Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas is a dreadful place to live. Austin’s about as good as it gets down there, though. And god it used to be incredible before all the drat grownups arrived.

This. Texas sucks, as a whole, due to the state government. Austin used to be incredible and is the best place you can choose to live in this state.

I think we're done after my son gets through 5th grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Peaked around 2014 and then fell hard after. By 2017 I would no longer recommend.

My favorite time was '07-'10 or so. It was still getting cooler from '10-'14 but you could see some of the problems that were upcoming.

07-10 was a wonderful time to be in Austin. Transitional years and just so much fun. Things hadn't quite blown up to what they are now.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Franklin's trailer didn't open until 2009, so the town couldn't have peaked before then. The brick & mortar opened in 2011, so you could set that year as the peak, if you want.

Alamo Drafthouse, South Lamar reopened in '14 so you could mark that as the start of the decline. Black's BBQ opened their outpost in '14 as well, so that's giving more credence to that being the start of the decline.

i remember when the thought of waiting 30 minutes in line for bbq at the trailer was insane and the person who took me for the first time reassuring me it was worth it.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Why is it that Austin sucks now? I lived there from about ‘04 to ‘11 (not including college at OU) and liked it quite a bit. Is it just tech assholes coming in and ruining things or is there more to it?

that and it's gotten super bougie -- there's a gd soho house here now. lots of fun stuff to do, but a v different place now.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Mike_V posted:

everytime i see a huge self driving car traffic jam it's somewhere in austin

and thanks to state government fuckery cities can't regulate self driving cars. i saw that vw self driving vans have shown up the other day.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

There are so many loving Teslas. It's insane. And inane.

Hippies and artists used to be the group that lived there. They've been chased away to San Marcos, Smithville, and Lockhart and out of state. The tech bros have taken over.

People forgot about Leslie.

yeah, it's interesting to see people and money ruin the very thing they showed up for. almost like hugging it to death. the people who wanted hermes and a soho house used to stay in westlake or other cities altogether.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Well he got every dime Baylor owed him at least.

Because the admin helped him out to avoid scalping themselves as well.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
Maybe A&M will pull the ultimate in state coup and steal Sark from Texas. IMO that's the largest driver of this: in spite of loving up the second half of games by taking the foot off the gas and having the wheels fall off on offense, Sark has done well recruiting on both sides of the ball, in particular the lines and has Texas on an upward trajectory on their way into the SEC and playing A&M regularly again and in that time, A&M has stayed mid.

This doesn't change the fact that I don't think Sark can get the team to a championship until he shows more complete games. He has definitely raised the floor and got the team stable again.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

It's so hard to tell.

I do get the logic that I see a lot that we've gone from losing close games to winning close games, and that the natural progression would be winning non-close games against teams we should beat on paper. But it's hard to watch and not just go "Well, we got unlucky last year and lucky this year."

We all loved doing the Sumlin-Fisher comparison, well Tom Herman was 22-13 at this point in his tenure and Sark is now 22-13.

Oh, totally. I'm trying to be more positive and generous when discussing Sark. The second halves of a majority of games this season have been excruciating to watch as the team pisses away a lead and looks inept on offense after being fairly competent on offense in the first half. That seems squarely on coaching and game planning vs player execution and why I think he doesn't have the acumen to lead a team to a championship.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 13, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I haven't watched many Texas games but it's odd seeing a competent Sark after what I remember as incredibly mid to underwhelming when he was at UW. I guess he just needed better recruiting?

Not so fast my friend!

He's still not competent and has tried his best to lose quite a few games with second half game plan when the team has a lead.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

If you hire the UTSA guy, you don't have to pay him $90 million. He's the coach of UTSA.

He makes $2.5 million a year now

I think it’s a hell of a hire if they do it. Idk if boosters will be able to set egos aside and make the right hire vs a high profile hire.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

It's hard to say, right? I mean, Michigan was good enough to blow out all those schools.

Like, Texas lost its star running back this season because he was playing in the 4th quarter against TCU because we weren't good enough to stomp the poo poo out of TCU and put in the bench by the 4th quarter, even though we probably should have been. Same story if we'd been playing Illinois? Probably ... but I dunno maybe not.

See, i think Texas is good enough and it was the game plan and playcalling shifting too early with the leads they had. They kept the starters in and didn't keep the foot on the gas, which is like, what's the point? just put the drat thing to bed in the for good in the 3rd and then you can coast in the 4th and instead they'd try and sit on a lead to start the half which never really worked out for them and yet Sark kept at it. That's my largest gripe with him is that he didn't seem to learn from that week to week, like Mack hanging on to Greg Davis for a few seasons too many.

I've found peace with Sark -- the team has got better every year and I won't complain about 10+ win seasons. The team is fun to watch. I don't think he's a like, year in and year out competing for championships coach and that's got to be ok, very few are and very few teams are. I think the second half collapses in games this season are on him and just gotta roll with it as he's the best coach since Mack and has the team in a good place.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think Sark has done a good job with the roster and Texas has the talent to compete, but Sark himself is near James Franklin-levels of horrific in-game coach and Texas won't win the big one with him in charge

yeah, a more succinct way to state my thoughts. I think they could get to a championship, but won't be regulars at the playoffs.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LOL. Just fire Pittman if you're going to bring this sad sack back. He didn't exactly do well his second time at Louisville and A&M's offense was not exactly great. An unserious hire if they make it.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Why? Will just get tainted by whatever the gently caress Franklin had been doing to make that side of the ball look like poo poo.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

why on earth would they go with this retread when they are finally on an upward trajectory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I don't know if I'd say "well, he accumulated this record at Miami, so it's realistic that he matches or succeeds that at Duke in the same conference." That said, maybe he's learned something, maybe the cultural fit is better, who knows. Seems like neither a slam dunk hire nor a "slam your head against the wall" hire.

yeah, a solidly 'meh' hire if they make it -- i feel like they could've done better and maybe he has learned?