Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Checking in to say my Xperia 1 V still owns and I tried to use my iPhone again for like a day and I hated it. Congratulations Sony, you finally did it.

Also I got my brother an A54 5G, and despite him being annoyed that it's not a high end device, it seems to be working well for him. Funny that he'll have more years of software support from Samsung than I will from Sony even though his device cost $1000 less than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

LOL I was in the Samsung store and asked to see the A54 so that I could report back to my friend.

The employee helping me was not not keen on recommending my friend place an order. 'It's just not a premium device' he said. I told him yeah but for a mid-range phone is has some premium features like a glass back. He just tapped on said back and said 'yeah but it's cheap glass'.

I think it's Corning Glass 5 and I don't know if they make it any different for high-end versus mid-range devices. The reviews are fine to stellar.

But your brother isn't the only one who sees the A and gets turned off. (I have an S because I prefer smaller smartphones and also I am bad with money.)

Yeah it's gorilla glass 5 on the front and back, which is fine. The store employee probably gets better commission on S-series device sales I'd imagine. Of course also in my brother's case I bought it and he needed a device to use, so beggars can't be choosers, etc.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Artelier posted:

Can I get more impressions of the Xperia 1 V please? Eyeing this phone because:
- I love photography, and their lens + manual mode seems like a beast
- It's not so cookie cutter, at least in terms of design

But I do have a few qualms:
- Not sure how good the UI/OS and battery life are
- The "out of the box auto mode" photography seems to range from great to iffy and I'm wondering how much it'll bother me that I can't take a snap quickly

Also it's very expensive so I'm not sure if there are other considerations. If I get it, it'll probably be the most expensive phone I've ever bought.

Alternatively considering the Zenphone which is considerably cheaper and everything but photography is top tier. The Mi 13 Ultra is another one that seems good but for a phone that's being pushed as a camera powerhouse, it doesn't.....seem that great, especially the selfie camera.

So I can tell you that it is very much a "creator" oriented phone. I'm honestly not much of a photographer, but the 21:9 aspect ratio screen with no hole punch or notch and front firing speakers were a big consideration for me as a media consumer. It's unmistakably a Sony device, it's exactly what one would imagine Sony would make, so in a lot of ways it's kind of like an Android-based successor to the iPhone 4/4S (which internal documents from Apple showed they were trying to make what they thought Sony would design).

The UI/OS is fine. It's almost stock Android, so if you've used a Pixel and found that enjoyable or serviceable then the Xperia is no different. There are a few added Sony things, namely the "Side Sense" shortcut that lets you assign a few things to gestures. Battery life, despite having a "4k" screen is shockingly good. I tend to be a pretty heavy user with streaming HQ music from Tidal or watching youtube on cellular and the battery easily lasts me all day. The first 10% of the battery or so seems to drain really fast but then it levels off after that. On a few occasions I've gotten it down to 10% after a day of extremely heavy use, but I've yet to have it actually run out of juice on me.

The out of the box auto mode is fine, IMHO. Again, as someone who isn't a real photographer I'm not sure I can really give you the details you're hoping for, but I can say that I can pull the phone out of my pocket, press+hold the camera button to launch directly into it, and snap pictures of my cats and be perfectly fine with the quality. There is less algorithmic/computational stuff going on even in the basic mode, and none in the more advanced modes.

I hope that was the kind of information you're looking for. I'm happy to provide any other impressions you might be interested in.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

blunt posted:

Battery life has been fantastic too, but YMMV on the V cos different chipset etc.

Fwiw according to accubattery, my 1 V's battery life is 11 hours screen on, 48 hours screen off, and 25 hours combined. From everything I've read the 1 V tends to have better battery life than the 1 IV due to a more efficient chipset, but also individual use habits likely guide this more than anything else.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Artelier posted:

So thanks to the couple of impressions in this thread I picked up the Xperia 1 V (especially since it went on a small sale and we don't officially get the Pixel series) and I'm loving it so far in these first days. Enjoy the control I have in shooting, but I'm wondering, what are people using to edit photos? If I use the editor from the camera's gallery, I get some sort of Google Photo fork, which is okay, but I'd like something more powerful on the phone if possible. I guess I could also export the photo to a computer but I don't want to do that for every photo.

I think Light Room is the generally preferred application for editing photos. There is a non-paid version on the Play Store. Glad to hear you're enjoying the phone so far!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

You can buy one now from Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-xperia-1-v-256gb-5g-unlocked/6544417.p?skuId=6544417

Unless you meant sale as in discount, but Sony won't do that until the VI is out.

Pretty sure they meant discount. Sony has already done a minor sale on the black 1 V about a month ago, green one didn't get a discount. About $200 off iirc.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

Whoops. Yes, I should have said "a sale." I saw the phone + earbuds + $50 Sony Store credit preorder promo, but I have only seen it go down $100 temporarily since it launched.

I am seriously considering importing the silver 1 V from Europe, supported bands be damned, since most of my usage is with wifi anyway. I don't care too much about the missing 5g bands, but I use Google Fi/T-mo and I think band 71 is used for LTE service in most of the midwest. I would probably run into service issues when trying to visit friends and family.

Weirdly, the EU and SEA models all have unlocked bootloaders, too, so you can flash US modem files. The US model is locked. :confused:

Yeah I don't know why the bootloader is locked on the US variant, but what can ya do? As far as supported bands, yes the SEA/EU versions lack band 71 which is used by T-Mobile for 5G and LTE coverage, though the Kimovil band checker says that Google Fi doesn't use that T-Mobile band for some reason? Likewise, Wifi calling works on Google Fi, but does NOT work natively on T-Mobile or Verizon for whatever reason; this is true for all variants of the 1 V and you cannot force enable it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Indeed, I am stuck with Fi for a bit longer if I want to get the max usage from the phone. I did not know Fi supposedly doesn't use that band, however. Sure would hate to buy the phone only for Google to outright cancel Fi shortly after. Been using it since 2015 and considered switching to Visible, but will stay if I grab a phone from Sony.

I think I misstated in my previous post, Google Fi doesn't use 71 for 5G, but it does use it for 4G.

Since Visible uses the same bands as Verizon, with an SEA/EU variant you'd have 3 of the 7 5G bands and all of the 4G bands available to you, while the NA model has 5 of the 7 5G bands (no mmwave on any 1 V models). Something else to maybe keep in mind is that the XQ-DQ62 (NA) and XQ-DQ72 (SEA) variants support dual SIM cards but no eSIM, while the XQ-DQ54 variant (EU) is the only one that supports eSIM.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Linus is an idiot though

Yeah, Linus being unable to do something isn't an accurate indicator of anything. He's demonstrated a complete lack of ability to even follow explicit directions.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sourdough posted:

My Pixel 8 had a speck of dust somewhere under the glass cover, so I exchanged it in store at a Best Buy. This apparently counted as returning it, so they canceled the Pixel 7 trade in for $450 and are shipping it back. Very cool lol

Lmao these trade-in programs can be so hosed sometimes. A friend of mine traded their Pixel 4a in on a Samsung A54 through Samsung, since they were offering $150 for it. Upon receipt Samsung claimed that the Pixel 4a wasn't an eligible trade-in device because it was the 4G variant and not the 5G one, which is a completely different device. The "Pixel 4a 5G" wasn't even an option on the trade-in page, just "Pixel 4a." My friend called Samsung about it and they gave them the credit anyway.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm joining the Xperia 1 V club! :toot: Been checking Swappa, Sony, Amazon, Focus, B&H, and Adorama for a couple of months now. Secondipity apparently has the refurb contract with Sony because they are the only other retailer(besides Sony) I have seen with the green US model. They're selling them for $500 off on eBay at the moment. Added the listing to my watch list yesterday and they sent an offer of $719 today--basically half off. Plus, 2-year Allstate warranty instead of the factory 1-year.

Congrats, I hope you end up loving yours as much as I do mine, and that's a hell of a discount too.

Your preferences might be different from mine regarding cases, but I've got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Zero One and the Sony Official Case with Stand for mine and I much prefer the Sony case. It's not as protective, but it adds just enough extra depth to the phone to make it easier to hold and the kickstand on it is great. The Spigen one, for some reason, lacks a nub in the upper corner by the camera module so it still kind of rocks when laid on its back on a table and the camera shutter button cover makes using the two-stage function more difficult, but it is far more protective of the device. If you get the Spigen case it's way cheaper on Amazon than it is going through Spigen's site, but the Sony one is about the same regardless of where you buy it.

Edit: there is also a way to force Wi-Fi calling to work, which seems to be pain point for people with this device. The solution doesn't seem to work on T-Mobile and doesn't need to be done on Google Fi, but if you're on anything else it should work without a problem, though does have to be redone anytime there is an update for the device. It doesn't involve :filez: but it does involve going into developer options and using third party apps to trick the device. Not sure if that's allowed in this thread, so not posting it here unless I'm specifically told it's okay.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 11, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sony's OOS on the green case so I ordered it from NGP Store on Amazon just to have something. I wanted to check out the Devilcase here (fitting room is second link at the top of the page, then choose manufacturer and model from dropdowns) but you need to spend about $92 US to get free shipping from Taiwan. One case is about $32 and then $65 for intl shipping. Three cases and a few sets of extra buttons would be right around $94 because it hits the $3000TW threshold for shipping. If you (or anyone else) wants to go in on a Devilcase order, let me know! Thought about asking you and the other recent 1V buyer, but iirc, they aren't in the US because the Pixel is not available in their country.

I think I already know what you're referring to in regards to WiFi calling (Pixel IMS?) but I have been with Fi for about 8 years now. Ditched the idea of importing a silver one because I got mixed messages whether flashing NA modem files on EU or other models required an unlocked bootloader or not. The thread on XDA says no unlocked bootloader and then proceeds to give directions on how to unlock the bootloader... Absolutely don't want to unlock the bootloader because I doubt I'd be able to use my banking apps afterwards.

Think the only thing I am actually gonna miss is not having call screening for the three or four times/month I get a spam call. We'll see.

Good looking out! Hit me up if you decide you really want a custom Devilcase with the supreme logo as "Suckme," capybaras with yuzu, or any of the extraordinarily lovely choices based on American culture.

Yeah, the Pixel IMS trick is what I was talking about. I've looked at the Devilcases before, but they honestly don't look like anything special to me other than being able to get a case with a custom anime waifu or Badz-Maru on it. I know the folks on the Xperia subreddit seem to love them though, so there must be something to it. If there is a third buyer interested then I'll go in with you on it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't see any problem with this, as long any possible risks are made clear (bricking, warranty-violating, whatever).

Good to know. Don't need to in this instance since them being on Google Fi makes it a moot point.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 12, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

North American models of Xperia 1 V got Android 14 today. I can barely tell a difference other than toggles look a little different and swiping to go back has a different icon for the arrow. Seems fine I guess!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RCS messages on iOS will absolutely continue to be green, and even with the tech deficit gone the damage has already been done. The weird social pressure won't go away, kids (and adults sadly) will continue to get bullied over it. Apple is only doing this to try to stave off the EU forcing iMessage to be open, but they've already won the cultural perception war so very little will actually change regarding how the average person sees blue versus green bubbles.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Resdfru posted:

There are a few people in the iPhone thread here either commending the fact that it's staying green or wishing it was some ridiculous color/color combination to make people even more ostracized.

I guess they wouldn't get to feel superior to people if all the chat bubbles were the same color

If it wasn't for the fact that I've seen these same statements made, seemingly unironically, in other places like the MacRumors forums I'd just assume they were all being made as jokes here.

Bright Bart posted:

What's the reasoning if it's not just for jokes?

I'm not going into that thread.

e: I could see someone actually seriously thinking that the more ostrasized Android users become the sooner they'll switch to iPhones and that will benefit everyone.

Humans are deranged. The people who place emphasis on whether someone is using an iPhone or an Android device, to the point of allowing that determine who they will or won't associate with, even more so. So I fully expect the "green bubble stigma" to exist long after RCS implementation in iOS, as it clearly delineates to the iOS user whether someone is "poor" or not.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure they were all joking, although one of the suggestions was teal which would be rad. I feel like the "bullying over green bubbles" poo poo is so overhyped, like kids eating tide pods or whatever, because I have nine nieces and nephews, none of which care about the bubble color. Most kids probably didn't care about the bubble color until techtubers and tech sites started rambling about it. My nieces and nephews are all much more interested with spamming temu links to everyone they know. I wasn't allowed to send a text message until after I was in college, so the thought of them sending temu and aliexpress links to my parents is well beyond bizarre. The same people who used money orders for eBay auctions until like 2006 now let their grandkids use their credit cards for roblox and I don't even know what is real anymore.

My only pushback on this is back in like 2014 or 2015 at my previous place of work, some of my coworkers literally bullied another coworker to the point that he caved and got an iPhone so they'd stop giving him constant poo poo for green bubbles. The other Android users I knew there literally couldn't be bothered to give a poo poo if it "broke the experience" for the iPhone users if someone tried to text them, but this one guy was able to be pressured over it. Was pretty hosed up.

quote:

1.) Sometimes, when the Gboard or numpad is open for PIN entry, the screen shifts everything so far upward that I can't see what I'm typing anymore. I restarted the phone and haven't been able to recreate the issue. Probably 21:9 weirdness with the lock screen.

2.) If I increase the brightness from about 90% to 91%, there's a slightly noticeable step up across the entire screen. It is smooth going from minimum brightness to about 90%, then once 91% hits, it flashes momentarily, and then it's smooth up to 100% again. I'm usually looking at ~30% brightness indoors and 100% outside in direct sunlight, so it isn't a big deal, but I did notice it looking for bugs.

3.) 3.5mm jack is not deep enough to support stereo microphones. Think this means you need to use this 3.5" LCD monitor's 3.5mm input for stereo microphone recording. Alternatively, and probably significantly cheaper, you could use a wireless stereo transmitter via USB-C.

4.) Not a bug, per se, but the LED when using the flashlight is pretty dinky due to the diffusor. The diffusor itself is actually quite nice and provides very even lighting across a reasonable distance. I was unable to create glare on glossy objects, whereas my bright Pixel 3 light creates a michael bay-sized lensflare on anything not as matte as a black hole. The downside is that it isn't focused, making it poor for general flashlight usage.

1. Never had that happen, but sometimes I do have an issue where the keyboard covers the username or password box and the app or page i'm on won't allow me to scroll up far enough to see it.

4. I have noticed this also. I wish the LED was bit more focused for flashlight use, but I understand this isn't the intended use as far as Sony is concerned.

quote:

Even weirder is that, I guess since the phone is the green model, the default theme is YOSPOS. [...] Am I dating myself by still being excited about them?

I like the green theme specifically because of the YOSPOS vibe it gives off. I normally just set a static background and select a color palette and run with it for a while. I don't think you're dating yourself by liking animated wallpapers though, some people just like them and that's fine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

That is pretty messed up. I can see caving into pressure if you're trying to share pics/videos with iMessage users on a regular basis because they're getting potato quality media on their end. On the Android end, I feel like I just don't get their images at all half the time. I do think it's weird to get texts that say things like "Mitch liked an image" from my iOS friends, but it's barely worth fussing about.

Shortly after I joined Fi, so probably late 2015, my boss really liked my Nexus 6P and decided to switch to it from an iPhone. He was hardcore Apple dating back to the 90s and the business I worked for was Mac-centric, so I didn't expect it to go too well. Back then, you couldn't simply go to a website and dereg your number from iMessage. I think you still had to call Apple at the time and they would have someone chastise you for trying to get out of the ecosystem. He had so many messages not coming through that he returned the phone and bought another iPhone in frustration two days later. The system works, I guess. :shrug:

It happened while I was trying to log into the Awful app, too, which is why I mentioned Gboard. That must be it. Still haven't been able to recreate the issue.

Multi-window is :discourse: with this aspect ratio. I'm used to only being able to have Awful, a couple Firefox tabs, and Messages open before Android closed something to make room with my paltry 4GB RAM, so being able to open 2 grouped apps is incredibly useful. Really like the side sense shortcut, too, though I wish I could keep it enabled while disabling the small white outline of the bar.

Now that you have your phone, if you decide to order a Devilcase send me a PM and I'll go in on a set with you.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Android 14 has introduced a bug to my Xperia 1 V which is becoming more and more frustrating, curious if the other 1 V users have encountered it yet. With the AOD on if I press the power button to wake the device, the screen just goes black. It reads my fingerprint and unlocks because I can hear it make the unlock sound, and if I press the button again I can hear it make the lock sound. Sometimes this clears up by me just putting it face down and picking it back up so the proximity sensor can tell there is nothing in front of it, but that doesn't always work and sometimes I just have to wait for it to decide the display should turn on again.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

Just got a Pixel 7a for cheap through Cyber Monday. Any recommended cases? :)

As Pvt. Parts suggested, Spigen in general make quality cases and they have a couple sub-brands like Caseology. I usually like the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Zero One for neat kinda x-ray like look and the Caseology Paralax and Nano Pop cases are always really slick looking. I also recommend Spigen's tempered glass screen protectors, but always buy their stuff on Amazon instead of direct from their site since Amazon's prices are like 1/3rd of Spigen/Caseology's direct prices.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

"Google says bumpy Pixel 8 screens are nothing to worry about." - Ars Technica

lol, lmao even. Glad it's nothing to worry about, such as components pushing into the OLED panel.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Scam Likely posted:

The default Samsung Gallery app was really good at balancing file structure and content. I'll share if I find an app that has actual subfolder controls.

So this isn't really the best solution, but if you're in your return window why don't you just exchange the Pixel Fold for a Galaxy Fold instead?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

other people posted:

Today the power button on this pixel 5 has gone crazy and even brushing my finger passed it registers as multiple presses or as holding it down. It keeps popping up the camera or prompting to initiate some sort of emergency call. It sucks.

I have blasted it with compressed air and slapped it around a bit but so far this problem persists. It makes it almost unusable :/.

For fun I have looked at what other small, stock android phones there are with a good camera and there isn't much.

The latest sony xperia is still small but it costs €1000 which is a joke. And I can't help but remember the last xperia I had almost never received any updates and the sony addons were annoying, but maybe those things are better.

There is the latest pixel 8 which is not much bigger than the 5 but I'm really not a fan of the protruding camera strip and €800 is a bit steep.

I would buy a new pixel 5 but google never officially sold them here so even a reconditioned one is over €400 and that seems silly.

Sony's UI is very similar to the stock Pixel UI these days. Their "side-sense" shortcut overlay is really the biggest difference. Device support life is Sony's biggest failing though, as they only offer two years of OS updates and three years of security updates on their current "mark V" devices, and afaik "mark IV" and earlier only get two years of OS and two years of security updates.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I mean, that’s how you do it. You dump marketing dollars into discounts.

Just like if you buy a Samsung device for more than 40% of its MSRP, you dun hosed up.

Dollars into Discounts
Mistakes into Miracles

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

Maybe that's a Verizon thing. Now here's something odd. I have an unlocked Pixel from the Google store and use USMobile which is a Verizon MVNO, even shows Verizon as the mobile network. When I setup my Pixel 8 it took the liberty of installing at least one Verizon app which is completely useless to me, as I have a USMobile account, not a Verizon account.

Maybe carrier locked phones install even more of their crap?

They do. My grandfather had an A32 A51, or something similar, through Verizon. He did an update and a bunch of games and poo poo he'd never use just appeared on the phone, the increasingly weird and targeted ads he was getting in like the weather app didn't help things either. He's extremely tech-illiterate and it freaked him out so bad that my dad bought him an iPhone.

Any time I've gotten a carrier-locked phone, especially a Samsung one, the first thing I've done is replace the ROM on the device with the unlocked version. Of course this is no longer a problem as I just buy direct from the manufacturer now.

Guess it was at least still going on as of June of this year: https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-stop-installing-apps-without-permission/

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 21, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Delivery Jan 24 - Feb 1 😭. I wanted to get it set up while I have "time off". I guess I'll go to Best Buy and hope I make my mind up in the 14 days.

Best Buy has unlocked Pixels and any purchase before December 30th has until January 13th to return.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm seeing a disturbing amount of positive year-end press for Motorola phones. Do the reviewers not use them long enough to realize that the software support is abysmal, that Motorola has a history of lying about support windows, or are they afraid of making Motorola mad?

It's just weird to me that so much of the press acts like Motorola is a reasonable manufacturer, when the evidence is so damning that these positive stories feel like gaslighting.

Reviewers don't seem to use these things for more than about two-three weeks at a time and absolutely don't follow up on them year after year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had no idea how poo poo Motorola's support is. I will say that Mr. Mobile/Michael Fisher has mentioned it, but he continues to test and review their stuff.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rap Game Goku posted:

Yes, but if your work expects you to be reading emails on your phone, they can get you something better than a $30 moto.

Yeah I absolutely refuse to use my own personal device for work stuff. If I need to have access to my email or other resources when I'm not at work, then work needs to provide me tools to do so.

That said, this Sony is $1400 and I do expect frequent security updates for it, and Sony's own history shows it's kinda hit and miss about providing them. I don't really care about major OS updates so much as security patches and feature enhancements. UI overhauls just require me to change my workflow and that's a pain in the rear end.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I wish that were true! My ex a couple years ago gave me poo poo for being Android, and I have a coworker now that gives me poo poo for being back on iOS

I cannot conceive of actually, legitimately, giving a poo poo about whether someone else is using Android or iOS. It's fun to pick at the little things with the different platforms and their annoyances, but really it doesn't actually matter as long as they can make/receive calls and send/receive messages at all. People's brains are broken.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My entire family, with the exception of my brother, are all on iOS exclusively, which means they all notice when I’m using an android phone. Thankfully, none of us give a poo poo.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I was going to say, few people care until you can't participate in group chats and/or you end up using MMS. The good thing these days is that in the UK most people just use WhatsApp and the few Android users I know who don't are now pretty much all using RCS (though none realise the latter until I explain it to them).

I'm basically allergic to group chats that aren't on like Discord or IRC, and I'm lucky enough I guess that most of my contacts are luddites enough that MMS quality images/videos don't register to them as a problem. If you never know it can be better, you'll never complain that it's bad!

Anyway I've been switching back and forth between my Xperia 1 V and an iPhone 15 Pro Max for nearly the last month and I can't decide if I want to stick with the iPhone for the conveniences or return to just using my Xperia because I like the camera, weird aspect ratio screen, and front firing speakers. I have until the 8th to return the iPhone. The most first world or first world problems.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

this happens frequently when sending or receiving texts from people with iphones. repeated texts multiple times. idk if it's bc of poor reception or a network issue of some kind or what. it's hilarious but also ridiculous. and i always frame it as a problem with their phone anyway. technically it is the iphone's fault bc apple refuses to play nice outside of their own standards.

I've literally never had this happen to me or to anyone else I know. If it's happening with several other people it's more likely to be something on your end causing it. How old is your SIM card?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

A god among men

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

You make some good points but you have to do all this to send a text too, right? Minus the app part:

You get their phone number
Create a profile
Fill out the profile
Text in your text app

The only "extra" is to download the app which takes seconds. WhatsApp and Signal both automatically add contacts from your address book, just like your texting app does. I don't know what "create a pin" means so I'm ignoring it.

To send a text I just need their phone number. I put it in the to: field and I send them a message. They don't have to make a profile, fill out that profile, or create a pin (security pin to get into the app).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

other people posted:

Is the pixel 5 officially no longer receiving software updates? The google site says guaranteed updates ended October 2023. My phone last got an update in November. I am assuming there will be no more but I sort of expected some sort of notice about it. The wording of the google site certainly doesn't preclude them from continuing...

Anyway, assuming this phone is basically ded software wise, does anyone have a strong opinion on the zenfone 10 versus pixel 8? They are both €700. The pixel surely has a better camera but I mainly use a real one. It also supports esim but then esim.me exists. The zenfone is a wee bit smaller and doesn't have the dumb camera bar and I am tempted to try something new :shrug:

Pixel 5 is highly unlikely to receive any more updates, major or security. According to this page the Zenfone 10 will get up to 4 years of security updates https://zentalk.asus.com/t5/zenfone-10/update-policy-how-long-will-the-zenfone-10-be-getting-security/td-p/386480, while the Pixel 8 will get 7 years of major and security updates (I'm doubtful of Google living up to this).

I can't tell you which device is actually "better", just point you to YouTube phone reviewers and you'll have to take their opinions for what you think they're worth. Personally I'd probably get the ASUS, but I have a history of making bad decisions.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

Has Google not honored their update claims on previous pixels? Or is this just "haha Google gives up on things"? Because that wouldn't be relevant unless Google suddenly decides to ditch the entire Pixel line.

The latter. They've honored their update polices so far, but Google has a track record of canceling and/or backing out on things (take the Pixel Pass thing for example). It's my own personal cynicism that they won't live up to it, but I may also end up pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Just to further explain my cynicism is Apple, who is often praised for their device support longevity, has only ever provided as many as 6 major OS upgrades to any iPhone, and usually the last one or two upgrades shouldn't have happened because of hits to device performance. The iPad Air 2 got 8 OS upgrades and absolutely shouldn't have gotten those last two. I just find it hard to believe that Google will somehow manage to do better than that with device support, even if the Pixel 8 series are the only ones to ever get that long of a support promise. Perhaps Android is more flexible than OEMs have led us to believe with their excuses for cutting device support, and a Pixel 8 will run just fine in 2030 on Android 21, but I seriously have my doubts on Google, or really any other OEM, living up to these claims when Apple can't even do it for their "tightly integrated hardware and software "

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 6, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

other people posted:

I dunno. I originally used the same site to glance at the size comparison between the pixel 5 and zenfone 10 and I guess without zooming in I didn't appreciate the fatness of the zenfone compared to the pixel 5.

Now throwing the pixel 8 in there and it's main body depth is inbetween the others but the lol camera bump makes it basically 50% thicker than the pixel 5 which is a joke imho.

My beautiful wife has a pixel 6 and it is a giant with or without the bump. Definitely the 8 is better sized but still too big :colbert:

Now I am looking the xperia 5 V and IV. I used to have an xperia and it is still my favorite style but man they are so expensive...

I'll probably just end up with the pixel 8.

Can I interest you in the 1 V I have listed on Swappa?

Just remembered you're in Europe. Gonna be cheaper to buy local than for me to ship something from freedumbland

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 14, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’ve never used a Bellroy product, but I do remember seeing ads from them with George Costanza’s huge wallet, so I just assumed they were a meme company.

If I wasn’t such a Bullstap simp I’d check some of their stuff out.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Xperia 5 V should be small enough width-wise, but it will feel really tall due to the 21:9 aspect ratio. Sony's UI skin is extremely minimal, to the point that it just feels like stock Android but with a gesture widget thing called side-sense that lets you pull down the notification shade, activate split screen multi-tasking, or PIP mode. The camera is also fine, people make a big stink about it because doesn't have the same computational photography chops like iPhone or Samsung devices, but if you know how to use an actual purpose built camera, especially a Sony one, you'll be fine. If you don't know how to use a Sony camera it's easy enough to learn.

Couple of pictures taken at a Jimmy Eat World concert a couple days after I got an Xperia 1 V and I was still learning the camera’s quirks.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 16, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to buying a new phone through my provider (tmobile) vs standalone?

Disadvantage of getting a device through your carrier is a carrier customized ROM with any extra shitware they're getting kickbacks to put on your phone. Though in some instances a carrier variant will have specific radio hardware for bands the carrier's network uses while the factory unlocked one might not have those radio frequencies at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Solovey posted:

soooooo there's basically no reason for me to upgrade from my S20+ to the 24 series instead of a 23

Check trade-in offers. You might be able to get a “free” one after bill credits or something for trading in your S20+.