Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think Michigan State will hire Narduzzi. I hope so, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Things are going to have to change quickly for the now-Big Ten West teams if they are going to compete in the division-less conference. Iowa, as bad as they are, could make the Big Ten championship this year if they upset likely division winner, Wisconsin. After this year, none of these teams in the West will sniff the conference championship or playoff, except maybe Wisconsin

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Who are Michigan State's reasonable candidates?

Will Lance Leipold leave Kansas for a middling Michigan State or would he wait on a better job? We know MSU will pay, especially now that they fired Tucker with cause.

Narduzzi seems like an obvious candidate but seems like a perennial 8-4 type of guy. Pitt's poor start this year might diminish him somewhat.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Manny Diaz is going to start attracting attention at some point, but I hope it's after next season. And hopefully not at another Big Ten school.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It would be funny if Iowa makes the Big Ten championship game and hangs 60 points on Michigan

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Michigan will be looking for a coach

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I wonder if James Franklin will make a run at Sean Lewis. I think Mike Yurcich has run his course, and Franklin needs to find a coordinator that meshes better with his offensive philosophy. Drew Allar doesn't fit, and maybe he's just not very good.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

James Franklin's name used to come up any time there was a major opening, but I take it his star has dimmed.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What do Oklahoma State, Ohio State, and Texas fans think of Mike Yurcich in retrospect? Is he someone that looks more successful than he is because of the head coaches (Gundy specifically) being more directly responsible in the offense?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/AdamBreneman81/status/1723785289238233551?s=20

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

I wonder if there's ever been a mid-season game that had both coaches fired afterwards before

It should have happened after almost every Iowa game this year.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

As much as Deion wants to and may get back to FSU, holy hell would that be a bad hire for FSU right now. I'd feel bad for FSU if they lost two coaches to A&M

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I don't know how reputable it is, but on3 has Dan Mullen as the #1 guy for Mississippi State.

Followed by Manny Diaz. I expected Diaz to leave after two seasons, but I hope he doesn't.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I didn't know Lynchburg even had a Mellow Mushroom. I'm surprised someone from Liberty would show up to such a sinful place.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Would Chip Kelly be a good OC somewhere or is he just dialing it in at this point?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Seems like a smart move for NW. He might not be a long-term coach, but anyone who can right that ship and show incremental improvement deserves at least a few years to prove what he can do. Initially, Northwestern seemed like it might win one or two games.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The more I'm reading, it appears James Franklin made the decision before the Michigan game that he was firing Mike Yurcich. One of the QB recruits that committed to Penn State before the game was told by Franklin at the time that Yurcich wouldn't be returning. Despite Sean Clifford being notoriously inconsistent, Penn State's offense last year was reasonably competent and well-balanced. This year is a massive step back, almost dead last in big plays and incredibly predictable and conservative in playcalling (13 1st down runs against Michigan). It's not what anyone expected, especially after how well Allar looked in his first start against WVU. I'm at a loss for how things went off the rails on offense this year. The wide receivers aren't as good this year, but there are two NFL caliber tight ends.

Penn State fans want Sean Lewis from Colorado, but he might be one of the leading candidates for the Michigan State job. And the other name that has come up is Andy Ludwig from Utah, but he might be unattainable.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1728213370971795652?t=1I_SltDiK2Fx9W9BbD_L3A&s=19

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

There was no point in him sticking around if he had any ambition for playoffs

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

How much was his buyout?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Manny Diaz had been named as a candidate for the Miss. St., but it's a relief to see they've hired someone else because this increases the odds that Manny will stay at Penn State.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I know the answer is money, but why would anybody take the Indiana job? The last 14 coaches have finished with losing records, it is actually impossible to win there. And that was before they had to play the Pac teams

It's a stepping stone for an OC or G5 coach to a better P5 HC job

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Kevin Wilson took a few years to turn Indiana around from 1-11 to a reasonably competitive 6-6 team.

If Al Golden and Matt Rhule could make Temple respectable, then there's no reason that Indiana, with that Big Ten money, can't get to 6 or 7 wins a year.

What would Indiana have looked like the last few years if they were in the Big Ten West?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I went to an engineering camp at Rose-Hulman in high school and it became my #2 school after Penn State. I was accepted in the early admission phase and never bothered applying to any other schools other than those two. If I had, Purdue would have been my third choice. I'm glad I went to Penn State because I ended up leaving the engineering school anyway and majored in history. Things may have worked out differently at Rose-Hulman than Penn State, but if it hadn't, I would have had to transfer schools entirely. At least Penn State had lots of other options.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash is probably right about the bottom half of the Big Ten stuck in the bottom half forever, but wasn't that also the case for many decades in the conference? With the amount of money each team brings in with the TV deal and NIL money, it's possible for a crafty administration and coach to change the paradigm. UCLA is probably below Iowa and Wisconsin on the average. The other three teams have Heisman level QBs that are going to the NFL. They aren't going to come into the conference next year and immediately dominate the playoff discussion. I don't see Illinois, NW, or Purdue as hopeless.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

James Franklin solving his "can't beat Michigan or Ohio State" problem by just adding more schools to the list so Michigan and Ohio State are more hidden

James Franklin beat Michigan in 2017, 2019, and 2020. Ohio State is really the only team he's completely shook by. He also destroyed Washington in the Fiesta Bowl and Utah in the Rose, so I don't think the PAC teams really loom large in his brain the way Ohio State broke him in 2017 and 2018.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sean Spencer was great at Penn State. Not sure what happened there.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sean Lewis was on the list of potential candidates for the Penn State OC job.

This was a public post not behind the paywall on a Penn State forum, but someone with insider credibility dropped a hint that Penn State's OC would come from the state of Kansas.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

After weeks of silence, there's increasing chatter about Kansas OC Andy Kotelnicki getting hired as OC at Penn State. Seems like a pretty good hire.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

That statement reminds me of https://youtu.be/WO-QTJer3vU?si=LEjod_7kXJMnl8yB

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

Curt snatches a cup. "This is the cup of the King of Kings," he declares and drinks from it. Elsa screams as he grabs her, crimson and cream spreading over his body, the death rattle of "Indiana, Our Indiana" escaping his lips.

Lee Corso sighs. "He has chosen... Poorly."

lol

Look, I don't know what the NIL and facilities situation is at Indiana, but they get every bit of TV money as every other school in the Big Ten. There's no reason Indiana should be stuck in the dumpster below NW, Purdue, or Illinois. If Kansas or Kansas State or Iowa State can be good with fewer resources in the Big 12, so can Indiana.

Basically Indiana has only been competitive (a .500 team) basically three times in my life: Antwaan Randle El as QB, a couple years with Kevin Wilson, and 2020 with Penix.

Komet fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 30, 2023

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State hired Andy Kotelnicki from Kansas as OC.

https://twitter.com/danieljtgallen/status/1730335452538806697?t=6bAtg-XGcUGD7Muru0I08w&s=19

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

As posted when I said this is both a great hire and an awful one, Penn State probably crushes all of his creativity and he winds up running the same boring rear end PSU offense as the last 10 OC's

I don't think you could make that case about Moorhead. Penn State had one of the most exciting offenses in college football for two years. The debate is whether this is a product of Moorhead's scheme or catching lightning in a bottle with NFL talent at RB, WR, and TE, and having a QB that could execute RPO nearly perfectly.

Franklin gives Manny Diaz carte blanche on defense. He needs to do the same on offense. Franklin knows this needs to work out.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What happened to Spencer at Florida? Was he just sacrificed in order to make a clean break with a new defensive staff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State fans all knew Diaz wanted another HC job and we figured he'd have one in two years. It's just disappointing the day we knew would come actually came. I would be surprised if Franklin went outside the program and elevated Anthony Poindexter to DC.