Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Peaked around 2014 and then fell hard after. By 2017 I would no longer recommend.

My favorite time was '07-'10 or so. It was still getting cooler from '10-'14 but you could see some of the problems that were upcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Peak was more like 2005-2007 in my book

Franklin's trailer didn't open until 2009, so the town couldn't have peaked before then. The brick & mortar opened in 2011, so you could set that year as the peak, if you want.

Alamo Drafthouse, South Lamar reopened in '14 so you could mark that as the start of the decline. Black's BBQ opened their outpost in '14 as well, so that's giving more credence to that being the start of the decline.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Why is it that Austin sucks now? I lived there from about ‘04 to ‘11 (not including college at OU) and liked it quite a bit. Is it just tech assholes coming in and ruining things or is there more to it?

Housing prices went insane and chased out all the artists. Corporate interests came in and distilled the "Austinness" of everything down to a cookie cutter build.

The restaurant scene that gave us Chi'Lantro, Torchy's, Franklin, Ramen Tatsuya, etc has become saturated s.t. you either need major backing or are driven out of business. Good examples of this are Veggie Heaven and their attempted relaunch, Shady Grove, that one Irish Pub that was open near Shady Grove for a year or so, even Hutts Hamburgers.

Music scene went from the place where a new band came to be discovered to just another trendy thing for people to do. Small venues died. Twitter actually ruined SXSW day parties, taking it from a day of discovery while you walked around looking for music that sounded good (or followed the bands you liked around) to a case where you chase whoever is giving out free poo poo. Which also died a death of a thousand drunks.

And the town became overrun by Tech Bros. Who aren't bad in their own right, but need to be a balanced demographic within a city.

I will say Emerald Tavern and Vigilante created an exceptional nerd space, and there was a vibrant scene and group that sprung up around those venues. That didn't happen until, what, 2017? That's why I mark 2017 as the peak.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Democratic Pirate posted:

Where did y’all go/are looking?

Texas has broken me because it’s not great here but the thought of leaving is just fuzzy noise in my brain

Rural CT here. New England is much, much nicer than I expected. If you can find good prices on housing, CT, Mass, RI, NH, VT, and Southern ME are all up there in best places to live. Providence metro feels a lot like Austin circa early 2000's, but their housing prices have risen with the rest of the nation as well.

We were looking at Colorado, going so far as to have toured houses there. It was close and we were redirected thanks to the pandemic. We had also started considering Washington state, but hadn't visited, and we had a short flirtation with Nova Scotia as well (and having now visited, I'd live in Halifax)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Same. We felt Colorado or the West Coast would be more our vibe, but among other factors those places are on fire much of the time and that seems unlikely to improve a lot going forward.

Rural CT is chill and friendly and pretty and there are four full actual seasons. You can easily drive to beaches in the summer and skiing in the winter. The public schools are generally great. The dispensaries kind of suck, but there are quasi-legal cannabis farmer’s markets that smell as good as any place on earth, where half ounces of the dankest poo poo ever go for like $35-40. Other than the pizza (New Haven represent) and the ice cream the food is subpar compared to Texas but then again going to NYC and back for a date night is viable if you’re willing to spend some time on trains.

You on the West side of CT? East side of CT and Providence has food that can match Austin aside from BBQ, Mexican, and oddly, Sushi. Granted, you have to travel a bit further for it, but you had to travel within Austin to get a lot of the best stuff anyway. Norwich punches well above its weight for food options.

And dispensaries are coming along. They've been open for like 6 months at this point. Wait until there are enough of them that they have to actually compete on price and quality. Best dispensary in the region is all the way in Fall River, but the PVD dispensaries are already starting to have to adjust because folks in PVD will go to Fall River to stock up.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Most cities change in the course of 20 years. Neighborhoods rise and fall in desirability, sprawl stretches ever further, etc. But even the skyline of Austin is unrecognizable from 2003. The vibe is totally different. It’s gone from a sort of flaking barn wood and rusty corrugated metal aesthetic to a glass and chrome Tomorrowland. The vibrant city where normal people could make rent and pursue their passions is long gone. Tech bros flock there the way purveyors of white blues once did. Teslas own the streets downtown.

There are so many loving Teslas. It's insane. And inane.

Hippies and artists used to be the group that lived there. They've been chased away to San Marcos, Smithville, and Lockhart and out of state. The tech bros have taken over.

People forgot about Leslie.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

He’s just as toxic as ever and he no longer represents the potential he once did.

He couldn't even cut it in Texas HS football. That's how far the guy has fallen.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ugly John posted:

SEC schools always have that air of "temporarily embarrassed SEC champs/playoff contenders" even when we really shouldn't (except Vandy).

I've seen this said about the poor people who vote republican, and I can't think of any more appropriate league to apply this to.

Anyway, this carousel is going to be crazy. Leipold and Kleiman had better land "last stops" this year, otherwise, people are just dumb.

Jeff Traylor might get the tires kicked. I don't think Kingsbury winds up a head coach again any time soon. More likely a proper coordinator position rather than his demi-OC with Lincoln thing he's doing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

All these second-half collapses are obviously on Sark and they keep happening.

And may they continue until the season ends.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Komet posted:

I don't know how reputable it is, but on3 has Dan Mullen as the #1 guy for Mississippi State.

I mean, this makes so much sense. The only question is if Dan is having fun as a commentator rather than a coach.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Qwijib0 posted:

finish dyche, imo

more castles!

hells yes! That is sweet as hell and I can see no reason why that shouldn't exist. 2nd level is full club/suite, video boards on each of the turrets in the corners.

Their modern designs are lame, and they're not even moving it on campus. Double lame.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Komet posted:

After weeks of silence, there's increasing chatter about Kansas OC Andy Kotelnicki getting hired as OC at Penn State. Seems like a pretty good hire.

Both an excellent hire and an insane hire. Kansas runs what is absolutely considered a gadget offense. It's somewhere between a triple option and the spread offense that Willie Fritz ran at SHSU (his offense has morphed a bit for Tulane, surprisingly).

It's not what I ever would have expected to be run at Penn State, but it's dastardly when you get good players in it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

dirty shrimp money posted:

Looks like Houston is coming down to Willie Fritz, Jeff Traylor, and Barry Odom at UNLV. Fritz the frontrunner.

I feel icky poaching a AAC team for their coach in year one of the Big 12 era.

If they go with Fritz, wonder if Jeff Traylor is feeling OK with his decision to turn down Texas Tech and openly angle for the UT or A&M jobs. UTSA is willing to match what UH could pay and being limited to just the Texas schools, he might be there for a while.

He's also the reason why Joey got the job at Tech. As long as the wheels don't fall off for Joey at TTU, he could be there for a long, long time. Only UT and A&M are sure upgrades over Tech, and who knows if any of those programs look his way the next time they come open in 3 years for A&M and ?? for UT.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Booo, don't help boring rear end PSU.

Hopefully he's one and done, immediately getting a HC job.

As posted when I said this is both a great hire and an awful one, Penn State probably crushes all of his creativity and he winds up running the same boring rear end PSU offense as the last 10 OC's

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

As far as Tech specifically, I suppose it's a marginally bigger brand than the other Texas Big 12 schools, but there's not much separating the four of them resource-wise.

Tech was #3 in revenue in the current big XII* last year and will be top 3 in the new big XII.

Buy I think you're agreeing with me? That Joey's not going to find a bigger job than Tech outside of UT & A&M given his regional limitations? I guess he could make it work at OU or LSU, considering their Texas ties and TTU's history of recruiting Louisiana.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Komet posted:

The debate is whether this is a product of Moorhead's scheme or [b]catching lightning in a bottle with NFL talent at RB, WR, and TE, and having a QB that could execute RPO nearly perfectly.[/b[

I favor the latter, though his only other body of work is a season at Oregon in which he got throttled twice by Utah and slowed enough by a Lincoln Riley Sooner team, and as a piss poor HC.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bob Chesney to JMU confirmed

Interesting hire. Guy has been fairly successful at Holy Cross, but that's a pretty out-of-left field program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Paracaidas posted:

21-15 (16-9 ACC) and bowl eligible 3x doesn't seem like a disqualifying past history for Duke of all programs, given they've avoided losing ACC records 5 times in the past 20 years and made 7 bowls in the period.

idk I hear retread and I think an extensive history of barely or not working out as a head coach, not a longtime DC with a fair amount of success who did a lot of winning in the p5 in his lone stint as a head coach.

He failed at Miami. Lots of coaches have failed at Miami in the last decade.

Sonny Dykes failed at Cal, but managed to take TCU to the national championship. Crazier things have happened.