Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ever since I can remember, my dad would refer to groin shots as "Cooney Punches". For the longest time, I wondered why he called them that, thinking he had a friend named Cooney who punched him in the crotch. Only now do I know he was referring to a moment in the Larry Holmes vs. Gerry Cooney fight from 1982 in which Cooney punched Holmes in the dick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZZDWXC1BQ

Any phrases your parents said that, in retrospect, make sense given context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My dad said a whole lot of racist things that I didn't know were racist.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

it’s all a bunch of racist hullabaloo aside from when my great grandmother would say, “it’s colder than a witch’s titties,” but i think that one is self-explanatory and likely holds no deeper meaning

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"Life sucks and then you die"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
"It's a simple task and we are already paying them far too much to do it."

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Growing up in a developing country in the Pacific we had a big stick near the front door

This was the "Kanaka Whacker"

As an adult I have now learnt that is basically "The N-word Stick" so that was a bit of a revelation about my parents I can't unlearn

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
"There's no such thing as depression, going through life with no hope except for your eventual death and eeking out what little small amounts of happiness you can before it goes away for the next day. There is nothing actually fulfilling about life, you just keep going through it because you have no choice."

As an adult I now understand my mum was hella loving depressed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I heard "poo poo fire and save the matches!" so often that I never stopped to parse it until way, way later.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Das Boo posted:

I heard "poo poo fire and save the matches!" so often that I never stopped to parse it until way, way later.

Mind unpacking it for the class?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Three Olives posted:

"It's a simple task and we are already paying them far too much to do it."

drat apple didn't fall far from the tree

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Gas thread ban op

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My mom has a lot of odd regional expressions but my favorite is probably “he should be shot with poo poo and killed for stinkin’”

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
"You're a worthless piece of poo poo"

Turns out Mom was right!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

When me and my brother were being insulted, the word was toe-rag, not 'torag'.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My grandfather used to say “poo poo, mother, I can’t dance!”

I still don’t really know what it meant.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

you look like joe poo poo, the rag-man.

basically this

killer crane posted:

My dad said a whole lot of racist things that I didn't know were racist.

TK8325 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 13, 2023

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
they mostly just ended up being a bunch of esoteric racial slurs

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My grandfather used to say “poo poo, mother, I can’t dance!”

I still don’t really know what it meant.

Neil Young has a song from 1974 called Try with the lyrics

I'd like to take a chance
But poo poo, Mary, I can't dance
So here's to lookin' up your old address
Golly what a mess
We gotta take the rest and try

It only would have been heard live or on a bootleg, though.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Das Boo posted:

I love this but also need it explained

I learned that "[Relative] has a lot of problems and they need some space" was shorthand for "that person is crazy and we're not exposing you to that anymore, no apology for letting them around you in the first place though"

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"it means you’re in complete shock or surprise. It comes from the idea of lighting a match, after going to the bathroom, to eliminate the smell – so you could save the match by “making GBS threads fire” instead."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Like a striped* rear end ape!” is something my dad would say to mean something was working as intended. He apparently picked it up from a coworker deep in the old school 1960s biker gang culture and told me it was biker slang. Example:

“How’s the chopper running?”
“Like a striped* rear end ape!”

* “striped” is pronounced with two syllables as “STRY-PED”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My Air Force dad also used the work-safe “tango uniform” to indicate something died.

If you know, you know.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jestery posted:

Mind unpacking it for the class?

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I love this but also need it explained

Nothing as complex as you might be thinking! More that I just registered it as a mundane exclamation of surprise or frustration without noticing how ridiculous the actual statement is. My mom liked to cuss and was coloring it up a bit in front of the kids to be less severe/scary. Which actually, thinking of it now, was probably something she only considered because of how terrified she was by her own dad's anger.

Oh poo poo, it ended up complex.

Also of note was "gently caress a duck!"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

My Air Force dad also used the work-safe “tango uniform” to indicate something died.

If you know, you know.

A good friend of mine used to work at an AIDS organization in the early 90s, he said the "X moved to Philadelphia" was code within the organization for died of AIDS so close their file because they became so demoralized with hearing people died constantly.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
An uncle likes to say, "The cheese is more binding." in a very sage-like tone; stroking of the beard and all. He says it when something is accomplished; from reeling in a fish, painting a wall, changing a flat on a car; whatever.

I finally asked him what the hell it meant and he admitted he had no idea. He didn't even know where he learned it. Obviously if you eat a bunch of cheese you'd probably get constipated which could be "binding", but I have no clue.

So I fail the thread in that I've known a phrase for a good 30 years and still have no idea what it means. Maybe another goon knows.

The cheese is more binding.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Father used to say many trite things my mother called "moon talk" but his favorite saying was probably, "Not bad for an old chicken farmer," which I guess is something you say if your family raised chickens on a farm.

Least favorite father expressions: it is what it is

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rPzyJd87s

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
my parents made me listen to the talking heads as a baby and i didnt realize how awesome that was until i got older does that count

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"Eeeny-meeny-miney-mo, catch a tiger by the toe --"

"That's not how I learned it!"

Also "I hate philberts -- " "That's not what we called 'em!"

Sheesh, Mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

if she keeps that up you can start calling them dipshit mother toes instead