Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am trying to old person proof a phone for my parents. Do you know how to turn off the pressing an icon for a few seconds to edit/move it function, or what it's called exactly so I can look it up?

My dad is constantly deleting and moving icons that I have painstakingly laid out and complaining that they have "disappeared".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Under homescreen settings there should be a setting similiar to "lock home screen layout"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cheers.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
How do I switch on the send sound in messages?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PirateBob posted:

https://privacy.samsung.com/

Log in and see what they have collected from your phone, and what third parties have been getting access to it

Took until today to get the report back.

Under Calls and Text.

"Your personal information does not exist"

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Under Calls and Text.

Down the loving memory hole eh? Is it just me or does that sound creepy?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mister Speaker posted:

My Galaxy Note10 is acting up. The screen isn't registering some touch input, namely trying to unlock the phone. Sometimes the fingerprint icon appears on a black screen, sometimes the screen stays black entirely or the clock is visible in the corner, somewhat bizarre behaviour like hanging on a blurry home screen. It's sort of slowing down on button input too.

Is it dying? Is there anything I can do short of another factory reset to fix this? I turned off finger print recognition and accidental touch protection, it's still behaving weirdly. I'll try cleaning out the memory, it could be cluttered?

EDIT: It appears to be getting worse. Double-tapping the screen wakes it but there's no swipe option. Perfect timing, I just started chatting with a really nice girl on a dating app. :(

Do you have a case on the phone? Is there some gunk between it and the screen?

I've had to take off the case and wipe down my phone quite a few times when it was doing stuff like this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

I was told about Airalo a month ago in this thread and have a question about it! I'm going to install it on my mom's phone this weekend for her Poland trip on Monday. I wasn't able to see: is this something that will swap automatically when she flies out or something that can be toggled before she goes or something she'll have to deal with when she lands? Not sure about the proper steps to switch over.

One more Airlo question. :confuoot:

Does it auto renew at the end of the month? If not, will buying a second month require setting up a new eSIM or something that will just work?

They're website is not clear and emailing support was not helpful.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 13, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uthor posted:

One more Airlo question. :confuoot:

Does it auto renew at the end of the month? If not, will buying a second month require setting up a new eSIM or something that will just work?

They're website is not clear and emailing support was not helpful.

It tells you when your data is running out at least and lets you top up. Not sure if it does the same with time.

There's probably an Airalo or eSim subreddit you can ask aswell tho

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Under Calls and Text.

Weird. Don't know what's going on there. They had all my calls and texts.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

bull3964 posted:

Under Calls and Text.

I was curious about this and just got the report back as well. No info at all on calls and texts.

Has my name, phone number, location, incomplete list of installed apps and that I have an old Samsung TV (not connected to the internet for a few years) and that is about it. Doubt they are selling that info.

I am somewhat vigilant about denying any optional permissions and located in the EU so perhaps those help limit collection.

Edit: By location I mean login country not actual location.

Stupid Decisions fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 15, 2024

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

quote:

Thank you for being a Google One member where you enjoy extra storage, family sharing, and more. We’re writing to let you know about some updates coming to your Google One subscription starting on ‌M‌a‌y‌ ‌1‌5‌. These changes are designed to streamline your benefits while ensuring you have a valuable subscription experience.

Key changes:

Expanding access to popular features: We’re making enhanced editing features like Magic Eraser and Portrait Light available to all Google Photos users with devices that meet the requirements starting on ‌M‌a‌y‌ ‌1‌5‌.¹ Dark web report will also be made available to all eligible Google Accounts in the coming months.²

Bringing Magic Editor to more users: Google Photos’ most advanced editing tool, Magic Editor, will become available to all Google Photos users starting in May, helping you to make complex edits in an intuitive way leveraging generative AI.³ As a Google One member with a Premium 2TB or above plan, you will get unlimited saves in Magic Editor to unlock your creativity. Learn more.

Phasing out two benefits: With a focus on providing the most in-demand features and benefits, we’re discontinuing free shipping for select print orders from Google Photos (in Canada, the UK, US, and EU) starting on ‌M‌a‌y‌ ‌1‌5‌ and VPN by Google One later this year.

What stays the same:

Storage: You’ll still enjoy 2 TB of storage.

Family sharing: Share your storage with up to 5 family members.

Advanced Google Meet and Google Calendar features: Continue to enjoy longer group meetings and enhanced appointments.

I don't remember why I am signed up to this thing but it sounds like they are making a lot of the exclusive features no longer be exclusive and also completely removing others. Odd that they don't mention a price decrease...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You will be grateful they are not increasing the price user

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_9_pro_fold_to_arrive_this_fall_following_naming_scheme_revamp-news-62453.php

quote:

Google might be looking to reset people's perceptions of its foldable smartphone efforts. Following up the Pixel Fold from last year should be the Pixel Fold 2, but a new report today claims it's been renamed and will actually be sold as the Pixel 9 Pro Fold.

Furthermore, as we already heard once before, this device could make its debut at Google's annual hardware unveiling event this October, and not at Google I/O in May like its predecessor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's good to have all those devices aligned. Staggered release of devices anyways causes issues with hardware generation lagging.

Having the G4 for the next Fold is preferable to the G3. Samsung also has this issue with their foldable devices always coming in at the tail end of a SoC generation. You pay for the most premium device and you get an SoC that's going to be replaced in 3 months.

As for a wishlist.

Qi2 across the board. I don’t want to have to buy a specific case to use magnetic charging accessories. The spec is done since the beginning of the year, Qi2 should be table stakes for any device over $500 now.

Gorilla Glass Armor with the anti-reflective coating. Scratches at a level 7 with deeper grooves at a level 8 for the first time ever and the anti-reflective coating on the S24U is something to behold. It’s soooooo good, a legit next gen quality of life thing.

I would like to see the more advanced LYTIA sensors in the space constrained Fold to close some of the low light gap between it and the mainline Pixel devices.

Other than that, I don’t have a ton of notes. Would obviously like general improvements to battery life and signal (even though I haven’t had signal issues, I would like people who have had them to all be happy). I wouldn’t mind charging to be pushed a bit higher into the 40ish watt range at the low end, but the Pixel 8 Pro made such huge strides in charging compared to the 7 series that I’m almost at the “good enough” level with it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 16, 2024

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Why won't Chrome update? The phone has more than enough space for it to do its thing. I've emptied caches, rebooted multiple times, rolled back the version to the initially installed one. Still fails after downloading. The Google app used to do this occasionally but would update mysteriously after a couple of days usually. Its been about 2+ weeks now. Funnily it has happily updated on a lovely old Android 8 phone I had kicking around. This is 12 (can't go further). I've tried through Chrome itself and the Play Store. I just get:

quote:

Can't install Google Chrome

Try again, and if it still doesn't work, see common ways to fix the problem

Send feedback Understood

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

franco posted:

Why won't Chrome update? The phone has more than enough space for it to do its thing. I've emptied caches, rebooted multiple times, rolled back the version to the initially installed one. Still fails after downloading. The Google app used to do this occasionally but would update mysteriously after a couple of days usually. Its been about 2+ weeks now. Funnily it has happily updated on a lovely old Android 8 phone I had kicking around. This is 12 (can't go further). I've tried through Chrome itself and the Play Store. I just get:

Have you checked for Google Play Store updates?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Never really understood why the "A" series of Pixel phones launched 6 months behind the regular/pro ones, but carried the same number.

Just delay the next A series after this upcoming one, and put that into your Fall launches also.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Never really understood why the "A" series of Pixel phones launched 6 months behind the regular/pro ones, but carried the same number.

Just delay the next A series after this upcoming one, and put that into your Fall launches also.

The 'a' series used to fit into a portfolio much more clearly than it does now I think. The 7a is a really close spec match for the regular 7, and the 8a will likely be in a similar position. Last year a friend of mine was about to get a Pixel 7a on contract, but the regular 7 was only an extra £9 upfront for the same tariff, rendering the 7a pointless in that regard.

It wouldn't surprise me if they changed the naming scheme in future some time though. The 10a might be called the regular 10, the regular 10 might be called the 10 Pro, and the 10 Pro might be the 10 Pro Max or something.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 17, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This one kind of makes sense if you think about it from the perspective of parts. The A series have been getting the same generation Tensor as the previously released mainline Pixel since the 6 which is pretty nice for a budget phone. This allows google to reap production efficiencies for their lower cost device. They are also dropping the device at the mature part of the lifecycle for that platform which should mean lower support costs assorted with the phone.

Where it falls down is pricing as the base Pixel model is usually discounted to a point where it’s very close to the A series in price at that point in the lifecycle.

I think Google needs to shift focus on the A series because it being “budget” isn’t enough, especially with cheaper options out there. I think the A series should be refocused to a “LTS” phone model (long term support). Google has already done that from the software side of things, but I want to see it from a reparability side of things. Make the A series device a phone that the average person can repair and keep running in good physical condition for years upon years. Have the back able to be popped off easily to gain access to the battery or to repair cosmetic blemishes. Make the screen easy to remove with a screw/gasket/clip system instead of layers of glue. Make the charging port modular so you can just swap it out if it stops working. Make it simple to swap the parts to a new frame if your old one is damaged. Above all, make all these parts reasonable in price so there’s not the whole “it costs more to fix than to just buy the newest one” thing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Looking for an app suggestion, although what I'm looking for might not be available, or at least practical in a phone format.

I'm currently being trained as a lead inspector, and one of the things we have to do is draw up a floorplan of the building to notate the layout of rooms, and to label the locations within each room where samples are taken.

Apparently most people do this on paper, but I suck at freehand drawing and my handwriting is terrible.

Ideally I'd like some way to do this on my phone (a Galaxy S23 Ultra, so I have an S-Pen).

It doesn't need to be incredibly detailed, just the ability to neatly draw rooms and add marks/symbols for doors, windows, and stairs.

If it isn't possible/practical on a phone, I suppose I could do a messy drawing on paper and the final version on my computer.

I just don't want to do what this other guy did and scan a janky piece of notebook paper into the final report, which is a legal document attached to the property deed.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The default samsung app PENUP let's you export stuff you draw as various image types, might do pdf too but not sure. You could also try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adsk.sketchbook

There are also quite a few floor plan creation apps but I'm not sure how reliable and secure they are if you don't want this stuff being sent to some random app

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Security isn't a concern AFAIK because the floorplans aren't required to include any identifiable information (address, owner name, etc). They're basically just used as a key to correlate sample sites with the lab results.

The actual report will of course be identifiable, but the floorplans won't.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Win11 link to Android seems so good now. Working incredibly well on my OP12, I feel like in the past you had to have a Samsung phone to get any advanced functionality out of it beyond SMS and transferring photos.

But now my phone screen can just sit on my desktop monitor, and even games play extremely well ... many wouldn't let me click and drag back in my Samsung days.

The one glitch I've found is that if I start using my phone without closing it on my PC, the phone screen won't properly turn off again while the display mirroring is active.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If I wanna use this new revamped find my device network ie. Google air tags, what should I buy? Ideally for my wallet, keys, suitcase, etc. I noticed that my Sony wireless XM5s auto enrolled which is neat.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

This worked! Thank you so much. Do you know why this would have happened? I cannot figure out why a link (to an actual news article) would do this.

fwiw, Google may have broken something important with a recent Pixel update(s), resulting in weird behavior for some folks. https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-owners-calls-text-network-issues-3431315/

I was basically a sitcom character while trying to figure out dinner this evening. My girlfriend and I were subsequently able to figure out that it's a crapshoot whether her Pixel 7 receives calls or texts from me, an iPhone user, unless she's recently had something outbound to me. As in, if my calls aren't going through, a text from her to me immediately (if briefly) fixes the problem. Reproduceably. It's strange.

e: pretty sure it's not a carrier issue.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I've had two people tell me today that my phone came up as Spam Likely when I called, I'm not sure it's Android related, but if there's anything I can do on my end, I'd appreciate it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

eviltastic posted:

fwiw, Google may have broken something important with a recent Pixel update(s), resulting in weird behavior for some folks. https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-owners-calls-text-network-issues-3431315/

I was basically a sitcom character while trying to figure out dinner this evening. My girlfriend and I were subsequently able to figure out that it's a crapshoot whether her Pixel 7 receives calls or texts from me, an iPhone user, unless she's recently had something outbound to me. As in, if my calls aren't going through, a text from her to me immediately (if briefly) fixes the problem. Reproduceably. It's strange.

My wife was having absolute hell trying to have her doctor call her over a week or so. She couldn't call in or join a pre-scheduled call, he would only call her and she missed his calls due to this over and over and over again. We thought it was due to WiFi calling, we don't have cell coverage, but we never had issues before this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Possibly relevant.

https://9to5google.com/2024/04/17/google-pixel-april-update/

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

If I wanna use this new revamped find my device network ie. Google air tags, what should I buy? Ideally for my wallet, keys, suitcase, etc. I noticed that my Sony wireless XM5s auto enrolled which is neat.

The blog post about it recommends:

https://chipolo.net/en-us/products/category/chipolo-point

and

https://pebblebee.com/pages/google-find-my-device

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife was having absolute hell trying to have her doctor call her over a week or so. She couldn't call in or join a pre-scheduled call, he would only call her and she missed his calls due to this over and over and over again. We thought it was due to WiFi calling, we don't have cell coverage, but we never had issues before this.

Huh, that probably explains why I was confused by the email I got from my doc yesterday saying they couldn't get ahold of me. They probably DID try calling on Tuesday like they said they would.

:argh:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh man, I've never heard of an update breaking a phone that badly, Imagine not being able to receive calls! Completely unacceptable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Random bit of information.

I picked up Anker's Prime 27,650mAh power bank when it was on sale this past week and the USB-A port supports 65w SuperVOOC charging. It's currently charging my OnePlus 12 at 55w using a OnePlus A-C charging cable. Looks like it's doing 9.1v@6.1A.

To my knowledge, this is one of the few power banks that support SuperVOOC charging on OnePlus devices. That creates some flexibility if you want to carry a normal USB-PD charger but still want to fast charge your phone (OP 12 will only charge about 27w on USB-PD which is a lot better than prior phones that maxed out at 15w.)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

eviltastic posted:

I've honestly been having this on and off with my pixel 6 for over a year. I thought it was just at&t being weird/maybe my sim being real old but maybe it's a part of this issue. Calls to me go straight to voice mail a lot of the time from my family who are all on iphones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tyvm

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google is reorganizing.

https://9to5google.com/2024/04/18/google-platform-and-devices-team-android-pixel-hardware/

quote:

Google will reorganize its Android, Chrome, ChromeOS, Photos, and other teams to be under the same roof as Pixel, Nest, and other hardware efforts. Rick Osterloh will lead the new “Platform and Devices” team.

Hiroshi Lockheimer, the long-time lead of the Android team, will move to undisclosed “other projects” within Google and Alphabet.

This shift won’t break down the “firewall” that’s existed between Pixel and Android as a whole, though, Osterloh says. Google’s Sameer Samat will take up a role as the “President of the Android Ecosystem,” which will continue to work with third-party Android efforts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And we will call it Nexus.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

And we will call it Nexus.

:swoon:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I think this happened to me actually. I just assumed it was the B-tier mobile network I've switched to since October but it could be this software bug.

Phone software must be really bloody hard. Remember the Essential phone? Failed despite a lot of expertise behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024
Well I just got a pixel 8 about a week ago and I love it.

... nobody ever calls me and now nobody ever will...