Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

smoobles posted:

Maybe I'm grumpy and poor but it seems as if Pixel's features (over the last 3 years, even) are mostly just inventing ways for people with money to spend more of it.

-AI streamlined home automation = spend $$$ on cameras! Build your Nest ecosystem!
-Google assistant dinner reservations = dine at fancy restaurants at the touch of a button
-Live translation = did someone say euro vacation?

Like who is using most of these features? Can't we just get some good battery life?

Yes only rich people need translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've noticed several threads on the Pixel subreddit from P6/7 owners claiming their phones are running cooler with longer battery life since Android 14. I'd still like to see some empirical evidence to such claims though. I feel like I've been getting home at the end of the day with maybe 10-15% more charge but that could very well be based on a multitude of factors.

https://www.androidpolice.com/android-14-fixes-heat-battery-issues-pixel-7-6-report/

That's just confirmation bias and stuff like that gets posted every single update. Phones would be pushing 24h SoT if it were true.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

AlexF posted:

Posted this in the app thread first but it might make more sense here:

I have a problem on the Pixel 8 Pro with WhatsApp. When running the phone on the highest resolution the interface changes to what I assume is the tablet mode of the app. The list of chats is permanently fixed on the left side with the chat's content being shown on the right. With the phone being narrow this is basically unusable this way. No other chat app I'm using (Messenger, Signal, Messages) is having this problem. Changing the text or display size isn't helping.

Is this just a matter of an app not being optimized for the phone's specific resolution yet? It's running just fine on the "lower" resolution but I'd prefer to use the high resolution as it's making the text just a tad more readable to my eyes.

It runs fine for me on the same phone at full resolution. Maybe try clearing the app cache and reinstalling the app, if you haven't already?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Who the hell is doing actual work conversations over text messages? That's a SecOPS nightmare.

Who cares as long as the company doesn't find out

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

hooah posted:

Nope. Going to try a restart.

Edit: nope, still just the spinning.

Maybe someone just sent you those spinning icons as a message to drive you crazy

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I can no longer copy text from websites on chrome in android?
When selecting text, instead of showing the usual copy/select all box, it just opens a search bar for the selected text on the bottom of the screen. Wtf is this?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

C-Euro posted:

When getting a new Android phone to replace one that you currently use, what sort of data come over automatically and what data need to be copied over manually? I assume anything tied to the Google account on the old device will come over when you sign in on the new device (photos in cloud storage etc.), but what about more basic data tied to the phone itself like contacts, text messages, and call logs?

Related, for data that need to be moved manually, any recommendations for moving stuff off of a phone whose USB-c port is pretty unreliable (or tips on making it more reliable - I've gotten in there a few times with a toothpick to try and clean the contacts, with little success)

Nowadays you don't need a cable, the phones connect wirelessly and transfer data that way.
For me (Pixel 6a -> Pixel 8 pro) everything I needed was migrated, only a few apps needed a new login because they didn't transfer the cookie over.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not even wireless, you can just plug one phone into the other

OP mentioned their USB port is unreliable, so no.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

There really isn't a way to do a thorough backup with Android is there? Setting up my new phone and I have to re-setup all my outlook accounts, etc? Or would it copy over if I did a device to device transfer vs a Google Cloud restore?

Device to device transfer migrates some of your accounts but depending on how the individual app implemented it, you might need to login again. Some other apps transferred fully, with existing login and settings.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Go take a look at an 8 Pro teardown. There's simply no room to put the exact same camera stack in a smaller chassis. The three sensors take the entire width of the phone.

They MIGHT be able to do a triple camera system with a 3x non-periscope zoom, but I doubt they would be able to do both that and put the 8 Pro's larger ultrawide in as well. I honestly think having the better ultrawide would be the way to go rather than trying to do a full triple camera setup and compromising more.

I suspect what they will end up doing is the same thing they did for the Fold. Tout the cameras of having the same capability, but using smaller sensors to make the packaging work which again I think would be a downgrade to lose the large main sensor.

I guess they going to to all smaller sensors on both phones and go to stacked CMOS to try to make up the difference, but again I don't know if the tradeoff would be worth it.

They absolutely should give it the same amount of RAM and other software features though.

No but I demand that they put the same features into a smaller phone for less money! I am not being unreasonable. This is gatekeeping!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

fyi that is MOST people. that's why "green text bad" is anything anyone ever says or cares about.

It's not MOST people. Most people have WhatsApp or telegram or signal installed.

Unless you are talking about most US Americans, not most people.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Aware posted:

gently caress AI junk I'm not reading about or using any of it.

Circle to search is not AI lol

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Jiro posted:

:laffo: As of today I have 61.90 gigs of episodes of only "We Hate Movies" podcast that includes the Patreon eps, a few of their Star Trek offshoot, and Animation focused eps, so it's like around 540 hours??? I really like driving and road trips and Texas has a gently caress load of dead spaces when you're driving to get where you're getting to, so if I don't want to listen to music or can't, I have a ton of episodes I can hit shuffle on and listen to. Plus the first 3 Patton Oswalt comedy albums if I feel so inclined. Plus I enjoy taking pictures and saving gifs to post on here when needed.

:laffo: As of today every decent phone comes with at least the option of 256 GB internal storage so your little audio files will all fit on there easily.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
At this point the war over data privacy is lost and imho it's better to shrug and accept that someone is gonna track everything you're doing, rather than fight the windmills, jump through all the hoops to avoid being tracked and still have someone track everything you're doing. There's just no tangible benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

withoutclass posted:

It's not black and white. You can spread your services around, or use some privacy focused tools where it's most convenient, etc. An easy one is to switch away from Gmail, or stop using Chrome.

Yeah exactly what I was saying. Switching email is a huge hassle for absolutely no tangible benefit. Same for switching browser (all my passwords are stored in the cross platform chrome password manager)