28), 4-8 Illinois (55-31)
19: 4th quarter comeback (and a pick 6) to beat South Dakota State at home, last minute pass to tie and double OT (game saving heroics from Winfield) to beat Fresno State, 4th quarter comeback (TD pass with :12 in the 4th) against Georgia Southern, and still ended the season by pissing away their first division crown by losing to their biggest rivals as favorites at Iowa and home (in a slaughter) to Bucky. This was his good year
21: Bowling Green, 5-7 Illinois
22: the most defensible year... 3 straight to Purdue, Illinois, Penn State to open conference play and then only dropping 31 on the Scarlet Knights, which counts as 4 straight imo

Definitely helps that he replaced Tracy Claeys after Tracy tearfully shared his pride in and support of the whole team announcing a boycott of the bowl game in protest of a group of their teammates receiving slaps on the wrist for sexually assaulting a cheerleader and then destroying evidence and intimidating witnesses... who himself took over from the abusive and seizure prone Northern Illinois (and now New Mexico State) legend Jerry Kill, who took over from the TE Coach GOAT Tim Brewster.

Minnesota's happy with cringe Glen Mason no matter how embarassing the annual egglaying gets.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Amazing work, no notes

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I can see it a bit. The Big 10 has been incredibly weak during Days stint at OSU and he’s had two insanely talented QBs, but in spite of that he keeps losing to his only real opponents. OSU is such a juggernaut at this point idk that it’s crazy for them to have wild expectations. They’ve been this good for decades now. I think the next two years playing in a real conference and with a real playoff will tell us a lot about Day as a coach. Personally I think he’s mediocre and won’t gently caress up OSUs juggernaut path while also not doing anything special in important games. Idk he’s like a modern Dabo, he’ll live and die by his coordinators and QBs
In the 4 full seasons since taking over for Meyer, Day has beat:
  • #25 MSU (34-10)
  • #13 Wisconsin (38-7)
  • #9 Penn State (28-17)
  • #10 Michigan (56-27)
  • #10 Wisconsin (34-21)
  • #20 Penn State (33-24)
  • #7 Michigan State (56-7)
  • #10 Utah (48-45)
  • #5 Notre Dame (21-10)
  • #13 Penn State (33-24)
  • #9 Notre Dame (17-14)
  • #7 Penn State (20-12)

He has lost to
  • #3 Clemson (23-29, NCG)
  • #12 Oregon (28-35)
  • #6 Michigan( 27-42)
  • #3 Michigan (23-45)
  • #1 Georgia (41-42, CFP)
  • #3 Michigan (24-30)

8-5 against the top 10 (7-3 in the regular season), 12-6 against the top 25 (11-5). 67% of the losses were 1 possession games compared to 25% of the wins. Undefeated by unranked teams.

Clemson, same period: 9-5 against top 25 teams, 6 unranked losses
Georgia: 20-2-1
Bama: 14-6-1
School Up North 9-7-0, 7-7-0 if we don't credit Jim with Moore's wins.
Frankenreilly: 7-10-2

12-6-0 stacks up incredibly well with what's generally viewed as the nation's top programs and the nation's top coaches. 2/2a with Bama.

To be clear, I'd love to see Day fired because aside from maybe Clemson, no program or fanbase has deserved getting Nebraska'd this hard since, well, Nebraska. But the concept of him as mediocre, a caretaker, triumphing over a cupcake schedule and incapable of taking Brutus to his deserved heights is ludicrous.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who would they even target? They definitely would want to keep Hartline, dude just produces and croots the hell out of receivers.
DeBoer, 7-1-4 in the same period, would probably be the best plausible option but prying him away from the Dawgs isn't particularly realistic (and no one of his caliber would go to Ohio State without a Jimbo/Tucker deal if they shitcan Day after the past 4 seasons). Sticking in Seattle, maybe bringing Pete back to college?

After Day's replacement inevitably flames out, I think you're seriously looking at a mildly rehabilitated Scotr Frost or Jimbo. Or Hartline after at least marginal G5 success.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Neil Armbong posted:

why on earth would they go with this retread when they are finally on an upward trajectory?
21-15 (16-9 ACC) and bowl eligible 3x doesn't seem like a disqualifying past history for Duke of all programs, given they've avoided losing ACC records 5 times in the past 20 years and made 7 bowls in the period.

idk I hear retread and I think an extensive history of barely or not working out as a head coach, not a longtime DC with a fair amount of success who did a lot of winning in the p5 in his lone stint as a head coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I guess where I'm coming from is that if his Miami tenure was a failure, it's the sort of failure Duke should be eagerly signing up to repeat.