Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Cacator posted:

I gave up on anything Bethesda made after I got a bug in Fallout 4 that prevented me from continuing one of the main quest branches and the rest of the plot devolved into "go kill everyone in the other factions, rinse and repeat" so it's funny seeing the same complaints over and over again for Starfield because Bethesda never changes.

I had a bug that made my ship stuck in the ground making it inaccessible during an escape sequence.
I reloaded twice, then decided to say gently caress it, loaded a save from about 30 min earlier, replayed everything to that point hoping it would fix it. It did but Jesus. What a waste of time.

Saalkin posted:

Starfield has some neat poo poo. Ship building is kinda fun, the outpost poo poo I sunk alot of time into (not sure how deep it gets though)

The combat itself feels okay but because the AI is so stupid it's not very challenging.
My first fight I was level one and cleared out an abandoned INSERT PLACE HERE that was filled with level 12 enemies.

Nothing is very memorable in the characters, setting, weapon, ship or object design (expect for the poutine in a can but I'm Canadian so :canada:)

I've still played way to much already and if I'd had paid the $90 Canadian fun bucks for this on steam I'd be upset. But junkpass stays winning.

I second this that the ship building is actually good.
The combat does feel okay, but the lack of anything interesting to do with the gunplay kinda makes it moot.

The base building I only saw as a means for materials and just kinda gave up on it because I didn't feel like finding a bunch of obscure parts to make buildings.
I'm sure some people will like it but I'd rather just pick up materials elsewhere.

I also liked the CAN-UCK food. And cube synth meals, silly space food is a 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm playing it off a fast 4TB spinning drive and it is constantly loading assets and going out of sync unless I turn everything down to look like poo poo on a system with a 2060 Super and 32GB of RAM.

I don't think I want to delete Cyberpunk off my SSD for it, nor do I think I want to buy a new, bigger M2 SSD for it either.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I came across a derelict cruiser that just had a single dead soldier in there who'd killed himself because (as you find out by reading emails on his computer) his wife cheated on him and left him while he was on duty. What message is that sending or lore is that creating? It was just needlessly grim and depressing and it felt weird to take the epic gun he'd used on himself.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

All in all garbage game. Also the level of detail spend just lags the loving game out and km sure that's huge errors or clipping issues causing all the lag because what game engine can't render like 50 walking people.

they also seem to have spent a huge amount of effort designing a massive amount of highly detailed useless junk items. i mean i know that's kind of bethesda's trademark but it feels like they went overboard with it. this game has so much like... stuff in it, most of it either completely useless or something you can potentially refine into a bit of something else in an outpost or farm or whatever, i know some people are into that side of things but i find it extremely tedious

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

on the scale of bethesda games its imo better than fallout 3. worse than most of the others.

I loved the hell out of 3, but it's more a product of its time being the first Fallout game in forever and having a non-high fantasy game running in the game engine. It doesn't really hold up if you were playing Bethesda games in opposite order of release. Wandering the wasteland, when it really is just a wasteland, is really something you only do once.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

I came across a derelict cruiser that just had a single dead soldier in there who'd killed himself because (as you find out by reading emails on his computer) his wife cheated on him and left him while he was on duty. What message is that sending or lore is that creating? It was just needlessly grim and depressing and it felt weird to take the epic gun he'd used on himself.

if you think that's bad wait till you see earth

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Windows XP has solitaire for free op

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

they also seem to have spent a huge amount of effort designing a massive amount of highly detailed useless junk items. i mean i know that's kind of bethesda's trademark but it feels like they went overboard with it. this game has so much like... stuff in it, most of it either completely useless or something you can potentially refine into a bit of something else in an outpost or farm or whatever, i know some people are into that side of things but i find it extremely tedious

They took the worst parts of Fallout 4 and made it into their core gameplay loop.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

RIP SAINTS ROW so the world can get more procedural boring crap

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Biohazard posted:

Maybe you just don't like Bethesda games?

I liked Bethesda games when they had personality, and Starfield aggressively lacks that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also don't forget if you sell any of the crap you pickup you might screw yourself out of a late game epic shotgun upgrade 20 hours later that needed exactly 3 baked bean cans only conveniently found in the first four hours and without it killing the final boss is going to be a massive slog

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

I liked Bethesda games when they had personality, and Starfield aggressively lacks that.

Bethesda worldbuilding peaked with Morrowind imo. Oblivion is also extremely bland. They brought back a bit of personality in Fallout4, i guess, and Skyrim was also very generic fantasy but not quite as much as Oblivion. Starfield is very much a step back in the wrong direction.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Bethesda worldbuilding peaked with Morrowind imo. Oblivion is also extremely bland. They brought back a bit of personality in Fallout4, i guess, and Skyrim was also very generic fantasy but not quite as much as Oblivion. Starfield is very much a step back in the wrong direction.

Bethesda is a "role-playing game" company with a whole bunch of extremely bad writers coasting on the work that more competent people that aren't employed there anymore, or never were in the first place, did 30 years ago.

Starfield really laid that one out bare.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Modern Bethesda is what happens when a bunch of Planescape Torment nerds grow up and make games. Shallow games that rely on "narrative" instead of uh interesting game mechanics.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I finally beat Control.

Loved New Vegas so I might see if I can play that other space RPG that they made.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

Loved New Vegas so I might see if I can play that other space RPG that they made.

Outer Worlds is better than Starfield
Outer Worlds ain't great but it is, however, another Microsoft property which means gamepass

also Control is fuckin sweet

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i thought outer worlds was also very boring. not as many quest-breaking bugs tho so there's that i guess.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

neato burrito posted:

Modern Bethesda is what happens when a bunch of Planescape Torment nerds grow up and make games. Shallow games that rely on "narrative" instead of uh interesting game mechanics.

And the narrative isn't even good :sad:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

A Bethesda game is boring trash, I-I can't believe it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

neato burrito posted:

Modern Bethesda is what happens when a bunch of Planescape Torment nerds grow up and make games.

nah thats not at all the issue imo. planescape torment nerds grew up to make torment: tides of numenera. which is not at all my kind of game, but its also nothing like this mess.

starfield feels very much like it was designed by people who didn't really grow up playing rpg's or reading/watching scifi at all. it feels like the main direction came from a bunch of suits who analyzed the most popular scifi-ish media franchises of the current decade and had the team make a few generic bethesda-type cities based loosely on pre-existing popular aesthetics, but without any kind of interesting aliens or sentient non-human races to play or encounter so literally everything in the game has that same bland nasa aesthetic.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Earwicker posted:

if you think that's bad wait till you see earth

I did I found a snow globe. I guess "earth is a barren waste" means they can avoid receiving any criticism around geopolitical stuff, but it's a total cop out. Wouldn't the fun in designing a world about humanity 300 years from now be in looking at what concepts and civilizations continued and what died out? Does capitalism run rampant? Does collectivization make a resurgence? What countries, leaders, popular culture forces and wars become emblematic? Like there's a pretty clear parallel to colonialism if they want some lazy themes or imagery. Instead we get a world of limitless potential where humanity has spread out among they stars branching into exactly three types of people: space libertians, space tech bros and space mercenaries. They all live in harmony despite the fact they hate each other, all speak English, have almost no religion and no one cares or references anything that happened more than six months ago.

I think I enjoy the game because I keep playing but it feels like a serious missed opportunity. Maybe more happens universe wide as the story progresses but as an introduction it's pretty flat.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I'm looking forward to the next Elderscrolls game.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Really I just want Skywind to be released and then wait a year until the really good mods have floated to the top.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just find it so hard to give a poo poo about anything in the game.

Some weirdo gave me his ship because I told him I had visions while tripping on space rocks.

But it turns out he's wanted by space pirates or some poo poo and we have to kill them.

So he's like 'well you gotta go to the space pirate base and sort this out'.

I'm thinking that's why he gave me the loving ship in the first place, to get the heat off his back. What a loving rear end in a top hat.

I go to the planet and instead of space pirates my hud keeps telling me to identify plants and animals on this barren god drat planet.

I finally find the space pirate base and I'm trying to talk him down but I guess I hosed up a special sequence of convincing because the shithead shoots at me.

After that the dude who gave me the ship is like 'well done'. God drat right he's well done, cooked his loving rear end with one of the 80 space propane canisters laying around.

So instead of flying to a spaceport on the planet he told me to go to, I first have to land in another place and take a train to where he is. As soon as I am about to open the door to his special club, the game crashed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I can't wait till someone total conversions starshit into a star wars game

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ThinkTank posted:

I did I found a snow globe. I guess "earth is a barren waste" means they can avoid receiving any criticism around geopolitical stuff, but it's a total cop out. Wouldn't the fun in designing a world about humanity 300 years from now be in looking at what concepts and civilizations continued and what died out? Does capitalism run rampant? Does collectivization make a resurgence? What countries, leaders, popular culture forces and wars become emblematic? Like there's a pretty clear parallel to colonialism if they want some lazy themes or imagery. Instead we get a world of limitless potential where humanity has spread out among they stars branching into exactly three types of people: space libertians, space tech bros and space mercenaries. They all live in harmony despite the fact they hate each other, all speak English, have almost no religion and no one cares or references anything that happened more than six months ago.

I think I enjoy the game because I keep playing but it feels like a serious missed opportunity. Maybe more happens universe wide as the story progresses but as an introduction it's pretty flat.

Actually they almost make a statement on earth being destroyed. Scientists are bad! Can't trust em, one bad scientist destroyed the earth's magnetosphere for selfish reasons.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The capital cities of the largest civilizations in the known universe each have one bar, one medical centre, a tall building and two gun shops. They each have a population of 45.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

here is one of the major problems with the way they design these games:

one of the main cities in the game has a bank robbery going on as soon as you walk in. a guard stops and warns you about it, then invites you to help out

you can of course simply ignore the whole bank robbery scene and go about other business in the city. but if you leave the planet and come back through the main space port, the same bank robbery is happening all over again. the same exact lines being repeated as if its all going down for the first time. every single time you come back to the city, no matter how much time has passed, the same bank robbery scene plays out over and over again, and the only way to stop it is to get involved and resolve it one way or another. i know its silly to complain about "immersion" in a game as janky as this but like, its a pretty ridiculous way to do things and its a problem that they could easily solve by simply not writing a dumb scene like that in the first place. or at least only have it trigger if you actually go into the bank or something.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ThinkTank posted:

The capital cities of the largest civilizations in the known universe each have one bar, one medical centre, a tall building and two gun shops. They each have a population of 45.

Yeah because any pop larger than that woulda lagged the loving engine out

It's just so awful lol

They could made the game 10 systems with 100 planets and actually spent time.

The loving planets have ONE city on them each. It's so stupid.

Mars has an underground super fortress with TWO bars.

You can't even sit and drink.

Like I do hate that in games. You gk to a bar and buy a drink it goes into your inventory. Why can't it be served to me and drank on the table?

So stupid. gently caress this game

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Earwicker posted:

nah thats not at all the issue imo. planescape torment nerds grew up to make torment: tides of numenera. which is not at all my kind of game, but its also nothing like this mess.

starfield feels very much like it was designed by people who didn't really grow up playing rpg's or reading/watching scifi at all. it feels like the main direction came from a bunch of suits who analyzed the most popular scifi-ish media franchises of the current decade and had the team make a few generic bethesda-type cities based loosely on pre-existing popular aesthetics, but without any kind of interesting aliens or sentient non-human races to play or encounter so literally everything in the game has that same bland nasa aesthetic.

yeah, don't sense any great love or familiarity with the genre

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

neato burrito posted:

0/2 ain't bad

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I'm looking forward to the next Elderscrolls game.

lol ES6 is gonna be like Starfield and the internet is going to go Krakatoa over it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah there are more people milling around an armpit swamp village in Witcher 3 - let alone places like Novigrad or Beauclair - than there are in any modern Bethesda RPG capital city.

Granted not having enough NPC's wandering around has been a Bethesda problem going on 20 years now. Morrowind had multiple high profile mods that were pretty much just "adds a bunch of generic NPC's walking around in cities so they actually feel somewhat lived in."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sydin posted:

Yeah there are more people milling around an armpit swamp village in Witcher 3 - let alone places like Novigrad or Beauclair - than there are in any modern Bethesda RPG capital city.

A different style of game of course (and one with it's own slate of problems) but Cyberpunk made some sections of the city seem downright crowded and lived in. Does everyone in New Atlantis (lol another total cop out they didn't even name it after an actual city) live in the same apartment building? It feels like the total population of the 1000 planets is like 280 people.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
As soon as Bethesda saw that people loved collecting junk in Fallout 4 and then realized they didn’t even have to create many NPCs to populate the world in Fallout 76, any chance of getting an interesting game world dropped to zero.

That said, I’ll probably still sink way too many hours into it.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
can you fly your spaceship all the way to other places or is it all fast travel? does being in your ship just put you in a "fight other ships" zone until you fast travel somewhere else

it doesn't matter i already uninstalled the game (it sucks)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oblivion reminded me of a home depot. Just empty halls with a guy turning the corner every once in a while

Starfield is the same vein. There's not even a clothing store or anything on half the cities. You can't buy cool clothes. It's loving stupid.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What really kills me is the fact that you can just fast track everywhere and there's no interdiction. Like there's no random encounters when you get cut off in the middle of your fast travel and have to fight something or somebody. Like none of that kind of flavor is even involved I mean Eve online did that back in 2006 you'd think that starfield would be capable of something like that. I'm in the piracy aspect is complete garbage.

There is basically no stealth to speak of in terms of assassinating people as soon as you kill someone even if nobody heard the kill everyone in the surrounding area turns red

GARBAGE

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

R.L. Stine posted:

can you fly your spaceship all the way to other places or is it all fast travel? does being in your ship just put you in a "fight other ships" zone until you fast travel somewhere else

it doesn't matter i already uninstalled the game (it sucks)

All fast travel, they stole everything from NMS except the coolest parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

R.L. Stine posted:

All fast travel and yes you automatically fight anyone if you're in orbit around the same planet. There's effectively no need to ever be in a spaceship because you can just fast travel from the surface of one planet to to another. Spaceships main utility is as a place to dump your excess junk you haven't sold yet.