Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sydin posted:

and going forward there's going to be much more reticence about green lighting anything from Bethesda that isn't FO/ES.

i fully expect them to think the game flopped because it wasnt ES/FO, not because it was a fresh IP which was completely squandered under the weight of 1000 empty planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The Elder Scrolls 6: Globehunt

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

at least it didn't release for Christmas lol lmao

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

buglord posted:

i fully expect them to think the game flopped because it wasnt ES/FO, not because it was a fresh IP which was completely squandered under the weight of 1000 empty planets.

oh god this is it, isn't it.

"No Todd, you don't get it. Shut the gently caress up and listen- I have a degree in business alright? I know things. The reason your stupid star game didn't work is because it's not a sequel. Baldur's Gate 3? Sequel, established. You bet your rear end this is the last time we're letting you do that, you chess-club dropout loser."

"What? No the engine is fine you idiot, you said it yourself it's all new. We're not licensing Unreal you stupid rear end in a top hat get out of my office."

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
todd graduated from a top game design school with really good grades

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me

broken DLSS,, A pet rock and a broken skill tree!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Haven't found any more spaceships in bg3 so far but at least there's stuff to explore on the starter planet

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Smugworth posted:

Haven't found any more spaceships in bg3 so far but at least there's stuff to explore on the starter planet

drat how did they do it? With game development so hard? Must be magic

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I never even made it back to the starting planet on starfield I couldn't tell you what it was other than a red faction rendition with gar less fascism and far more badism

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Smugworth posted:

:imunfunny:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I never even made it back to the starting planet on starfield I couldn't tell you what it was other than a red faction rendition with gar less fascism and far more badism

Holy crap those miners have been waiting for you to send help and end the pirate siege for months while you’ve been wasting time investigating vibrating trees and getting lost inside your own ship dude

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Merry Christmas Todd Howard!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

microsoft do the needful and treat todd like josh mcdaniels

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

microsoft do the needful and treat todd like josh mcdaniels

who's that

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smugworth posted:

who's that

yeah exactly

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i identify as a fan (fanatic) and consumer

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I definitely don't work for the developer and I am absolutely 100% a real human just like the rest of you, it's only a coincidence that I have played this game for almost exactly 40 hours per week since it was released.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They spent that time writing about how they were not a shill and forgot to review the game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

as an AI language model I am incapable of being paid for a review, and since I am a computer program I have a strong affinity for my fellow computer programs, of which Starfield is one, as such the glowing terms in which I speak of this wonderful product are therefore completely honest. The slang pejorative "schill" is not only an inappropriate accusation it is, in this context, nonsensical.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't think a paid reviewer would do something like that, not after we've all had such a long and harrowing time to think about the ethics of games journalism

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If anything, Bethesda has shown us that the actual shills they use are far less subtle.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I decided to pick it back up and complete the main story. And holy poo poo it is so bad. I'm used to the Internet exaggerating things but if anything people have been way too easy on it.

Now I have this choice to make and I'm not a all clear on what I'm choosing between. This wasn't built up in any way at all.

The whole point was supposed to be finding out what the deal with these artifacts is, I guess they just forgot to put that in?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The artifacts are magic and an entire guild of explorers with the backing of a gazillion dollars are unable to come up with a better explanation than that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

space uncle posted:

The artifacts are magic and an entire guild of explorers with the backing of a gazillion dollars are unable to come up with a better explanation than that.

Are those the numbers of quests per faction?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
My guess was NPCs associated with them.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comments/18qw4po/number_of_faction_quest_starfield_vs_morrowind/

But the comments say this is nitpicking and biased, still not a good look even with a large margin of error.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This is a fraud there's 49 faction related NPCS

I think the big thing I realized is that this game was supposed to be a survival game, and it became too intricate. Then they have to slap together a loot and shoot with a little bit of quest stuff mixed into it. I mean the outpost system is completely a waste of time from what I see. And overall the environmental effects really don't do much. I mean sure they're annoying but just land as close as you can to whatever you need and do your thing..

So everything had to be scaled back, and in doing so they realize they had a significant drought on what the game would actually be due to the intended lack of civilization. Towns and cities were supposed to be very rare and very fruitful.

Essentially imagine the game without fast travel. Without fast travel the game would be far and wide and you wouldn't need to have as much development into it. Once fast travel was added everything became really small and all of the development they did do became really short. I mean fuel isn't even a loving deal, environmental effects are nerfed heavily, fast travel makes everything tiny, overall they made a huge concept game couldn't get it to all function and be actually playable and then just turn it into a shooter reusing all the elements and underworked concepts without actually improving on them

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
Guys I think video games got gentrified

edit: also lol at redditors who I guess took the time to get a font file out just to rip on a game

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Is this game good yet?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

moist banana bread posted:

Guys I think video games got gentrified

edit: also lol at redditors who I guess took the time to get a font file out just to rip on a game

Lol at using the same fonts for both sides

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Sophy Wackles posted:

Is this game good yet?

I've probably spent more time playing the various Bethesda Elder Scrolls and Fallout games than I spent in fourth grade and I uninstalled this game last night to make room for Mass Effect 1.

Maybe in a few years modders will make it better, but even the modding scene doesn't seem very interested in it. Pretty disappointed to be honest, and my expectations weren't super high to begin with. All I wanted was Skyrim with spaceships and laser guns. I really thought that was a reasonable expectation. Oh well.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It is interesting that the modding community seems pretty anemic for this game. Part of that is just that the official modding tools haven't been released yet so the barrier for entry is high. But another is just that, ironically, it's too much of a blank canvas. A big reason people make and use mods for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games is that they have stuff that fires up the imagination while still being tantalizingly vague and incomplete. There's stuff that inspires creative energy, that makes you want more.

Starfield is in contrast an infinitely large bowl of gray oatmeal. There's endless stuff that you feel no desire to build off of. If you just wanted to gently caress around in a game engine and make whatever you want without guidance in a void, that's what Garry's Mod is for.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This is a fraud there's 49 faction related NPCS

I think the big thing I realized is that this game was supposed to be a survival game, and it became too intricate. Then they have to slap together a loot and shoot with a little bit of quest stuff mixed into it. I mean the outpost system is completely a waste of time from what I see. And overall the environmental effects really don't do much. I mean sure they're annoying but just land as close as you can to whatever you need and do your thing..

So everything had to be scaled back, and in doing so they realize they had a significant drought on what the game would actually be due to the intended lack of civilization. Towns and cities were supposed to be very rare and very fruitful.

Essentially imagine the game without fast travel. Without fast travel the game would be far and wide and you wouldn't need to have as much development into it. Once fast travel was added everything became really small and all of the development they did do became really short. I mean fuel isn't even a loving deal, environmental effects are nerfed heavily, fast travel makes everything tiny, overall they made a huge concept game couldn't get it to all function and be actually playable and then just turn it into a shooter reusing all the elements and underworked concepts without actually improving on them

Have you tried bg3 op it just came out on Xbox and it's p fun

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
not seeing a 58 poage thread on bg3 anywhere in gbs whowever..., coincidence?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

judging by threads, gbs's two favorite games are starfield and star citizen, we have a type

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Have you tried bg3 op it just came out on Xbox and it's p fun

Which penis did you pick for your character? I’m an E man myself.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Starfield, winner of the 2023 Steam Awards Most Innovative Gameplay category. the players have spoken.

big congrats to todd and the team on this well earned achievement!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Asterite34 posted:

It is interesting that the modding community seems pretty anemic for this game. Part of that is just that the official modding tools haven't been released yet so the barrier for entry is high. But another is just that, ironically, it's too much of a blank canvas. A big reason people make and use mods for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games is that they have stuff that fires up the imagination while still being tantalizingly vague and incomplete. There's stuff that inspires creative energy, that makes you want more.

Starfield is in contrast an infinitely large bowl of gray oatmeal. There's endless stuff that you feel no desire to build off of. If you just wanted to gently caress around in a game engine and make whatever you want without guidance in a void, that's what Garry's Mod is for.

Think about how much more work a player house/settlement would be in this game. Just the simple act of getting back there. You can't just open a map and go there, you'd have to do the system jump, or multiple, then the planetary one, then finally actually arrive at the house/settlement.
Then when you do get there, then what. All the crafting skills and outpost things are down the skill tree, and taking a non-combat skill means the world levels up, but technically you didn't.

Even as much as a mess the Fallout 4 settlement was, you could get started on it as soon as you left the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Borefield