Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Got a Pixel 8 for $375, trading in my 6a. Seems like a decent deal for some camera and software boosts, and wireless charging etc. Expecting the battery life to still be fairly mediocre but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

hooah posted:

It's have to have been both my sister and her husband. Usually when an MMS doesn't download it'll actually fail after a few minutes and I can force it to retry. That's not happening with these few messages.

Your sister and her husband are conspiring to destroy you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bull3964 posted:

Can use phone as USB webcam (Pixel 6 and above)

Seems like a big feature - do other brands offer this?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

C-Euro posted:

When getting a new Android phone to replace one that you currently use, what sort of data come over automatically and what data need to be copied over manually? I assume anything tied to the Google account on the old device will come over when you sign in on the new device (photos in cloud storage etc.), but what about more basic data tied to the phone itself like contacts, text messages, and call logs?

Related, for data that need to be moved manually, any recommendations for moving stuff off of a phone whose USB-c port is pretty unreliable (or tips on making it more reliable - I've gotten in there a few times with a toothpick to try and clean the contacts, with little success)

I just make sure my WhatsApp messages are backed up before I migrate. Everything else is in my google cloud.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

C-Euro posted:

Good to know that they can do a wireless data transfer, and admittedly just about everything I'd want to copy from old phone to new (that isn't already in my Google account) has copies on my computer. Though I'm trying to remember why I downloaded a text message backup app sometime in the past...

Not even wireless, you can just plug one phone into the other

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm very happy with the P8 since I got it, but its physical design is loving stupid. The back is so slippy, and the camera bar makes it sit at such an angle, that when I place it on a surface with an angle of greater than 0 degrees it just starts scooting itself towards the nearest edge and crashes to the floor.

This will all be resolved when my case arrives I guess but still it's faintly absurd that phones are now ambulatory

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

spincube posted:

Mine came as a separate package, a day or so later.

same, I got a separate email from google about it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Welcome to Giant Tile World

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bull3964 posted:

No issues with Bluetooth with my P8P and I have like 4 watches paired to it.

I too like to wear 4 watches

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

oshuaj posted:

I upgraded to the Pixel 8 on Black Friday after my 5A died due to the motherboard issue and this may be the best phone I've owned, absolutely love it

From a 6A and same

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShoogaSlim posted:

real talk it just makes me pretty bummed to know that the one place i figure it's acceptable to post about my experience with a phone is where i'm getting yelled at, called a gimmick and a clown, and ridiculed.

i'm a consumer tech enthusiast. i like android, i like pixels, i defend my phone platform in real life all the time. if my phone bugs out, i figure i can come here and share about it. i'm not saying my phone is a piece of poo poo even though it feels like that's all people see in my posts. i post because i actually care, as lame as that may seem.

so what's the right etiquette? what doesn't go against the rules or put me at risk of being probed?

Mostly it looks like people are just suggesting you replace your phone, and yet here you are crying

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

hooah posted:

I've been telling my family this for years, but they just don't care. SMS/MMS (plus iMessage for the two or three with iPhones) works well enough for them that I just get left out of a lot of conversations in my cell signal black hole (SMS over wifi works fine on Mint Mobile, bit for whatever reason MMS only sends or receives on cell signal).

Lol gently caress the US is so bad at telecoms

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smoobles posted:

Can my Smart Ring auto turn off my phone notifications when I am masturbating

Or at least start aggressively vibrating

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShoogaSlim posted:

i hate using a case and never bothered in the past, but with the 8 it isn't so bad and i've been using one for a little over a month-ish now? it feels good.

still prefer a phone with no case at all but thanks to this form factor it's less egregious than before.

Yeah it's fine. P8 without a case was wayyyy too slippery, shits ridiculous

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Skill issue

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uthor posted:

Dumb Android question: my mom is going to fly out to Europe and stick a random SIM into her Pixel phone. Will there be any security stuff (asking for additional passwords, etc) she (and by extension, I) will have to deal with?

She didn't have a smartphone last time she flew out there. I haven't gone out there in 20 years, so I also didn't have a smartphone at the time.

No. But instead of a physical SIM she should be using an eSIM that you can install on her phone before she leaves. I use the Airalo app

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Airalo is great - I've taught 2 boomers in their mid-70s to use it by themselves, the app is very straightforward. You just gotta make sure that the phone is eSIM-compatible but most phones including Pixels have been for years. Huge money saver for me as I'm from Europe but spend at least a month Stateside every year

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I've been bullying my friends into getting Pixels for years. (I mean, when it comes up naturally in conversation). Most of the people I know with iPhones are just from work.

One of my best mates was a senior Google manager for a decade too so that helped.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you ever need a reminder of how effectively advertising can destroy people's minds, just read this last page of posts. My word.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sleepwalkers posted:

Also this. The question "why don't you just use WhatsApp" is silly to me, it's the same reason why tons of people in Europe use WhatsApp: there's been a decade-long broad cultural habit/precedent set that it's the thing you use to communicate. That's SMS in the States, I assume because we rarely had to consider international communication. So the built-in SMS replacement on an iPhone became the norm for a lot of people, and when you deviate from that norm (aka use an Android phone), people think you're the weird one and not the other way around.

You think us Euros weren't SMSing? We were sending text in the mid-90s while you guys were faxing each other's pagers or whatever. We just adapted to a more pragmatic system (idk maybe because some plans still charged per SMS). I don't think it had much to do with international messaging, except in the immigrant communities, even though that's obviously a big bonus.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You can double tap the back of the phone to bring down the notification shade. Make sure it's enabled in settings.

oh that's cool thanks for the tip! I have to give it a good thwack with this case tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bright Bart posted:

I'm not sure I can find that in my phone settings. I dislike how Android not only moves settings but renames them every version. Even Google's own instructions on how to find the settings for hiding private notifications are outdated for 14.

Just go to Settings>Notifications it's not that complex

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sad Panda posted:

For those of you with a Pixel 8, how happy are you?

Works well for me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bull3964 posted:

Galaxy watches only charge off of Galaxy phones. They are only sorta Qi. Even some Samsung branded wireless chargers can't charge them.

Samsung'd!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uthor posted:

I was told about Airalo a month ago in this thread and have a question about it! I'm going to install it on my mom's phone this weekend for her Poland trip on Monday. I wasn't able to see: is this something that will swap automatically when she flies out or something that can be toggled before she goes or something she'll have to deal with when she lands? Not sure about the proper steps to switch over.

You should have both Sims (i.e. your regular Sim and the eSim) enabled at the same time, but your mum will have to toggle over to use the eSim as the default for mobile data and calls once she lands. Also have to make sure Roaming is enabled for the eSim because they all seem to be routed through Eastern Europe or something.

Very occasionally you might have to restart your phone to start receiving data but that hasn't happened to me recently.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uthor posted:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Well, she'll be in Eastern Europe, so!

Well who knows maybe you actually wouldn't need to put on Roaming (I wouldn't chance it tho).

But "Poland - Central vs Eastern Europe?" is :yikes: :can:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nah just use Airalo it's cheap and reliable

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1. Other than check roaming charges, anything we need to do or be aware of to use our phones there?

Use Airalo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh right I thought I had to have a carrier eSIM with my current provider. I won't be calling friends or family except using hotel Wi-Fi I imagine, it's just to make sure the wife and I can phone each other if we get separated.

Yeah for this I just use Airalo and WhatsApp calling

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All corporate work apps seem optimised to gently caress your battery as much as possible

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Secondhand/refurb 7a?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uthor posted:

One more Airlo question. :confuoot:

Does it auto renew at the end of the month? If not, will buying a second month require setting up a new eSIM or something that will just work?

They're website is not clear and emailing support was not helpful.

It tells you when your data is running out at least and lets you top up. Not sure if it does the same with time.

There's probably an Airalo or eSim subreddit you can ask aswell tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Seems pretty busted to me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lowen SoDium posted:

I highly recommend using Karafun for a karaoke party. It's $10 a month (you can cancel after your party) but it's features and functions are SOOOO much better than just using youtube.

You can run it from your phone and cast your tv, you can run it on android TV, on Windows, etc. People can scan a QR code to add them selves to the queue if you want. Even has a neat-o feature were people can upload pictures to your "room" and they will display on the TV in the back ground.

Yeah my buddies have this and it's great when you have a spontaneous hang that turns into a big drunk night and you can just seamlessly transition into screaming some Deftones or Carly Rae or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you want to murder someone leave your phone at home, otherwise I don't care about tracking