Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
you all collecting succulents right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

they should just add a button to the ui that runs the movetoqt console command. that's basically the starfield experience already -- just fewer loading screens.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Oh you have a bounty on this planet? I need you to respond to this hail or we'll blow you up.
hold e for .0001 miliseconds too long and get up from pilots chair
Crap well they'll give me at least a few more seconds to sit back in the chair to respond, right?
.5 second later
"gently caress YOU WERE BLOWING YOU OUT OF THE SKY"

Ah cool. Would be annoying if this happened another 20 times.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lotta dummies on the internet were going all in for Starfield to run away with GotY. It's likely a runoff between Zelda and BG3 now but Starfield will still be on the ballot because it's a heavily marketed and hyped AAA game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Buce posted:

they should just add a button to the ui that runs the movetoqt console command. that's basically the starfield experience already -- just fewer loading screens.

I do appreciate Bethesda hearkening back to my childhood by insisting on a loading screen every four minutes.

Also none of the planets that I've encountered so far have bodies of water. Everything is a broad, featureless plain with one hill or a valley somewhere. Why did they not include any lakes?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oblivion reminded me of a home depot. Just empty halls with a guy turning the corner every once in a while

Starfield is the same vein. There's not even a clothing store or anything on half the cities. You can't buy cool clothes. It's loving stupid.

there is one store in new atlanta that sells clothes but they arent cool. they are the same exact handful of outfits you find in lockers all over the place.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

SettingSun posted:

Lotta dummies on the internet were going all in for Starfield to run away with GotY. It's likely a runoff between Zelda and BG3 now but Starfield will still be on the ballot because it's a heavily marketed and hyped AAA game.

Some people would have to be huffing a pretty large amount of copium to actually vote it goty. Glad I didn't pay any money to play it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You're wrong but that's okay, people are allowed to be wrong (for now)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ThinkTank posted:

I do appreciate Bethesda hearkening back to my childhood by insisting on a loading screen every four minutes.

Also none of the planets that I've encountered so far have bodies of water. Everything is a broad, featureless plain with one hill or a valley somewhere. Why did they not include any lakes?

The first main planet you go to for the story has water and it's a completely wasted land feature. You can swim but no diving or combat while you do it.
I have not seen water anywhere else.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SettingSun posted:

wait is "goty" an official designation that like exists objectively somewhere? i thought it was just something gamers said about whatever game they liked the most that year

or are you talking about sales figures?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

i didnt need to play starfield or read a review to know what it would be

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Earwicker posted:

wait is "goty" an official designation that like exists objectively somewhere? i thought it was just something gamers said about whatever game they liked the most that year

You telling me you missed out on the bill clinton kid who got arrested for sneaking on stage?
It's an actual event and award, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC61ctX03PQ

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

kntfkr posted:

i didnt need to play starfield or read a review to know what it would be

A true statement

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Grey Cat posted:

Actually they almost make a statement on earth being destroyed. Scientists are bad! Can't trust em, one bad scientist destroyed the earth's magnetosphere for selfish reasons.

It's even more baffling because they play so hard into "isn't this tragic?!" Angle without realizing that A) the problem was fixed so it won't happen to future planets and B) we can set up shop in almost any star system. It's an extremely net positive?

Best way I found to review the game is: It hits the dopamine button of your brain well enough, but less filling than Styrofoam.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They actually do give out awards at The Game Awards. For now anyway. It's becoming more and more an E3-like media event.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think I generally appreciate it a bit more than No Man's Sky because at least you don't have to do any crafting which is always a joyless, backtracking slog with no real sense of accomplishment. Otherwise, it's just the blander parts of it and Outer Worlds mashed together seemingly designed to be as broad an appeal as possible. People losing their poo poo about the pronouns things presumably haven't played the game beyond the character design screen because that's literally the only social commentary the game makes so it can be repackaged and sold in all jurisdictions without having to go through thr censoring process.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

People losing their poo poo about the pronouns things presumably haven't played the game beyond the character design screen because that's literally the only social commentary the game makes so it can be repackaged and sold in all jurisdictions without having to go through thr censoring process.

i encountered a male npc who described another male npc as attractive, which is sure to cause someone somewhere to freak the gently caress out, but also those people are freaking out about literally every game and tv show and movie these days, it doesnt matter whats actually in the content

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I also like that 300 years from now cowboy hats, jeans and bolo ties are apparently still a cultural signifier of someone who lives in a small town and advocates for small government. It'd be like if rich people still wore ruffs and pantaloons today.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh there's some stupid cowboy town o guess.

I really wish I could conduct an orbital bombardment of it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Earwicker posted:

or are you talking about sales figures?

Many different press & media will name their GOTY, or like a top 5. Occasionally it lines up where a solid majority of them are all putting the same game at the top.

So in those cases you can start to get a "consensus GOTY" feeling for that year. Breath of the Wild and Skyrim are two that I can point to off the top of my head.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

15 hours in it's all the same poo poo and boring

I shoot like 5 people then it's back to endless fast traveling between dialogue hubs across the galaxy.

A ship is worth less than a briefcase full of xeno secrets or some poo poo and everything is absolutely loving boring. The characters are weak fish looking fuckers. The cities have horrible lighting and are overall weak and boring

The inventory weight system is so loving stupid I end up just rolling around over burdened 90% of the time I play because you get locked out of fast travel when full up on the junk you have to carry to actually make any loving money.

5,000 guns have a value of 5,000 credits basically

Hot loving garbage

Sounds like a Bethesda game op

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

Many different press & media will name their GOTY, or like a top 5. Occasionally it lines up where a solid majority of them are all putting the same game at the top.

So in those cases you can start to get a "consensus GOTY" feeling for that year. Breath of the Wild and Skyrim are two that I can point to off the top of my head.

i wonder how often that lines up with simply being the top seller? i guess its different than music and books etc since games are more divided by platform and a good game can have lower overall sales simply because of not being on certain platforms.

anyway thank you i didnt realize there were actual game awards and props to the bill clinton kid

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

also, not everything has to be as horny as bg3 or cp77, but oh my god it's like the loving puritans are all that's left of humanity. just a profoundly unsexy, non-seedy universe.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Buce posted:

also, not everything has to be as horny as bg3 or cp77, but oh my god it's like the loving puritans are all that's left of humanity. just a profoundly unsexy, non-seedy universe.

You telling me this isn't peak sexy you'd expect to see in a club?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i laughed out loud at that part

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Buce posted:

Every dialogue option is

[flirt] I'd like to get to know you better

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

by the way thanks to bethesda's typical jankiness you can make some easy money in this game by staring into a puddle outside of a shop and stealing the shop's inventory lol

its in akila the first shop you pass on your left if you enter from the main starport gate. just look for a muddy puddle in the road and from a certain angle you'll see a list of poo poo you can just grab, including like 7k credits. its not even considered theft.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Earwicker posted:

by the way thanks to bethesda's typical jankiness you can make some easy money in this game by staring into a puddle outside of a shop and stealing the shop's inventory lol

its in akila the first shop you pass on your left if you enter from the main starport gate. just look for a muddy puddle in the road and from a certain angle you'll see a list of poo poo you can just grab. its not even considered theft.

I really don't understand why they are unable to program an inventory without it being tied to a chest somewhere in the world. How hard is it to just make a list.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grey Cat posted:

I really don't understand why they are unable to program an inventory without it being tied to a chest somewhere in the world. How hard is it to just make a list.

i dont know but i suspect thats related to the reason their cities always feel so underpopulated. every single npc has an inventory and is carrying a few pieces of junk for you to potentially pickpocket. its a lot to keep track of. whereas in witcher3 and cyberpunk, most of the generic npc's you see just chatter a bit and that's it, there's no inventory poo poo for them to deal with. so really its part of bethesda's obsession with junk items. it almost feels like a psychological issue.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Grey Cat posted:

You telling me this isn't peak sexy you'd expect to see in a club?

I had to look at this for a good 20 seconds to comprehend it before I just loled. Globe head, arm spikes, and a thong. Jiminy crickets; who signed off on that?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Internetjack posted:

I had to look at this for a good 20 seconds to comprehend it before I just loled. Globe head, arm spikes, and a thong. Jiminy crickets; who signed off on that?

All topped off with a fullbody suit that looks like a car spilled oil in a parking lot.

Yeah idk who signed off, it was funny for sure but definitely out of place.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bethesda shoulda made Garfield instead

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Why does Bethesda simply not make a sequel to Where's Waldo? on the NES

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

EorayMel posted:

I heard Baldies II is in the pipeline.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

EorayMel posted:

requires too many npcs

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

One thing that's struck me while playing is there are I think no new features at all. It's effectively reskinned Fallout 4. The closest thing is ship design but that's about it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

Nathen could have gotten a killer consulting gig

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's awesome how they're in space and can make massive off world cities but i'm in this god drat loving cave shooting lasers at minerals to somehow destroy yet collect them.

And just precious metals all on the surface of a planet, just like, out there that no one else ever looked at gathering. Looks like I'm the sucker that does it because I need to spend x credits for some magician ammo or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

And just precious metals all on the surface of a planet, just like, out there that no one else ever looked at gathering. Looks like I'm the sucker that does it because I need to spend x credits for some magician ammo or some poo poo.

Lol that's what breaks your immersion?