Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Can someone... explain the "scout launcher as solution to the anglerfish" mentality to me? This feels like the last streamer I watched and his "They're blind, that means we need to turn off the headlights!" and growing frustration that he kept getting eaten despite turning them off all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Can someone... explain the "scout launcher as solution to the anglerfish" mentality to me? This feels like the last streamer I watched and his "They're blind, that means we need to turn off the headlights!" and growing frustration that he kept getting eaten despite turning them off all over again.

Their idea is using the scout as a distraction, sending the anglerfish chasing something else, rather than just being quiet and hoping not to wake them up.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Tenebrais posted:

Their idea is using the scout as a distraction, sending the anglerfish chasing something else, rather than just being quiet and hoping not to wake them up.

And to be fair, the scout does make a noise as it travels so I'm not sure why it doesn't attract Anglerfish. Not loud enough I guess?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Syka posted:

And to be fair, the scout does make a noise as it travels so I'm not sure why it doesn't attract Anglerfish. Not loud enough I guess?

As far as I can tell the only noise the scout makes isn't even from the scout, it's from the cannon that's launching it. Which is mounted on the ship. So the fish will hear it and go after said ship.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm a couple of eps behind and oh my God poor Tanz, you sound like poo poo bud. Hope it's cleared up by now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 26: Dark Bramble's Red Light Dimension

We're finally going to figure out the red light in Dark Bramble or die (again) trying!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

at one point they read something along the lines of "throw a lamp into the anglerfish's mouth"

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Colour me surprised, it used to be that deaths didn't get you keeping things in the ship log from that loop.

Must have been a behind the scenes quality of life update for the people going for the Archeologist achievement.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fedule posted:

Look, there's a very good reason everyone is saying "listen to Tanz" and nobody is saying "listen to Artix".

End of the latest episode. :colbert:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Epicmissingno posted:

As far as I can tell the only noise the scout makes isn't even from the scout, it's from the cannon that's launching it. Which is mounted on the ship. So the fish will hear it and go after said ship.

The scout does make its own noise that you can hear at 16:40 in the video, it's just not affecting the fish.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 1, 2023

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I'm a couple of eps behind and oh my God poor Tanz, you sound like poo poo bud. Hope it's cleared up by now.

Tanz is all recovered from the sickness, don't you worry. I made sure of that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 27: The Vessel

Well, I think we know how to find the Eye now.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I uh, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that given the factors involved in what you discovered, warping to the Eye is going to be a one-way trip, and potentially even a suicide run. Leave no regrets.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FPzero posted:

Episode 27: The Vessel

Well, I think we know how to find the Eye now.

I have been waiting 23 episodes for you to discover what your jetpack does so I could say this:

It really DOES run on beans!

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
It's hard to find but there's actually a basement in the Vessel's one room that has a bit more lore.

Edit: Hey, congrats, you found it!

Pidmon fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 2, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I gotta be honest, I forgot that finding the Eye is supposed(?) to be our main objective of the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I gotta be honest, I forgot that finding the Eye is supposed(?) to be our main objective of the game.

Finding an objective is the main objective of the game.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So have they figured out yet [thing that's never stated explicitly, but you can infer from the paired projection stones] that blue nomai messages are local, and orange ones were sent from somewhere else?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Brutal Garcon posted:

So have they figured out yet [thing that's never stated explicitly, but you can infer from the paired projection stones] that blue nomai messages are local, and orange ones were sent from somewhere else?

They literally mentioned this during the newest video.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Brutal Garcon posted:

i played this game twice and did not realize

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
So Nomai start out with the childish style of writing with loose scribbles, that become tighter with experience and age in their spirals, with 'local' messages being blue and ones at range being orange?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pidmon posted:

So Nomai start out with the childish style of writing with loose scribbles, that become tighter with experience and age in their spirals, with 'local' messages being blue and ones at range being orange?
Not quite.
Usually they write in blue. But those chatlogs from the communication arrays have a slight quirk where they put the incoming messages in orange in order to make it a bit more easy to parse.
So if you take the same conversation log at both locations, blue and orange would be flipped between them.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I think you both said the same thing there, so yes.

Pidmon posted:

[...]ones at range being orange?
I take this to mean

cant cook creole bream posted:

[...]incoming messages in orange[...]
I felt like I only subconsciously noticed the color meaning up until I got here. The Vessel was the first time it came to the forefront, and I became sure of the colors.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Since you mentioned it in the video, I would strongly encourage installing the DLC now if you plan on doing it at all, it works better (imo) prior to beating the game than it does playing it afterwards. But it is basically its own entire game's worth of content, so if you're hoping for things to end soon then don't, hah, you'll be adding a lot of gametime with it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We will address this at the start of the next video but short version: lmao absolutely not

E: Less glibly, we want a break between the main game and doing the DLC, but just from a pacing perspective I cannot think of anything that would be more damaging than loving off right now to go do something else tangentially related for the next 12 hours before finally coming back to the story 's conclusion. Imagine if, upon climbing up Mt. Doom in Return of the King, it suddenly smash cut to the first Hobbit movie and you watched it in its entirety before coming back to Frodo.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 4, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, if you're an "I only beat a game once" kind of guy then now's the time but the DLC works well as a revisit.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, this is just sort of the last point where I'd recommend installing it if you're only playing once, but it would kill a lot of the momentum, you're right.

If you don't mind coming back and redoing stuff then having a break for a while and revisiting is probably better - though I'm actually kind of surprised you plan on doing it at all.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 4, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Like Artix said, we're not going to do the DLC right now. For I've, I don't feel like trying to coordinate four schedules across the Christmas holidays and new year, second I'd like to do something else for a while and finishing the game is right there, thirdly having heard various steam reviews it sounds like it's not only long, but puzzle heavy and a lot further in the horror space. It sounds interesting, but also a lot different tonally than the semi-carefree attitude we've been approaching the LP with so far.

For those reasons, we'll be wrapping up the LP for now soon. We recorded the ending of the game last night in fact. The videos from last night's session will start going up over the next few days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I would say it's not exactly horror, but getting into Giant's Deep and the Anglerfish really freaked some people out so they went hard on warnings to compensate, but in this sort of game all you can say is "some things may be scary".

There's a spooky area that can feed into some common anxieties, but it's not suddenly a horror genre. And they wanted players to know that's there and there's a setting to dial it back a little.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If you do play the DLC I strongly encourage toggling that setting on, since it's a stream and it's practically more of a "reduce frustration" toggle than anything else. It should have just been enabled by default.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GlyphGryph posted:

If you do play the DLC I strongly encourage toggling that setting on, since it's a stream and it's practically more of a "reduce frustration" toggle than anything else. It should have just been enabled by default.

I would on the other hand not recommend turning on the easy mode before you even know whether or not you like the gameplay, and it absolutely should not be on by default.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Episode 28: Solanum

One last trip to the moon to correct a mistake.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think Riebeck is interested to learn that you met Solanum - they're the one that is in space to study the nomai.

The way the quantum moon is set up, three of the locations have a barrier around the equator, and two of them have one blocking just the north pole. So to get from the south to the north you need to swap locations at least once but it it's still simple enough if you don't understand the layout and just know the three rules. It's quite well done.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I get not doing the DLC right as you're about to complete the game, but I'm sad to hear you're also not going to be doing it any time soon. The area it takes place in is awesome.

Solanum, as you noticed, doesn't give you information that's necessary to complete the game. But she provides helpful context on some things, and her existence is fascinating.

While I don't think the people back on Timber Hearth get responses to your incredible adventures, the various other astronaut/musicians do have conversation options where you can ask them about things you've learned. And the one on Ember Twin is studying stars, which is a very disturbing thing to be looking into given how the loop progresses.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 6, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
[George Takei voice] No-mai

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You guys never actually visited the lakebed cave, right? Maybe I missed it, but I think you didn't. Not that you need to now or anything, you've got the info, I just remember that being one of my favorite bits of the game. Wouldn't have much impact to visit now though.

edit: Hah, I just got to the point in the video where you point it out

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 6, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
In case it wasn't obvious, Solanum was on the quantum moon when the ghost matter hit the star system. That stuff engulfed anything in a sperical radius of several kilometers. Now the version of the quantum moon near the eye is quite far away from the sun, while all others are well within range of the deathzone
So she has a 5 in 6 chance to be dead. Also, I guess since nobody is around to perceive her living version, time didn't really pass for her.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, I guess since nobody is around to perceive her living version, time didn't really pass for her.

It can't just be about conscious observation 'cause clearly Solanum is observing herself.

There must be some kind of time fuckery specifically at the Eye and perhaps also the quantum moon in general. Which maybe makes some kind of sense considering that the Eye is supposed to be older than the universe itself (according to the Nomai anyway). It's not entirely clear to me how that time fuckery would work for Solanum's existence to make sense, but whatever

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Solanum is a 5/6th zombie girlfriend.

Do you think the game was designed around 6 quantum moon locations due to the whole "moon is 1/6th gravity of Earth" factoid?

Edit: I think the only reason Solanum's shuttle stays on the quantum moon was that it had several thousand years to marinate on the Quantum Moon and become quantum itself - we know from Gabbro's poem and the Giant's Deep tower that something being left by a quantum shard is enough to make it quantum, eventually.

Basically I think that our ship would EVENTUALLY become quantum if we stayed on the same reflection of it but that's beyond the 22 minute loop and/or the game's programming.

Pidmon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I don't think that there's really meant to be an answer within our capacity to reach that explains how Solanum is still alive on the Eye's version of the Quantum Moon. She just is.

Maybe, if she were given enough time to think about it, or if the other Nomai were still around to ruminate on it, we'd be able to answer that question before the answer was just beyond everyone. But that chance is long, long gone, gone before we ever had a chance to think on it ourselves.

Materant fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 7, 2023