Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Bad Purchase posted:

Starfield, winner of the 2023 Steam Awards Most Innovative Gameplay category. the players have spoken.

big congrats to todd and the team on this well earned achievement!

I haven't played a whole lot of games this year. Were the other four finalists (Remnant 2, Your Only Move is Hustle, Shadows of Doubt, and Contraband Police) really four of the five most innovative games they could find? I don't think I've heard of any of them except Contraband Police, and I'm probably just confusing it with Papers, Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

congrats starfield!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bad Purchase posted:

Starfield, winner of the 2023 Steam Awards Most Innovative Gameplay category. the players have spoken.

big congrats to todd and the team on this well earned achievement!

Lmao this had to have been a Morbius level troll

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it was a misunderstanding, people though they were voting for it for Most Enervative Gameplay

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I didn't even hate the game, I thought it was pretty inoffensively bland, with a handful of interesting side quests scattered through a milquetoast main story.

imo Two Rikers, planet of clones, and the UC Navy questline were the only parts of the game that felt compelling enough to play for the sake of seeing what happened next. Everything else was somehow simultaneously boring and nonsensical.

Where is the innovation?

It looks and plays like a Fallout 4 mod, with Skyrim shouts added in.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They innovatively sold a shitload of copies while removing all the gameplay

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Mozi posted:

it was a misunderstanding, people though they were voting for it for Most Enervative Gameplay

lmao

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I don't hate Starfield either; it just seems so aggressively bland.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll never play a game quite like ever again if I can help it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
call me when bethesda hires writers and not people who copy and paste from technical manuals

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

They innovatively sold a shitload of copies while removing all the gameplay

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Bethesda has made it their goal to get the mod kit out by February, which is a good idea. They're a surprisingly small company and it makes sense, because the modders are the rest of the company and they need to actually finish the game.

Like always, wait about a year or so after Starfield comes out for the actual devs to work on a Bethesda game :v:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

syntaxfunction posted:

Bethesda has made it their goal to get the mod kit out by February, which is a good idea. They're a surprisingly small company and it makes sense, because the modders are the rest of the company and they need to actually finish the game.

Like always, wait about a year or so after Starfield comes out for the actual devs to work on a Bethesda game :v:

Yeah, about that...

PC Gamer posted:

Robbe Bryssinck goes by the handle Cosideci and is one of the coders that was working on Starfield Together. Was. Cosideci took to the mod's Discord channel today, however, to announce he was done with it in no uncertain terms.

"When the game released I was hyped, like a lot of people, but probably for different reasons," said Cosideci. "I spent launch day and a few days after reverse-engineering the game, and porting over gameplay hooks from Skyrim Together to a potential Starfield Together mod. I ported about 70% of Skyrim Together reversed code to Starfield Together.

"There was just one problem: this game is loving trash."

Tell me what you really think. Cosideci adds "I didn't realize this until after I actually started playing the drat game a week after launch." He goes on to call it "boring," "bland", and says the big draw of Bethesda games is "exploration in a lively and handcrafted world" which is "completely gone" from Starfield.

Which makes his big announcement no real surprise: "I won't be continuing development on Starfield Together. I'm not gonna put my heart and soul into a mod for a game as mediocre as this."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually the astronauts didn't complain when they had to mod the moon not to be totally poo poo, they loved it

Why can't you

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In fact they were so bored by being on the moon that they demanded to bring golf clubs so they could play something completely different, that's like modding the portal gun into mario

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Uhoh Bethesda in hot water after a big quit on the intern developer side

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

it's really fascinating to me that people were excited to mod a game they didnt even play

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The people who mod the games beyond a maybe a couple early tweaks available day one usually are weirdoes who aren't all that interested in the games anyway, only what else someone can make for them to do with it.

People always bang on about modders fixing their games, but no, the overwhelming majority of players never ever mod at all, and the fraction that does mod has only a smaller subfraction who ever go installing any added content mods or ones that massively change gameplay.

If they put just console commands in the menus the fraction of people who ever mod would shrink even smaller. An inventory weight limit toggle alone probably covers half the people who'd bother looking into mods.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
it's fascinating to me people would play a bethesda game without mods

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wyoak posted:

it's fascinating to me people would play a bethesda game without mods

if you play on consoles you don't have much choice, with the recent exception of Skyrim

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Space Kablooey posted:

it's really fascinating to me that people were excited to mod a game they didnt even play

It really is, isn't it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Trainspotters: "riding it? Eww"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Starfield has been removed from the game of the year ballot

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Starfield has been removed from the game of the year ballot

Hitler was Time Magazine's Man of the Year.

Who's to say that Game of the Year should be the best game, really?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lmao

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Light posted:

If Baldur's Gate 3 leads an army to invade Poland next year, well let's just say I will be very disappointed in it. :colbert:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lol drat

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Arc Light posted:

There are some pretty staggering similarities between Starfield and the Eastern Front, come to think of it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There are some pretty staggering similarities between Starfield and the Eastern Front, come to think of it

Especially the part where it dropped from a million users to 5000.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I mean come on it's 5000 dedicated users for what probably cost a billion loving dollars to develop. I mean many people say vampire survives is a great game so doesn't that mean starfield is a great game since it has 0.1% more users?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Tied with a game developed by a single unemployed Italian guy using generic art assets and sold for $2. Holy cow.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
this just popped up in my youtube feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWCWP5Qsdgo

completely lazy in every way

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Arc Light posted:

if it's not about the best game then it would be, like Time magazine's person of the year, about the most influential game, the game that changed the world the most, the game that everyone is talking about bad or good. that's not Starfield either. it wasn't even a big dramatic gently caress up of a launch like NMS or Cyberpunk. it's just boring.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The only thing I was going to give starfield credit for was it included poutine. But then I found a poutine in BG3 so they don't get that point anymore

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

The only thing I was going to give starfield credit for was it included poutine. But then I found a poutine in BG3 so they don't get that point anymore

Can you have sex with the poutine

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

space uncle posted:

Tied with a game developed by a single unemployed Italian guy using generic art assets and sold for $2. Holy cow.

Vampire survivors cheats by having addictive gameplay

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Can you have sex with the poutine

Yes, as is portrayed in the hit teen sex comedy Canadian Pie

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Smugworth posted:

Vampire survivors cheats by having gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I mean come on it's 5000 dedicated users for what probably cost a billion loving dollars to develop. I mean many people say vampire survives is a great game so doesn't that mean starfield is a great game since it has 0.1% more users?

Those numbers are like sale figures and don't tell you why anyone is playing. There are still tons of people who don't know anything about Starfield besides the Skyrim guys made it and they liked Skyrim. For someone not all reading online about games they have to figure out themselves that there's nothing wrong with how they're playing and that there's no point where it comes together or starts getting good. If all that player knows is their history of games and that everyone was saying this game was gonna be a big deal, then they might play the game past the point you'd think everyone knew it was a junko waste of people time.