Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqlH7di8oI4&hd=1

In this thread goons post about rpgs -- or make up a character, get in Ye Tavern, and then I will bullshit up an adventure.
    how making a character goes is:
  • prob get a name / description / portrait if you want. Smik did up like 400 in that thread, or have an ai do it, or poach one from gis, or don't
  • pick 3 skill. You just entirely make the skill up. You can do 3 separate ones, or one at level 3, or 2 & 1. Use your imagination, whatever
    actual real examples: 2-hand hammers, smug wizard, talk good, surgeon, fire breath, cooks good, knows herbs, siege operator, minor noble, juggling, chainmail, can fly, writer
  • you are level 1 and have 3 hp. You also get +1hp for every level of "fighting"-type skill you made up.
  • you can optionally have a physical size: [ smallest | small | medium | big | biggest ] & this doesn't do anything except change your equipment size and if you can go in a cartain size passage.
    examples are like: [ gnome | dwarf | human | uh, ork | troll ] & if you don't pick you're medium. For a gnome a shortsword is like a claymore & uses that skill, that type of thing. Troll is too big to use a knife.
  • the generous gm will give u the cheapest shittiest version of the gear you need to operate your skills. You also get :10bux: and the clothes on your back.
  • if you already had a char from an older thread you can import if you want i guess we'll figure it out
    how doing anything works:
  • you want to do something you can just post about it, but if loving it up would have consequences you need to :rolldice:
  • look at your skills, any look like you can use them to do what you wanna do? you get 1d20 + an extra d20 for each skill you use when doing the thing.
  • i can use my posting rig to roll this for u or you can do it if you don't cheat. https://orokos.com can do this or idk post a pic of actual dice, nerd
  • you can use any number of skills at the same time that you can claim makes sense. If it sounds like bullshit to me i will veto
  • your roll vs the opposed roll whoever is higher wins. if it's a tie you barely win
  • armor and weapons do damage based off what kind they are and usually skill rolls just do your chance to hit
  • there might be some different books that are pretty strong & do poo poo, or potions or whatever
  • if your first dice is 1 you crit failed. if it's a 20 you crit succeeded.
  • you can still beat the roll and crit fail or botch the roll and crit succ, it just changes how it happens
    level up & down:
  • when you do enough bullshit i'll say u leveld up. you get +1 hp
  • you also get to add +1 to a skill you have, or start a new skill at 1. If it's a fight skill you get another hp.
  • if you get a skill to 5 you will get a quest and if you do that quest it's like a rad capstone power
  • if you want gear you have to buy it from somebody or find it lying on the ground or make it yourself
  • your level bracket says how much free stuff you have, as determined by me that it's reasonable
    < 5: you freely have access to literal garbage and trash, possibly even dirt
    <10: you automatically can get basic stuff and scrounge up some money
    <15: you automatically can get decent stuff and money based on your rep
    <20: idk if anybody lived this long? prob you'd get like maybe even npc help?
  • if you hit 0hp you instantly faint & will prob die unless somebody does something about it. you can stay as :iiam: or stay dead for real
  • probably you will have to retire if you get past level 20 idk. i feel like if anybody dies everyone should get 6ers or something
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
oh yeah, some npcs are actually the pcs of other threads, not everyone you meet is fake
you can shitpost about how extremely dumb rpgs are or heckle or whatever if you want
it's p loose but basically i will veto anything truly asinine if you insist on being a dumbass

In the (less than) fabled town of Cramstone, not so much is going on. Right now it's getting towards dusk and most people are closing up their Shops, going to Ye Tavern to blow the day's wages, or just going home.

To the South, is the gate and road leading into the Wilderness. To the North, is the gate and New Road that crosses the bridge & leads to the town of Harper.

In Ye Tavern the old timers & regulars have already been swapping tales of General Bullshit and Rumors, like usual.

post chars if you wanna

--

Other than that i've been looking at stuff like Cyberpunk & Traveller. Pretty decent. Got stuff like rules & roles and poo poo like that. Somebody said traveller is p much you sit on the bridge of your space ship in your underwear drinking coffee and trying to get good prices on trade goods, where cyberpunk is fuckin style. Drips it, imo. Either one lets you rig up interesting bullshit and pull off different, cool situations, but def coming from completely opposite directions, different paradigm. Kinda think cyberpunk is better, but it's not like either is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Name: ix
Skills: Fire Stuff, Mysterious Nature, Charades Expert

-----

Nobody really knows what ix is beyond it being a curious creature. People tend to not look into its beady little eyes for long, lest they become unsettled.
It doesn't talk as far as anyone has ever known, but it's quite good with gestures. Folks tend to understand it with no issue for some inexplicable reason.
The small size creature is adept with fire--scarily so. Who taught the little creature? Perhaps its an innate ability?
ix is, at least by appearance, a magic user of some sort as its crown is topped with a comically large mage's cap.

-----

Currently ix has taken up residence in a small dingy corner of ye old generic tavern, not drinking, or moving... or blinking.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah alright sounds fine
    lesse, i'm callin it 3hp, plus ix gets:
  • magic staff: if you get some downtime you can roll a spell to put in it, and later use that roll instead of rolling when you do it like normal. But it only holds 1 at a time, and it has to be fire related. empty rn.
  • mystery bag: can :rolldice: to pull something or other out. what it is will ofc, be a mystery, and probably not incredibly amazing.
  • couple sets of mage clothes. Basically just normal clothes in mage style.
  • $10 in cold hard copper coins.
The patrons are kinda side eyeing but they're not about to kick you out or anything. "Ay you one o them hobbets i herd of?"

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
character time? ok

Character: Gerry Bimbledon
Skills: knot tying, tailoring, blowgun proficiency
Size: small
Race: Gnome

Gerry is a dour, freckled gnomish tailor whose business has fallen on hard times. The gnomes around these parts just don't seem to find his clothes fashionable these days, and he's considered closing up shop to seek fortune and adventure on more than one occasion.

Gerry adjusts the belt of his old school (yet ever fashionable) gnomish tunic and adjusts his wicked sick pointy cap before slipping into Ye Tavern to take a seat at his favorite bench and order his first of several drinks for the night. Getting a buzz and observing the antics of the patrons provides a strange sort of entertainment which takes the edge off after a long, stressful day.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah alright sounds fine
    lesse, i'm callin it 3hp, plus ix gets:
  • magic staff: if you get some downtime you can roll a spell to put in it, and later use that roll instead of rolling when you do it like normal. But it only holds 1 at a time, and it has to be fire related. empty rn.
  • mystery bag: can :rolldice: to pull something or other out. what it is will ofc, be a mystery, and probably not incredibly amazing.
  • couple sets of mage clothes. Basically just normal clothes in mage style.
  • $10 in cold hard copper coins.
The patrons are kinda side eyeing but they're not about to kick you out or anything. "Ay you one o them hobbets i herd of?"

Oh hell yeah, I'm all about that deck of many things bag.

ix gestures, "not a hobbit" angrily.
gesturing that ix is not a hobbit: 2d20 16

emSparkly posted:

his wicked sick pointy cap

Love this btw.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 15, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
P well built for a gnome. perfect.
    4hp &:
  • 50' rope
  • tailor's kit (mediocre)
  • blowgun & a grip of wood darts. Can still skewer a rat with these, 1dmg. If you got access to wood and a little time you can splinter off more ez.
    This & stuff like crossbows, w/e, all shoot 1 per turn, reload is in the same timeframe as actually aiming and shootin.
  • Several sets of gnome-style clothes & ofc The Hat
  • 10 coppers, all minted in Nchuleft. Got the Earl's face even.
"GER-RY! GER-RY!" They already got a tankard out. "Hey you heard? Some duke of somewhere blew thru town, didn't even stop." "Pissed off the guard somethin good."

Grey Cat posted:

ix gestures, "not a hobbit" angrily.
gesturing that ix is not a hobbit: 2d20 16

"Woah I didn't mean it like that, don't gotta start a war." Guy seems a little bit wounded & backs off. "Just makin' conversation..."

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Gerry puts away that tankard of grog like it's as easy as breathing and sets it aside for later refilling.

"Dunno whether I'm less surprised the bleedin' duke forgot his high society politeness coming through town, or that the rudest stooges in the hamlet got pissed someone came through thinkin' they were too good for a patdown."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"The inn's plenty fancy for them types." "Coulda learned the bridge was still out if they stopped."
"Carpenters should have it fixed day after tomorrow, but they're so important the whole group musta took The Old Road."
"They ain't came back, that's the only other way."
The drunks all nod ominously. Everyone knows the abandoned road is full of poachers and wolf packs.

The old timers, tho, don't like the sound of it.
"Earl shoulda took care of it years ago." "Strangers going out around that way won't come to good."
"Lake's holy, but the far shore's accursed. drat kids is fools for trying to hunt out there."
"Mark my words, sonny, if'n nobody goes out there t' drag 'em out, they won't be seen again."

The consensus, judging by the general jeers, is nobody believes in that crap anymore. There is something in the lake, that part is real, obviously. But people make a living poaching game and come back fine.
"'Course there's rumors, pops. Creatures in the woods," -- the intimidated drunk glances at ix -- "and cults, but I been out there and never saw nothing but old statues."
"Sometime Preach heads out there."

There's some noncommittal grumbling and the conversation turns to more important things, like the price of grain and how the mines are doing.

--

Gerry knows offhand if you head towards the bridge, but before you cross the river that flows out of the lake, there's an old overgrown road that tracks east the long way around, past the lake and near some steep hills and cliffs, then back northwest towards Harper. The New Road & bridge are actually old as hell and only called that because nothing really new ever happens here. But the Old Road is much, much older.

Cramstone only has the one priest, and he does take that route to go out to the lake and do priest stuff every once in a while.