Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just wanted to mention I think you missed a line on the Pixels, and have text that seems to refer to the Fold following the Pro line.

And I don't know if you want to include it, but a note that Motorola (since they were bought by Lenovo) has worst-in-class support for their phones might be a good idea. If you care about updates at all, having a warning might be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know if you want to add this to the secondary note section, but it's a long-running evaluation of different phone manufacturers and how good they are about Android updates. It also supports that Motorola is just stunningly bad about updates, and has been for years now: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3687640/android-13-upgrade-report-card.html

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

Got the September patch today.

That prompted me to check again, and sure enough it was waiting for me, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Negostrike posted:

The impossible just happened.

My Motorola Edge 20 just got an upgrade to Android 13

Somewhere in Hell a devil is having to de-ice his windshield.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Got an issue with a Samsung a32 phone and wifi calling, it's just not working. Running on mint mobile, my pixel 3a does it just fine. Googling doesn't really help. Is this the thread to ask for suggestions, or is there a better one?

Are you sure your carrier allows it? Wifi calling is something carriers can allow/disallow on a per-model basis. My old Motorola One 5G Ace had wifi calling available on only 1 out of the 3 carriers I had it on, for instance.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inceltown posted:

Why do they block wifi calling on some models and not others? It seems like the sort of thing that should be all or nothing.

Because gently caress you, that's why.

Seriously, though, carriers do all sorts of poo poo for no apparent reason, or gate features behind postpaid plans presumably just to make way more economical prepaid plans less attractive. Want to use the voicemail transcription feature on a Pixel 6? Have to have postpaid Verizon - it's blocked on prepaid. poo poo like that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I turned off 2G on my phone, and have since been getting occasional notifications that my phone can't connect to the mobile network, usually while out driving around. Unfortunately I did this right after running the September update, so I'm not sure which one might be the root cause. Also, I only ever get the notifications on my watch - I haven't seen it happen on the phone itself.

Anyone else seen this kind of behavior? I figure I could try turning 2G back on even though I'd rather not since it isn't secure, but then I'd just be waiting to see if I got the notification again. I also thought about setting my phone to LTE only since 5G coverage is spotty here and I rarely have a need for it anyway.

I can't tell if I'm actually losing signal since it only happens when I'm driving around and can't pull my phone out to check, so I might just ignore it, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pvt. Parts posted:

Typically it should get better as it learns your print. I've gotten used to holding my thumb there until it unlocks or fails, no quick taps like with my old back-of-phone reader. It has a solid hit rate once you get used to it I'd say. The biggest Achilles heel seems to be being outside with bright light. In that case I just pinpad it, although maybe covering the screen from the sunlight with my other hand would help?

Yeah, my Pixel 6 rarely fails at this point, and if anything is more reliable than the rear sensor on my previous Motorola phone. Never had a problem with bright sunlight, but then again I'm a mostly nocturnal creature.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone else have several Google Play system updates available in a row? I upgraded to Android 14 on my Pixel 6 yesterday, and today thought I'd check to see if there were Play updates, and there was - 4 in a row. I'd install one, restart the phone, check again, find another update, rinse and repeat.

Do the Play updates function more old-school in that you have to install updates in order and I somehow just had a backlog? Or did they release several as a follow-on to Android 14?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I know something was funky with it right after 14 because I was stuck on July on my Fold and it would tell me that the update failed when I tried to download it. But today I was able to do two in a row and I'm up to September.

I'm pretty sure mine already showed it was on September throughout this whole string of updates, but I guess that's neither here nor there. I wish they made the Play updates a little easier to differentiate than just having a month attached to it. I mean, I'm sure there is a method to check the version more granularly, but :effort:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Resonance22 posted:

This happens to me whenever I manually check Play system updates in Security settings. I have no idea what's going on, but it feels like it just keeps looping in itself since the Last Updated [Month] 1, 2023 never actually changes or will even be blank for me. It doesn't seem to download or install anything, it just immediately wants me to reset 2-4 times.

Not for me - the ones today were all different sizes and took appropriately different amounts of time to download.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The WearOS thread is slower, I think, partly because a lot fewer people have WearOS devices than Android devices. Also, there is just less news about and fewer updates for WearOS than for Android, so there is just less to drive conversation.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

THF13 posted:

Motorola MA1 for about a year and a half and it has been solid.
AA starts up quickly and it reconnects quickly if it disconnects. Happens time to time without it being a big deal.

Quirks: Rarely it will disconnect frequently during a trip, manually swiping background apps seems to help so I'm not sure this is an issue with the adapter.
Twice in the year and a half I've had it it just refused to connect, with no combination of power cycling my phone, the device, my car, or reconnecting and repairing would make it connect. Solution was both times to clear the Android Auto app data on my phone and then repair it. Nothing changing on my end triggered that weird failure, one of the times it happened was when I stopped for gas.
MA1 doesn't have a method to update firmware as far as I know, so it may be simpler but maybe runs the risk of becoming obsolete in the future.

Huge quality of life improvement over wired android auto, strongly recommend.

I've had an MA1 since January, and it is generally great. There can be a lag of a minute or so from when the car starts and Android Auto kicks in, but I think at least some of that is my car's built-in maps and such to finish loading before it replaces them with AA.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

isndl posted:

My P6 updated to Android 14 and now whenever I try to open an app from my home screen there's what feels like a 30% chance it just doesn't open and I'm left staring at my background wallpaper until I swipe up to pull my home screen up again. Not sure if it's Android or Nova launcher causing problems.

Guess I should see if there are any launchers worth swapping to anyways, it's been years since I landed on Nova.

I also have a P6, and yesterday I had the phone app hang pretty bad on me, of all things. In my case it appeared to happen right around when the phone was deciding if it should be in light or dark mode, so it's possible I ran into a glitch because of that. Restarted the phone and it's been fine since. I'm using the stock launcher and don't add anything to Android or tweak it that much.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Don't have an answer to that, but it did prompt me to check if 13 was also pushed to the P12 I have lying around and it has. It's about time, but it's the last time I buy a lenovo android anything (they went to beta with 13 in the summer of 2022.)

Motorola support has been such absolute utter poo poo since Lenovo acquired them that it has soured me on Lenovo across the board. I want to get a gaming laptop in the relatively near future, and know some Lenovos are well-regarded, but I just can't trust them as a company because of how astonishingly terrible they made Motorola.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just checked, and still not here on a Pixel 6 on Verizon Prepaid.

I did have a Google Play update waiting, and it now says it is at October patch level, though. :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Since the forum hasn't been moderated in a while I'm going to be lenient, but that conversation about decoy phones for muggings derail on the last page is the kind of thing I'm just going to drop probes on in the future. Consider this fair warning.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Also, in case it wasn't obvious, I am reading reports.

This thread usually runs just fine, and I don't foresee needing to much modding in general. Nor do I want to. Let's just get back to our regular programming.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Top modding, great job :thumbsup:

Next time just post instead of a petty sixer, we're all supposedly adults here

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Since the forum hasn't been moderated in a while I'm going to be lenient, but that conversation about decoy phones for muggings derail on the last page is the kind of thing I'm just going to drop probes on in the future. Consider this fair warning.

:confused:

spincube posted:

Interesting response to forum feedback

I had literally just issued a warning.

Come on, people. This thread runs just fine 99% of the time. I have no desire to change how things run in IYG, and mostly expect to have to field the rare reports it generates. Like it did yesterday. To which I responded by issuing a warning. This is the last off-topic post I intend to make in the thread, and I would request that others do the same.

My Pixel 6 got the November update yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to be out and about and see if the intermittent Android Auto dropout issues I was seeing are fixed yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Branch Nvidian posted:

Edit: there is also a way to force Wi-Fi calling to work, which seems to be pain point for people with this device. The solution doesn't seem to work on T-Mobile and doesn't need to be done on Google Fi, but if you're on anything else it should work without a problem, though does have to be redone anytime there is an update for the device. It doesn't involve :filez: but it does involve going into developer options and using third party apps to trick the device. Not sure if that's allowed in this thread, so not posting it here unless I'm specifically told it's okay.

I don't see any problem with this, as long any possible risks are made clear (bricking, warranty-violating, whatever).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

spincube posted:

You're right, and I'm unsure how your actions - parachuting in from nowhere, completely ignoring the posts that annoyed you, and instead blasting a mild, inoffensive feedback post with a petty RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH sixer - improved this thread.

You have two posts in this thread, both of which are taking a run at me presumably because I gave you a sixer 2 months ago. If you post like this again I'm giving you a day off, at least. Post about Android ITT or don't post in it at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

spincube posted:

I've been posting in the various Android OS, app and tablet threads since I owned a Nexus One back in - ah, poo poo - 2010, and you've had buttons in this subforum for about two weeks, so please don't flatter yourself thinking I'm some kind of Forums Enemy with an axe to grind.

Then shut the gently caress up and post about Android. The only reason I didn't probe your post is that you tangentially mentioned Android, and now is the time you really need to move on from whatever it is you think you're doing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My work iPhone is dying and getting replaced, and thankfully it's going to be an Android phone this time around. My personal phone has always been Android, and while I can use iOS I really don't want to. One of the most frustrating things about iPhones for me is how easy it is to accidentally dial someone because the behavior on the Recent Calls and Voicemail screens are so different, and I had to train myself to be extra paranoid when using either.

That, and iOS settings are so bad it just seems like it has to be intentional. Like, just the most convoluted and Byzantine setup possible, especially when compared to my Android devices.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:siren:Moderator note:siren:

Let's keep this derail as civil and short as possible. Thanks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I just tried Textra and it doesn't see any pending messages.

Have you tried the web version of Messages? It seems like it might be worth a shot to see if things behave as expected there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

other people posted:

There is the latest pixel 8 which is not much bigger than the 5 but I'm really not a fan of the protruding camera strip and €800 is a bit steep.

I have a Pixel 6, and I gotta say I really like the camera strip. Having the phone able to lie on its back without wobbling or being canted to a weird angle is actually really nice. Since the phones tend to be a little slippery having a thin case is nice, and that also makes the camera bar stick out less and even the whole thing out.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

December update starting to install on my phone now after I checked. Pixel6 on Verizon Prepaid.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Having some weird behavior with hotspot/USB tethering on my pixel 8 pro. I tried USB tethering and made sure it was turned on in both places and my desktop recognized it had a connection but would not load any site. So then I connected to my phones hotspot via Wi-Fi and a very small handful of sites would load and work very fast but no other site would load at all. I could access those sites on the browser on my phone that has the hotspot just fine so the problem had to be between the phone and the desktop but why only the majority of sites but not all?

Any ideas to troubleshoot either of these? Google fiber has been down for quite a while now so I need these to work.

My first guess would be DNS weirdness. What kind of computer are you tethering? Like Windows, Mac, Linux?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm seeing a disturbing amount of positive year-end press for Motorola phones. Do the reviewers not use them long enough to realize that the software support is abysmal, that Motorola has a history of lying about support windows, or are they afraid of making Motorola mad?

It's just weird to me that so much of the press acts like Motorola is a reasonable manufacturer, when the evidence is so damning that these positive stories feel like gaslighting.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When you can't access your work email because the security updates are behind it's already a problem.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

XIII posted:

Isn't Bull the poster who's gone through like 100 different phones? What a weird post

Phones and stuff are bull's hobby, and he's somebody I'd consider an expert. God only knows how many phones he currently has, but by memory if he gets rid of a phone it's usually by trading it in on a new phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

someone who goes through that many phones, whether by hobby or profession, has even less understanding of what regular normal people do with the one phone they have and use for a handful of years.

i posted about my charger port being finicky despite having no dust. ok fine! it's maybe/probably broken! i'll return it. that's why i have a protection plan on it.

but potentially having a hardware issue doesn't mean software issues are related. swiping through open apps behaving weird probably has nothing to do with the cable port. or maybe it does! but it's just a weird thing to snap about and dig through someone's post history claiming im a gimmick poster.

Haven't we done this dance before? I'm not throwing out any probes or even really a warning at this point, but I swear this exact conversation has happened before, although it might not have been bull that brought it up the last time.

Personally, I hate plugging in phones or other devices, and have converted everything to either wireless charging or magnetic USB. I even go so far as to have a rubber stopper in the USB port on my phone so it doesn't collect lint or whatever. On my devices with a 3.5mm jack those get stoppers, too. USB-C is better than previous iterations like USB-micro in terms of robustness, but it's still a place fatigue and damage can happen.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

real talk it just makes me pretty bummed to know that the one place i figure it's acceptable to post about my experience with a phone is where i'm getting yelled at, called a gimmick and a clown, and ridiculed.

i'm a consumer tech enthusiast. i like android, i like pixels, i defend my phone platform in real life all the time. if my phone bugs out, i figure i can come here and share about it. i'm not saying my phone is a piece of poo poo even though it feels like that's all people see in my posts. i post because i actually care, as lame as that may seem.

so what's the right etiquette? what doesn't go against the rules or put me at risk of being probed?

You don't necessarily have to change anything, but I'm not telling anyone else to change what they are doing, either. If things turn into too much of a derail I'll say to knock it off, but for the time being I was mostly just making an observation.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just as a heads-up to anyone with a Galaxy smartwatch, there is a very stupid bug with a very stupid solution that I've posted about in the WearOS thread.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Why are there so many new posts in the android thread, something big happen?"

*Checks thread*

JFC.

Mr. Mercury posted:

I retired my buttons a while ago but this would make for a good thread title

Done.

If people want to argue about texting/SMS/MMS/iMessage crap then start another thread for it. I'm sure it will be lots of fun.

I understand Android news has been kind of slow lately, but this circular slapfight is tedious.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think wireless Android Auto adapters aren't as well known as they should be - it really is a nice quality of life improvement. Motorola phones are a dumpster fire, but the Motorola AA wireless adapter has been working great for me over the last year.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Speaking of Android Auto and adapters, does anyone have familiarity with aftermarket Android Auto devices for cars that didn't come with it? I've been seeing articles that read more like advertisements for the things, but not a lot of details and doing a lot of research myself has been :effort:. This was the most recent one I saw, that prompted the question: https://www.androidpolice.com/android-auto-mesay-folding-touchscreen-deal-stacksocial/

The main thing I wonder is how these things connect to the car's existing stereo, and how well they pick up voice for calls and commands and such. My partner's car is too old to have come with AA, and if a device like this could add it then it seems like it could be a nice gift.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As someone who did a lot of tech support during the rollout of OS X, and remembers Steve Jobs swearing that Apple would never use Intel processors, my skepticism around Apple support has deep roots.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have one in my lovely van, but not that brand. The one I have is carpuride and it connects either using 1/8 phono plug or it has its own speaker and a built in fm transmitter.

It works well enough. Only complaint is there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the volume for navigation in Android Auto on it, so that is always too quiet compared to the music.

Cool - thank you. I'm not sure if my partner will even be interested, but I find Android Auto so handy I'm still thinking about some way to add it to her car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

Motorola tends to have a very pleasant and lightly customized Android experience (even if they do suck at updates).

I totally agree, and find it incredibly frustrating that they make perfectly reasonable hardware, have a great spin on Android, but not only suck at updates but actively lie about them. I went from being something a Motorola fan to warning everyone I can about them because of how stunningly terrible they are when it comes to supporting their phones.