Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Carpet posted:

Has anybody else got the Pixel 7a?

Yes, had it since launch more or less. It's great. I was impressed looking at the Zenphone 10 that was mentioned earlier in the thread, but really the reason you get the Pixel line is you KNOW the software and software support is going to be solid. Which, since the hardware has flattened so much, is the main thing to care about these days it seems.

Maybe foldables becoming truly mainstream will change that and hardware will again matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bright Bart posted:

Thank you for helping brainstorm, everyone!

But most thanks to Desk Lamp because it worked! Verified it with my friend calling just now.

Get a call. Press volume bar to silence. Then swipe left (which I presumed would answer the call).

Popup removed, call still going and can be taken from the notifications, friend doesn't get sent to voicemail right away like when a call is decline.

Where do you swipe left from? Just anywhere on the call popup (that's not the accept/decline sliders)?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Carpet posted:

I've been using my new 7a for a week now, and while not having to worry about charging the battery three times a day is great, yeah the in-screen fingerprint sensor is dogshit compared to my 3a's rear one. I reckon it works 1/4 of the time, and I'm not totally certain that the one time it works it's actually using face unlock instead.

Typically it should get better as it learns your print. I've gotten used to holding my thumb there until it unlocks or fails, no quick taps like with my old back-of-phone reader. It has a solid hit rate once you get used to it I'd say. The biggest Achilles heel seems to be being outside with bright light. In that case I just pinpad it, although maybe covering the screen from the sunlight with my other hand would help?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

bull3964 posted:

Google has also said that on top of the 7 years of updates, they are committing to keep iFixit supplied with parts for 7 years.

That's really really good wow. They are making some major moves at changing the whole "Androids don't keep their value as well as iPhones" thing.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

butt dickus posted:

the hole punch still bugs me but it's not a line that goes through the middle of the screen. screen protectors bug me, too, which is why i choose not to drop my phone instead of using one and feeling that awful ridge

Good screen protectors go virtually to the edge of the screen and, especially the glass ones, are indistinguishable from the feel of the native screen underneath.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Alarbus posted:

This is why I use a cheap iphone as a work phone! Nothing work related on the personal phone so that when someone fucks up it doesn't wreck my stuff.

I left it as a wifi only device for a long time, I finally put service on it during a promo because I wanted to be available for work stuff while waiting in line for the kid's school stuff and doctor's appointments, but it was pretty good as wifi only and tethered.

You could do a cheap android phone too, but it was a bit harder to wrangle something with a long support window until recently.

I hope this is on the company dime, because gently caress providing your own phone for workstuff.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Additional: My Pixel 8 hasn't crashed since I got the November update last week, I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Ive had a Pixel 7A since launch a OnePlus 5T since launch before that (5 or so years), don't think I've had a single crash that entire stretch. Android seems to be pretty stable in general from my POV

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Branch Nvidian posted:

RCS messages on iOS will absolutely continue to be green, and even with the tech deficit gone the damage has already been done. The weird social pressure won't go away, kids (and adults sadly) will continue to get bullied over it. Apple is only doing this to try to stave off the EU forcing iMessage to be open, but they've already won the cultural perception war so very little will actually change regarding how the average person sees blue versus green bubbles.

Humans are so weird

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Just turn your adblockers off or get YouTube premium. I don't understand how 5-10 seconds of ads is such an impossible price to pay for all the amazing, often "grassroots" content on YouTube. Expecting all of that for $0 is just pure entitlement to me.

And in general across the web, it's not the 00's anymore, ads are much more well behaved now in general. The sites with the truly cancerous ads are the sites you don't want to visit anyway. Try going a week without an adblocker, it will be fine, I promise.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

butt dickus posted:

lol "it's not worth 50 cents a day but it's worth complaining about"
i watch a lot of youtube and it's def. worth it to not have to see any ads or worry about when my ad blocker will stop working or get me banned. i do use sponsorblock on desktop, though

lmao yeah he doesn't even hear himself

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

AlexDeGruven posted:

And your understanding of the current ad climate is woefully inadequate. Ad networks continue to be attack vectors, and also tend to STILL be really loving annoying, taking up bandwidth and overall making GBS threads up the entire experience.

Yes, and TV ads can be annoying and obnoxious too. But that is the price you are paying to consume the content, which was produced by other humans, and does not fall out of the air. Otherwise you are effectively stealing the content, or stealing the use of the content, to be pedantic. I'm not saying I'm some perfect saint, I still :filez: on occasion if media is very difficult to find through legitimate means. But to have "I never want to see an ad on this content I pay literally nothing for!" as a policy is utterly bewildering and like I said, entitled, to me.

Ok that's my last post on this derail please don't probe me

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Chikimiki posted:

Just got a Pixel 7a for cheap through Cyber Monday. Any recommended cases? :)

Spigen strikes a good balance between protection and bulk IMO. I don't fear at all dropping my phone on hard surfaces but also can still slip my phone into most every (men's clothing) pocket I have.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Skarsnik posted:

Unless you need to switch to a different card theres no need to open the wallet app to pay

holy poo poo gently caress me this explains why I get so many failed payments as I fumble to open the app...

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Scam Likely posted:

Just got a Pixel Fold and it's pretty sweet. Coming from a Galaxy S22 it's been taking some getting used to, but I really have been enjoying it.

My biggest gripe right now is the photos app. Samsung had a simple Gallery app where you could drag files and folders around to organize pretty seamlessly. Google Photos seems extremely restrictive and just sort of shows whatever was touched last regardless of the file structure. It also seems really aggressive about users putting all their files onto the cloud, which sucks because I prefer my personal images to remain offline.

Anyway, is there a decent photos app for Android that doesn't suck? I don't need an AI scraping every pixel.

use Gallery Go by Google (also known simply as "Gallery")

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've also adopted an 80's/90's Sony Sports Walkman aesthetic.

Glorious.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

teethgrinder posted:

I'm ... embarrassed. I thought my USB-C port was broken for half a year, after I put my weight on the connection when the phone was charging in my bed. Turns out it was actually ...just packed densely with pocket lint.

How did you get it out?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Uthor posted:

Just got a Pixel 7a and within minutes realized how I'm so used to swiping down on the fingerprint reader on the back of my Pixel 4a to see my notifications. I didn't even think about how I do that. Let's see how long not being able to do this annoys me...

Haha same with me but I came from a OnePlus 5T. It gets better, hang in there.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Resdfru posted:

I just swipe down from anywhere on screen to see notifications and up from anywhere on screen to open app drawer. Is that a android thing or a Samsung thing? https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/opening-the-notification-panel-by-swiping-anywhere-on-the-screen/

That's a homescreen thing, but it's nice to be able to do it from anywhere (even in other apps), without needing to reach your thumb to the top of the phone.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Capitalizing the first word of the sentence is like an extension of the period. It helps delineate sentences from each other at a glance. It's so regular and predictable that auto-capitalization has existed... forever? Without it, blocks of text begin looking more like walls of text. To deliberately turn it off to appear more hip is... interesting.

That said people who use full punctuation in texting will forever weird me out and probably deserve Punishment.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Uthor posted:

With SwiftKey, putting in a punctuation autocompletes the word and adds a space. Using punctuation is faster for me!

Edit: and autocapitalizes the next word!

What I mean is texting like this:

code:
me: hey where are u
weirdo: I'm here at the entrance.
me: on the north side?
weirdo: Yes by the food trucks.
If your texts are just single thoughts/sentences anyways, the period is implied, you don't need to put it. It makes the tone weird IMO.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Maybe the iPhone-havers are right, maybe we're not worth communicating with :gbsmith:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I haven't tried eSIMs yet but I introduced my frequently-out-of-country parents to Airalo after hearing about it here and they love it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

teethgrinder posted:

Still sold me on wireless charging though.

Same here, not needing to cycle a pressed fit coupling just to charge the phone is awesome and is just as much a benefit as the convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

CRAYON posted:

Getting actual artists to show off their generative tools is some villain poo poo.

U mad? They are still just tools at the end of the day, it's not like AI knows what sounds good to the human ear. People probably freaked out about the synth in a similar way.