Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

so was there no September pixel update?!

Got the September patch today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

smoobles posted:

The Zenphone 10 battery life is insane... I'm at 64% after a full day of use. :stare:

I've noticed my Snapdragon 8 Gen2 OnePlus 11 also gets pretty stellar battery life, at least compared to my Pixel 7 Pro. It seems like a really good chip and it probably helps that the Zenfone is running a smaller 1080p display instead of QHD.

I really hope the G3 in the Pixel 8 comes close in terms of efficiency, or they use a less power hungry display.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Carpet posted:

Has anybody else got the Pixel 7a? I'm thinking of replacing my 3a as the battery is terrible these days, and it is starting to struggle performance-wise. I think I might have to bite the bullet and get over the fact they aren't bringing back the rear fingerprint sensor or headphone jack. Currently got a 15% Local Guide discount I can apply as well.

The 7a is currently on sale in the Google store for $444 (in the U.S. anyways), BUT the regular 7 is also on sale for $449. Just Google being Google. If you're not waiting for the 8, the regular 7 seems like the way to go.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

blunt posted:

October 4th.

I just sold my Pixel 7a because I found the battery life to be awful for the 3 months I had it - hitting 10% power at 3.5-4hrs screen time (on 60hz) - much worse than the 2 year old 4a5g it replaced. My replacement (a refurb'd Xperia 1iv) is seeing me comfortably get to the end of the day with 30%+ left but boy do I miss some of the pixel-exclusive stuff like call screening.

Dang, I thought the 6-ish hours I got on my P7P was lame. That would be unacceptable to me as well. Hopefully Tensor 3 and the new displays bring some stamina improvements. Of course I'm not going to wait to find out and will be ordering the 8 Pro the first day because I am very smart.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Also saw this. I wonder if it will be location specific again. I don't think we got the free watch in the U.S. last year, but rather credit which heavily discounted the watch. Personally I don't need another watch, they can keep it and discount the phone.

https://twitter.com/Za_Raczke/status/1706278725673726203?t=M8Aq38SPixHSZFj_1Y07aQ&s=19

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

All the colors are lame this year. :(

Edit: terrible page snipe but I guess this applies to all phones as there's even rumblings in the iPhone thread about lame phone colors outside of the titanium phones.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Someone got their hands on a Pixel 8 Pro already.
https://youtube.com/shorts/fsAUjOqnOm0?si=wccvoJ0MMNQhobzT

According to the poster, it retains the optical fp scanner. Might still use the same GN1 sensor for the main camera as well. I personally am just super hyped for the new display and it looks like the G3 might be a pretty decent SoC this year.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

repiv posted:

strange, leakers seemed pretty sure it was going to an ultrasonic sensor and they got everything else right

maybe they tested ultrasonic and then switched back to optical

Yeah it is a little odd after all the rumors we've seen over the past few months. I don't know that YouTube channel, and there's a chance they're mistaken, but they seem to have a lot of content so they very well could know what they're talking about.

If they've improved the speed and accuracy even a little bit I'll be perfectly happy. Optical scanners can work extremely well.

I can see people complaining about the main camera sensor if it doesn't get a hardware upgrade, but this is Google after all. They tend to hold onto image sensors for a bit. But I know that in some people's minds it will be evidence that Google is unserious about hardware or something and can't compete with iPhone or Samsung.

The real seller for me remains flat screen. If the panel and SoC end up both being more efficient in terms of power consumption we could be in for a nice battery improvement. Also, frosted back glass? Hell yeah sign me up.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any particular leaks on the G3? All I've seen is generic stuff that could have been written a year ago.

Just speculation based on supposed synthetic benchmarks.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Googl...s.756901.0.html

Around 20% higher than G2, about on par with the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1. Which isn't awful really. I never expected it to be at the level of the 8 Gen 2. I'm more interested in efficiency gains personally.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Good effort post that sums up a lot of what we've been seeing the last couple days.

There's also reddit rage over the exynos 5300 modem but I honestly thought reception and performance of my P7Pro was pretty good. It holds onto a voice/data connection better than my snapdragon OnePlus 11 at my work (a huge hospital that is very antagonistic towards cell reception). Good enough even that I never have to use the public Wi-Fi here anyways. Some of that may be due to antenna design of course.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Google declined my free trip damnit!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

$420 trade in value for a 256GB P7P. Hmm.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blurb3947 posted:

Last year seemed to have better trade in values. They offered me $520 for an iPhone 12 mini for the P7. They only offer $325 for the P7 this year.

They actually quoted me more for a 64GB iPhone 12 I bought earlier this year for less than 400 dollars than my Pixel 7 Pro lol

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A base 64GB iPhone 11 (not pro, or max) nets you more in trade-in than a 1 year old Pixel 7 Pro and that just feels kind of wrong to me. No loyalty to returning customers?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

TVGM posted:

I'm seeing $450 trade-in for a Pixel 7 256 GB at Best Buy. $325 on Google's store. But you can't trade-in for the P8 Pro 512GB model :shrug:

$550 for the 7Pro 256 at Best Buy as well. Makes the Google store offer seem even more shameful.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like the new Android 14 lock screen styles. The vertical info theme on the AOD looks very sharp. Also, is predictive back still something that needs to be enabled in developer options? I thought that was going to be a system wide thing on the public version but I haven't noticed it in action.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

incogneato posted:

What's this?

If you go into Wallpaper & Style menu, then choose the Lock Screen button near the top, you can swipe on the image of the lock screen to change styles. There's one with the date/time aligned vertically on the sides. I think it looks neat.

Edit: looks like

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 5, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I've been using that one since I hopped on the beta.

It looks really nice! Also we're having lovely weather in Michigan for October as you can see. Which will be ending in the next day or two. Bummer.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Alarbus posted:

Ugh, this doesn't work if you have a persistent notification that makes the clock small. Whomp whomp

Is my clock small or your clock small? I only ask because Wavelet is always in my notifications but it doesn't show on the lockscreen.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Alarbus posted:

(Also, going to have Follow forever, kiddo is T1D, and that lets me see the sugar from his sensor)

Ah, I got you. I have my phone set to hide silent notifications, but in your case, it's probably a notification that's good to have front and center.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

So thanks to the couple of impressions in this thread I picked up the Xperia 1 V (especially since it went on a small sale we don't officially get the Pixel series) and I'm loving it so far in these first days. Enjoy the control I have in shooting, but I'm wondering, what are people using to edit photos? If I use the editor from the camera's gallery, I get some sort of Google Photo fork, which is okay, but I'd like something more powerful on the phone if possible. I guess I could also export the photo to a computer but I don't want to do that for every photo.

If you just want something free to mess around with there's still Snapseed. It's a lot of filters but also gives you control of brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. Let's you tweak individual RGB curves. I suppose something like Lightroom would be more appropriate for serious work but I am not a Serious Photographer.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Got great battery life on my Pixel 7 today, I reset to factory settings a few days after Android 14 dropped as I was getting a lot of UI stuttering. Can't compare it directly to Android 13 since it didn't have the screen on time since last full charge metric.

Hopefully the battery lasts a lot longer in work tomorrow when I'll be in 5G.

Any idea why YouTube has so much background activity? I have it restricted under App battery usage.

I was just thinking yesterday my Pixel 7 Pro was getting unusually good battery life but I attributed it to trying out Firefox with adblock as opposed to stock Chrome.

3hrs25min Screen-On time today and just hit 69% (nice).

Edit: Also YouTube almost always seems to show some ridiculous background time even if I watch like 20 minutes of video during the day.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I saw a Samsung s23 in person and gently caress, it's the perfect size... I'm half tempted to cancel my pixel 8 order because it's so tiny

Aren't they like...the same size?

Edit: The Pixel is 4.3mm taller which seems insignificant to me personally, but the camera bar does stick out more.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 9, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've noticed several threads on the Pixel subreddit from P6/7 owners claiming their phones are running cooler with longer battery life since Android 14. I'd still like to see some empirical evidence to such claims though. I feel like I've been getting home at the end of the day with maybe 10-15% more charge but that could very well be based on a multitude of factors.

https://www.androidpolice.com/android-14-fixes-heat-battery-issues-pixel-7-6-report/

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

That's just confirmation bias and stuff like that gets posted every single update. Phones would be pushing 24h SoT if it were true.

I thought last year Pixel 6 owners were saying their phones were running hotter and getting worse battery life after A13. Maybe I'm misremembering, you are probably right though. Google didn't seem to stress any sort of background battery life improvements with A14 that I know of, and if it was significant they'd probably have mentioned that.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 9, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

If you use face unlock with the skip Lockscreen option, you don't get Lockscreen widgets. It sucks but iiwii.

I used to always use the option to skip the lockscreen with face unlock on my P7P but a few weeks back I changed it to require the swipe/lock symbol tap and I actually much prefer it that way. Aside from having the notification widgets right there, I realized I didn't want to jump into the homepage every time I looked at the phone.

Oddly enough, I don't like this behavior on my iPhone and wish I could skip its lockscreen. I think it's because it's pickier about where it requires the swipe-up action (from the very bottom of the display, otherwise it just thinks you want to scroll through notifications even if there are none).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That shadow on your finger in the thumbnail makes it looks like you had one of those OSHA mishaps that involves finger slicing.

Unrelated. My OnePlus 11 is still on the August 5 security update. After initially starting strong with updates, I find their bi-monthly update strategy lacking. Shame really; for the discounted price I bought the phone at launch and the performance and battery life it provides, it's a really decent phone that I quite enjoyed using for a while. I have to put a foot down firmly in the team-pixel camp, whatever minor shortcomings their phones have. My beloved OnePlus 7 Pro will never be replicated, and as odd as it sounds, that's a device that I've had a true affinity to since I bought it in 2019. OnePlus should have made more 7 Pro's and kept pushing the boundaries.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

$800 trade for OnePlus 11 and $200 off the device itself if you preorder. ]

That's pretty wild. I got my 256GB for $699 at launch.

EDIT: WHOA

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 19, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Wait, what?

I...I don't know.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Well I didn't plan on buying a folding phone today but I guess I did.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

That is 100% a glitch because the trade in bonus is $500 on top of the base $300 they are giving in trade. I can reproduce the glitch now if I were to go through the checkout process, but I can't cancel my original order anymore so I can't swap out.

By all means pull the trigger, but don't be surprised if they come back and say your trade is only valued at $800 rather than $1300.

Hmm. Wonder if I should cancel the order. A 300 dollar folding phone is a no-brainer, but at 800 dollars it's not something I really need.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure. They may honor it, they may not.

I don't really feel like chancing it and just cancelled. It's very weird, still showing $1300 for a trade in (on a 700 dollar msrp phone). Maybe I'll check back later.

E: People on reddit are starting to notice the extra 500 dollar mystery bonus, with some people paying 0 dollars at order with a trade-in. This all seems very sus.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 19, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

OnePlus fixed their website so it's no longer offering insane trade-in bonuses. Will be interesting to see how they handle the orders that already went through. Honestly, I'm kind of relieved I just cancelled my order almost immediately because I don't want to deal with any of their fuckup bullshittery.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah the 60hz cap in so many apps is one of the main contributors as to why I can't bring myself to daily my OP11 over my Pixel. The OP SOC should be markedly faster than the G2 but it sure doesn't feel like it with the lame framerates.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like this poster has already figured out what to do in case of an attempted mugging.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone else feel like Chrome just murders their battery life compared to other browsers? I like using Chrome, but it seems like it chews through battery compared to many other apps I use daily. Maybe because I don't have an adblocker on Chrome it spends resources rendering all that garbage? I know Firefox, and Samsung Internet even, with adblockers installed seem to be easier on the battery.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have no issues with the overall performance of Chrome on my P7P, other than I can't just add adblock plus or ublock or whatever the flavor of the week is. But I browse a webpage for 5 minutes and suddenly Chrome is #1 in battery usage in the battery settings page. The Samsung browser actually seems to run pretty well despite being very OneUI themed. Click on settings and there's an ad-blocker button with toggles for various adblockers. It's the very antithesis of Chrome.

Edit: Why? What is Chrome doing that it uses the same amount of juice in 11 minutes as another browser does in 45?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 14, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

there are some nice things about ios, face unlock/authenticate is fast and accurate as hell. but overall it feels so slow and unresponsive with too many ui inconsistencies or hurdles to use efficiently compared to (pixel/stock) android. not having a universal swipe-to-go-back function means every app has to implement either a swipe down or swipe from the side or tap an x or whatever the developer feels like. also notifications are still extremely bloated, cluttered, and basically unusable. i'll literally get multiple notifications from a single app that, when opened, will only clear a single notification instead of all of them. this is for a single message thread mind you.

I've done some iPhone tourism with a regular 12. I really like the form and build and think the flat steel sides feel great. For a phone a few generations old, it works like a champ and still has great battery life with its original battery at 88% health. But the lack of the back gesture threw me through a loop and my brain never adapted to it. I feel like I can navigate through my Pixel so much faster and easier than iOS. I suppose its a non-issue for people that have been using iPhones for a long time, but it just seems like one of those quality-of-life things that Android does so much better. I also thing think the settings menu looks a lot more polished.

The FaceID is magical though, especially since they added the ability to use it with a mask which is super important to me as I still mask in the hospital I work in.

bull3964 posted:

Cheers from Iceland. I took this last night with my Pixel 8 Pro. It wasn't even astrophotography mode, just standard 6 second night sight, handheld.

That's pretty. I take it you're up north away from the angry volcano ground?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a way to have the Google One VPN turn on automatically when I connect to certain WiFi networks? Or do I have to toggle it on and off every time. Pixel 7 Pro btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I am some sort of caveman that still pulls the card out of my wallet and taps. Sometimes I even use the chip reader.