Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ugly John posted:

I know they got shellacked as well this weekend, but man it feels premature as hell to not even give him (Arnett) a full season after such a high-profile loss.Also I could see A&M going after Kiffin sadly - I know Ole Miss shat the bed in their two biggest games this year but I could very easily see their top brass thinking something along the lines of "Well, if Lane could take that second rate-rear end program to 10-2 (theoretically) in the SEC West, imagine what he could do with us". SEC schools always have that air of "temporarily embarrassed SEC champs/playoff contenders" even when we really shouldn't (except Vandy).

The Lake Wobegon effect of college football. All our OLmen can block, all our QBs are good looking, and all our skilled players are above average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

General Dog posted:

I don't know if I'd say "well, he accumulated this record at Miami, so it's realistic that he matches or succeeds that at Duke in the same conference." That said, maybe he's learned something, maybe the cultural fit is better, who knows. Seems like neither a slam dunk hire nor a "slam your head against the wall" hire.

Valid points. Also while 21-15 (16-9 ACC) and bowl eligible 3x may be failing at Miami, I don't think Duke would evaluate that the same way.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

General Dog posted:

I feel like if we're at a point where players don't want to play in bowls (or can't because of where the transfer portal window is currently situated) and 50% of the teams are coached by weird lame-duck skeleton crew coaching staffs who already have new jobs somewhere else, it may just be time to retire bowl season as a concept. It used to be fun but now it sucks, and making it not suck would require top-down structural change that are never going to happen.

The people laying the money out for bowl games don't give a poo poo what you think. Your misery is a non factor. Nothing has changed other than your perception. It's cute you think otherwise.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

General Dog posted:

Uh, I don’t think I suggested otherwise. I would imagine the number of people willing to go to the things is going to continue to decrease, but I don’t suppose that matters a lot since it’s all just TV inventory otherwise.

I’m not mad these things still exist, but it’s just kind of farcical the level to which everyone involved treats them as a nuisance.

Yea, that sounded a lot more dickish than I intended, apologies. I was in a mood last night after Clemson's Futbol natty.