Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

XIII posted:

What do you guys think of capacitive vs on screen buttons?

What are buttons?

Gestures4lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

To add to the OP: some of the Chinese manufacturers like Xaoimi and Huawei won't ship with the Play Store installed.

Can't even get Huawei in the US

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I have a question for US dual-SIM users.

I'm potentially starting a contracting gig and I'll be able to buy/expense a phone, but I also don't want to dual-wield.

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to use with say Verizon on one and T-Mo/etc on the other? Will both be active for incoming calls simultaneously? Is it difficult to choose which SIM to use for outgoing? I plan on both of them being unlimited data, so I won't need to worry about data accounting, it's just keeping calls and texts sorted.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Aware posted:

I can only speak for Samsung so take it as you will - Dual SIM is an excellent experience, especially being able to run seperate instances of messenger apps like WhatsApp/Telegram etc for each SIM. You set a preferred voice/SMS/data SIM of which data only really matters most of the time. The phone and messages apps make it easy to see which SIM you're using and swap what you use per contact/chat etc.

I've done this on an S10+ , and S21+ and now a Z Fold 5 for keeping work/personal seperated on a single device.

I was actually considering a Fold 5 in this case, so that's good to know. Thanks!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Aware posted:

Fwiw I run my personal as an eSIM and work provides a physical SIM. They no longer have dual physical SIM models I think, or if they do it may need to be a grey import.

I'm expecting the Pixel 8 to be eSIM only ala iPhone, so I've been resigning myself to that idea already since I'm considering it if I don't pick up the gig.

eSIM + physical is fine for me, id probably keep Verizon on the eSIM because they seem to have the switching infrastructure pretty well in hand.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's not.

Hmmm, then I'll probably have to go with something more specialized. Thanks for the note.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

All the colors are lame this year.

I feel you. But at the same time, I usually just get black and throw it in a TPU case, anyway, so it doesn't really matter what color I end up with.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Why do they block wifi calling on some models and not others? It seems like the sort of thing that should be all or nothing.

Because capitalism. Literally.

AT&T got in trouble for gating WiFi calling based on IMEI for identical phones, just not allowing phones purchased elsewhere to use it. No technical reason, just because the money went through them instead of someone else.

In the US, remember, shareholders dictate everything. They want growth at all costs.

If Verizon reached 100% saturation in the US, shareholders would still tank the stock the next quarter because there was not enough growth.

It's psychotic and ruins everything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's also probably easier from a support standpoint to just support it only on phones you specifically sell, and not unlocked phones you can purchase outside of the carrier. It's an easy line for the agent on the other end of chat/phone to say.

I could see this for models, but not IMEI. AT&T got dinged for not whitelisting the exact same phone they were selling, just without the IMEI already in their system.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I still don't understand how that's a thing. I've been using optical fingerprint sensors since the OnePlus 6T and I've never seen the light from the sensor on any device.

Like you, I have pretty big hands (we bringing back the basketball discussion?), but every once in a while I'll get my thumb not quite in the right spot. I won't go so far as some of the ridiculous hyperbole I've seen here and say it blinded me, even at night, but it's pretty bright.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pulled the trigger on a 512 in blue with matching buds. Now let's see if I get hosed because I wasn't fast enough 😂

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BonoMan posted:

yooo audio magic eraser... nice

So much. With my idiot dog that barks for attention whenever we're not focused 100% on him this will be amazing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Night Sight video is amazing

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Tremors posted:

Ordered my P8P. What cases are y'all buying? Doesn't look like Spigen has one out yet.

I'm gonna try to run naked for a while (the phone, too). But whenever the clear Spigen pops up I'll grab it and use it 'til it turns brown.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Nalin posted:

lol Google's store page still doesn't work on Firefox. Jeeesus Google.

Ordered mine on FF as soon as the page went live. I'm gonna guess you've got an extension loving things up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Zet posted:

For P8Pro, Is all the AI stuff on-device now? I assume most of the data the Pixel Watch learns about you gets sent back to Google?

I just want the cool stuff without the strings attached :\

More of it is. Each iteration, outside of the CPU/GPU updates, is adding more algorithms in silicon. What's not in silicon goes back to Google, like the enhanced video bits. Some of it is done on device, but it offloads a bunch of it to the cloud services.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

"Though these results prove that Google’s Tensor G3 is playing catch-up with the competition, it is unconfirmed if the two flagships are completely unusable under real-world use."

lol

Wow, pushing the hardware at its limits for prolonged periods causes heat issues on a completely passively cooled handheld device? That's crazy talk.

*stares in enterprise-class server hardware*

Fake edit: Verizon P6P downloading 14 update now

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

hark posted:

drat they updated my pixel 8 pro and watch 2 ship dates from October 13th to fuckin November 13th :qq:

Did you order right when it went live or wait until the end of the event?

If you're not right on top of it, you may have missed the first batch

Just checked mine and the estimated delivery shows the 12th so far.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Shipped notification just came in. Hell yes. Now I just need to wait for FedEx to not gently caress up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

All right, FedEx. Time to hurry the gently caress up...

Really liked what I saw in MKBHD's review, especially the video stuff. If you have POC in your friend circles, Real Tone is absolutely fantastic.

Are we really sure that some of the AI stuff in Tensor 3 is actually software-gated, or is it actually binned chips like we suspected before.

I still understand why they would, though. It's Pro, not XL. If it was just XL, then I would say yeah it doesn't make sense.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I do love having an idiot dog that barks at everything coming near the door sometimes. He told me FedEx was here before FedEx was here.

Edit: drat this thing is smooth

Edit 2: I'm loving the noise canceling on the Pro 2s. They still leave a little background noise so it's not like sensory deprivation (ex: I can hear my keyboard just fine while I'm typing this), but it really takes all the ambient noise down nicely.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 12, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I mean, the answer is literally "They designed this particular lock screen this way".

If you want deeper meaning, then you need to talk to the actual designers on the 'why's of the decisions to put things where they are on that screen.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Volguus posted:

I've been using AAWireless for a bunch of years now, ordered it from indiegogo campaign. Was quite poo poo at the beginning, but with software updates it's been rock solid now for more than 2 years. Except one spot in my city. Whenever I go over a particular bridge then under it to merge on a (big) highway, AA just disconnects. Reconnects 2 minutes later. It happened too many times around that spot to be a coincidence. No idea what could cause it, but that location on earth just simply hates AAWireless. Or AA. Or me.

Sounds like a high powered transmitter, maybe. Not sure if the AAWireless uses 2.4 or 5, but if it's 2.4, microwave transmissions can disrupt it. When my in-laws were using a lovely laptop with just 2.4GHz WiFi, the microwave oven between the laptop and router would disrupt their connection when it ran.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The new buds hold better than any others I've used right out of the box.

I have Galaxy Buds 2 as well, and I constantly had to adjust them.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think the folding lcd phones are not worth it. That crease is like having a strip of dead pixels on the screen

TBF, they're not LCD and the newer generation are getting much better at keeping the fold line flatter when opened. The Flip5 does a really good job of it and even a Costco demo unit that's probably seen as many folds as one would during its entire lifetime had just a bit of a wave at the fold line.

That being said, I decided to wait one more generation at least for myself. I was considering a Fold 5, but decided on P8 Pro this time around.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I see it under Settings > Display. It's towards the bottom, right above the Smooth Display toggle.

No special modes needed. Did you get into some weird safe mode type of thing?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I got a spontaneous reboot overnight a few days ago. I don't really worry about it unless it gets frequent

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I think you did it the wrong way. You need to install intune from the regular play store, and that will handle setting up the work profile, etc.

At least, that's how ours works.

Intune and Duo are installed via my play store, and the office apps, etc are through the work profile store.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

butt dickus posted:

i removed the work profile and was able to install intune, but i go to sign in and it tells me my device is going to be managed by my company. i thought the whole point of the work profile was to separate all that bullshit, and i have to have an extra app installed on the personal side of my phone too? i've avoided putting work stuff on my phone up until now, and i was hoping the new features would let me have it work the way i want

here's what i want
-no extra apps on the personal side of my phone. i have exactly 32 and that makes for 8 rows in the drawer
-for my company stuff to be separate so if they wipe it or whatever it doesn't mess with my personal stuff
-to be able to turn off work stuff so no one can bug me unless i enable it myself

is there a way i can do this?

The remote wipe is just for the work profile. Your main profile is still yours.

Can't get around having the intune. You're going to have 33.

You can snooze the work profile as a part of base Android.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I've been using multiple profiles on 14 since it dropped. Both on my 6 pro and now 8 pro.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Oi. Yeah. They're not doing MDM right, then.

The whole point of the Android Work profile is to segregate your work stuff from your personal stuff, so that if/when they need to send the poison pill, it doesn't nuke your whole device.

It sounds like the way they're setting it up won't even make the wipe stuff work right, anyway, let alone nuking the whole device.

Edit: The way it *should work* - Install InTune Company Portal. Log in with work credentials and ack 2FA. Android Work profile gets set up and makes a Play Store available. Install Outlook. Log in to Outlook. Outlook takes device admin permissions including remote wipe (just for the Android Work profile). Install other apps.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Gotta love competent IT staff. Too bad there's not a lot of that around.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

between the equaliser updates and the new feature that pauses your music/turns off noise cancellation if it notices you speaking, I'm really loving the pixel bud pro's even more

I love the automatic transparency. Last night at the gym it was activating a little too easily, but after hitting go again a few times, it calmed down. Since conditions didn't change, I'm assuming it was learning. It stopped triggering when I cleared my throat, etc as well.

Also: lol@the immediate mod-sass above. Made my morning.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Do you do anything special to keep them in your ear? They fall out easier than the Pixel Buds A's for me and even those fall out of my ear once in awhile at the gym.

These hold better than any others I've used before. My Galaxy Buds 2 have a lot of trouble staying in with the stock tips. These don't.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

stratego posted:

I have had nothing but a bad experience with the auto transparency while at the gym. Any exertion noise, a cough, throat clearing, any noise while lifting would trigger it and it was super loving annoying to have to restart the playback.
After 4 gym sessions of annoyance I had to turn it off.

Mine was like that at first, but calmed down pretty quickly. Interesting.

I also don't power lift, so maybe I'm just making less noises overall.

But I had no problem listening to my audible book last night, and the only time it triggered was when I actually talked to someone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I think the biggest bit about the 8 line was parts availability. Having software updates is great, but being able to get a fresh battery after 4+ years will be HUGE for longevity.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Knowing Apple, they'll make the RCS bubbles red text on a green background.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Humans are so weird

We will attach social status to everything we can.

It's more of a sickness than just weird, really.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The problem is that they and some of their peers take them seriously, which is enough.

It's all stupid zoomer poo poo, but it's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Just turn your adblockers off or get YouTube premium. I don't understand how 5-10 seconds of ads is such an impossible price to pay for all the amazing, often "grassroots" content on YouTube. Expecting all of that for $0 is just pure entitlement to me.

And in general across the web, it's not the 00's anymore, ads are much more well behaved now in general. The sites with the truly cancerous ads are the sites you don't want to visit anyway. Try going a week without an adblocker, it will be fine, I promise.

You mean aside from the multiple incidents of people being served "ads" that are 90+ minutes long as a pre-roll?

I have premium, but I still use uBlock and SponsorBlock.

And your understanding of the current ad climate is woefully inadequate. Ad networks continue to be attack vectors, and also tend to STILL be really loving annoying, taking up bandwidth and overall making GBS threads up the entire experience.