Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Karanas posted:

I want to explain, but there's probably some minor spoilers involved.

Likewise. If nobody else does, I'll explain that stuff at the end of the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Great stuff today, lots found out! Excited to see if you try things you mention as a joke - why not, you're in an infinite time loop anyway?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

Pidmon posted:

why not, you're in an infinite time loop anyway?

Caution is for Hearthians who aren't stuck in an infinite time loop. Have fun with it! :black101:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
More like FUN Station IMO

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nice job crossing the sun station gap first try. Most people get disoriented by the sun's proximity and the gravity floor and forget they're in orbit, so they try to jump the gap rather than spacewalk it. Lots of people fall into the sun the first time.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Now that you've gotten to the sun station the intended way, clearly it's time to go for the achievement for doing it the alternate way: just flying there directly.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I feel like it's worth pointing out, because you're now at the point where you need a few time-sensitive tasks - and the game gets annoying otherwise -

if you talk to Gabbro a few times they unlock a menu option to skip to the end of the current cycle. I don't think you'll ever talk to them again unless someone points you towards them.

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 22, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 24: Listening to Tanz

Stupid, sexy-voice Tanz... They're right about everything!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

FPzero posted:

Episode 24: Listening to Tanz

Stupid, sexy-voice Tanz... They're right about everything!

Holy sh*t that sounds bad. Get well soon Tanz!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Karanas posted:

I want to explain, but there's probably some minor spoilers involved.

I mean they have all the information necessary to disprove that without any spoilers.

I'm tagging this anyway just in case, but everything behind the black bar is information that has already been found in the videos. The probe cannon was rigged to fire the probe with so much power that it would explode on the first try, so the counter can't be including pre-timeloop shots.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

...Five towers? That doesn't feel quite right, does it?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Depends on if you count the north and south poles as 'towers' or not, but it IS pentagonal from the side.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Materant posted:

...Five towers? That doesn't feel quite right, does it?

One of the towers has 2 warp platforms (the one that they got sucked out of by the sand and the one that sent them to Ember Twin), I thought. Still not sure if the second one does anything since they got pulled out while waiting and I dont think went back.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'd say they're two separate towers next to each other. Could maybe argue they're the same building.

DerLetzenTanz
Mar 4, 2019
Apologies to all for making you have to listen to how awful I sounded during this session....Some people can pull off sounding good while they're hoarse and raspy. Not Tanz.
(I am doing better though, thanks all! <3 And while I was sick I racked up a truly impressive amount of hours in BG3, so it all worked out for the best)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DerLetzenTanz posted:

Apologies to all for making you have to listen to how awful I sounded during this session....Some people can pull off sounding good while they're hoarse and raspy. Not Tanz.
(I am doing better though, thanks all! <3 And while I was sick I racked up a truly impressive amount of hours in BG3, so it all worked out for the best)

The fact that something was off was obvious but it didn't detract anything from your contributions and I am glad that you are feeling better.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

DerLetzenTanz posted:

Even when you're sick, I'm pretty sure you've got about 4/5ths custody of the group's brain cells at any given time. Hope you get well soon!

FP don't look at this but I am screaming over how you'll try an experiment exactly once, fail, and then conclude there's no reason to ever try again. :byodood: Aaaaagh!

PS: not a guy. :3:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 25: WE ARE DEAD

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Congratulations, you finally unlocked an ending!

Fun fact, if you played around with the geysers in your home village before ever activating the memory statue, you could have gotten this ending in your first loop :D

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Congratulations on escaping the loop! How did you like the game?

IMO It's frankly a miracle the Nomai were destroyed by happenstance instead of by themselves

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:sickos:

Thanks for a great LP, all!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Congratulations on escaping the loop! How did you like the game?

IMO It's frankly a miracle the Nomai were destroyed by happenstance instead of by themselves

I wouldn't rule out that the interloper was something which was deliberately sent their way for messing around with time.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Pidmon posted:

Congratulations, you finally unlocked an ending!

Fun fact, if you played around with the geysers in your home village before ever activating the memory statue, you could have gotten this ending in your first loop :D

Or if you played with the ghost matter. If you die at any point before you pair with the Nomai memory statue, you're excluded from the time loop and you're just straight hosed forever, or at least until Gabbro finally gets fed up with burning to a crisp every 22 minutes.

There is also another bad ending that you could have caused this video and will probably never cause now, but that's an exercise for you to think about.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The comic timing at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=448FOBKZMHU&t=1833s is perfect.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Alumnus Post posted:

Even when you're sick, I'm pretty sure you've got about 4/5ths custody of the group's brain cells at any given time. Hope you get well soon!

FP don't look at this but I am screaming over how you'll try an experiment exactly once, fail, and then conclude there's no reason to ever try again. :byodood: Aaaaagh!

PS: not a guy. :3:

I don't understand what you're frustrated about in the spoiler...you're talking about the most recent video right? Did you miss them actually trying again? I went through the whole first half of the video expecting them not to redirect the energy.

Materant posted:

There is also another bad ending that you could have caused this video and will probably never cause now, but that's an exercise for you to think about.

FP: I have a suggestion relating to this...after you're done with the main LP, can we suggest "fun things to try" for a bonus video or something (without revealing what those things actually do)?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

"It was at that point, staring up at the expanding event horizon of his own sun's supernova, holding the warp core for the Ash Twin Project in his hands, that the Hatchling realized, he had hosed up."

whitehelm posted:

I don't understand what you're frustrated about in the spoiler...you're talking about the most recent video right? Did you miss them actually trying again? I went through the whole first half of the video expecting them not to redirect the energy.

FP: I have a suggestion relating to this...after you're done with the main LP, can we suggest "fun things to try" for a bonus video or something (without revealing what those things actually do)?
I kinda want to see what happens if you ride out the supernova in the core of Ash Twin. It's supposed to be supernova-proof, right? The answer's probably still "start the loop over", because even if there's still a living dude in the core of the Ash Twin he'll die in relatively short order from some form of deprivation (everything in the solar system aside from the Ash Twin Project has been destroyed by a supernova, including presumably the warps out of the core) and his memories get sent back at the moment of the supernova anyways.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Commander Keene posted:

I kinda want to see what happens if you ride out the supernova in the core of Ash Twin. It's supposed to be supernova-proof, right? The answer's probably still "start the loop over", because even if there's still a living dude in the core of the Ash Twin he'll die in relatively short order from some form of deprivation (everything in the solar system aside from the Ash Twin Project has been destroyed by a supernova, including presumably the warps out of the core) and his memories get sent back at the moment of the supernova anyways.

Sure, it's supernova-proof... but from what we've read, it sounds like it was only supposed to be that way for just long enough to execute its function. I don't think many terrestrial materials (indeed, many materials at all) would be able to withstand a supernova for very long.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If it's completely supernova proof i guess that means Timber Hearth is fine? Shame about them Hearthians that live on it.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Commander Keene posted:

"It was at that point, staring up at the expanding event horizon of his own sun's supernova, holding the warp core for the Ash Twin Project in his hands, that the Hatchling realized, he had hosed up."

One neat thing about the game is that to add to the 'alienness' of things... all the Hearthians are explicitly nonbinary (every pronoun referring to them is they/them)... and to contrast, the Nomai all use exclusively binary gender terms.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I love when the pieces come together. There were some good info cascades in this one.

legioN7
Jul 13, 2016
[Spoilers removed]

FPzero posted:

Since I've barely played it either, it's safe to say that :siren:this is a blind LP.:siren: Please do not post spoilers about things we have yet to see or do! A huge part of any good mystery is the discovery and connecting the dots and none of us want those eureka moments taken away from us. If you have never played either and are following along, you may post your own thoughts and ideas about what's going on, but otherwise just sit back and enjoy the LP!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 26, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pidmon posted:

One neat thing about the game is that to add to the 'alienness' of things... all the Hearthians are explicitly nonbinary (every pronoun referring to them is they/them)... and to contrast, the Nomai all use exclusively binary gender terms.
Right, I forgot about that.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Even if it holds up, it'll probably result in the same thing that happens when you ride it out while on the quantum moon at its 6th location?

I think what happened there is the hatchling might be fine over there, but the memory statue on Timber Hearth got destroyed by the supernova, so the Ash Twin system detected equipment failure and sent the data back.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The way I understand it, the core isn't really supernova proof. It's just built so won't instantly evaporate before it has a chance to use the collected energy.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Geemer posted:

Even if it holds up, it'll probably result in the same thing that happens when you ride it out while on the quantum moon at its 6th location?

I think what happened there is the hatchling might be fine over there, but the memory statue on Timber Hearth got destroyed by the supernova, so the Ash Twin system detected equipment failure and sent the data back.

It's worth checking out in any case, I don't recall if we saw a non-death yet such as the 'riding it out' idea.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It was shown in the LP, when they visited the Eye and tried talking to the one living Nomai who was there.

Notably, there's a different effect on the screen where a pattern suggestive of the Nomai's designs overtakes it. It does seem to indicate a 'rewind' being activated by the statue/Ash Twin Project that the supernova is triggering. It would likely happen whenever the supernova occurs, regardless of whether the paired consciousness is alive or dead. (In fact, it would presumably be the case every time the Hatchling dies, but there simply is no recording of it). It could still be interesting to narrow down precisely when it happens on those cycles when you outlive the solar system.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Look, there's a very good reason everyone is saying "listen to Tanz" and nobody is saying "listen to Artix".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Are you saying I don't have incredible ideas? I don't know what would give you that impression. :colbert:

I'm not good at solving puzzles, I'm good at kicking them in the rear end and making them focus on a single task.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I genuinely wonder what would have happened if they had stayed in the planet after removing the core instead of going outside. They wouldn't have died, maybe, since it's protected - but assuming the weird glyph things are the memories being sent back and time rewinding, deactivating the project would have prevented that as well.

I got the dead ending before (managed to die in the tutorial the first time I played) but never tried that.

Also, do you all plan on adding the DLC as well, eventually, or just base game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Kangra posted:

It was shown in the LP, when they visited the Eye and tried talking to the one living Nomai who was there.

Notably, there's a different effect on the screen where a pattern suggestive of the Nomai's designs overtakes it. It does seem to indicate a 'rewind' being activated by the statue/Ash Twin Project that the supernova is triggering. It would likely happen whenever the supernova occurs, regardless of whether the paired consciousness is alive or dead. (In fact, it would presumably be the case every time the Hatchling dies, but there simply is no recording of it). It could still be interesting to narrow down precisely when it happens on those cycles when you outlive the solar system.

Right, right, I just didn't want to spoil anything by saying 'your vision gets overtaken by bismuth lines' without confirming we actually saw it. Might be fun to see what happens to the statues' masks in the Ash Twin Project on their end when the nova goes off.

By the way, one of the masks isn't on the actual plinth-receiver-thing if I remember right, so you get to see the underlaying mechanism. I've thought it's paired to the 'example' statue in the workshop on Giant's Deep, the one that has the audio recorder dealie under it.