Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

I just realized this week is the perfect time to start the challenge because How Do You Live comes out in 12 weeks and it's his 12th movie. One a week.

You could make a thread out of this.

my tiers:

The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to watch the Miyazaki directorial canon front to back in release order, make a tier list, and then go see How Do You Live and add it to the tier list.

You're not obligated to stick to the weekly schedule, but I look forward to Waffleman's posts on that schedule. I did a lot of these movies one a day.

symbolic posted:

also if anyone was like me and had to look up release order,

Ohtori Akio fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'm in, gently caress it

i've also been eyeballing the anime streaming thread and i'm thinking on getting set up for streaming and doing these on thursday nights

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i've already watched like half of these this year already but frick it, im in.

(warning: i have Opinions about Howl's Moving Castle, and people will hate me for speaking the truth)

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Cephas posted:

(warning: i have Opinions about Howl's Moving Castle, and people will hate me for speaking the truth)

hot takes are welcome here. actually they're obligatory

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i am busy thursday evenings im sad to say. but i endorse groupwatching with my whole heart

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

drat did he really only make 11 movies?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
hes done work on many others. 11 directed with another coming out is pretty good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He also wrote three without directing them and worked on a few TV series.

I'm gonna go for Thursdays or Fridays, my work schedule willing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i must confess i've only seen Spirited Away (and even then only as a stupid child who didnt think it was as epic and funny as Ed Edd N Eddy and Fairly Odd Parents were), Cagliostro, and like half of Totoro, so i'm practically obligated. i'll also be stickying this when i can think of a less fail title

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

symbolic posted:

added to op

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

added to op

:cheerdoge:

gonna see if my partner is up for Cagliostro tonight since idk if they've seen any Ghibli films before. get a head start on dis bitch

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been revisiting all of Miyazaki's stuff throughout the year since thanks to Ghiblifest they get theatrical showings and since a new Miyazaki movie is out this year they've only been doing Miyazaki movies this year.

A lot of fun seeing them in a crowd, except when I saw Porco Rosso and a guy yelled "ooooh!" in a pervy way when Fio took off her engineer clothes to take a swim. I hope he stubbed his toe on the way out.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Srice posted:

I've been revisiting all of Miyazaki's stuff throughout the year since thanks to Ghiblifest they get theatrical showings and since a new Miyazaki movie is out this year they've only been doing Miyazaki movies this year.

A lot of fun seeing them in a crowd, except when I saw Porco Rosso and a guy yelled "ooooh!" in a pervy way when Fio took off her engineer clothes to take a swim. I hope he stubbed his toe on the way out.

Half the point of that movie is not to be weird to nice young ladies when you're a washed up old guy...........Marco would have beat his rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The other half of the movie is how awesome it is to start with a dogfight and end with a fistfight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

Half the point of that movie is not to be weird to nice young ladies when you're a washed up old guy...........Marco would have beat his rear end.

:hai: and he'd do it honorably too, even though the guy was being a creep

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that works i think

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its aids bitch

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
also im gonna participate and post my reviews in prose form. i did my recent watch through with the dubs so a sub watch through will be fun too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

its aids bitch

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haven't been on Netflix in a hair, do they still have the ghibli catalog up there? Which dub of Cagliostro do they have? The Hayter dub or the one where Lupin is called Wolf?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
it's fun to watch stuff so i'll try to participate

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Haven't been on Netflix in a hair, do they still have the ghibli catalog up there? Which dub of Cagliostro do they have? The Hayter dub or the one where Lupin is called Wolf?

They do outside the US

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

They do outside the US

Good cuz I'm in Canuckistan

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

gonna see if my partner is up for Cagliostro tonight since idk if they've seen any Ghibli films before. get a head start on dis bitch

update: they've seen more than i have. i am humbled. started a Cagliostro re-watch

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
owned. have a good time with an undisputed classic

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cagliostro rewatch finished. watched the dub this time by accident and it was pretty solid aside from a couple of lame joke deliveries. not holding that against the movie itself tho which is still as goofy a caper as i remember, i really need to check out anything else Lupin the III cuz Lupin himself is ftw. it really does feel like proto-Miyazaki in a weird way, still has mostly that rough-yet-charming animation style of the era but a lot of the still and panning shots are pure Ghibli beauty. my partner actually had seen it before and just forgot til like 20 minutes in and they still really liked it on rewatch too. that being said i feel like it'll rate toward the lower end of the Miyazaki tierlist once it's all said and done, not cuz i dislike much about it but it deffo feels like a different sorta film compared to the other Miyazaki stuff i've watched and am going to watch. Nausicaa next week, maybe even tomorrow...who knows

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
it really is funny how it'll be goofy bullshit with a hot jazz soundtrack one second and a beautiful panning landscape the next

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

it really is funny how it'll be goofy bullshit with a hot jazz soundtrack one second and a beautiful panning landscape the next

lol yeah, tho i never felt whiplash from it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I got my 2006 Manga Video DVD with no disc art, double sided disc, and the fake quote from Spielberg ready and waiting for when I have time

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Count me in.

I've only seen one Miyazaki-directed film and one Ghibli film* so I'd be down to finally watch all of his films.

*Castle of Cagliostro and Whisper of the Heart respectively.

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 24, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cephas posted:

I think I've gotten through a third during this years Fathom Events. But it's never a bad time to re-watch a Ghibli film, I'm in.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

symbolic posted:

Seeing the list like that really shows how many of his movies involved flying.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
theres only two i can think of that dont have flying. one of them takes place centuries before aeroplanes and the other is about flying underwater

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

lupin's stupid horseshit gadgets make me smile every time

love that rascal, need to watch more lupin the 3rd stuff

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
doing my lupin watch. (just finished it as i was typing this)

the soundtrack bangs more every time i hear it. the mickey mousing and vibraphones and big-band stuff are perfect for what this movie is and i wouldn't mind another like it. i wonder if hisaishi has ever written jazz, actually

something i've noticed on rewatch is the early appearance of one of miyazaki's favorite story idea, a princess and a "knight" and a chaste/chivalric romantic dynamic between them. in this movie we get the full version with all the players, a literal princess and a guy who protects her and a gross guy trying to take advantage of her and a lady the knight's age he's actually interested in. miyazaki really beats you over the head with a message about the right way for men and women to interact, especially when they aren't an appropriate match, using a very specific and classic story framing, and that's an idea that appears in just as many films as (say) war is bad or don't kill the environment. i'm going to pay attention to how that idea evolves over miyazaki's career

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the Day is thursday right? so nausicaa week is here. i'm gonna watch that tonight

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just a heads up that over the next 5 days Howl's Moving Castle will be playing in theaters as part of Ghiblifest. I'm definitely gonna try to find the time to catch it, been awhile since I've last seen it and what better way to revisit it than the big screen.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its insanely badass when the ohm pops out of the forest and period-correct jrpg battle music starts playing.

Srice posted:

Just a heads up that over the next 5 days Howl's Moving Castle will be playing in theaters as part of Ghiblifest. I'm definitely gonna try to find the time to catch it, been awhile since I've last seen it and what better way to revisit it than the big screen.

i should go see it..........its out of release order but hell, what's one more watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

loling at the fact that Discotek's BD of Cagliostro was originally supposed to have a fully playable version of Cliff Hanger, the arcade FMV game made out of the movie, but the only thing that stopped them was missing VA contracts