Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

roomtone posted:

gas planets don't count

How can gas planets be real? Like just close your eyes and don't breath, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

How can gas planets be real? Like just close your eyes and don't breath, haha.

Gas planets under heavy covers

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

redshirt posted:

The Sombrero Galaxy

híjole!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Enceladus

The blue areas to the south are a partially open global geyser system.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lots of cool photos in here. The space ones are the best, but I have a special fondness for landscapes and Mars in particular.

2.5-billion-pixel image is the most detailed view ever of Mars landscape

They're somehow both super cool because they're from a completely different world, but also funny because they look a lot like the empty non-scenery you might see at a rest stop in the middle of Nevada.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a shot from Titan

I think the scale is a couple of inches.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

redshirt posted:

Here's a shot from Titan

I think the scale is a couple of inches.

Titan and Venus have a similar-but-different vibe

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Titan and Venus have a similar-but-different vibe

Hmm, I'd never considered them together. One is literally the hottest place in the solar system (not counting the Sun). The other is a -250F methane ice world.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

redshirt posted:

Hmm, I'd never considered them together. One is literally the hottest place in the solar system (not counting the Sun). The other is a -250F methane ice world.

And they're both yellow hellholes with scaly ground

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Check out this ancient goddess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
this is a good thread to have. one of my low effort hobbies is peeking through the uploads from webb every night and seeing if anything cool looking shows up. most of what it takes are kinds of data other than pictures for looking at with human eyeballs, so it's a pretty quick scroll 99% of the time. here are some random rear end shots I have pulled and processed, not all of which I labeled and or remember what sky object they are

here is a photo of europa. it's tiny but still amazing that we can get europa pixels from an earth-adjacent space telescope

NGC-1566

NGC-1385 (oh I messed with colors on this one)

the average non-image image looks like this. smart people can still use the pixel values to make the science go, but it's not much to look at by itself

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Well that's just nifty as all hell.

Though what's with the blotches of black in this one?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think it's bullshit how Nasa slaps a bunch of neon lights over Hubble photos like they're presenting a gaming PC. I want to see a telescopic image of space, not an artists representation of a telescopic image of space.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Well that's just nifty as all hell.

Though what's with the blotches of black in this one?

I have utterly no idea what causes those, but they are in the raw image (they are ugly and I would not add them on purpose) and are frequent enough that I assume them to be an artifact of "make pretty photos" being near the bottom of the list of things it's actually for

Beartaco posted:

I think it's bullshit how Nasa slaps a bunch of neon lights over Hubble photos like they're presenting a gaming PC. I want to see a telescopic image of space, not an artists representation of a telescopic image of space.

all hubble's raws are just online for free, the cost is effort and installing niche software. the versions that have been lisa frank'd by random artists do tend to make the news though

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beartaco posted:

Both Hubble and James Webb produce grayscale images; the colorization channels are chosen for reasons like highlighting different chemical compositions in gas clouds or separating electromagnetic emission spectra. They also usually need to clean up various artifacts like excess starlight and cosmic ray flashes.

Also, keep in mind that space telescope exposures take many hours to days, so even in visual wavelengths there's really no "real" version of the processed image you're seeing, any more than there's a "real" version of a stained cell you're looking at through a backlit microscope. The very act of observation at these scales is the act of translating information out of our perceptual range into something we can comprehend.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Javid posted:

this is a good thread to have. one of my low effort hobbies is peeking through the uploads from webb every night and seeing if anything cool looking shows up. most of what it takes are kinds of data other than pictures for looking at with human eyeballs, so it's a pretty quick scroll 99% of the time. here are some random rear end shots I have pulled and processed, not all of which I labeled and or remember what sky object they are

These are amazing! What's your setup like? Do you have to travel to get good shots?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Reminder that we are totally insignificant.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Or the inverse, we're sentient living things considering the Universe we're made up. Pretty miraculous.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

redshirt posted:

Check out this ancient goddess.

I love this one because I like to imagine it happening. The slowest, laziest collision in the history of the solar system.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITwYEIY2FlE

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Touched up or untouched up, space is gorgeous

Secks Cauldron posted:

I think the Carina Nebula is stunning

I always thought the division in this pic made it a good phone background :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

redshirt posted:

One of the Deep Fields:

This would make great wallpaper, like for actual walls

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This one's great, perfect mix of noise and an absolutely wild view of the planet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Snowy posted:

This would make great wallpaper, like for actual walls

Lol I accidentally printed out a copy of this on a brand new expensive plotter.

I got away with it, and can't guess how much it cost in toner.

It covers most of a wall, it's great, I love looking at it every day.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Beartaco posted:

All of the planets are named after Roman deities, with the exception of Uranus which was named after the Greek sky father solely because astronomers thought it would be really god drat funny.

Considering that William Herschel wanted to name it after King George, it's not that bad a choice. I guess.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

All the poo poo from the James Webb telescope are actually nutty and every time I see them I think god drat it owns to be alive to see this poo poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Genesplicer posted:

Considering that William Herschel wanted to name it after King George, it's not that bad a choice. I guess.

i think having a planet called george would be pretty nice actually

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
European Space Agency (ESA) has sent out their own satellite Euclid and it has also taken some sweet pictures:
https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Euclid/Euclid_s_first_images_the_dazzling_edge_of_darkness

Horsehead nebula

a Photogenic Spiral Galaxy:

Perseus Cluster (Perse means rear end in finnish)

Unlike James Webb, which focuses on in depth accuracy, the Euclids goal is to capture 1/3rd of visible space within next 6 years and use the knowledge to map galactic distribution and distribution of Dark matter and energy..
Of course Euclid does not take pictures in same depth that James Webb can.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beautiful.

It's amazing that space is so big that galaxies - collections of hundreds of millions of stars - are just scattered little dust clouds, spinning a little spin, in comparison.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
:yeah:

Perseus Cluster has 1000 galaxies in there and oops there's 100 000 more galaxies further behind in the background.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One day soon, we will finally be able to see all the crabs in the Crab Nebula

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

One day soon, we will finally be able to see all the crabs in the Crab Nebula

Not likely friend

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hollismason posted:

redshirt posted:

Or the inverse, we're sentient living things considering the Universe we're made up. Pretty miraculous.

Yeah, we're far cooler than all that empty space with nothing in it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ganymede is the coolest. i want to be a bartender there

here it is casting a shadow on jupiter

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The smaller planets and larger moons of the Solar System:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

redshirt posted:

The smaller planets and larger moons of the Solar System:

No phobos 6/10

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 11, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I enjoy looking at the Deep Field images, and feeling emotions I don’t know the names of.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I enjoy looking at the Deep Field images, and feeling emotions I don’t know the names of.

Search your feelings for those words, those thoughts. Cosmic oneness? That everything can be so big and yet so small simultaneously? That there are quantum fields that pervade our reality and we barely understand the concept?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It feels a lot like relief, oddly enough, but bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

redshirt posted:

Beautiful.

It's amazing that space is so big that galaxies - collections of hundreds of millions of stars - are just scattered little dust clouds, spinning a little spin, in comparison.

How lucky are we that Jesus was born here on earth and not one of the other millions of planets near us