Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Timber Hearth's trees are clearly very hardy too, since all the hearthian travellers we've seen so far have managed to grow some at their camps on alien worlds. Pretty useful to build your ships out materials that you can grow wherever you crashed.

(Riebeck's camp trees might be native to Brittle Hollow? Wesker and Feldspar were definitely growing Hearthian trees though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FPzero posted:

Episode 8: Thalassophobia

We've been out and about exploring far and wide, but we haven't really just flown around home. Let's change that.

-----
Also the above couple of posts are comments on this update even before I posted it here. That's because I actually have all my recent videos scheduled to go public at noon EST, and then I just post the thread updates whenever I'm available to do so.

The larger button icons mentioned very early in the video were due to the latest update released on 9/26. Also, this easter egg was added at the same time, located at the Attlerock camp (for players who pay attention to the update notes).

You may want to try them out sometime.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hmm, I could have sworn there was something in the op about not talking about things the players have not seen or done...

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Hmm, I could have sworn there was something in the op about not talking about things the players have not seen or done...

I'm only mentioning it because 1. It's literally a joke easter egg that has absolutely no bearing on plot/puzzles/mystery/etc, and 2. It was added to the game after they started the LP to an area they had already explored so they weren't going to go back and stumble across it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In this case I'm fine with it. I did see the easter egg was mentioned in the patch notes but I would've probably never run across it and realized that it was a new addition.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I love this game, posted a comment on the youtube video before hearing you mention the thread in the latest one.

Glad you figured out the projection stone in this latest episode - the way the word-walls when you use the stones' pillars spin and face each other before connecting, but the depression in the floor's pillars only spins to face each other if you stay in the activation radius was a nice touch.

I think the stones are thematically linked to the "hologram" in the Control Module, as both seem to be made from manipulating liquid bronze.

I'm very excited to see what things you guys figure out ex nihilo, some of the things I discovered when playing (some that even got patched in later!) were amazing to do as a theoretical idea before discovering them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 9: I hope we have space insurance

Look, it was an accident!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxoJW34f-I

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You should be proud of figuring out the tower of quantum knowledge so quickly, most people struggle a lot with that one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

You should be proud of figuring out the tower of quantum knowledge so quickly, most people struggle a lot with that one.

I was standing on it when a rock hit, dove to safety and then saw where my ship had ended up. Got to sit out the rest of the loop with that bit of info.

That's the great bit of watching others play through the game, you get different pieces of info at different times and that frames how you approach everything else.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Love the oil-slick look that the quantum shards have, good job on getting this info today!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i'm watching blind so i got to have the "oh hell yes" moment of realization at the same time as y'all, and that was a fun moment to pseudo-share :yayclod:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

FPzero posted:

I think I was assuming that it was trying to do or form something, so I was stepping back to let it do the thing only to have it stop working, which then made me draw the conclusion that it wasn't working or that I had the wrong configuration. If it makes anyone feel better, I think we figure it out in the next episode by exploring another area, though we don't return to this location yet. (It's on our to-do list) :shobon:

You figured the projection stones out once, and got right back to walking away from the projection while it's loading up by episode 10. Stand next to the central pillars after you put the stone in, I promise you it won't harm you.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nth Doctor posted:

You figured the projection stones out once, and got right back to walking away from the projection while it's loading up by episode 10. Stand next to the central pillars after you put the stone in, I promise you it won't harm you.

It does seem like Outer Wilds is not an ideal game to play in sessions that are weeks apart. Oh well, they'll get used to it eventually.

That was a very impressive ship parking job. You must have really wedged it in there.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Also impressive the stairs managed to support the ship's weight, despite breaking if you fall on them with any meaningful speed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Enjoying this LP but also eagerly awaiting the final Jiggies of Time episode :colbert:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

C-Euro posted:

Enjoying this LP but also eagerly awaiting the final Jiggies of Time episode :colbert:

I asked him about it weeks ago!!!!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Continually saying you need to go to Giant's Deep and never going there is a good bit, keep it up

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't believe I forgot about Dre Jiggies of Time! Soon, I promise.

-----
Episode 10: Incredible feats of parking

I'm getting real good at landings. Too bad I'm not so good at exiting my ship safely.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Figuring out the the shuttle controls was my favourite part of playing around back in the day, I'm excited to see if you come to the same conclusions I did as to the controls.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Staltran posted:

Also impressive the stairs managed to support the ship's weight, despite breaking if you fall on them with any meaningful speed.

That's because all the weight is on that ledge, the stairs are just keeping it from toppling over. Any force on the stairs would be sideways pushing into the opposite wall.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Outer Wilds #11 - 🌴 Relaxing Cyclonewave Beats 🌊 to Explore a Time Loop to ⏳

Thanks for checking out our mix.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gabbro is a fun character. Of course the only other person who knows about the time loops is exactly the sort of person who'd spend their time sitting in one place at their camp playing their instrument anyway.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yet another perfect introduction to a planet, nearly getting smashed out of the air by flying islands twice

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Given the reluctance to swim it's a shame you already used thalassaphobia as a video title.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Not saying what it is but you have made an incorrect inference you all seem very confident in.

(Is there really no way to revert the icons? That seems like a weird change to make, years after the game released)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Gabbro is a Gab-bro (despite all the Hearthians being nonbinary).

So, fun fact, the orbital probe cannon is, like it said in the control room, actually random. So much so that there's a small chance that it fires... at Timber Hearth. I've had a video on my 'watch later' list on youtube for years of someone's footage of it firing at - and destroying - the player's ship at the start of a loop. Dunno if it could splatter the Hatchling at the start of a loop or not.

Love how Gabbro always toots on the flute in freefall.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Pidmon posted:

Gabbro is a Gab-bro (despite all the Hearthians being nonbinary).

So, fun fact, the orbital probe cannon is, like it said in the control room, actually random. So much so that there's a small chance that it fires... at Timber Hearth. I've had a video on my 'watch later' list on youtube for years of someone's footage of it firing at - and destroying - the player's ship at the start of a loop. Dunno if it could splatter the Hatchling at the start of a loop or not.

Love how Gabbro always toots on the flute in freefall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9L1_jLxzqM

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Brutal Garcon posted:

Not saying what it is but you have made an incorrect inference you all seem very confident in.

(Is there really no way to revert the icons? That seems like a weird change to make, years after the game released)

I count at least 5 incorrect inferences they're confident in just in this video, they do that all the time.

There's a UI scale option added in the menu. They just haven't messed with it.

Pidmon posted:

Dunno if it could splatter the Hatchling at the start of a loop or not.

It can't do anything to the player directly, but the ship explodes if it's hit, and the player can die to that.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 16, 2023

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Brutal Garcon posted:

I think I know the one you mean. Such a shame that checking the map would show the frozen jellyfish Feldspar tasted was in Dark Bramble

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Don't worry too much about wrong inferences we may or may not have made. There's just as good a chance that we'll figure it out along the way, plus that's half the fun. Make a theory, test a theory, see if you were right or wrong.

-----
Episode 12: I'm so full of quantum knowledge now

We're learning game mechanics!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think most folks have that same experience with the tower, scrambling to figure out the last puzzle while the music plays. You figured out the other pieces a lot faster than I did though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm watching this lp mostly blind and it's funny how, when you see that game mechanic you immediately think "of course it works like that that makes perfect sense" but you don't consider it as an option at all before finding the explanation.
At least I didn't.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm watching this lp mostly blind and it's funny how, when you see that game mechanic you immediately think "of course it works like that that makes perfect sense" but you don't consider it as an option at all before finding the explanation.
At least I didn't.

This is where a large amount of the joy I got from this game came from.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

At least I didn't.

That's the fun part of unlocking this game. You're not deciphering an alien language, finding weird gibberish to type in as a replacement lock/key system, it's discovering the logic of the universe in ways that feel intuitive once you learn them, so you (usually) remember them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 13: Interloping

That's a great parabolic arc, real good trickshot.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
The autopilot breaking was a bug I encountered a few times in my recent playthrough; you can fix it by reassigning the button in the options. Even if you don't actually change which button you do it with.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks I'll definitely address that before we record this weekend!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Epicmissingno posted:

The autopilot breaking was a bug I encountered a few times in my recent playthrough; you can fix it by reassigning the button in the options. Even if you don't actually change which button you do it with.

This happens to streamers a lot.

I've been able to fix it by clicking with my mouse. If the first click doesn't work, try alt tabbing out, clicking, alt tabbing back in, and clicking again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, I had no idea the lava level on Hollow's Lantern goes down. It makes sense, I just never went there late enough in the loop to see that.

Rock on, lava nomai.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 20, 2023