Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 5: The Cave of Wonders

New plan: Rush A Ember Twin and get in those caves as fast as possible before the sand rises too high!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Finding the shortcut at the gravity cannon early is pretty nice. I went through the crash site caves so many times... Getting to the shuttle trajectory conversation the first time you're down there is pretty unusual too, I think.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Staltran posted:

Finding the shortcut at the gravity cannon early is pretty nice. I went through the crash site caves so many times... Getting to the shuttle trajectory conversation the first time you're down there is pretty unusual too, I think.

Some of it always depends on where people happen to be looking and what they're thinking about, but I appreciate that the gravity cannon is the topmost door so, like these guys did, players can get funneled that direction as the sand rises.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I wonder if that tower you guys were trying to climb on Brittle Hollow might only be accessible super early as well, before it starts getting pelted. One of the chunks of gravity wall had become dislodged when you guys were there the first time, it might still be affixed if you got there fast enough.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

An astute observation was made in this last video. The game would really rather have you go and explore elsewhere, instead of tediously banging your head against a problem that might require going through a whole loop for every attempt . Of course, it can't really force the player into an alternate course. I think it does decently well at giving hints about the other locations that might well make one curious to go in some other direction when stuck. But if a player is determined to focus on only one thing it a time, it would make for a more frustrating game.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yeah, one of the best things about Outer Wilds is the way that if a puzzle has you stumped you can just gently caress off to the other side of the solar system on your next run to find a completely different way to have space murder the poo poo out of you

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

It would be pretty cool to see the sun implode all the way from the farthest planet and see how long it takes for the shockwave to reach you

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 6: Error: Duplicate Signal

We are unsettled.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The really neat thing about Dark Bramble's space fuckery is that all the anglerfish could well be the same size as that little guy in the Timber Hearth museum. You've got no way to know.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dark Bramble is so cool.

Also good timing to finish up with Feldspar just in time to not have to worry about getting back out again!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Hwurmp posted:

The really neat thing about Dark Bramble's space fuckery is that all the anglerfish could well be the same size as that little guy in the Timber Hearth museum. You've got no way to know.

:aaaaa:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It could even be the same one inside the museum! :screamy:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

Hwurmp posted:

Well, there is the skeleton in the Ember (or was it Ash?) Twin cave.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ember Twin. But theoretically that anglerfish could be from a different species that the present day anglerfish descend from. But that would also require that you shrink when entering Dark Bramble, but the anglerfish stay the same size when leaving it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 7: Calamitous cannon conclusions

Once again we get distracted but I think we're making progress???

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It's an interesting experience watching you repeatedly put in the projection stone, notice that it starts doing something, and immediately run away. Gotta watch out for those ancient Nomai proximity mines I guess.

I do really love that the probe launch is the first thing you see in the entire game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's kind of funny that you so naturally figure out the signalscope zoom, and using the Scout camera without launching it - things most players miss for ages - but struggle so hard to figure out the projection stones!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

First time watching this playthrough I felt actually angry. Keep up the good work.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
"I can't tell if it's an x-axis or y-axis or z-axis or whatever"—wrong coordinate system, none of those would be in degrees.

And any loop where you got new information is one where you made progress.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think I was assuming that it was trying to do or form something, so I was stepping back to let it do the thing only to have it stop working, which then made me draw the conclusion that it wasn't working or that I had the wrong configuration. If it makes anyone feel better, I think we figure it out in the next episode by exploring another area, though we don't return to this location yet. (It's on our to-do list) :shobon:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You are not the first to make this mistake

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That was deeply upsetting to watch (but that is part of the beauty of blind runs)

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
The absolute worst part is when PW said "can you try staying" and everyone collectively either didn't notice or immediately forgot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Oh we're professional Outer Wilds watchers. We've seen it all, we can handle it"

FPzero: "Challenge Accepted."

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I feel your one loop per episode paradigm might be making you a little to cautious about stuff that logically has a decent chance of killing you

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
Here's something that occurred to me, don't the Zonai also have three eyes?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bruceski posted:

"Oh we're professional Outer Wilds watchers. We've seen it all, we can handle it"

FPzero: "Challenge Accepted."
I'm just as blind as the cohosts, when I wasn't confusing it with the other Outer game I think I was aware that there was a time loop involved before I watched the first video. They can be stupid all they want, I'm probably being dumber. :v:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Brutal Garcon posted:

I feel your one loop per episode paradigm might be making you a little to cautious about stuff that logically has a decent chance of killing you

That'll get broken soon enough, I'm sure. Being functionally immortal is a great way to get people to throw caution to the wind and do things they normally wouldn't do otherwise, even in a video game.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

That was deeply upsetting to watch (but that is part of the beauty of blind runs)

The projection stone has been mentioned, but how about that unidentified signal they didn't feel like identifying?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
OW is such an amazing game I genuinely wish I could erase it from my memory just so I can play it again for the first time. It's just incredible. :allears:

Watching someone else play it blind is the next best thing so thank you for doing it. :D

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

FPzero posted:

I think I was assuming that it was trying to do or form something, so I was stepping back to let it do the thing only to have it stop working, which then made me draw the conclusion that it wasn't working or that I had the wrong configuration. If it makes anyone feel better, I think we figure it out in the next episode by exploring another area, though we don't return to this location yet. (It's on our to-do list) :shobon:

I was so glad to see you figured that out.

Also you happened to use the best "What the ever loving gently caress" projection stone when you did finally see what those do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if the ship only has one hole, it's a cloaca

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 8: Thalassophobia

We've been out and about exploring far and wide, but we haven't really just flown around home. Let's change that.

-----
Also the above couple of posts are comments on this update even before I posted it here. That's because I actually have all my recent videos scheduled to go public at noon EST, and then I just post the thread updates whenever I'm available to do so.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hwurmp posted:

if the ship only has one hole, it's a cloaca

That ship has a bunch of holes, though. Maybe it was intended to be a cloaca.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a bunch of cloacas

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

note that despite the Nomai's attempts to leave some metal ore on Timber Hearth, the Hearthians still have to make all their spaceships out of wood

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

note that despite the Nomai's attempts to leave some metal ore on Timber Hearth, the Hearthians still have to make all their spaceships out of wood
personally I think they just like the aesthetic

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They do mine the stuff, as shown by the zero-g training space.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

personally I think they just like the aesthetic

I think it's less "like" and more "the Hearthians are absolute risk-crazy maniacs who think nothing of hurling themselves into space in a barely-functioning deathtrap that even a Kerbal would run screaming from"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Whybird posted:

I think it's less "like" and more "the Hearthians are absolute risk-crazy maniacs who think nothing of hurling themselves into space in a barely-functioning deathtrap that even a Kerbal would run screaming from"

I mean if your spaceships crash a lot, it just makes sense to make them from a renewable resource, and trees are gonna be renewable until the sun ex...