Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Welcome to Outer Wilds! This is a game I've attempted to play a couple of times in the past but never gotten far in despite it totally being a good fit with the kinds of games I enjoy. Having just finished up an LP of The Curse of the Golden Idol on Artix's youtube channel (Excellent game, go watch his videos on it!) , we were looking around for something similar that we could LP next. This LP is that game. I hope you'll come along and explore the vastness of space with us.

The Outer Wilds is a game about being an astronaut in a fledgling space program, just trying to help your planet's community map out the surrounding planets of your solar system, and solving some mysteries about the ancient advanced civilization that came millennia before you. Anything beyond that is entering spoiler territory so I'll just leave it at that for now.

Our intrepid space crew consists of myself, Artix, Poorlywritten, and our friend Tanz. All four of us really enjoy a good mystery game so hopefully we'll be able to put a few of our brain cells together by the end of this series and beat it! None of them have played this game and only some of them know the basic premise. Since I've barely played it either, it's safe to say that :siren:this is a blind LP.:siren: Please do not post spoilers about things we have yet to see or do! A huge part of any good mystery is the discovery and connecting the dots and none of us want those eureka moments taken away from us. If you have never played either and are following along, you may post your own thoughts and ideas about what's going on, but otherwise just sit back and enjoy the LP!

Episode 1: Wake up and smell the marshmallows
Episode 2: Dark side of the tiny moon
Episode 3: Space station at the end of the universe
Episode 4: My jetpack runs on beans
Episode 5: The Cave of Wonders
Episode 6: Error: Duplicate Signal
Episode 7: Calamitous cannon conclusions
Episode 8: Thalassophobia
Episode 9: I hope we have space insurance
Episode 10: Incredible feats of parking
Episode 11: 🌴 Relaxing Cyclonewave Beats 🌊 to Explore a Time Loop to ⏳
Episode 12: I'm so full of quantum knowledge now
Episode 13: Interloping
Episode 14: My prog rock band, "Anglerfish Experiment"
Episode 15: This is the way the universe ends
Episode 16: Thalassophobia, Part 2
Episode 17: The Hanging City and the Old Settlement
Episode 18: I hope I remembered to feed the meter
Episode 19: A warped understanding
Episode 20: Learning old knowledge
Episode 21: The Moon Landing
Episode 22: Expiration Date
Episode 23: Secrets of the Sun Station
Episode 24: Listening to Tanz
Episode 25: WE ARE DEAD
Episode 26: Dark Bramble's Red Light Dimension
Episode 27: The Vessel
Episode 28: Solanum
Episode 29: Orchestrating the end
Episode 30: Close your eyes and smell the cinders

FPzero fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm already aware that the audio balance is a little off for PW and Tanz but I couldn't really fix it due to using a single combined audio track for everything. I'll be adjusting our audio setup once we start next recording session, I just didn't feel like setting up voicemeeter again right as we were about to hit record.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'd love to post something on the ground floor and I'll do it as soon as I think of something to say that isn't somehow a spoiler

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm impressed you found four people who are almost completely blind on this. Most of the blind LPs are one person flailing alone and trying to figure out how much of a nudge to ask for is enough but not too much, while here you've got people to talk to and bounce things off of.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Outer Wilds whips and everyone should play it

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
Yay, more Outer Wilds!

The DLC is interesting in that it does integrate into the main game, but it's actually very unlikely for someone to find it without intentionally looking for it. And my recommendation is usually to play it right before beating the main game rather than after, but it's not really a big deal either way.

arteliad fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 13, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

arteliad posted:

Yay, more Outer Wilds!

The DLC is interesting in that it does integrate into the main game, but it's actually very unlikely for someone to find it without intentionally looking for it. And my recommendation is usually to play it right before beating the main game rather than after, but it's not really a big deal either way.

Yeah, the main reason I'd say "don't get it yet" as a newbie is just that if you *do* find the breadcrumbs leading that way you might not recognize that and get confused when trying to fit things together. On the other hand, from the outside the idea of that happening to someone sounds fascinating.

Also because if you finish this game and love it, the best thing that can happen is a chance to do some more.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
God I fuckin' love blind Outer Wilds LPs (not like there's really any other kind. Why? Why can't I wipe this game from my memory and start fresh again?)

Karanas fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 13, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I will never get tired of watching blind LPs of Outer Wilds. This has got to be at least my fifth. Such an excellent game that you can only really experience once.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

There are experiences that you can only ever have once, and it'll never be the same again afterwards. Outer Wilds is one of those, and it'd be one of my first choices to abuse a theoretical memory wiping machine for.

Upside is, you can still sort of experience it fresh again through the eyes of other people, so thank you for bringing us another opportunity.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Oh this should be fun!... and the perfect excuse to finally go play this game myself to avoid spoilers!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
People kept telling me that this was just a stripped-down Fallout in space, but I'm not seeing it.

:v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm always game for watching new people play the best game this century

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
Interesting to see a group of blind people play this game. Most times I've seen multiple people play this game it's a player who is blind and commentators who can nudge if need be.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FPzero posted:

Having just finished up an LP of The Curse of the Golden Idol on Artix's youtube channel (Excellent game, go watch his videos on it!)

This is a really awesome playthrough. I just binged it in a day. I loved how Artix started as the expert, until he was able to guess along with the others for the first DLC. And then for the second one the expert of the first DLC was able to enjoy it blindly.
Looking forward to the final videos there.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it so far. Having four people all more or less blind on it does make playing the game a lot more interesting but I'm sure we'll be fine in the long run. Plenty to see and do before we put all the pieces together after all.

Episode 2: Dark side of the tiny moon

That statue looked at us pretty weird...I'm sure it was nothing! Let's go blast off and explore the moon!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Perfect introduction to Brittle Hollow :allears:. Ending was great too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, the main reason I'd say "don't get it yet" as a newbie is just that if you *do* find the breadcrumbs leading that way you might not recognize that and get confused when trying to fit things together. On the other hand, from the outside the idea of that happening to someone sounds fascinating.

Also because if you finish this game and love it, the best thing that can happen is a chance to do some more.

I would honestly get it. Just fill your solar system with mystery.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hell of a way to end your first loop!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I love Brittle Hollow as an environment conceit, it's just the most comedically inhospitable planet. gently caress temperature, radiation or toxic hazards; here's a fragile shell with caves in it, wrapped around a loving black hole, that exists under constant natural artillery bombardment from the moon. Welcome to space, motherfuckers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

I love Brittle Hollow as an environment conceit, it's just the most comedically inhospitable planet. gently caress temperature, radiation or toxic hazards; here's a fragile shell with caves in it, wrapped around a loving black hole, that exists under constant natural artillery bombardment from the moon. Welcome to space, motherfuckers.

This game manages to have space-exploration-weird-planet gimmicks that feel right at home but surprisingly haven't been done before. Or if they have, I want to read that book/play that game because DUDE.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Brittle Hollow is Mario Galaxy as gently caress, a statement I suspect I will be saying more than a few times as the game goes on.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Artix posted:

Brittle Hollow is Mario Galaxy as gently caress, a statement I suspect I will be saying more than a few times as the game goes on.

The real Mario Galaxy moment is if you go too fast on Attlerock and accidently jump to Timber Hearth without a ship.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've never seen a more perfect introduction to Brittle Hollow

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Loving the "is it me or does the Sun looks different now?" comment towards the end there.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

FPzero posted:

I'm already aware that the audio balance is a little off for PW and Tanz but I couldn't really fix it due to using a single combined audio track for everything. I'll be adjusting our audio setup once we start next recording session, I just didn't feel like setting up voicemeeter again right as we were about to hit record.

How dare you ruin such a beautiful and melodic voice with poor audio balancing. I shake my fist at you!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I’ve never played this but I’ve heard spoilers about it, or The Outer Worlds and I’m mistaken, so I might as well watch it and find out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

White Coke posted:

I’ve never played this but I’ve heard spoilers about it, or The Outer Worlds and I’m mistaken, so I might as well watch it and find out.
Yeah, I figure if I watch an LP of at least one of the games I'll eventually reach the point where when someone mentions one of them I'll at least be able to say "It's (not) that one". :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If it's Fallout in space it's Outer Worlds.
If you fall out into space it's Outer Wilds.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ssh: you don't have to shove the marshmallow into the fire; you can hold it nearby and it'll slowly brown

unless you like them crispy of course

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 3: Space station at the end of the universe

The universe appears to be trapped in a time loop and the sun's going supernova. I guess we'd better do our best to figure out why these things are happening!

edit: Next episode will be up sometime next week, we didn't get to record this weekend because I was sick so I have nothing else ready to go yet.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 20, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

One fun thing about Outer Wilds LPs is that the loop timer makes for great episode breaks.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It was nice of the Nomai to provide a simple solution for minor work hazards like falling the entire radius of a planet and landing in a black hole.

As a minor quality of life thing I think if you pull out the signalscope while you're very close to an unidentified signal it'll label it?

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

I played this game for a bit few years ago and the whole gimmick was completely lost on me 'cause I kept dying pretty quickly lol. I never finished it cause I became fed up with the spaceship controls..nice to follow along now and see what I missed!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Qrr posted:

As a minor quality of life thing I think if you pull out the signalscope while you're very close to an unidentified signal it'll label it?

Yes, and it gets rid of the "unidentified signal nearby" text too.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

So, I noticed that flash at the start of the loop was different from the flash after reset at the end of the video.
As we are in the time loop, they should be the same.
Can we investigate what's doing that?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 4: My jetpack runs on beans

We're back and we're off to the Ember Twin today to see if we can find the High Energy Lab mentioned at the White Hole Station's logs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, I think you're the first blind playthrough of this I've seen to notice the signalscope has a zoom function and use it to look at things.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Congratulations on finding another door you can't go through!

I appreciate them as indicators that people actually lived these places, you have to take who knows what path to get there but they probably did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tenebrais posted:

You know, I think you're the first blind playthrough of this I've seen to notice the signalscope has a zoom function and use it to look at things.

Yeah it's really useful, and also really neat that it can be used to zoom in on stuff so far away with great clarity.

Update on next page >>>