Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

I just realized this week is the perfect time to start the challenge because How Do You Live comes out in 12 weeks and it's his 12th movie. One a week.

You could make a thread out of this.

my tiers:

The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to watch the Miyazaki directorial canon front to back in release order, make a tier list, and then go see How Do You Live and add it to the tier list.

You're not obligated to stick to the weekly schedule, but I look forward to Waffleman's posts on that schedule. I did a lot of these movies one a day.

symbolic posted:

also if anyone was like me and had to look up release order,

Ohtori Akio fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Cephas posted:

i've already watched like half of these this year already but frick it, im in.

(warning: i have Opinions about Howl's Moving Castle, and people will hate me for speaking the truth)

hot takes are welcome here. actually they're obligatory

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i am busy thursday evenings im sad to say. but i endorse groupwatching with my whole heart

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
hes done work on many others. 11 directed with another coming out is pretty good

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

symbolic posted:

also if anyone was like me and had to look up release order,

added to op

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Srice posted:

I've been revisiting all of Miyazaki's stuff throughout the year since thanks to Ghiblifest they get theatrical showings and since a new Miyazaki movie is out this year they've only been doing Miyazaki movies this year.

A lot of fun seeing them in a crowd, except when I saw Porco Rosso and a guy yelled "ooooh!" in a pervy way when Fio took off her engineer clothes to take a swim. I hope he stubbed his toe on the way out.

Half the point of that movie is not to be weird to nice young ladies when you're a washed up old guy...........Marco would have beat his rear end.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its aids bitch

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
also im gonna participate and post my reviews in prose form. i did my recent watch through with the dubs so a sub watch through will be fun too

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
owned. have a good time with an undisputed classic

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
it really is funny how it'll be goofy bullshit with a hot jazz soundtrack one second and a beautiful panning landscape the next

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
theres only two i can think of that dont have flying. one of them takes place centuries before aeroplanes and the other is about flying underwater

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
doing my lupin watch. (just finished it as i was typing this)

the soundtrack bangs more every time i hear it. the mickey mousing and vibraphones and big-band stuff are perfect for what this movie is and i wouldn't mind another like it. i wonder if hisaishi has ever written jazz, actually

something i've noticed on rewatch is the early appearance of one of miyazaki's favorite story idea, a princess and a "knight" and a chaste/chivalric romantic dynamic between them. in this movie we get the full version with all the players, a literal princess and a guy who protects her and a gross guy trying to take advantage of her and a lady the knight's age he's actually interested in. miyazaki really beats you over the head with a message about the right way for men and women to interact, especially when they aren't an appropriate match, using a very specific and classic story framing, and that's an idea that appears in just as many films as (say) war is bad or don't kill the environment. i'm going to pay attention to how that idea evolves over miyazaki's career

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the Day is thursday right? so nausicaa week is here. i'm gonna watch that tonight

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its insanely badass when the ohm pops out of the forest and period-correct jrpg battle music starts playing.

Srice posted:

Just a heads up that over the next 5 days Howl's Moving Castle will be playing in theaters as part of Ghiblifest. I'm definitely gonna try to find the time to catch it, been awhile since I've last seen it and what better way to revisit it than the big screen.

i should go see it..........its out of release order but hell, what's one more watch

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
OK I'm almost at the end of Nausicaa. This one's one of my favorites to this day. It goes insanely hard on the self-sacrificing pacifistic moral stuff and leans way far off the princess/knight romantic dynamic even though it clearly includes those two players in the story. The soundtrack is a fun outlier in terms of how much it leans on synthesizers and, I think, does a great job of using them for what they are.

I'm struck by how incredibly 2d Final Fantasy this movie looks and I'd love to get a clearer idea of what people call this style. Things like extremely round character and monster art, snub-nosed tanks, artistic reference to Medieval Europe, is there a starting point for this stuff in Japanese art and animation when I primarily know it from about a decade later in games?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I would simply reintroduce Clarisse more often than once a decade and for more than a cameo each time.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's a perfect scene. He went through all that to get up there and turns on a dime to trying to make a very upset girl laugh.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
it's laputa week, i'll watch tonight!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ok laputa is still really good. very comfy, great adventure flick. everyone should see it. i've seen it a billion times by now.

things that are not perfect are starting to stick out to me in a way that the other miyazaki films dont yet. like, the soundtrack has some phoned-in moments, and there are some scenes that don't contribute a ton. it's relatively long for an adventure-fantasy movie and that starts to get you on rewatch.

the princess, knight, and evil count are here again. this is a much more pat romance and i think that's a big part of why it feels so comfy - you know those two are gonna get together at the end and ride off into the sunset, and they do. it owns. lol at the developing visual language from miyazaki that big poofy business suit = evil bad man.

the spectre of weapons of mass destruction appears again and this time it's depicted a few different times instead of just one. for a longer more swashbuckly movie i think it works really well.

i feel more confident every time i see it that this is a really good movie that's just slightly not as good as nausicaa.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i live for this poo poo

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Love this kid desperately trying to tell his boss he became a protagonist but getting interrupted with work

he's incredibly dutiful and we love him for it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the kitchen scene ftl

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I think it is fair to say that Shinkai is evolving on what works about Spirited Away but I do not feel the same way about it overall, at all.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Diet Poison posted:

I respect your right to an opinion but you've made an enemy for life.

Watched Kiki again a couple nights ago. Does anyone else have the blu ray and think the audio feels a bit crushed, especially at the beginning? I even checked the DVD and it's the same. I dunno, I ditched Netflix so I can't go back and compare.

For me the Big 4 Miyazaki movies are Totoro, Kiki, Spirited Away, and Howl. (So already, I can tell you what I think: these 4 are my S+ tier.) On paper this seems like the least interesting of the 4. The only magic involved in it is that she can fly on a broom. So it creates this odd little world in which magic exists but is barely shown off at all. I think Waffleman's assessment "Kiki's fun, kinda the same track as Totoro in being a laid back thing in a nice setting, but with a bit more meat on its bones." is pretty perfect. Sometimes I want a movie that takes place in a completely chill world, has no villain, and, I dunno, the world isn't ending, nobody's gonna die, I don't need to be on the edge of my seat for two hours. It even follows the same structure as Totoro where it begins with our lead going to a new setting, some fun things happen, setbacks are minor at worst, and then all the dramatic tension happens in one scene at the end, it's quickly resolved, roll credits but you gotta watch em because the resolution of the movie plays out over them.

Something the movie really doesn't beat you over the head with is how ordinary Kiki is. Aside from the obvious fact that she's a witch, but we see two other witches and we know there's a bunch of them so that doesn't make her unique amongst this set of people. Her only "talent" is something that appears to be an extremely basic skill among witches and she's shown to even not be particularly good at it, and it even leaves her when she loses confidence in herself. This isn't Harry Potter where he's the chosen one AND a celebrity in his world AND naturally gifted at magic; this movie kinda leads us to believe that if Kiki went to magic school she'd barely scrape by, and yet she uses this one "basic" skill she's average at best at and saves her friend. If Kiki wasn't there, the movie would have been "that time that boy died in a freak zeppelin accident". If I look back at my Big 4, obviously they have a lot of commonalities all being by the same director but one major one I don't think I ever stopped to think about before is they're all about pretty ordinary-rear end girls in extraordinary circumstances. Kiki is the least ordinary by virtue of being a witch, but also her circumstances are the least extraordinary. You could replace her flying broomstick with a bicycle and forget about her being a witch and still come up with nearly the same movie, though I dunno how you'd have her save Tombo at the end, the idea kinda falls apart there.

I think I elevate this movie up with the other 3 because I really identify with Kiki. Okay I'm a middle aged guy but fuckin follow me here, I also think this movie is about social anxiety and depression. It really just comes out of nowhere: she's having a great time and then Tombo's friends show up and he wants her to hang out with them and she just fucks off because she has all these preconceived notions about these other kids, and this kicks off a spiral that causes her to lose the one thing that made her different, until exigent circumstances force her to pull herself together. So many times in my life I feel like what I really needed was a hillbilly artist girl to come and drag me back to her cabin in the woods so I could just forget life for a while.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
PS: Phil Hartman could elevate absolutely any role. Phil Hartman could have been a talking phone book reading the phone book and he'd still be a highlight of whatever movie you put that into.

This.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

GateOfD posted:

Worst is Ponyo. Turn that thing sushi rolls

gently caress you

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Haku is like the perfect early 2000s anime heartthrob

the best bishie to ever do it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
audiences agree: spirited away is one of the greatest films of all time

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
first of all, bitch, there are sequences of magical transformation-based flight and drone warfare

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i agree that Howl would make an excellent 13 or 26 episodes but i also kinda like how it dodges neat cliches and wraps itself with a little bow nevertheless. the turnip head true love's kiss is such a good bit. i mentioned way upthread how miyazaki works with knightly figures a lot and that's such a properly knightly thing to do!!!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I'd really be interested to see Miyazaki do a proper sequel, I'm interested to know if he could stick the landing. Sequels can be good! It's just inherently hard.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i am just now sitting down for my showing and whatever happens, i'm excited to be a contrarian about it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
man what the gently caress was that. gonna need to rewatch

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
under the circumstances i think we would all do the same

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The strongest read I got from the overarching pocket-dimension, kingdom, wizard plot is a wartime and imperial one.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I think whichever way you read it first, it's intentionally inclusive of a few different meanings. This one's got layers.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The fatherly-motherly contrasts in the movie suggest, to me, a contrast between dreams of ever-expanding empires of achievement and control, where the motherly figures suggest, to me, making your way through life with a spirit of acceptance, joy, and nurturing for those who cross your path. These are applicable to both the autobiographical and historical readings.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I just can't get away from the fact that the meteor dropped right around the time of the Restoration and the movie concludes just as the Imperial military is getting decisively pwned.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats an excellent read.

to the point about Stones, the movie dwells a lot on the contrast between building with wood and building with stone, both architecturally and textually. the movie opens with the gruesome death that can result from building with wood, we are introduced to the manor house through its architectural stone elements, but the places of life within the estate are all wood: the beautiful Japanese entryway and working areas, the shake exterior of the Western residence, the floors and interior walls and doors of the same residence, even in a sense the growing wooded greenery of the estate. this contrasts sharply with the permanence and incompatibility with life of the tower.

the use of this visual language keeps going in the spirit world, until eventually mahito just says it: when you build your tower out of stone, it's tainted. if you build your tower out of wood, accept its impermanence and frailty and even hazard, it's pure.

and then the tower collapses under the weight of its own Permanence, and its residents go forward with joy to their life in death.

yeah i think i've come around on the autobio read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
in addition to the wood and stone contrasts, i think building with metal comes up a lot as a counterpoint. fire water and wind are of course used a bunch, but less as architecture more as natural elements of the world or nonarchitecural human creations.

the two metal items i noticed the most were pigeon spikes (on the Western residence and in the parade scene) and the fighter canopies. the nail head of the homemade arrow felt like an intentional echo of a pigeon spike. wood topped with metal has to be saying something