Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Aware posted:

Screen is king. And hidden.

Now that I've gotten used to the gestures, I can't go back, need every pixel, on my pixel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I 1000% see the appeal, I just don't think the designs are there yet.

Questions about longevity aside. I think the designs are fine, they're just too expensive.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

incogneato posted:

I have a question about expiration of Google Store credits.

I have a $100 promotional credit from the purchase of a phone last year. The phone order was made October 9, 2022, and it was delivered October 13, 2022.

I plan on buying a Pixel 8. From what I can see, preorders begin October 4, 2023. Various sites are stating that it either ships or will be delivered by October 12, 2023.

The store page just says that promotional credits expire after 1 year. I received an email on October 11, 2022, stating that I had a $100 credit, so presumably it counts from that date? Does the credit get used at the time of pre-order (ie October 4, 2023), or not until the phone is shipped (when one's card would usually be charged, I believe)?

Basically I want to use this credit to buy a Pixel 8, but I'm worried that it'll be cutting it too close and I'll lose it.

you can go to the store, click on the credit and it will tell you when it expires

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

incogneato posted:

I swear that used to be the case, but I can't seem to make it work now. Clicking on the credit both from the main Settings page and the Orders page does nothing.

I get it from clicking on my picture, then on the credit from the drop down. That page says when the next expiration will be. I also feel like I've gotten emails from them when stuff was close to expiring too.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Interesting, the Pixel 8 Pro has a slightly lower screen resolution than the 7 Pro:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel-8-Pro,Google-Pixel-7-Pro/phones/12144,11907

I wonder how much of that reduction is going from the curved screen to the flat.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

8 pro got here today. This is nice but it's absolutely iterative over my 6 pro.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

smoobles posted:

Phones kinda became iterative instead of quantum leaps in like 2016 I think

This is true. The flat screen is much nicer than the previous.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

I still understand why they would, though. It's Pro, not XL. If it was just XL, then I would say yeah it doesn't make sense.

At the time I figured they were just copying apple with the name. On the 6/7Pro the extra camera hardware & bigger screen were the biggest/only differences. This is the first time they've gone hard on other capabilities.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

it tells you what time it is without you needing to take your phone out your pocket

and also what email/text you got. It does other things, but those two things are like 90% of what I use it for. Free is a good price for that.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

FunOne posted:

Yeah, I'm going to give this a decent try but so far I just don't get it.

Any reason to not use "full resolution"? The little explainer says "battery life" but that's literally every feature. Seems silly to run my display at a reduced resolution.

I changed it. Battery feels about the same as my 6 Pro, marginally better maybe. I know the adaptive battery is still doing its thing, so I expect it will get better.

I like a lot of the little changes (no curved screen!). I think part of the lukewarmness I feel is that this is my 6 pro with some subtle changes. My last 3 pixels were all different, so upgrading felt more substantial.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

I'm sure this is a 14 thing and not an 8 pro thing, but how do I see my notifications on the lock screen? All I get are the little icons with no information.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

settings/display/lock screen

make sure the privacy stuff on notifications hasn't turned itself on again, mine did

Its set to show everything. At least all the places I've found to look. All I get is:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

If you use face unlock with the skip Lockscreen option, you don't get Lockscreen widgets. It sucks but iiwii.
I knew it was a setting I hadn't considered. Thank you.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hooah posted:

Is the battery usage just... not showing which apps used battery anymore with Android 14?

You have to tap on the day and it'll give you the break down.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

I noticed since upgrading my P7P to Android 14 those automated texts with a one time use code arrive quicker than before, used to I often had to wait over 30 seconds to a minute, now they always arrive within 10 seconds. Has anyone else noticed something similar? I feel like it must be a phone side change, since it started happening right after the 14 update.

I haven't noticed a difference, but there is an option in the Messages app to delete them after 24 hours now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

the 8 Pro screen is so good. i'm so glad it lost the curved edges.

Yeah, the 8 isn't much different than my old 6, but this change made it worth it. The matte back is also really nice, and not nearly as slick.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Face unlock on the S23U (and other devices) is considered BIOMETRIC_WEAK or Class 2 in the Android API. If any developer only sets requirements for that biometric level when building their app, then you can use your face to unlock it.

And on the pixel 8 pro it's now level 3. Which is nice when logging in and there's enough light for the face unlock to work.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What country are you in son?

After losing patience with still no December update for my Pixel 8, I just side-loaded the OTA image. Last time I had to use this ADB magic was in 2010 with my HTC Desire - the internal storage was so meagre you could only get Android 2.3 or whatever on it by doing a full wipe of the phone with the factory image - and it's surprisingly easy to do and so much faster than a regular OTA update grabbed over Wi-Fi.

I'm surprised how little time it took to install - how come this is so much faster than the regular install process?

Yeah, once you get the USB drivers sorted out, its almost always faster for me to grab the ota image and sideload it than wait for the download to show up.

I know they said that "check for updates" was fixed, but it still never pops for me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When you can't access your work email because the security updates are behind it's already a problem.

Yes, but if your work expects you to be reading emails on your phone, they can get you something better than a $30 moto.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

bull3964 posted:

How is your phone supposed to change settings on a 3rd party piece of hardware?

These wearables show you notifications by having the ability to read notifications. These notifications exist whether or not DND is turned on. DND is downstream of the notification feed, affecting your phone's ability to surface notifications through its interface. 3rd party apps that have access to notifications have no idea if your phone is in DND or not, it's just reading the notification feed.

The pixel watches will sync dnd status now. So they're capable, but either Google hasn't opened that ability up to 3rd parties or Garmin hasn't implemented it. My guess is a lot of the former and a little of the latter.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

had a few issues with wired android auto disconnecting, think the usb c connector on the cable was a too long for the socket and it was acting to lever the connection out of place on mild jolts/knocks

started propping the charger end of my phone up a bit in the tray using a roll of mints so there's no tension on the cable, haven't had an issue since

probably eat those mints eventually though, only a short term fix

I've needed to replace the USB c cable I use for android auto multiple times. It got better when I stopped buying cheap mono price ones, but still needs done every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Circle to search has been rolled out to my Pixel 8 Pro.

Yeah, I accidentally triggered it this morning. Seems neat.