Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BonoMan posted:

godDAMN I'm so tired of this stupid loving super slick phone backs.

I usually have a case on my phone (Pixel7) but took it off to put it in a tripod for something I was doing for a friend. Then I was in the bathroom and set it on a counter. Set it on a loving ceramic top counter and it goddamn repelled the phone like a loving magnet. Just slid right off like a lovely hoverboard. Smashed the corner on the tile bathroom floor.

Godfuckingdamnit do they not test this poo poo? It's the worst.

This is your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

I still don't understand how that's a thing. I've been using optical fingerprint sensors since the OnePlus 6T and I've never seen the light from the sensor on any device.

Maybe they use their pinky finger?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Don't forget that the Pixel 8 will have sick trade in deals and discounts in a couple months. Last year I upgraded from a 6 to a 7 for $100 after the Pixel friends $100 off and trade in.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Bourricot posted:

GrapheneOS looks intriguing and might make me buy a Pixel 8. How's your experience with the compatibility of the sandboxed Google Play (especially banking apps)? And is the camera quality just as good as before flashing?

I've been running it for a couple weeks and my only complaint is no NFC payments.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

gourdcaptain posted:

Which isn't really so much a GrapheneOS-specific issue as "Google et. all are jackasses about having the stock OS for that."

Yes totally, I should've been more clear.

For content I will admit that I tried going for multiple users over the past two weeks and gave up. Its real annoying switching between different users for different sets of applications.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Chinook posted:

Weird question, seems unlikely that I'll get a satisfying answer after googling has failed me, but here it goes:

My brother died in 2021, and he left behind a Samsung Galaxy A01. I would like to get photos off of it, maybe get some contacts, that sort of thing. I don't know his passcode. It is at least 4 digits, but looks like it could be anything.

What are my options, aside from guessing numbers ad infinitum?

I am willing to pay, I think, if that is something that is an option.

Edit: Feel free to contact me via PMs if that is helpful or more appropriate. Thank you.

Your best bet is probably to try and get Google to give you access to their account.

Backed up photos, contacts, etc would hopefully be available through that route.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Your phone camera absolutely has a minimum distance and any photo inside that distance is going to look worse/be unfocused. I worked on some check scanning/photo apps and if you're taking a photo less than 12 inches away you're likely to get a blurry shot.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Avian Pneumonia posted:

crime in nyc is going way up.

what is my best option for a kind of 'decoy' phone that i could hand over to a mugger and not care about losing.

i'd want it to be less than $50 but also functional as a basic phone for at least twitter and google maps and such so i could bring and use it during trips to poorer countries where it might also be more likely to be lost or stolen.

the pic is of a new $40 phone but will it... actually work okay?

should i just look for a several generations old and maybe moderately damaged iphone? can something like that be had for $50?

https://www.lively.com/phones/jitterbug-flip2/

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

AlexDeGruven posted:

I love the automatic transparency. Last night at the gym it was activating a little too easily, but after hitting go again a few times, it calmed down. Since conditions didn't change, I'm assuming it was learning. It stopped triggering when I cleared my throat, etc as well.

Also: lol@the immediate mod-sass above. Made my morning.

Do you do anything special to keep them in your ear? They fall out easier than the Pixel Buds A's for me and even those fall out of my ear once in awhile at the gym.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

DesperateDan posted:

did you try the largest size tips/do a fitment check?

Yea I've tried them all. Without the fin like the A's have they just do not like to stay in :/

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Black Friday deals deliver. $150 off a Pixel 8 and $280 trade in on my Pixel 7 with 128gb.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Digital Jedi posted:

Grabbed a 8 Pro. My current 6 pro's battery is shot. Was only holding a 25% all weekend and just now got up to 100% (after being plugged in for 95% of the day). Not sure what happened but it's not good and it scares me it will just fully break or something

My trade in was $350 but i expect it to lower once they get the phone and test it.
Still, even if they take off $100 or so, with the sale itself I'm happy with price.
Though not thrilled with a delivery date of 12/6-12/11

They must be getting lots of orders. My delivery date is around Nov 20.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Funnily enough my new Pixel 8 seems slower in various things than my 7, especially loading up a mobile game.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

ShoogaSlim posted:

my pixel 8 google pay has been declining payments pretty consistently where my 7 never had a problem. i was thinking the face unlock would make things more smooth but it's been pretty fuckin wonky.

on the 7 it would ask for the fingerprint to be scanned almost as soon as i opened the wallet. now, it lets me scan my phone but then will show the fingerprint icon but also accepts a face unlock without really indicating it? idk real crap experience so far.

also, it's very evident that the pixel watch software is underbaked. using the app to transfer my watch from the 7 to 8 led to multiple loading screens hanging for minutes longer than it *should* have(?) and when i would back out it turns out it was successful or ask to restart or whatever.

pain in my god drat rear end

With my Pixel 8 in hand I am now strongly considering just returning it. General performance feels worse and I too experienced my first every Google wallet decline yesterday. drat do I love the smaller form factor though compared to the 7.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 20, 2023

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

ShoogaSlim posted:

immediately after the third time trying i just whipped out my actual card and it went through fine.

this also happened when i went to pay for stuff at the container store yesterday but i only bothered with google pay once before just using my card.

this morning at my usual every day coffee spot it worked first try but there's def something fucky going on

Maybe it was a Square issue , the declined payment I had was also on a Square terminal and my physical card worked immediately.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Pvt. Parts posted:

Just turn your adblockers off or get YouTube premium. I don't understand how 5-10 seconds of ads is such an impossible price to pay for all the amazing, often "grassroots" content on YouTube. Expecting all of that for $0 is just pure entitlement to me.

And in general across the web, it's not the 00's anymore, ads are much more well behaved now in general. The sites with the truly cancerous ads are the sites you don't want to visit anyway. Try going a week without an adblocker, it will be fine, I promise.

Because to me the content is not worth it and should it be paywalled or vanish I would not be worse off for it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

butt dickus posted:

lol "it's not worth 50 cents a day but it's worth complaining about"

Humanity.txt

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Pvt. Parts posted:

Yes, and TV ads can be annoying and obnoxious too. But that is the price you are paying to consume the content, which was produced by other humans, and does not fall out of the air. Otherwise you are effectively stealing the content, or stealing the use of the content, to be pedantic. I'm not saying I'm some perfect saint, I still :filez: on occasion if media is very difficult to find through legitimate means. But to have "I never want to see an ad on this content I pay literally nothing for!" as a policy is utterly bewildering and like I said, entitled, to me.

Ok that's my last post on this derail please don't probe me

Like anything, it's up to the consumer to decide what the value of something is. It's also up to the consumer to decide how they feel about ads.

For me, I watch maybe 1-2 videos a week and there are other avenues from which I could glean the same information.

I have a similar issue with traditional media in that the vast majority of it is formulaic and really not all that great and I'd be fine if 80% of it ceased to exist.

I don't expect anyone else to feel this way, but for me, I ain't paying and I ain't watching ads.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

butt dickus posted:

so why aren't you using those instead?

Given the option I'd rather listen than read and the dude is fairly entertaining, but getting video game news has no lack of sources.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/the-pixel-tablet-is-actually-just-a-few-spare-parts-in-a-half-empty-body/

It's a pretty weird device. I'd be more interested if it was in the $299 range I think.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

There's literally no difference. I know the motherboard is set aside, but that's because they are showing the vapor chamber which when you are looking at the disassembled device, fills the void visually if the mainboard is in or out. There's still a huge amount of empty space on the bottom and on the right hand side of the device.

Tablets are phones in larger cases. To write a whole article about how that is somehow odd is one of the dumbest looking for something wrong just for the sake of it takes that Ron has done this year. It's clickbaity dumb rear end poo poo and should have been enough to get him pulled off mobile review duty.

I certainly feel a bit silly posting now!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The December update made my status bar bigger for some reason and now there's entirely too much vertical padding around the time/battery status etc.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

I haven't seen any UI padding changes on any of the Pixel devices I have.

Wonder if it's because I run a smaller display size with a larger font. I should fiddle with it I guess.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The Google store.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Zet posted:

I just made the jump from Android 10 to 13: Wow, these quick settings tiles are gigantic? Went from 6 tiles up top to a 2x2 grid?

Is there a way to change this? Not seeing any options to hide the text or anything like that :\
In settings you can:
1. Turn display size down
2. Turn font size up to compensate.

By doing this you can have not enormous tiles.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Nah, being able to set the two separately is a heck of a lot better than getting alerts in 2 places or 0 places.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
People find themselves identifying with plenty of things and the type of phone they use is no exception. If you can, best not to cling to things that aren't you.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I converted all my iPhone having people to Signal and it solves all the problems Apple has created.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, it's always hilarious when people just spout "switch everyone to signal" or some poo poo when these conversations come up. They do not live in the real world

Not only do I live in the real world (whatever that implies), but it's exactly what I did and it worked!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

Literally no one I know uses WhatsApp. Or signal. It's all text or discord.

Have you considered living in the real world?!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Pixel 8 feels small enough to even use a case on it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

ShoogaSlim posted:

i hate using a case and never bothered in the past, but with the 8 it isn't so bad and i've been using one for a little over a month-ish now? it feels good.

still prefer a phone with no case at all but thanks to this form factor it's less egregious than before.

Yep I feel the same. I grabbed a Bellroy case and it feels great in the hand. Both the Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 just felt too big in my hand to run a case on them.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

repiv posted:

i was put off bellroy phone cases after seeing how extremely thin the leather layer was, with examples of corners wearing through completely, but i think that was in the pixel 6 days so maybe they've improved

I had one for my 6 for a bit and a single drop was enough to tear the leather. It's definitely more of a "finish" I think. It gives it a great hand feel but you're right it's pretty thin. My main complaint is the lighter colors get dirty really fast, so I went with black for the 8.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Samsung has always wished it was Apple. That's why they have all their own crap like the Samsung store.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

spincube posted:

They've already started to poo poo up Photos with that Memories garbage, which as far as I can tell is 'look, here are some pictures you took on the same day in roughly the same place, bundled together in your photo stream'.

I already put them into albums! You're bad at whatever it is you're doing, and I don't need this poo poo cluttering everything up! gently caress off and stop making everything worse!

Memories owns but I guess you could wake up every day, then go back through all your albums by hand and then look at photos from this day too.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

spincube posted:

I'm struggling to phrase this in a way that doesn't come off as petty, or :cloud:, but I've absolutely no interest at all in looking at auto-generated slideshows; because I'd prefer to interact with pictures I've taken, that I find meaningful, by myself. Meanwhile, the app is now generating and stuffing those FEATURED <day> / BEST OF <month> / TRIP TO <place i took a picture of a road sign for some reason, a few weeks ago> tiles in amongst the stream of photos I've taken anyway.

So I went on a trip before Christmas, enjoyed myself, and afterwards I put the photos I liked into an album, which I then shared to a few people: but, here's the app insisting that I look at its auto-generated TRIP TO <place> and <inaccurate place> slideshows, inserting a tile alongside my photos to make sure, doing a bad job of duplicating what I'd already done and without giving me a 'no, I don't want that, stop doing that' option.

A few threads ago I mentioned that Photos was probably the best Google-made app, in terms of how it uses the data that I voluntarily put into it: I'm even paying them to store more of my data, and the integration of a 'click here if you want to purchase a physical, tangible example of what you're looking at' option makes sense. With what I'm describing, though, it's like there's absolutely no escape from Google breaking the fourth wall and suggesting how I should be organising and looking at my own drat photos, and I resent the app for doing that.

Fair enough! I haven't seen what you're experiencing with these being inserted in the list of photos, only a small carousel at the top of the photos tab which isn't too intrusive to me

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Where does a $20 burner from the convenient mart land on the spectrum?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Lord Stimperor posted:

Are phones getting appreciably faster/better these days? I have a Oneplus 8. When I look around at new phones they don't really seem to be a significant improvement. Is the phone space stagnating?

It's been stagnated for 5+ years beyond incremental improvements.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

sleepwalkers posted:

sarnsung'd again

This was my exact thought. They've been doing bizarre bad things since inception. That's kinda their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

other people posted:

Does anyone know of a way to turn a phone into a device that only runs one app all the time?

I wanted our seven year old to be able to listen to music (Tidal) like an mp3 player so I got an old pixel (I think it was a pixel 3) with no sim and disabled all the apps I could. It worked well enough but he of course eventually started poking around and funnily enough he found the emoji/sticker search in the keyboard app (gboard) and started spending a lot of time searching for "memes" (while also listening to music but still). I had not anticipated this.

And then of course today he had an unlucky drop and the screen is totally smashed.

If I am going to do this again (am I??) I suppose I want something that:

- allows removing/disabling the keyboard app, or only provides one without all the sticker/search stuff that is so common now
- allows disabling/removing as much as possible
- allows pinning an app in some way

If I buy a used samsung, or some other make, or even an iphone, would it be easier to hit more of those targets? It would be great if there was some existing project that tried to provide something like this. I don't really want to get back into rooting phones and installing custom roms and all that awful poo poo.

When I first tried to set this up I actually bought some "modern" mp3 player from amazon that had wifi and what turned out to be awful Tidal integration. I'm not opposed to doing that again but it needs to be dead simple to use and Just Work and that was not my experience at all with that thing.

As a Tidal user, you should be able to download music from them at any quality. You could pick up something like a Sony Walkman and put music on there that way. I know it's not quite what you're asking for but just wanted to throw it out as an option.