Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I really love it when Gmail fails to delete an email from the notification and just leaves this sitting there indefinitely:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

hooah posted:

I really love it when Gmail fails to delete an email from the notification and just leaves this sitting there indefinitely:

Did you mean to leave your email address?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

crepeface posted:

google assistant is such garbage

You gotta disable Sean Connery mode in the settings, friend.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Did you mean to leave your email address?

Nope, but oh well. If someone wants to pay :10bux: to go to my spam folder that's fine with me.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Aware posted:

Samsung has recentlyish added a limiter you can enable that makes it stop at 80 or 85% charge, maybe the pixel has the same? AccuBattery can do the same if not. I don't know if this is super important but it seems to be becoming 'a thing'.

Well, that has been recommended for electric cars for a while now. Plus any decent smartphone these days will have plenty of battery life that one could stop charging at 80% and still have enough power for a day of normal use. Seems only logical that phones should get that feature.

Alan_Shore posted:

I got my Fold 3 on eBay for a great deal and it worked perfectly. I think you'll do well with the 3, I had no problems with the performance or battery at all, same with the folding

Checking eBay, it looks like the Fold 4 isn't that much more expensive. Even the 5 isn't too too horrible (about $900 for a refurbished 512GB model). I had forgotten that my current phone also came from eBay - thank you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

Pro-tip, you can buy like 30-50 silicone USB-C covers on Amazon for like $5-10. I bought a bag and just hand them out to friends/coworkers with USB-C phones.

:hmmyes:

I get those, and also 3.5mm plugs for the few devices I still have with those jacks.

The only devices I don't cover the USB port on are the phones I've converted to wireless charging, as the USB port is always occupied by the charging pad thing's plug.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, a weird behavior just started yesterday. On my Pixel 7, when I swipe the bottom bar to change apps, the bar moves to the side of the screen for 4-5 seconds, as if I'd rotated the phone to landscape. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? It'll go away immediately if I swipe up to go to the home screen.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Holy mother of gently caress, yes, I get that I can circle to search, please stop putting up a full screen advertisement for it. Is this repeatedly happening to anyone else?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Have you drawn a circle around your question to search for an answer?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Holy mother of gently caress, yes, I get that I can circle to search, please stop putting up a full screen advertisement for it. Is this repeatedly happening to anyone else?

Not for me!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Deathlove posted:

How else can product owners justify their jobs? Oh no people aren't using the thing I said we should make, let's beat them over the head with it!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Have you used it at least once?

That's generally how all these tutorial features work, they bug you until you do them at least once, Google isn't really unique in that factor.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's pretty impressive stuff! As is the new photo AI editor.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

bull3964 posted:

Have you used it at least once?

That's generally how all these tutorial features work, they bug you until you do them at least once, Google isn't really unique in that factor.

google photos has some sort of enhancement suggestion for pretty much every single photo in my library and no amount of clicking it makes it go away. i guess my photos just really suck, but it's their camera!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those aren't full screen tutorials.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone updated to the latest Samsung version yet? Can you disable the AI poo poo completely?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really don't know what you are asking.

"Galaxy AI" is just an umbrella term of a collection of features like Circle to Search and live translate. There's nothing really to disable. You could just choose to not use them?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I just bought an S23, updated it fully, and after doing the usual new-phone-settings-changes haven't seen any AI stuff at all.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I dunno I just updated my fold 5 to OneUI 6.1 and couldn't avoid being told about it after - check the Tips app/section

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yes I mean I think it's good the phone tells you that you have new tools and things you can use. It popped up after I updated and that was it

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
gently caress AI junk I'm not reading about or using any of it.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Aware posted:

Circle to search is not AI lol

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Aware posted:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I too hate when my phone tells me what's new in an update

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BabyFur Denny posted:

Circle to search is not AI lol

It says right there Advanced Intelligence!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aware posted:

nice meltdown

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Phone: here's some new features you don't have to use, but we wanted to let you know about in case you or any of the other 2 million people that have the same device want to check them out.

Aware: gently caress youuuuuuuuu! I don't want to know about stuff my $1500 device can do!

Lose your poo poo a little harder, bud. Just lol.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ai poo poo is bad, phone telling you about new features is good, perhaps the truth lies in the middle............

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

ai poo poo is bad, phone telling you about new features is good, perhaps the truth lies in the middle............

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So for a while people were posting with riffs on "you imbecile. You loving moron." Is this the origin of that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So for a while people were posting with riffs on "you imbecile. You loving moron." Is this the origin of that?

it sure is

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Being *told* about new features is not a problem, obviously. Not being able to remove or permanently disable those features is a problem. I don't want to accidentally activate a bunch more more data grabbing features than absolutely necessary.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

nice meltdown

:stonkhat:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

PirateBob posted:

Being *told* about new features is not a problem, obviously. Not being able to remove or permanently disable those features is a problem. I don't want to accidentally activate a bunch more more data grabbing features than absolutely necessary.

Settings > advanced features > artifical intelligence > process data only on device

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Resdfru posted:

Settings > advanced features > artifical intelligence > process data only on device

Now if only there were a "Tell advertising company/data broker that manufactures all the software for this device to completely change their business model" setting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be honest, I don't really see myself ever using 'circle to search' but it's not like it's holding my pets hostage or anything.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Resdfru posted:

Seems that setting is hidden inside the AI feature set itself? Which requires you to sign in to a samsung account (Which no one should ever do btw. They upload from your phone absolutely everything you do, all apps, all call logs and sms, all data, and sell it all)

Anyway, seems like I don't have to worry about any of that junk then, as it's tied into their lovely data-scraping-and-selling account system.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 5, 2024

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

PirateBob posted:

Seems that setting is hidden inside the AI feature set itself? Which requires you to sign in to a samsung account (Which no one should ever do btw. They upload from your phone absolutely everything you do, all apps, all call logs and sms, all data, and sell it all)

Anyway, seems like I don't have to worry about any of that junk then, as it's tied into their lovely data-scraping-and-selling account system.

Samsung sells all that data?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, there's no way in hell that Samsung is uploading and monetizing all your SMS and haven't been sued into oblivion. I'm not a fan of ab lot of what Samsung software does, but I'm going to have to see a real source on that.

Regardless, if you don't want to sign into a Samsung account, don't buy a Samsung phone. You need an account to get updates from the Galaxy Store from what I remember, so if you aren't logged in, a whole lot of core device services aren't going to get updated.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Car companies are actually the worst about this. If you have a newer car then it is probably not only spying on you, but on your passengers.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/b...s-privacy-test/

My probably vain hope is that by using Android Auto I'm making the systems have to hand over to that, and I have tracker blocking on my phone. But it's still pretty disturbing.