Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

It's that wonderful time of year once again where thoughts turn to the holidays and the simultaneous fun and stress of finding gifts for people.

When I got out of college and was crazy broke, I started to make homemade holiday gifts because I had no other choice. Over the intervening 25 years, I've still intermittently made homemade gifts when I had time and energy (with a near decade break when our kids were little). Now my family are all older, nobody really needs anything, and we've got enough nieces and nephews to shop for that it's nice to just make something for the adults.

Because neither my wife or I are particularly crafty, most of what we end up making is food/booze.

Some things we've made over the years:
  • A book of family recipes in a 4x6 photo album
  • Painted flower pots packaged with seeds and a little bag of potting soil
  • T-shirts using printer-able iron-ons
  • Vanilla sugar
  • Limoncello
  • Bitters
  • Jams/Jellies
  • Hot sauce made with peppers from our garden
  • Hot chocolate mix (Mexican style with some cayenne for the spice people in our lives, vanilla sugar style for the rest)
  • Themed food baskets (like Italian dinner, or Charcuterie)

I also make homemade chocolate truffles almost every year and hand out little gift bags of them.

This year, we're thinking about making everyone homemade spiced rum, and need to get on that soon if that's happening.

So let's share inspiration (and recipes and plans)! What have you made that people loved? What did you make that people hated? What were your spectacular successes/failures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Not my exact project since I didn't get any good photos before giving them, but I think some of my best received handmade gifts were these crochet miniature hanging plants, similar to this:

I too have had good luck with gifting homemade hot chocolate mix

I'm looking for inspo on what to make this year since I'm drawing a blank lol

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Killingyouguy! posted:

Not my exact project since I didn't get any good photos before giving them, but I think some of my best received handmade gifts were these crochet miniature hanging plants, similar to this:

I too have had good luck with gifting homemade hot chocolate mix

I'm looking for inspo on what to make this year since I'm drawing a blank lol
This is cute af

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is cute af
Yeah, that's super cool.