Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Dessel posted:

edit: ColorOS 14 *seems* to have stock android media player according to some (imo bad) sources so here's hoping.

At least on Pixel the Media Controls on Material You/Android 12+ have the same base functionality of Android 11. Other than design the only functional changes (other than bug fixes + visibility settings) was that the compact player was removed in 13+ in exchange for gaining the ability to Google Cast directly from the source button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Merry Pixmas in ~10 minutes, link for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxlaUCJZ27E

Verge liveblog

Skarsnik posted:

I do hope 14 drops today. I've been swiping away the ota beta downgrade for ages now

Base Android 14 is so subtle user facing feature wise that you have wonder if part of the delay was timing it with a Pixel feature drop that they announce today to blur the lines.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Not sure what I expected the Assistant + Bard merger to be called, but it definitely wasn't "Assistant with Bard".

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
The Pixel 4 can finally RIP:

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1709594298981695734?t=boojINKzX8OB723rcR1TuA&s=19

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

owls or something posted:

Is there a way to get my Pixel to stop only offering me a wipe & downgrade to Android 13 from the last months 14 beta?

Shouldn't it just be offering the 14 final? I have no option to refresh or re-check for updates, just download 13 and wipe.

Last months beta was for the Android 14 December feature drop release, it's too late to opt out if you've already applied that update.

tl;dr You're stuck until December.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Mr Mobile interview w/ Rick Osterloh YT premiere just dropped out of nowhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTqGI4g6-Y

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Non-Dismissable notifications became dismissible in Android 14

I.e. If you compulsively swipe stuff out of the shade relying on how it used to work, the killer was you all along.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I tried adoptable storage and the problem that I'm running into when trying this out is that when I'm trying to figure out where the hell the different storages are on the device. It seems like I'm only able to see a single "internal storage", but it is the same size as the actual smaller internal storage and not the SD card?

Based on the screenshots I see on the web thats working as intended. Amazon chose not to use the AOSP implementation of adding the storage together to show one big unified Internal Storage pool in Settings but instead opted to keep them distinct and list them off seperately.

quote:

I'm able to move apps onto the SD card, which seems to free up space in internal storage but I can't figure out where the heck to put media files to get them on the SD card.

Think of "Adoptable storage support" as "Multiple /data partitions support" and your previous mental model becomes functional again: formatting as internal/adoptable storage essentially turns the SD-card into a second /data partition with its own /app directory. The "Move content to [Storage]" option decides which /data partition holds the primary user file system (the /media folder aka the artist formerly known as /sdcard). So if you agreed to that prompt when you formatted the card as internal, apps already save their content to the SD card by default since the main system folders like /Android, /Download /Music etc already reside there, so its just a case of dumping it in whatever folder you usually would if there was no card. If not, "Move content to SD card" will make it so.

quote:

I haven't dealt with SD cards and android in ages, so I'm just going to ask: should I be using adoptable storage or portable storage?

The tl;dr is to stick with portable storage unless you want the flexibility to install large apps/games. While it's not as seamless since you'll have to go through each third party apps settings and set the right storage location (which every app will do in a slightly different way), it's much more intiutive for your use case since it would also give you the flexibility to manage the card directly on a PC instead of going through the device.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Chikimiki posted:

My mum is asking for a cheap Android phone to replace her aging Nokia 8; I've suggested the Pixel 7a but even that is too expensive in her opinion :v:
Is there anything else in the cheap space? Motorola, Nokia, Oneplus? Samsung is off the table because the interface will just confuse her, looking for something as stock as possible.
We're in Europe fwiw. Huge thanks!

Nokia G42 5G. Has the Android 14 update + its an "Android Premier" device (Google's secret/undercover modern day equivalent to the Nokia 8's Android One) so it's the closest thing to a Pixel without being a Pixel, right down to the embedded Google Search/At a Glance widgets on the homescreen. Skeptical about HMD's "5 minutes to replace the battery/screen/power" program that they're pushing, but at least you know the parts/repair options are there if this is going to be another 5+ year phone.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Jiro posted:

I've been looking at upgrading but also wanting to keep a headphone jack and expandable memory since I listen to and keep gigs and gigs worth of podcast episodes on my phone to listen to when I'm traveling out in the sticks/on a plane etc.

Jiro posted:

I've never really trusted saving Data to the cloud, Apple or otherwise. I like keeping that poo poo with me, and have no problem letting those images along with apps that I want to carry over eat up the phone space and keep audio media on a removable micro sd. :shrug:

Makes more sense to compromise with an external USB C microSD reader like this instead of compromising the device by restricting your options to the number of devices which still have a slot. While there are downsides to not having it integrated into the device (i.e. you'll need a splitter to charge at the same time), the upside is that an external reader can more readily hotswap cards. So grab one of these cases and you'll be wielding TB's of media like liquid extensions of your body

Scam Likely posted:

How the hell do you actually opt out of this?

https://support.google.com/android/answer/14796936

From what I can tell the "Find your Offline Devices" part is the actual new thing being rolled out, the "Find Devices" setting works exactly as it did before this new rollout (i.e. it just disables the ability to ping, remote wipe and lock the device). Do you have Location History/Maps timeline switched off? I assume its being pulled from there, especially since IIRC they recently made a song and dance about a new ability of making that become device only in Google Maps.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
IO starts in an hourish. Link for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/live/XEzRZ35urlk?si=feTit5ie2dM2VQyz

Something something AI

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

is there a thread to live-shitpost about this?

For the past couple of years this thread has essentially become the official place for that, since everywhere else has become too cynical about Goog even go through the motions of watching the stream to shitpost (even in YOSPOS).

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
android time

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
no android 15 beta 2/final feature announcements until tomorrow

not ai enough for today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

Sure, but it would be nice to see them talk about any of their other platforms as well. Are ChromeOS, Android, etc. getting any mentions other than "now includes Gemini"?

This years strategy seems to be "Look just watch The Verge's pre-recorded Android 15/Android XR videos that they'll shadow drop tomorrow ok"

bull3964 posted:

I mean, it's a developer conference and this is what's seeing the most development work in the entire industry right now.

Expect WWDC to be much the same with Apple using pseudonyms for "AI" so as not to dirty themselves.

The "IO is a developer conference so the main keynote's content being dull to consumers is natural/fine" became less convincing when they switched to the WWDC main + developer keynote split format and fell apart when they had the pre-release Pixel hardware bonanza two years ago. It's Google's State of the Union press release for the year, some of which just happens to be of relevance to devs. Even though they're jumping on the same Silicon Valley Gen AI hype train, Apple's base framing of "Here's the OS which will run on your Apple Devices a couple of months from now" is an inherently interesting story to early adopters/power users because the OS is essentially the product itself (which is part of the reason why it gets orders of magnitude more viewing numbers).

I think a major cause in the difference in style is the target audience: IO keynotes now first and foremost seem to primarily target investors and answering their doubts(How well are you positioned against OpenAI????), with developers and users trailing 2nd and 3rd place as concerns. WWDC main keynotes do a much better job of appealing to all three demographics. Even though it was "successful" (GOOG up before market close), not sure sacrificing the later is the way to go long term.