Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

As subject says, a furry gently caress crawled inside my wall and died in this house I'm renting. It loving sucks. This place is my house and my office.

Fortunately I've sealed off the offending area and now the sweet stench of decay is only saturating my home office. gently caress this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

That poor rat.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

one time a rabbit or rat died in the duct work of our swamp coolers, which was under the slab, in the middle of the summer, like a couple years after my parents built that house. No professionals could ever find it. We had to deal with that smell for 2 loving years.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I saw a small mouse in my house last night so I grabbed the broom and attempted to murder it. I was not successful but I am going to go adopt a cat to kill it then return the cat.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I got some traps which I'm going to setup outside. I can't get the dead one out, but I can reduce the introduction of new living ones.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

if it’s dead and in the wall how & what is the rat loving

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This is what I get for the catch and release I did about a month back. Caught one in a live trip inside my garage and let it go. This is its revenge for the imprisonment.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Chief McHeath posted:

if it’s dead and in the wall how & what is the rat loving

My entire life up

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the smell is going to drive you completely insane until your brain just tunes it out

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

the last time a rat died in my wall I went to its house and died in its wall as petty revenge

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Protip: masking tap to seal electric outlets.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Buy a thousand maggots from eBay or wherever, and blast them into the wall cavity using an old skool vacuum cleaner on reverse.

The maggots will soon eat the rat corpse, thereby ending the smell.

Edit: Alternatively, go goth and just greatly enjoy the sweet, sweet smell of death.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 17, 2023

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Okay OP I called my crazy uncle and we've worked out a 17 step plan

Most of the steps involve tannerite though so I hope you have a large supply on hand

Also what's your renters insurance like?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

the smell is going to drive you completely insane until your brain just tunes it out

I had a rat die in the creepy murder basement in the house I grew up in no one could find it so we just had to put up with the smell of decomposing rat for like the month it took to either fully disintegrated or get devoured by the other rats. And holy poo poo did that thing stink like rancid cheese. I'll never forget it for as long I live.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I have a plan to seal off the wall (and ceiling), completely entombing the stench. About to pop out to Ace hardware and get my supplies.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

it might be a cartel corpse, have you considered that?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I hope you like flies OP.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Get a couple of odor absorbent bags off Amazon. They work wonders when a dumbfuck customer throws a bunch of D-Con in their attic and the rat inevitably dies in an inaccessible area.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought the entire point of renting was to make your landlord deal with this stuff.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This can be a tough task to handle. Rats are always on the move and they could die anywhere in your house. The most likely places where you can find a dead rat are an attic and inside the walls. If you felt that horrible and disgusting smell of a dead rat, you will try to find it. You should probably need to cut a hole in the wall or to dig up insulation in the attic in order to find and remove a dead rat. So, basically, you have to use your nose like a dog if you want to locate a carcass before the smell gets even worse.

In case that rat was poisoned inside the house, it will almost certainly die inside. They could die in the walls and usually on the bottom. That’s why you need to cut a hole and take it out. Remember to wear thick gloves while removing a rat. Spray the place with the special enzyme-based cleaner which is very effective in destroying biohazard waste. After that, patch up the hole and open the windows and doors in the house. The nasty odor should go in an hour or two.

Finding and removing a rat in the attic can be trickier because of the better airflow up there. That will certainly make it a lot harder for you to detect a dead animal. The attic is very good ventilated; however, the smell of the decomposing body is strongest in the room below the very place where the rat died. Depending on the architecture of your house, removing the rat from the attic can be a problem because some places are very hard to reach, almost impossible. Attics can be narrow and tight, so it will not be a piece of cake to crawl in. If the place is inaccessible, you can cut the hole in the ceiling below the exact spot and remove a rat in that way.

The important thing is to act quickly, as soon as possible after the detection of the bad odor. Make sure that you clean all the maggots along with the dead body because in 21 days the maggots will become flies. And then you will have those annoying creatures in your house. They will not be a couple of them or a few, the whole legion of flies will bother you every day if you don’t act fast and remove the dead rat. Never touch the rat with your bare hands and you can use the mask for your face as well.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Right now the home is completely fine except my office space. That's the offending area which I have well sealed. My buddy and I used 4mm plastic sheet to tape off that side of the home. In addition, I have the windows open on opposite ends with a large fan drawing air through to prevent any buildup of smell.

The problem is the office space was originally built with interlocking wood panels panels on that wall which leave slight gaps which the smell is coming through. My thought is to use silicon caulk to close off every seam and gap thus completely shutting out any future odor.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

EorayMel posted:

This can be a tough task to handle. Rats are always on the move and they could die anywhere in your house. The most likely places where you can find a dead rat are an attic and inside the walls. If you felt that horrible and disgusting smell of a dead rat, you will try to find it. You should probably need to cut a hole in the wall or to dig up insulation in the attic in order to find and remove a dead rat. So, basically, you have to use your nose like a dog if you want to locate a carcass before the smell gets even worse.

In case that rat was poisoned inside the house, it will almost certainly die inside. They could die in the walls and usually on the bottom. That’s why you need to cut a hole and take it out. Remember to wear thick gloves while removing a rat. Spray the place with the special enzyme-based cleaner which is very effective in destroying biohazard waste. After that, patch up the hole and open the windows and doors in the house. The nasty odor should go in an hour or two.

Finding and removing a rat in the attic can be trickier because of the better airflow up there. That will certainly make it a lot harder for you to detect a dead animal. The attic is very good ventilated; however, the smell of the decomposing body is strongest in the room below the very place where the rat died. Depending on the architecture of your house, removing the rat from the attic can be a problem because some places are very hard to reach, almost impossible. Attics can be narrow and tight, so it will not be a piece of cake to crawl in. If the place is inaccessible, you can cut the hole in the ceiling below the exact spot and remove a rat in that way.

The important thing is to act quickly, as soon as possible after the detection of the bad odor. Make sure that you clean all the maggots along with the dead body because in 21 days the maggots will become flies. And then you will have those annoying creatures in your house. They will not be a couple of them or a few, the whole legion of flies will bother you every day if you don’t act fast and remove the dead rat. Never touch the rat with your bare hands and you can use the mask for your face as well.

You're not wrong but my landlord already said no to ripping apart the walls. We both poked around in the attic and the crawlspace but couldn't find anything.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Take off, nuke it from orbit.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. 6 posted:

You're not wrong but my landlord already said no to ripping apart the walls. We both poked around in the attic and the crawlspace but couldn't find anything.

Why are you negotiating with your property servant? Make her fix it. This is why I miss my condo, now that I own a house when something goes wrong I have to yell at and coordinate with vendors instead of just calling the concierge to do it for me.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Rats die in my walls all the time but you don't see me making threads about it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Crawl into the wall and die so it makes a giant hassle for the landlord and they have to fix it.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Punch a hole in the wall, remove the rat and mail it to your landlord

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

your landlord is legally responsible for all of this unless you live in some kind of hell place. both the removal of the dead rotting rat and the live ones. don’t waste your time or money, OP

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It's because you didn't take care of it like you were supposed to OP.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I left a dead rat in my apartment (not on purpose) for a couple of days and it became A THING. OP I recommend you get landlord 100% involved.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

My landlord is gone for vacation and there's no one to call about the mouse. Its a tiny mouse but I want it dead.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
If the landlord won't handle it, OP, then you have to go higher.

Send cryptic letters to the cops hinting that you're responsible for murders and the bodies are hidden in your walls.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Pro-tip: Clean your goon hovel.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Three Olives posted:

I thought the entire point of renting was to make your landlord deal with this stuff.

Landlord: “I didn’t put the rat there, God did.”

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
and whiteys on the moon

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

just open the wall and get it out
if the landlord has a problem with it take it to small claims court and win

no gods no masters

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You basically are going to need a full on hazmat suit to clean up that rat and its nest/droppings.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Coffee Jones posted:

Landlord: “I didn’t put the rat there, God did.”

only a problem if you live somewhere terrible like oklahoma

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sophy Wackles posted:

You basically are going to need a full on hazmat suit to clean up that rat and its nest/droppings.

One time, a while after the swamp cooler incident, a rabbit died in the culvert under the exit of the driveway of that house in the middle of the summer. One day there was a faint smell, and then all of a sudden it was just wafting through the swamp coolers and we were going NO, NOT AGAIN.
My brother, dad and I tracked it down on day 4, when it was getting unbelievably rank, and found a liquefying cottontail right at the entrance of one side of the culvert tube. My brother and I then put on N95s and gloves, because my dad is such a baby about smells, and proceeded to scoop it in a shovel and run it to the then-empty acre lot of desert next door.
Both of us threw up on the way, and threw up on the way back after it popped when we tossed it, just from the sheer stench. We were passing the shovel to and from like we were loving Chernobyl liquidators or some poo poo, it was so, so, so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Someone’s sending you a message op. Who’d you piss off?