Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
The macro-quantum state in the Nomai/Hearthian solar system has to account for multiple observers (otherwise the first rule of the moon would be 'make sure someone you're in contact with is watching it'), so presumably the quasi-religious nature of the Quantum Moon Pilgrimage means that the events within it are unique to the visitor, perhaps under a cultural tendency to silence?

So if every pilgrimage is unique, each visit would be its own unobserved state, which would allow for Solanum's 1/6th survival.

As far as her CONTINUED survival is concerned, that's explained in-game but spoilers at the moment.

Edit:

I will say it seems odd how quickly both the Sunless City and Hanging City Nomai both came up with the religious reaction to the Eye of the Universe, considering there's what, 3-4 generations of Nomai by the time the comet comes by?

Small solar system, small time period, long Nomai lifetimes perhaps?

Pidmon fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Pidmon posted:

The macro-quantum state in the Nomai/Hearthian solar system has to account for multiple observers (otherwise the first rule of the moon would be 'make sure someone you're in contact with is watching it'), so presumably the quasi-religious nature of the Quantum Moon Pilgrimage means that the events within it are unique to the visitor, perhaps under a cultural tendency to silence?

I'm pretty sure the quantum phenomena all require actual zero observers; the reason we can move the quantum moon around is because literally no Hearthian is looking at it at any point in the loop*, other than us. I think that's why the Nomai quantum pilgrimage is a solitary affair.

Solanum doesn't count, obviously; perhaps this is because she has become fully quantum herself, 100% "entangled"** with the moon.

*this doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering that Chert is stargazing for the entirety of the loop but whatever
**this game really abuses quantum physics terminology. nothing to do with actual entanglement.

Pidmon posted:

I will say it seems odd how quickly both the Sunless City and Hanging City Nomai both came up with the religious reaction to the Eye of the Universe, considering there's what, 3-4 generations of Nomai by the time the comet comes by?

Small solar system, small time period, long Nomai lifetimes perhaps?

They didn't really have separate cultures afaict. I think they were in contact with one another pretty quick, like within a generation at most, more likely within a few days/weeks. And they had the gravity cannons allowing them to physically visit one another eventually, too. The worship of the Eye probably grew over time, mostly happening after that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The game goes out of its way multiple times to specify the need for an outside observer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as Eye worship remember also that even though the refugees were out of contact for a while they had a shared background.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Just a little info for you, since you enjoyed the Case of the Golden Idol.
They're already planning a sequel for 2024.
I guess those games aren't that hard to build on a technical level so they can be made relatively fast. I hope the writing and puzzles remain stelar.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 10, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just a little info for you, since you enjoyed the Case of the Golden Idol.
They're already planning a sequel for 2024.
I guess those games aren't that hard to build on a technical level so they can be made relatively fast. I hope the writing and puzzles remain stelar.

We saw! We're all super excited for it and are definitely planning to play through it together upon release.
--------

Episode 29: Orchestrating the end

What awaits us at The Eye?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I dunno if I should boo you or applaud you for where you cut that video.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Cool LP. I hope to see you guys soon in another project!

VVV You mustn't drone out Anglerfish breathing with cool background music and really have to focus on it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 10, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The vibes of the flight with the warp core are so good. The music fits perfectly. It even mutes while you're in Dark Bramble trying to be quiet!

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Warp Core variant on the occasional music is so good. Hype for your reactions to the Eye!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

IIRC the title of the Warp Core's variant on the end of cycle music is called Final Voyage, and that's pretty fitting for the events surrounding it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

iirc the path you went away from would have led you straight towards the vessel lol

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Once again you should not have listened to Artix. Can't believe you did the button dirty like that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 30: Close your eyes and smell the cinders

Let us collapse these innumerable possibilities together.

----------
Thank you everyone for watching this LP! We had a great time making it and exploring the game's universe. I'm glad I finally gave it the chance it deserved after failing to stick with it a couple of times on my own.

I don't know when exactly we'll start the DLC but when we do I'll probably do it as a new thread entirely. In the meantime, I have at least one other project I'm gearing up to start soon.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A beautiful game. Thanks for the LP!

Is this the time to discuss the other bad endings you didn't encounter?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wonderful! Thank you all so much!

I sort of want to see them do a bonus (maybe one of them solo?) episode where they go back to the high energy lab and the core of ash twin to poke around and do a bit more, get a bit of extra info and do the "fun stuff" in those locations. Maybe try to do a manual landing on the sun station and try out the eject button.

I'd also suggest they look for the Dark Bramble easter egg, spend a couple more hours with the anglerfish, but that would just be cruel. And they probably haven't played Elsinor, so it wouldn't mean anything to them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

A beautiful game. Thanks for the LP!

Is this the time to discuss the other bad endings you didn't encounter?
maybe after the dlc?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for the LP! I loved this game. It really surprised me when the ending was "nope, you can't stop it" - it decoys you with the sun station and the interloper pretty well. It's a dark result, but that's not a bad thing.

There's definitely more to talk about beyond the DLC - people have mentioned other endings, for example. And Chert in particular is watching the stars and therefore gets, uh, stressed as the loop goes on.

The DLC takes place in a contained area, not places you've been. It's related to the plot of the game but also does its own thing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It was a lot of fun watching this blind playthrough and I am glad to hear that there are plans for the dlc some time in the future.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The real Outer Wilds was the friends we made along the way.

Cool LP of a cool game! Glad I checked it out.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The only real trick, such as it is, to the anglerfish, is that you can still use the ship to get past them, but you can't fire up the thrusters beyond the first of the four stages they can fire at without making too much noise. Also, the gravity is weird in Dark Bramble, you probably noticed that your velocity is reset every time you enter a new sphere, but also you're kind of always slowly falling forward so you can always move and turn.

Anyway.

There's this Bit I always come back to, get talking to me about games that awed me and the odds that I will get on this bullshit tend towards 1, also, others might bring it up because it's a good loving quote. It's from Andrei Tarkovski, and he said: "The allotted function of art is not, as is often assumed, to put across ideas, to propagate thoughts, to serve as an example. The aim of art is to prepare a person for death, to plough and harrow his soul, rendering it capable of turning to good." What a quote. drat. When I first heard it I was like. Okay, whatever. Sure, Andrei, very poetic, pretty on brand for you, maybe went a little overboard but you know, hey, you're not wrong, there is a powerful and extremely unique sensation that's characteristic to being awed at a work of art, it leaves you feeling overpowered, tired, at a loss for words, but also, like, cleansed somehow? There's a handful of times I've been made to feel like this. So I figured, gently caress it, it stands as a figure of speech. Fine. Ploughed and harrowed my soul. Then I finished Outer Wilds and now I understand; it's not a figure of speech. It's not a metaphor. It's not poetic. Tarkovski was being literal. The feeling these things leave you with is like setting something right, settling a grand affair, checking off a bucket list item you didn't know you had, like reckoning - in as much as reckoning is possible - with the universe. When my time comes - assuming, of course, that I see it coming - in among the family and friends I made along the way, I will remember Outer Wilds, and be less afraid.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

So you're right about that being your sun in the distance on your approach to the Eye. In fact, if you hang around long enough, you can watch it detonate. And as an aside, this is probably where most people end up getting the achievement to have all the Travelers on the signalscope at the same time, because having them all in one spot makes it super easy to just back up and whip the thing out. Kinda ruins the mood, though, if you ask me.

E: one more thing. Solanum does not appear in this scene if you don't solve the Quantum Moon puzzles and befriend her. The Quantum Moon is, strictly speaking, something you never have to interact with to reach the Eye, nor do you ever have to learn any of the quantum rules. This doesn't mean it's not important, because what Solanum teaches you is important for both giving you your ultimate goal and what to do once you've reached it.

...And really, it's this grand puzzle to be solved, and you didn't make it this far being incurious, did you?

Materant fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 14, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If that is how you feel about it, you might be interested in this long form vid.

I didn't think I could watch a vid talking almost two hours about the possible philosophy of Outer Wilds but I watched it all the way through.

Note it does contain spoilers, both of the minor things you missed in this playthrough, as well as bits of the DLC iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=689GvaHKD54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
If you don't ever visit the Interloper and find out the fate of the Nomai, the skeleton's note in the Quantum Museum instead says 'We don't know why the Nomai all suddenly disappeared, it is a mystery that will never be solved now. The same way Solanum doesn't make the final campfire if you never meet her.

Love the LP, and let us know if you want to know the stuff like the alternate bad-end that leads to the info about (my headcanon of) why Solanum was a semi-zombie.