Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol they scooped my phone into the wrong FedEx truck and now it's arriving tomorrow, welp guess I'll just read about folks' first impressions for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

are there any matte-finish transparent cases for the 8 pro? I don't care about visual clarity through the case so much as not having that greasy gloss plastic feel.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 14, 2023

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I hear you have to replace those often

eh they're okay but have their own comfort quirks, though foam earbuds are worth a try if silicone isn't working in your usage

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

repiv posted:

maybe a covid-era project that took too long to get to market? the package name being "health" indicates they had ambitions of it being for body temperature monitoring at some point

it sounds a lot like this, though I'm not sure whether the talk about lacking certification was because they weren't even trying or whether it was like that ecg function in some watches

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

repiv posted:

i just go back to ye olde on screen buttons when using a case with a raised edge

the settings for "back sensitivity" are named badly and are actually the settings for how wide the edge swipe activation areas are:

Setting them to medium helps, especially with a case, in my experience

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

my media and notification volumes are at zero but messages still makes a sound when i send a message on my 8pro. what's the deal?

hear incoming and outgoing message sounds -> off

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

repiv posted:

moto maker was cool, someone other than motorola should do that again

I still wish they'd make more wood-backed phones. Those moto X wood backs looked and felt great.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I was wandering around Iceland all last week with my Pixel 8 Pro and it was exclusively how I paid for stuff and didn't have a single failed payment.

Also, it was bizarre having 5g via T-mobile roaming in the middle of nowhere Iceland. I didn't have a single problem with reception while I was over there.

I was really impressed with the extent of coverage last summer, I think the only dead spots were passing geographic ones while driving from Reykjavik to Akureyri, but even clear out on the end of that Western peninsula sticking into the Greenland Sea I was able to do a video call with folks back home.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

How do I get this Gemini thing

only if your birthday is between 21 May and 21 June

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bright Bart posted:

I mean it in the most intuitive way. Does carrying around legal briefs in a Jansport backpack feel serious? Does breaking news to a patient while wearing either a bright orange Swatch or a diamond encrusted Movado? A Miata or a Humvee feel like a serious car?

You can say to the above any of 'Yes', 'Who cares?', or 'Phones are nothing like these examples'. That's why I say it's my subjective feeling and I don't think anyone else should have it because I don't even want to feel this way.

I know right?

seriousness isn't a style it's a behavior

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bright Bart posted:

As for covers I do have one anecdote about that. I was filming a video and for the scene where I'm showing an app on my screen to the camera the director told me to take the cover, which was a basic off-white Samsung cover that I thought looked professional/clinical enough, off to make it clear it was an "adult" (not my words) phone.

Imo this seems more like the director having a certain vision for the shot (not meaning that for better or worse, just that the director directs, "their" set etc) and may not have accepted any case on the phone at all. It doesn't seem like they were outright judging you though, at least.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

XIII posted:

Lol imagine being upset about this. Goons really are something else

idk if it's about anger, I think Slim said it was more about feeling punctuation made things too serious and that doesn't seem like they're upset so much as keeping things light

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't speak directly to the 7a but in my usage the 8 pro is an improvement across the board from the 7 pro - better thermals, better battery, snappier performance, better fingerprint reading, etc. It's more on the side of a noticeable step forward rather than a leap, so you'll likely find a lot of arguments over whether it's really better if you can't get 30 hours of youtube out of the battery or what have you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Celexi posted:

Ah we are lucky in America with Google fi unlimited works anywhere in the world

Yeah there wasn't anything special needing to be done when traveling international with Fi, even on the metered plan.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

crepeface posted:

google assistant is such garbage

time is a lie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

it doesn't matter because it's always the same deranged thing where people go "i need to carry all my media with me at all times on my always-connected device even though it's more than i could reasonably consume in a fortnight." they justify it by coming up with ridiculous scenarios the same way gun owners dream of being a "good guy with a gun." it's not actually harmful in this case so just let them suffer through their sub-par phone to satisfy whatever digital hoarding problems they have

well then consider those folks told

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am never letting a goddamn robot hire a bathroom contractor for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I didn't say hire. I said get competing quotes with rough ranges and availability. This is creating an opening and removing an hour or two of work from your plate and making it easier to start something. Final decision making and details are still up to you.

All of this poo poo requires back and forth phone tag to even get preliminaries and that's only once you finally figure out who you might want to call.

It's so drat tedious and a time suck. Call a place, it goes to voicemail, they call back and you are working and can't take the call, so you end up calling them back later and leaving a different voice mail. You eventually get to pass information about the project and they come back with a rough quote 200% above the market because they are overbooked and really don't want to take the job unless they can make a much higher profit on it. Waste of time and you may have lost the window of opportunity to get someone else to do it while you were dicking around with the first one.

It's not that you can't easily do this stuff on your own, but the point of technology is to be able to shortcut the death by 1000 cuts for all the stuff that we have to do.

huh never thought of it that way due to using thumbtack and/or texting/email for driveway, kitchen, plumbing, and roof work over the past idk 8-10 years. I can see some contractors "just preferring phone/face to face" but around here those guys are all overpriced, overbooked, and understaffed, I can see a robot just wasting their time for spite, yeah.