Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Jeff Traylor loses every big game he coaches against good teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It is going to be weird if Houston gets Gary Patterson. I’d have to watch TCU Houston.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Yeah I'd agree he's probably of limited value anywhere far outside of Texas, my only point is that if he wants to move on from UTSA he's not in a lesser place if he ends up at Houston, Baylor, or TCU. He hasn't really lost anything by waiting a few years to see if UT or A&M bite, because one of those jobs is going to be open every year or two.

Though if UTSA is still a contender in the AAC next year post-Harris, he seems like someone Arkansas might want to take a look at, if he's not too tarnished by association with with the Chad Morris era.

If Houston was going to hire Traylor, they already would have.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dirty shrimp money posted:

Yep, and that makes me think (hope) UH is going to wait for Tulane’s run to end before getting him in.

Barry Odom’s name is still being thrown around too. Getting to the MWC title game at UNLV is almost video game level achievement but he sure was mid at Mizzou.

Still feel icky.

Wes Fritz is following portal players on Twitter who have offers to Houston but not Tulane. poo poo, this is what he did last year when they were going to GA Tech.

Tulane’s o line coach from last year is currently at Houston, wonder if he was told by Fritz to give out offers they’ve made in the last 24 hours.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 1, 2023

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tulane offered Fritz 5.5 mil yearly. He took 4.5 from Houston. Sucks that even offering more money didn’t work.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

houston just has more resources and is easier to recruit

Also, his daughter, mentor, and a ton of friends live in Houston.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tulane apparently announces new HC on Friday. I think the hire was made yesterday. The only rumor I’ve seen is the hire is currently a HC.

They may have interviewed Air Force’s coach.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 5, 2023

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Looks like Elko’s OC hire is going to be Collin Klein out of Kansas State. Seems like a solid pick.

Lol their OC didn’t kiss his wife until marriage.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

wonder if tulane would hire jeff monken; he's desperate to get out of the service academies and he's willing to tweak the flexbone to look like a 21st century offense

brennan marion would also be a smart choice

They allegedly interviewed Monken, Troy Calhoun, Jon Sumrall, and Alex Atkins.

Calhoun’s son works for TCU, until recently his Twitter account only followed TCU or Air Force accounts. He started following a few Tulane accounts this week. About a day later, Tulane started giving out offers.

I suspect they hired or are about to hire Calhoun.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 7, 2023

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Calhoun's son unfollowed Tulane accounts. Guess Calhoun is out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tulane may be honing in on Sumrall. Coaching hire intro press conference (for unknown coach) is on Monday.

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/...sports-featured

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1733232374865912126

lmao at the Sunbelt is better than the AAC crowd.

Pumped Tulane made the right hire.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://x.com/tu_alphawave/status/1733978791389614553?s=46
Tulane needs to lock the old coach staff out already.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

I feel like if we're at a point where players don't want to play in bowls (or can't because of where the transfer portal window is currently situated) and 50% of the teams are coached by weird lame-duck skeleton crew coaching staffs who already have new jobs somewhere else, it may just be time to retire bowl season as a concept. It used to be fun but now it sucks, and making it not suck would require top-down structural change that are never going to happen.

The solution is to have the portal open after bowl season, not get rid of bowl season.

The playoff will only give 1 spot to g5 teams. Eliminating bowl season effectively gives the entire g5 access to 1 post season game. That’d be terrible.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Because the players are nominally students, portal has to be before bowl season for academic stuff

Every school has classes that give full credit and start mid semester.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dirty shrimp money posted:

Kevin Sumlin did this when A&M poached him and it’s not loving cool

However I’m taking something that’s only appearing on Twitter with the usual rock of salt

He tagged coaches who are moving to Houston but currently at Tulane on his commitment announcement. Every Tulane defensive player entering the portal’s announcement was immediately liked by (at the time) current Tulane/future Houston employee Wes Fritz.

I’d be shocked if they weren’t recruiting players while prepping for the bowl.

This is an obvious thing to happen when a coach jumps up conferences. However, Willie Fritz has a list of coaching rules/principles he likes to teach. One of the rules is specifically that coaches going to a new school should not poach players from their old school.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sumrall dismissed all the Tulane/future Houston coaches who were actively recruiting players to Houston.