Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Do you produce things that people need? Food, shelter, clothes, drugs, booze?

Why or why not do you do or do not? Is there anything anyone can do to help you to either produce more or consume less? Are there cool producers that you know of and would like to get the word out about?

I'll start by sharing with the class. My partner and I grow enough food to feed about 4 families for most of a year [until climate change dooms us all]. We also produce some building materials and wood for heating in a feeble attempt to prevent unnecessary global transfer of goods. :feelsgood:

It would be very cool to help other folks that have the time/space/money/ability figure out what they can do to produce more of the things that their communities need or just talk about stuff or shitpost or w/e.

Thanks for reading my first cspam thread :2bong: If there is somewhere else this belongs, lol I didn't bother looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Thread sux, voted 1 :gas:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Bernie 2016

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Stopped posting for a while, went rogue, posted under an alt for a while in the [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] threads.

:berned:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

apatite posted:

Stopped posting for a while, went rogue, posted under an alt for a while in the [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] threads.

:berned:

welcome back dave

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lumpentroll posted:

welcome back dave

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Dave's not here, man

lumpentroll posted:

welcome back dave

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Going to take a few moments to reflect on the lack of responses here, the 500something page video game thread and the nearly universal multiple replies to video game posts in unrelated threads.

Really hoping it is just

In the meantime I will talk to myself here, maybe it will clarify some things in my mind.

We have a few shovels/axes/rakes/hoes/forks with broken or missing handles because I can't help but pick them up for free or near free at garage sales and stuff to be repaired later. This winter it would be nice to try to make my own replacement handles out of suitable wood that is on hand (but still drying) -- but I don't have a lathe that will handle a 4ft shovel handle, or, well, even a lathe. Might be time to get into something like this, foot powered treadle lathe. Or maybe a bicycle powered lathe and find some Amish children or people in spandex to power it for me. https://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/foot-powered-wood-turning/ For two years you could not buy a shovel handle here, then you could and they were the worst possible quality and not cheap.

If I can rehandle these tools for a cost of near $0 and some time, they can be given out to folks that are just getting started. Have you seen the loving cost of a decent shovel lately? :cmon:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
ok sure give me a shovel

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i can help make the app

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

apatite posted:

Going to take a few moments to reflect on the lack of responses here, the 500something page video game thread and the nearly universal multiple replies to video game posts in unrelated threads.

Really hoping it is just

In the meantime I will talk to myself here, maybe it will clarify some things in my mind.

We have a few shovels/axes/rakes/hoes/forks with broken or missing handles because I can't help but pick them up for free or near free at garage sales and stuff to be repaired later. This winter it would be nice to try to make my own replacement handles out of suitable wood that is on hand (but still drying) -- but I don't have a lathe that will handle a 4ft shovel handle, or, well, even a lathe. Might be time to get into something like this, foot powered treadle lathe. Or maybe a bicycle powered lathe and find some Amish children or people in spandex to power it for me. https://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/foot-powered-wood-turning/ For two years you could not buy a shovel handle here, then you could and they were the worst possible quality and not cheap.

If I can rehandle these tools for a cost of near $0 and some time, they can be given out to folks that are just getting started. Have you seen the loving cost of a decent shovel lately? :cmon:

I just took my lovely hoe to the town blacksmith, he's gonna upgrade it to copper for me. Had to supply my own bars though because he's useless at securing materials.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

expected/hoped for goatse in op, op

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Ya'll really want to just rely on Johnny Chud and his $2M John Deere Combine + the latest and greatest chemicals to feed our entire population while we all sit around with VR goggles? Fuckin LOL

captainbananas posted:

expected/hoped for goatse in op, op

Same

Cuttlefush posted:

ok sure give me a shovel

PM me your address I will mail you a shovel*, no joke.

*Handle not included

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

OP does your commune have a fish camp?

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I think this would fit well in the (very slow) projects thread (I've been busy). My feedback is that the topic here is a little higgledy-piggledy. One of my biggest gripes is waste and excess, and one of my favorite things is hobbies and projects, so I get where you are coming from but I don't see this thread picking up steam on its own sorry.

In the spirit of the thread, I buy in bulk and spend time separating, trimming and packaging food for freezing or otherwise storing, and I like to divvy up between family and neighbors when they are interested. It's cheaper (biggest draw honestly), uses less waste, and exciting to see what you can cook with what you have on hand. The caveat here is you need a chest freezer and storage, and most people don't have the space for that. Tips and tricks: Menards hauls away old appliances when they deliver new ones, and sells them from the yard for 20 bucks each. You can't know if they work beforehand, but you can return it and try again. That's how they got a 20$ chest freezer.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

AxGrap posted:

I think this would fit well in the (very slow) projects thread (I've been busy). My feedback is that the topic here is a little higgledy-piggledy. One of my biggest gripes is waste and excess, and one of my favorite things is hobbies and projects, so I get where you are coming from but I don't see this thread picking up steam on its own sorry.

In the spirit of the thread, I buy in bulk and spend time separating, trimming and packaging food for freezing or otherwise storing, and I like to divvy up between family and neighbors when they are interested. It's cheaper (biggest draw honestly), uses less waste, and exciting to see what you can cook with what you have on hand. The caveat here is you need a chest freezer and storage, and most people don't have the space for that. Tips and tricks: Menards hauls away old appliances when they deliver new ones, and sells them from the yard for 20 bucks each. You can't know if they work beforehand, but you can return it and try again. That's how they got a 20$ chest freezer.

if it just takes 120v power you could even get an inverter for your car and test it through the cigarette lighter. plus you should just have an inverter anyway, never know when it'll come in handy!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AxGrap posted:

youre a rich kid, ofc you have time to do whatever projects

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol, nope

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

AnimeIsTrash posted:

And yeah that's the other thing, people take umbrage to the idea of "personal responsibility to stop climate change" etc for this reason and they are right. Doing stuff feels good tho.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AxGrap posted:

Lol, nope

AxGrap posted:

And yeah that's the other thing, people take umbrage to the idea of "personal responsibility to stop climate change" etc for this reason and they are right. Doing stuff feels good tho.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i don't and can't, as i've spent most of my expected lifespan shaping myself into a perverse and unnatural form that cannot survive outside the jar of liberalism my brain is sealed into, and which by all rights should not exist at all, and all my loved ones and friends are also brains sealed into jars of liberalism.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

AxGrap posted:

Thanks AxGrap. Doing stuff does feel good.

I have no illusions about personal responsibility re: climate change, most of us are obv complicit but me growing a potato won't save the world and neither will you and me both growing potatoes. I do think anyone that wants to grow a potato should grow a potato though, and then we should share those potatoes with each other, iykwim. Also, harvesting then eating food from its source is a cool rear end endorphin rush, some kind of lizard brain insanity. Building shelter and tools and furniture and stuff too.

Do not know what a fish camp is, Do not have a commune

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

This guy does not shovel!!

Zodium posted:

i don't and can't, as i've spent most of my expected lifespan shaping myself into a perverse and unnatural form that cannot survive outside the jar of liberalism my brain is sealed into, and which by all rights should not exist at all, and all my loved ones and friends are also brains sealed into jars of liberalism.

That sucks, have you tried doing the opposite of that?

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

I do ur mom, op

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

ur mom is helping Woke Mind Virus make the app that's going to allow me to turn your playstation into a shovel, OP

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

how da gently caress do you grow enough food to feed 4 families? ive converted almost all of my (admittedly meager) back yard into garden and I've been barely able to cover say like 30% of caloric intake for my wife and I. maybe if I were a master gardener and only grew potatoes I could maybe get closer 100% but that'd be a lot of fuckin potatoes.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Sounds like you need some chickens and a whole lot more potats :hfive:

Also, meat. Also, it's all about the soil, which is why you gotta have the shovels! Fruit - put in some dwarf apple trees if your yard is small (ours is, well, not small.) Berry bushes, some mushrooms - you can grow those on a log or on woodchips (we just harvest wild mushrooms, fair point that I don't have fuckall to do with producing anything there.) Grow vertically! I started trellising my tomatoes instead of letting the dumb things just sprawl all over and it saved so much space. Same for cucumbers and some melons/squash. Grow things you can store, onions, pie pumpkins, winter squash, more apples!

Succession planting. You could grow one crop of beets or you could grow 3 crops of beets, y'know? You can grow some leaf lettuce or radishes while you are waiting for your sweet potatoes (mmm various potatoes) to grow. Dense planting! This will cut down on mulching, weeding, and sanity.

Have lurked the DIY subforum gardening thread briefly a couple of times, good stuff going on in there for sure with some knowledgeable ppl

apatite has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Sep 21, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

apatite posted:

Also, meat. Also, it's all about the soil, which is why you gotta have the shovels! Fruit - put in some dwarf apple trees if your yard is small (ours is, well, not small.) Berry bushes, some mushrooms - you can grow those on a log or on woodchips (we just harvest wild mushrooms, fair point that I don't have fuckall to do with producing anything there.) Grow vertically! I started trellising my tomatoes instead of letting the dumb things just sprawl all over and it saved so much space. Same for cucumbers and some melons/squash. Grow things you can store, onions, pie pumpkins, winter squash, more apples!

Succession planting. You could grow one crop of beets or you could grow 3 crops of beets, y'know? You can grow some leaf lettuce or radishes while you are waiting for your sweet potatoes (mmm various potatoes) to grow. Dense planting! This will cut down on mulching, weeding, and sanity.

Have lurked the DIY subforum gardening thread briefly a couple of times, good stuff going on in there for sure with some knowledgeable ppl

cutting down on sanity ftw

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

sorry to ask,I didn't see it posted anywhere or maybe I missed it, but is that four families worth of food going to four families?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Don't be sorry for asking, sadly the answer is not entirely. We have some people that regularly want a variety and all the eggs go to just a few people but we aren't a CSA or anything. Many of the people we know already produce some amount of their own food or are hooked in with others that do. I would really like to get there but the model I'd like to follow are some freaky ppl sort of nearby that are sandwiched between two unis that actually have people that like fresh good food really close. This is one of our weak points -for sure- (also the sanity reduction)

I made a stool out of some scrap wood but someone said imgur is garbage now? gotta figure out how to handle posting pictures on the internet again.

apatite has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Sep 21, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

apatite posted:

I'm not a total neophyte to home gardening, but I'm still not sure I could get there. If I convert my entire front yard* and accounted for shade I probably have 500sqft in total to work with, and even with livestock (which I can't keep where I live) I don't think that's enough for two people even with super efficient techniques (and assuming no soil degradation, etc). What does 4 families look like? gotta be at least 2-3 acres

anyway I'm sure I could get further than I'm getting now but unfortunately I must sell my labor to survive and that limits how often I can gently caress around in the garden

*which I'm working on but the front is going to be mostly non-edible

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

apatite posted:

I made a stool out of some scrap wood but someone said imgur is garbage now? gotta figure out how to handle posting pictures on the internet again.

ignore the nerds and just use imgur

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

ignore the nerds and just use imgur

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AxGrap posted:

Climate change specifically is such an issue because individual action does basically nothing

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I'm not a total neophyte to home gardening, but I'm still not sure I could get there. If I convert my entire front yard* and accounted for shade I probably have 500sqft in total to work with, and even with livestock (which I can't keep where I live) I don't think that's enough for two people even with super efficient techniques (and assuming no soil degradation, etc). What does 4 families look like? gotta be at least 2-3 acres

anyway I'm sure I could get further than I'm getting now but unfortunately I must sell my labor to survive and that limits how often I can gently caress around in the garden

*which I'm working on but the front is going to be mostly non-edible

apatite posted:

My partner and I grow enough food to feed about 4 families for most of a year [until climate change dooms us all].

As expanded on for Lpzie, note the 'about' and 'most' - feel free to roast me for that claim as I don't have an accurate gauge. It's more than 4x of what the two of us need for 'most' of a year, is all I can really go by. That is as of this year, it's expanded every year for 4yrs but don't plan to go bigger currently. We do buy some food, partially just for variety and could preserve more if not for jobs and lack of time. Currently the outlets are gifting and direct sales at less than retail market rate. Some goes to a food bank, small percentage gets fed to animals or last resort composted. We definitely are not scaled to provide an entire year's calories for the vague unit of four families.

It sounds like you are doing really good things in a small space and you can only do what you can do but you should be proud of whatever that is. 500ft^2 is not a lot especially with herbs or ornamentals mixed in, unfortunately this poo poo takes up a lot of space as you know. Serious respect for the sort of food not lawns vibe you are projecting or I am inferring. Also completely understand the selling of the labor, and am right there with you atm.

comedy option: eat bugs lol

apatite has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Sep 21, 2023

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
just how much land do you own, op?

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

apatite posted:

it’s called from each according to ability bitch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i produce live entertainment and live entertainment accessories, op.

but hopefully not for much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Punished Turtle posted:

it’s called from each according to ability bitch